closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping in cars...

Master

Camping in cars...

Have any of you got experience of camping out in a car? So snacks, supplies, mattress in the back and head away somewhere randomly every so often for a night or two?

I never know know when I’ll have time, so it’s a bit too last-minute to start hiring camper vans etc, I don’t have the space for a caravan, even a small one etc, and my new car is easily large enough to accommodate two adults with the seats down. So it kind of makes some sense somewhere in the realms of the universe.

My main concerns are things like toilets and washing etc, plus safety when we’re parked up for the night (good/bad locations etc).

So if anybody has done this, maybe you could give me some tips, or just tell me if I’m completely nuts (I am btw) :-)

Just do it. A local swimming pool or gym is a good place for a shower. Two decent sleeping bags zipped together, and a decent mat underneath is good enough. I’ve spent nights in cars and vans in the last - all good.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Treat it like an adventure.
    Good sleepeng bags are important as in a car it will get very cold, I think colder than in a tent, and with lots of condensation. The safety in UK is fine, if you don't have the luck to park in a dogging spot :)

Master
    I've done this a number of times and you are correct, safety is an issue, as is the horn-blowing of any passing car, thinking you are engaged in amorous pursuits. You can't go to the pub till bedtime as legally you are in control of the vehicle even if you had no intention of driving anywhere and any Police officer could breathalyse you. And in summer you will wake up at 4.30 to a beautiful sunrise and the dawn chorus.

Any passing Police patrol will also be tapping on your window to see what you are up to, or if you are on private land be prepared for how early farmers wake up these days. Don't think the nearest Tesco car park is any better either - CCTV/Parking Eye cameras etc are all out to get you.

Other than that, you steam up the windows, and the car potentially smells of damp, sweat and extraneous bodily gases for a few days. Other than that, have a good time exploring new places.

I do it for a few weeks every summer with my bikes in France.

You don't need to overthink it. Stay in campsites as required for showers etc.

The only big choice you have is whether you want to eat out or cook. I do the former as it saves cooking gear and keeping loads of fresh food.

You really don't need much more than a pop up or blow up tent from decathon with a blow up matress and a couple of suitable sleeping bags. No need to even spend much.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seco...d_8384154.html
    https://www.mattressman.co.uk/airbed...le-airbed.aspx
    Sleeping bags in decathlon are again great value but you can use your own bedding.
    Add a hand pump for the tent and a motor pump for the mattress as well as a couple of lights and you;ll come in under £300 for quality gear.

This kind of kit is decathlon's sweet spot and you won't find better at anything like the same money.

Just realised you meant sleep in the car.

I wouldn't do that. I've done it in a van on an airbed, but a car is far too small to be comfortable.

Not a chance.

Master
    PS - I am old enough to remember the heyday of the Austin Maxi which, amongst the advertised features, were seats that folded completely flat to make an acceptable bed.

Master
    I slept in my car once. Never again. It would be more comfortable just sleeping underneath on the ground. Unless you're thinking of breaking out the tools and going a bit Top Gear

Master
    The only time I kip I'm my car these days is if I'm away sea fishing, I have an insignia estate so plenty of room

Did you mention washing?? I thought that was just for girls Lol, joking aside you can always take a bit of soap and water, but I generally just come home stinking the next day from a fishing trip.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

You can get a pretty good wash using these:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...FYcg0woda64G4g

And for taking a leak, an empty one of the these:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...0885-5396-5397

And for the ladies, something like this:

http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/u...iABEgICWPD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good grief, man - just find a local hotel or B&B!

Yep do-able, good sleeping bag and full size pillow a must,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief, man - just find a local hotel or B&B!
    And looking at your Watch collection I always thought you was a man of adventure Tony! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    And looking at your Watch collection I always thought you was a man of adventure Tony! ;-)

There's adventure, then there's hell on earth!

I’ve done it a couple of times in desperation and sorry but I think it’s the worst idea ever. It’s bad enough climbing in a sleeping bag normally but in the back of an estate, nope. The car windows will need to be cracked at least for ventilation even then you’ll steam up. There’s zero privacy and the massive issue of exactly where you’re going to park. Get a mid size tent and plan around the many sites we have in the U.K., use Airbnb, the cheap travel lodge type accommodation, or the YHA, rather than sleep in a car.

We’ve used 4 different YHA places in the last year for some brilliant weekends away, Cardiff, South Downs, Glastonbury and Stratford upon Avon. Really enjoyed them, they’re not just for youngsters any more (we’re both over 60) and you’re supporting a good cause at the same time.

I agree it’s not a great idea. Compared to a tent, you’ll be colder. Compared to a double skinned tent it will be damper, no privacy and if it rains in an unsettled wind you’ll spend the night trying to get the right windows opened without soaking your car. Comfort will be no better than in the tent, too.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    There's adventure, then there's hell on earth!
    PMSL

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    ... and it's not allowed over here. Especially near the beaches, the fines are high.

This is what you need:

On the Honda USA's parts list.

Camping in cars...

Would that be authorised in NL Menno? If yes, what’s the thinking behind the ban?

Done it in France many times. Just recline the seat a bit and nod off. The Autoroute stops are full of people doing the same in Summer.
    Not the same in UK - will be colder, certainly no o/n parking at services and anywhere elsewhere I’d be concerned about safety.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I agree it’s not a great idea. Compared to a tent, you’ll be colder. Compared to a double skinned tent it will be damper, no privacy and if it rains in an unsettled wind you’ll spend the night trying to get the right windows opened without soaking your car. Comfort will be no better than in the tent, too.
    To be fair, and this is from someone who has spent a few nights in a tin box, i agree with this post entirely.... Like i said the only time i do it is if i drive to Anglesea for a Sea Fishing session and fish well into the night and then get a few hours kip before returning home, its very uncountable and if windy rocks the Car about making it hard to sleep, but for some reason i quite enjoy doing this on the odd accasion.

Here's a pic of a 10lb Small eyed Ray i caught on a remote Anglesea beach the last time i kipped in the Car about two years ago, thought the pic would add to the story lol

IMG_1600.JPG

The nodding off from a motorway stop is actually a very good safety tip to avoid falling asleep at the wheel. It is however different from spending the night in your car for camping purposes

Camping in cars...

When i go sometimes with my son for fishing or at mountains we use an inflatable car double bed for my pajero shogun. Selling for about €70
    He loves it
    Its a big car thought and can take hundreds of gear
    Wife would never do thatIMG_0129.JPG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    When i go sometimes with my son for fishing or at mountains we use an inflatable car double bed for my pajero shogun. Selling for about €70
    He loves it
    Its a big car thought and can take hundreds of gear
    Wife would never do thatIMG_0129.JPG
    Now that looks comfy, all you need is one of those toilet tent thingies and a potty and you have a home from home!

Master
    Lol so it’s a great idea then

In response to Tony, hotels are great but they add to costs and I forgot in my main post about taking the dogs, but that would make the scenario worse I guess, judging by the current responses.

Will start art looking into camp sites and the tent options. If that’s not too pricey, it could still work really nicely.

Blog Entries
    Would that be authorised in NL Menno? If yes, what’s the thinking behind the ban?
    You're not allowed to camp on (in?) public parkings. Has to do with litter, toilet use and -near the dunes- fire hazard when bbq'ing. Lot of youngsters who like to surf try to spend the night as close as possible near the sea and it was often like a bomb had exploded on the parkings. Especially in the SW (Zeeland) there are a lot of designated camping spots (run by the council) where one can use the toilets, can cook etc. Costs are lower than low.

The Honda-tent is a nice feature when you're travelling to the south of France etc: just one night on a camping without the hassle of unpacking all.

M

Master
    For the past two or three months every morning I drive past a Range Rover with a person sleeping in a tent attached to the roof.

I thought it would be short ter but he's still doing it, even in freezing conditions.

The set up looks great for a holiday but I wouldn't want to live in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Lol so it’s a great idea then

In response to Tony, hotels are great but they add to costs and I forgot in my main post about taking the dogs, but that would make the scenario worse I guess, judging by the current responses.

Will start art looking into camp sites and the tent options. If that’s not too pricey, it could still work really nicely.
    Tents and campsite fees are cheap these days Wayne, no need to rough it in a car really, i had a brand new Vango tunnel tent you could have had but i gave it to a work colleague last year as he was going to a music festival

So i take it you have never Camped before?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    For the past two or three months every morning I drive past a Range Rover with a person sleeping in a tent attached to the roof.

I thought it would be short ter but he's still doing it, even in freezing conditions.

The set up looks great for a holiday but I wouldn't want to live in it!

And do you think he's actually living in it Rodder?

I could quite easily live in a nice Camper Van, in fact i would be in my element travelling around Fishing the UK coast, Hmmm how much equity have i got in my Bungalow! Lol

Master
    Tents and campsite fees are cheap these days Wayne, no need to rough it in a car really, i had a brand new Vango tunnel tent you could have had but i gave it to a work colleague last year as he was going to a music festival

So i take it you have never Camped before?

Thanks Matt, no, can you tell?

I just want to go away more with my GF and the dogs that's all. Not every week but we live all of 90mins from places like the Lake District etc, so it seems a shame to not get out there sometimes.

Total newbie to anything like this and therefore happy to seem as naive as can possibly be; probably already succeeded at this!

Craftsman
    Something similar on my mind, I've been looking at one of the VW Transporter with a pop top and drive away awning.
    The van can be used as an everyday drive about and I think they look the business.
    Only one problem, they are bloody expensive!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Something similar on my mind, I've been looking at one of the VW Transporter with a pop top and drive away awning.
    The van can be used as an everyday drive about and I think they look the business.
    Only one problem, they are bloody expensive!!!!

Totally aree, but that's more an actual camper and we just don't have the space etc. I think if camp sites are reasonably priced, this may be the thing I've over-looked the most.

Dogs in, tent in, some supplies and off we go for a couple of days.

The lakes are a wonderful place for camping Wayne. And your proximity means you can decide quite late in the week to go for the WE, and pick your weather. I have camped semi-wild (a farmer’s site with toilet facilities and a tap) around Coniston but going with SWMBO means proper campsite is best. If she is fussy have a look at cots in go outdoors or equivalent, and add a good semi inflatable mattress. If she doesn’t like it you’ll struggle to go again so worth playing your cards right. Small portable bbq is really enjoyable but you can buy one of those disposable ones, and get a £10 stove and a kettle. The stove allows you to cook breakfast too which is a feast when camping. Oh, and dogs love it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a great fan of getting the cheapest flight somewhere interesting, hiring a car and then sleeping in it while touring around. I’ve done pretty well all of Israel this way. When you get somewhere interesting hit the B&B. There’s nothing worse than trying to find somewhere to stay in a foreign country when you are at the far end of a long drive. Just pulling up, winding the seat all the way back and pulling one of those fleece blankets over you just works. Don’t forget water, hand sanitizer and to visit the loo thoroughly in the last few hours before you stop. Easy.

I got in the habit when I was married to a woman from Florence and I inevitably was asked to drive over with the car while she flew with the kids. That was more catnapping when I got tired though. I really like driving long distances quite quickly and hotels slow you down far more than you’d think.

Master
    The lakes are a wonderful place for camping Wayne. And your proximity means you can decide quite late in the week to go for the WE, and pick your weather. I have camped semi-wild (a farmer’s site with toilet facilities and a tap) around Coniston but going with SWMBO means proper campsite is best. If she is fussy have a look at cots in go outdoors or equivalent, and add a good semi inflatable mattress. If she doesn’t like it you’ll struggle to go again so worth playing your cards right. Small portable bbq is really enjoyable but you can buy one of those disposable ones, and get a £10 stove and a kettle. The stove allows you to cook breakfast too which is a feast when camping. Oh, and dogs love it.
    Great, thanks. We’re going to head to a couple of stores soon and see what the equipment is all about. Ideally we’ll end up with a set up that can be erected easily and efficiently and left on its own for the day whilst we drive around locally.

I’ll have a look at stoves; I have a tiny camping stove somewhere but that won’t cook a full English :-D

Master
    Check out the Croft campsite in Hawkshead in the lake district Wayne, maybe not the cheapest as far as campsites go but it won't break the bank, it's only over the road from the village that has about five pubs, but worth checking if there dog friendly First, from memory a couple are.

If you can afford it, and can carry it on your roof, an Oz tent is probably the fastest to erect. Great quality and ideal for a last minute decision as it’s so easy to set up (5 minutes on your own). Not cheap though. Have a look here: https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...tent-rv-3-129/
    (PS: no affiliation. I own 3 tents including a Tentipi but no Oztent as couldn’t carry on the roof when looking for a good tent. Have used one though. )

Master
    Control of the sheeple.

Master
    Check out the Croft campsite in Hawkshead in the lake district Wayne, maybe not the cheapest as far as campsites go but it won't break the bank, it's only over the road from the village that has about five pubs, but worth checking if there dog friendly First, from memory a couple are.

Will do, sounds good!

If you can afford it, and can carry it on your roof, an Oz tent is probably the fastest to erect. Great quality and ideal for a last minute decision as it’s so easy to set up (5 minutes on your own). Not cheap though. Have a look here: https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...tent-rv-3-129/
    (PS: no affiliation. I own 3 tents including a Tentipi but no Oztent as couldn’t carry on the roof when looking for a good tent. Have used one though. )
    Have you ever tried one of these tents that sits on top of a roof rack? I’d imagine it’s good you’re off the ground, but gusts may not be ideal. The type you see on top of Land rovers that start off as a roof box and then extract into a tent in situ?

I haven’t tried them myself. You do need a Land Rover or such like though, as stiff shock absorbers are a must if you don’t want to get sea sick. Also, the possible mid night comfort break becomes an expedition and Mrs SJ would strongly disapprove

Master
    Instead of an airbed consider an expanding mat. Although more expensive they are much warmer & don't lose air overnight. Thermarest & Outwell are two brands to look at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZLWTJHM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/THERMAREST-.../dp/B018APB96K
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0170LR7QG

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have done and still do this, however I certainly would not recommend it for a couple due to the lack of space and facilities and a decent sized car is an absolute must.

I treat this as a means to an end, born out of necessity, rather than a fun thing to do. I used to drive overnight from Suffolk to Cornwall in a 1970's BMW 3 series and used to curl up in the back for a few hours..
    I started in ernest when as a friend had a very small cottage in a remote location where he would have some large and wild parties.
    Most party goers would walk the 3-5 miles home when they felt like it, or crash out round a campfire, which is no fun in the rain.

I had had enough after one night where the only place to sleep was the generator shed or the bath, I chose the bath but was constantly awoken by people doing their 'business'.
    As I was after a new car I chose a Toyota Hilux surf which meant I could A) get a full sized air bed in the back, B) drive right up to the party (impossible without a 4x4). Electric rear window and a drop down tailgate gave somewhere to sit and cook. For privacy sometimes I would just drape a blanket over the back if it was not too windy, it didn't do much to deter curious sheep though.

I don't do it anywhere near a much these days, a few nights a year max.
    After the surf I had a Volvo V70, Passat and Saab 9-5 estates, all of which were big enough. I would not consider it In a hatchback, some people carriers would do though. I have just taken delivery of a new focus estate and I think this will be borderline for sleepability.

Sometimes i drive to the Lake District or peak District after work on a Friday night with a bed already made up in the back. after a long drive I park somewhere seriously remote and crawl into the back of the car for a few hours sleep.
    I make a breakfast brew and Porridge at sunrise then hit the hills as early as possible carrying a 1kg tent, sleeping high up for a few nights before returning to the car and heading home.

I would always prefer a tent over kipping in the car though

If it is possible then I heartily recommend giving normal camping a go. Why not head to the national trust campsite in great langdale for a few nights to see what you think.

Decent camping gear is easy to acquire these days. Decathlon is a good bet but the cheap airbeds from Tesco are ok also. This is a good time to buy second hand also.
    As I don't have a space issue car wise, I just take normal bedding, duvets etc rather than sleeping bags. If you use cheap airbeds remember they are un-insulated so you need something like a blanket/duvet underneath you as well.

If you are tempted by the idea of walking and carrying Lightweight camping gear then drop me a line as I know some cheap options, the "3F Lanshan 2" would be a good place to start.
    My current gear list weighs in around 7kg including food and will see me down to around -8°c but probably cost me around £2.5k but that was built up over many years. however there are some vastly cheaper options, especially if 2 people are carrying the gear, £300-500 would still be probable for 2 assuming you start from nothing.

A superb car for camping in.

A bad car for camping in... despite being my favourite car I ever owned.
    Last edited by jmitch; 25th February 2018 at 13:44.

Master
    Excellent replies, thanks. Just been to decathlon and prices seem reasonable. Going to borrow equipment first and then look at booking a few weeks away. National trust was something I didn’t realise was an option so I’ll definitely look into that!

Out of interest Wayne what car do you have. I thought you were picking by up an F type, which would of been an interesting night hahaha

Sounds great. I love camping and now Mrs Yumma has a cavernous Honda Civic Tourer I may just go on a road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Out of interest Wayne what car do you have. I thought you were picking by up an F type, which would of been an interesting night hahaha
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking, what happened to the F-type ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Sometimes i drive to the Lake District or peak District after work on a Friday night with a bed already made up in the back. after a long drive I park somewhere seriously remote and crawl into the back of the car for a few hours sleep.
    I make a breakfast brew and Porridge at sunrise then hit the hills as early as possible carrying a 1kg tent, sleeping high up for a few nights before returning to the car...
    I'd like to hear more about this. Do you have a weekend by yourself in the hills? No contact, phone off etc?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this. Do you have a weekend by yourself in the hills? No contact, phone off etc?
    Yes so would I, sounds really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking, what happened to the F-type ?
    Don’t even ask... long story short F-Type was broken after a 200 mile or so journey. The leant me a Land Rover for two weeks, I completely about-turned and ended up with a Range Rover! I can’t rationalise the decision, but amazingly, I couldn’t be happier with the car

By the way, to captain slow, my mummy and daddy find it comfy too ;-)