closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I'm on the look out for this Zenith

Blog Entries

I'm on the look out for this Zenith

Available in 'Aged Steel' (this is my preference) or 'Aged Bronze' it's a new model from Zenith on the CP-2 which now has a Flyback complication more in line with the original and clear case back (which is a modern feature) - otherwise fairly similar to the Ltd edition (1000 released but seen in AD windows even now).

This should be available this month according to Hodinkee : https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...ck-introducing

Just wondering what to sacrifice from my little collection in it's place :-(

Any thoughts on this new one from Zenith?

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th February 2018 at 20:01.

I'm on the look out for this Zenith

Looks great to me. Like the ‘aged’ look.

Hmmm, just seen it’s 43mm... that’s gonna wear pretty big. No way I could pull that size off but if you can then steel looks better than Bronze imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by waser; 24th February 2018 at 20:07.

Master
    Sold my first cp2 As you know, Martin, but I missed it, and last week bought another on SC. As you do.

Of course, the original, back in the early 60s, did not have the current hi-beat movement, because it hadn't been invented then. And I can't find any historic reference to the original dp146 manual-wind movement being a flyback design. As best I can tell, that's been grafted-on by Zenith in 2018. Nice feature though. Especially as the price hasn't gone up.
    As if stands, I can't see the new versions as being more like the original, which certainly didn't have such trendy faded finishes. Or a see-through back.or a flyback feature. But they are attractive.
    Overall, I think I like last year's limited edition best. But then I would.....I'm wearing one as I write this.
    If such things matter, last year's limited edition will probably end-up holding it's price best, if you can ever say that about a Zenith, despite them being superb watches. The market isn't kind to them.
    As for size, the original was big. The new version is no larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th February 2018 at 21:16.

Master
    Saw one of these in Watches of Switzerland in Brighton last week. A big thumbs up from me if resale isn't an issue.

Master
    I think it looks great. Do it if at all possible

Absolutely stunning and it would be a great addition to the collection. What are you thinking of letting go though?

Master
    I have the CP2 and love it. My max is normally 42 and although it’s 43 it wears lovely.

Bit of information on the original from WF no less.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/article...ritage-revival

Nice video showing the lovely movement during a tear down.

https://youtu.be/AOFLHF4z6LE

Whats not to like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Looks great to me. Like the ‘aged’ look.

Hmmm, just seen it’s 43mm... that’s gonna wear pretty big. No way I could pull that size off but if you can then steel looks better than Bronze imo.

Been discussed quite a bit on forums, but it’s true to the ‘original’ which was the same 43mm diameter - big for its day I guess. It wears more like a 42mm due to curved lugs.

Stunning. Love it

✌️

It's a interesting take on the CP2, and i'd have probably prefered the original re-issue having a flyback El Primero since the similar Leonidas CP1 & Heuer 1550sg were flybacks. (Never seen reference to the 146DP being flyback though).

The aged steel look isnt bad on the current Pilot watches, its a nice effect in the flesh, but stores up here have had them (and most of the Zenith range) sat gathering dust. So probably one to avoid if you're worried about resale.

Plus.... I've a bone to pick with Zenith.
    What's the point of an LE if a year later you churn out multiple variants of a watch (3 announced this year) and completely water down what made the re-issue special in the first place.
    Surely it would make more sense to have launched it as base model of a heritage line and then created an LE variant from that.

So far.
    -October 2016, launch of CP2
    -Purists Pro CP2
    -Unknow CP2 with olive nato (could be part of the original 1000, but has a completely different reference) so there could be 2 x 1000LEs
    -aged bronze
    -aged steel
    -Watches of Switzelrand

No doubt a Rock band, car manufacturer or life style product tie in edition is yet to come.
    Zenith are great when they are great, but fail to build on that and lack of any form of direction.

Thread from 2016 when I picked up mine, still love it but I find the way they've treated the CP2 a bit of a sham
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...P-2-Has-Landed!

Master
    Zenith have a winner in the CP2, and they're not alone in milking a successful product....think Omega and the Speedy. It's a lovely watch, and Zenith need the sales. Mine has the black leather strap, but the green leather version looks nice.
    I'm just glad to have found one on SC; saves money!
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th February 2018 at 04:05.

Banned
    The watch itself is nice, but I don't like the faux aging and I am not a fan of the strap.

Craftsman
    Have not seen this one myself but I did have the Pilot Cafe Racer which is also in aged steel (if I am not wrong, it was the one they introduced the aged steel in).

I did like the aged steel look a lot. But I had since moved the watch on, as 45mm is really too big for my wrist.

Also, having lost quite a bit in resale, not sure if I will go for another Zenith.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes,if you buy new, you will probably take a hit on resale. But how is this different from most watches? IWC, Zenith, Cartier, Bremont, most Omega's. They all take a hit, as do 99% of consumer goods. Only some models of Rolex are immune, and many buyers may not want to be locked into only Rolex.
    If you get a strong discount, or buy used , you can manage well enough.
    For instance, the CP2 retails at £6,400. One, almost new, was on SC for £4000. With long guarantee and a nice spare strap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great and a better watch than the much talked about Daytona IMHO

Master
    Thought it looked amazing in the initial pic, then I saw the ones further down and it’s going to be huge I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Looks great and a better watch than the much talked about Daytona IMHO
    I've been lucky enough to have had both. I prefer the CP2, just better looking, at least to me. And that's what these watches are surely about, good looks. They all work well enough, and will last a lifetime if you want. As for size, you have to try it on. It's not so large ...and I generally prefer 38..40mm.
    The real point is that the original, in the sixties, was this size. Unusually, it's not been enlarged to suit modern tastes. But, as always, it's personal.
    And the more I look at the new editions, the more I think 'fashion.'
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th February 2018 at 13:26.