closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chai Latte

Master

Chai Latte

Anyone else a fan?

After suffering with my very first migraine in June last year I stopped drinking coffee overnight, prior to that I could happily sink 1-2 cups before going to bed and would regularly drink it throughout the day at work.

DISCLAIMER: I am well aware that tea contains caffeine and I'm not saying that coffee was the cause, it was stress related - prior to this I rarely suffered from headaches unless dehydrated. To be clear I've simply gone off coffee since, it's not a case of me denying myself something that I secretly crave for health reasons although it can't do any harm.

Anyway, in my travels I've sampled quite a few Chai Lattes with my current favourite being Gail's Bakery (admittedly rather poncy), prior to that I was rather partial to the Starbucks offering but found it to be a bit hit & miss depending on the location.

Recommendations gratefully received and I'd also like to hear from anyone who makes their own!

Piece of cake to make yourself and much nicer than anything bought. And one of the few legitimate uses for teabags, apart from soothing tired eyes.

Per person casually toss into a saucepan of appropriate size one teabag, one bayleaf, around 1.5-2 inches of rolled cinnamon bark or a couple of random lumps of the proper stuff, half a dozen cardamom pods and half a clove. Then per person half a mugful of milk and just over half a mugful of cold water. Cook over a medium flame until it starts to bubble then lower the heat and simmer gently for 5-7 minutes. Strain through a mesh sieve and sweeten to taste with sugar or honey if that’s your thing. Job done.

Craftsman
    Yes, a big fan. I personally prefer Costa to Starbucks but it does depend on the location!

I've also tried this and its good to have at home.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/256691134

Doesn’t the Costa/Starbucks versions have something like 12 spoons of sugar in it? Maybe it’s the sugar rush rather than the caffeine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Doesn’t the Costa/Starbucks versions have something like 12 spoons of sugar in it? Maybe it’s the sugar rush rather than the caffeine?
    You would be forgiven for thinking so I guess but the silly thing is I never used to have sugar with my coffee and still don't when I drink tea. Admittedly it can be a little on the sweet side at times though, but then I'm not drinking it in nearly the same quantity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    London fog, if you want to go full hipster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    London fog, if you want to go full hipster.
    First I've heard of it, certainly sounds interesting.

Craftsman
    I was told many years ago that by nature Chai needs to be sweet, but agree most of those I have tried recently are far to sweet.

Hate it, very few things I dislike but chai latte is one of them.

Master
    Try masala chai. Tetley, bit of ginger, cardamom and a tiny bit of cinnamon add milk and sugar job done!
    Or you can buy the readymade ones!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Same. Yuck.

AMT chai steamer was the best I’ve ever bought. I like the sound of the recipes posted though, might just get a milk pan down later.

Rancid stuff.

Milk is for children.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Same. Yuck.
    Tastes like some kind of vile medicine we would have been given when we were kids. Truly disgusting.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Tastes like some kind of vile medicine we would have been given when we were kids. Truly disgusting.
    It's made out of it!
    Remember when you had a cold as a kid and your gran would shovel winter mixture into you like there was no tomorrow? Cloves. That's exactly what they put in that chai filth.

Sorry for derailing OP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Piece of cake to make yourself and much nicer than anything bought. And one of the few legitimate uses for teabags, apart from soothing tired eyes.

Per person casually toss into a saucepan of appropriate size one teabag, one bayleaf, around 1.5-2 inches of rolled cinnamon bark or a couple of random lumps of the proper stuff, half a dozen cardamom pods and half a clove. Then per person half a mugful of milk and just over half a mugful of cold water. Cook over a medium flame until it starts to bubble then lower the heat and simmer gently for 5-7 minutes. Strain through a mesh sieve and sweeten to taste with sugar or honey if that’s your thing. Job done.
    Is that all!

Seems very marmite. I can't stand the stuff. My wife is a bigger tea lover than I am and feels the same.