closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need some basic DIY advice please

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Need some basic DIY advice please

Firstly I don’t do DIY, so I need an easy fix as possible.

Dont ask, but Mrs B4W has torn a kitchen door off. Where it screws to the frame it has pulled the screws out and I can’t screw them back in as it’s a chip board type frame and the screws won’t hold.

Im hoping there is a filler type product I fill fill the holes, let it set and reattach the hinges.

So, is there such a thing or do will I have to relocate the hinges on the frame and door.

I'd say re locate the hinges and fill the damage, if that will just look wrong, you could cut out some of the wood and screw and glue a block in and screw the hinge to that, but it's a lot of work.

I'd try wood filler. Should be able to screw into it (use Small pilot holes). Something like http://www.ronseal.co.uk/home/filler...e-wood-filler/

Blog Entries
    I'll second relocating the hinges.

Perhaps replace them with heavy duty ones to cope with Mrs B4W's hulk-mode moments!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd try wood filler. Should be able to screw into it (use Small pilot holes). Something like http://www.ronseal.co.uk/home/filler...e-wood-filler/
    This looks like it may work

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

Perhaps replace them with heavy duty ones to cope with Mrs B4W's hulk-mode moments!
    Relocating not within my skillset ☺️

First take the door off if it isn’t already and leave hole-upwards on the bench. Dribble a little white wood glue thinned with water into it to harden the chipboard fibres around the hole. Leave for 24 hours to dry

To fill, use a hard two part car body filler. Would suggest trimming it flush with a naked Stanley knife blade when it is partly gone-off rather than leaving to harden fully and sanding it as the latter will be more likely to damage the surrounding finish unless you’re very careful.

When fully hardened drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the screw- don’t attempt to screw into the filler without pre-drilling.

Edit- of course the enlarged hole is in the frame so ignore the first part of my first paragraph. It should still be possible to do the glue step which I strongly recommend- just use glue neat on a tiny artist’s paintbrush or a cocktail stick.
    Last edited by draftsmann; 24th February 2018 at 14:29.

Kitchen door hinges usually recessed into large diamater holes (~1") - not easy w/o proper tools.

Kitchen door hinges usually recessed into large diamater holes (~1") - not easy w/o proper tools.
    Plus would look a godawful mess...

Craftsman

I had to something similar, and replacing the location work best. Try homebase for fillers...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I have used Unibond power putty for this very job (only to repair one of the two hinges though).

As a better alternative, easy fit hinges (no drilling of holes required):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easy-moun...FZeNGwod4nsNtQ

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I have used Unibond power putty for this very job (only to repair one of the two hinges though).

That would be a good product for the job.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You are correct, the hinges door side are recessed in big round holes. That’s not happening 😂

Looks like the filler option is the one for me.

Craftsman
    As draftsmann said is your best bet.
    Page 15 tool station catalogue pro-fill 177703
    Or coloured 2 part £7.27

Master
    If you want an easy fix, try this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-hi...r-plates/6418j

Master
    Had something similar years ago I just wall plugs in the holes, it has never come off again!

If it’s just he screw holes in the door that have been pulled then in the past I’ve used wood glue and a wooden dowel to plug the hole and then drilled a new screw into the dowel.

Craftsman
    If the holes haven’t been made too large you could try pushing a match or two into the hole which gives the screw something to bite on. I’ve fixed a few loose screw holes this way.

Some useful suggestions already.

Best ways that I've found are either:

If there's space (i.e. if there's another cabinet next to the one with the damaged holes) then you can replace the hinge fixing plate screws with longer self tappers that will go into the next cabinet (make sure not to go right through though) and should support the hinge in its original position.

Re-site the hinge which needs a 35mm dia hinge cutter for the door, something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-cutter-tct-35mm/11596 and a steady hand (and pref a guide or pillar drill). You'll also need to re-fix the hinge plate to the cabinet side (usually a 5mm pilot hole)

or if you don't fancy re-siting and the holes in the cabinet where the hinge plate was fixed haven't been completely destroyed you could screw in an insert like one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nu...-50-pack/59937

I sometime coat the insert in a bit of polyurethane type glue (I tend to use https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-jo...ve-500ml/44485 as I generally have some on the go but any good quality adhesive would do) before screwing it in. The glue expands slightly to fill any slight gaps and sticks like sh1t.

Once the insert is in place you just re-fix the plate to the cabinet but you'll need to use bolts of the right thread size and length. Something like this should do https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-b...-50-pack/1361t but you'd need to check the length was ok for the cabinet thickness.

HTH, good luck.
    Last edited by jeff; 24th February 2018 at 21:38.