closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting Things Done - GTD

Getting Things Done - GTD

Does anyone here use GTD in their work practice? I am trying to juggle a busy sometimes stressful job with studying for a degree plus include having a life and i am looking for some tools that may help me. I know that sometimes i do not work in the most efficient manner and i can start to feel overwhelmed and lose track of tasks and some googling has lead me to GTD, before i invest any more time i thought i would ask the TZ hive mind...

Tom

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a paper 'To Do' list.
    Each night, I write down all the things I need to do. I also catagorise them, (e.g. Computer work, business, household etc) so I can tackle them in blocks.
    If I need to, I add to it during the day. It's very satisfying ticking them off as I go, and it gives you clear reminders of what still needs to be done.

Master
    Hi Tom,
    Have you seen this?
    https://treerootsnotebook.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I use a paper 'To Do' list.
    Each night, I write down all the things I need to do. I also catagorise them, (e.g. Computer work, business, household etc) so I can tackle them in blocks.
    If I need to, I add to it during the day. It's very satisfying ticking them off as I go, and it gives you clear reminders of what still needs to be done.
    Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, i already run a notebook that is useful for making notes and running a small to-do list of simple tasks but harder to expand and track more complicated tasks (in my experience). I do enjoy ticking things off as i complete them but some tasks can be left behind or need to be constantly brought forward, hence why i have tried to find a simple system that may complement the note book?

Thanks again,
    Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Have you seen this?
    i hadn't but will take a close look later, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Does anyone here use GTD in their work practice? I am trying to juggle a busy sometimes stressful job with studying for a degree plus include having a life and i am looking for some tools that may help me. I know that sometimes i do not work in the most efficient manner and i can start to feel overwhelmed and lose track of tasks and some googling has lead me to GTD, before i invest any more time i thought i would ask the TZ hive mind...
    I have tried that, but it didn't really work for me. What I do now, is simply using Google Keep to organise my to-do lists, and to alert me for important things.

I might reread the book at some point, and try to get into it again though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, i already run a notebook that is useful for making notes and running a small to-do list of simple tasks but harder to expand and track more complicated tasks (in my experience). I do enjoy ticking things off as i complete them but some tasks can be left behind or need to be constantly brought forward, hence why i have tried to find a simple system that may complement the note book?

Thanks again,
    Tom

- - - Updated - - -

i hadn't but will take a close look later, thanks.
    I haven’t looked at gtd but have used Evernote

I have a note where I add daily tasks

At the end of the day I duplicate the daily task list for the next day, deleting any completed tasks, marking any held over tasks as such, (bold< colour etc) adding in any new

I also add a section in the daily note where I can capture tasks for tomorrow as I go through the day

If I find tasks are growing in importantance or risk etc I can create a dedicated note for it or if it warrants it a notebook.

It’s not perfect but when I’m disciplined it’s good, I believe there are also some plug ins for outlook now, but haven’t checked them out.

Forgot:-
    To say I also have some templates set up so I have access to a templates for Daily To Do list, Meeting Agenda / Notes, Phone log and a Eisenhower Matrix so can quickly capture data for these while on the hoof.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 24th February 2018 at 12:39. Reason: forgot...

Craftsman
    Have you looked at bullet journaling http://bulletjournal.com?

Journeyman
    I’ve tried lots of systems over the years but now use bullet journaling it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic do-lists are best.

The problem with GTD and other 'systems' is that they tend to organise you to get everything done.

The real trick is to only do the important things and to leave the rest undone.

Having done the crucial bits, you are better off doing nothing, ready to spring onto something vital that needs your full attention, rather than filling your time with energy sapping distractions lined up in perfect sequence by your time management app.

Master
    Isn’t this what wives and girlfriends are for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Basic do-lists are best.

The problem with GTD and other 'systems' is that they tend to organise you to get everything done.

The real trick is to only do the important things and to leave the rest undone.

Having done the crucial bits, you are better off doing nothing, ready to spring onto something vital that needs your full attention, rather than filling your time with energy sapping distractions lined up in perfect sequence by your time management app.
    I have come to realise that there is some truth to this and looking back through my notebooks does remind me of how many important tasks I haven’t done which have not had an impact, I am getting much better at identifying these important tasks..
    I li’e the look of bullet journalling, thank you to those who suggested it.

Master

Getting Things Done - GTD

What you need is

Mans Unique Memos.

In others words your Mum they’re really good at organising your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neil62 View Post
    Have you looked at bullet journaling http://bulletjournal.com?
    I just had a glance, and for me it looks to suffer from the same as GTD; too complicated. But I will look further into it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Have you seen this?
    Is that a Filofax from the 80' reinvented?

Master
    Onenote works for me. I have a todo list linked to other notes and then each day prioritise those that I need to get on and do. For bigger picture planning I use a similar approach with a list of per quarter deliverables.