closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Euro cylinder door locks.

Craftsman

Euro cylinder door locks.

I've done a search on here but nothing recent.
    My daughter has just this weekend moved into her 1st house, it's got some cheap euro cylinder locks installed, I said I'd get her some decent ones.
    Reading up for hours today was certainly an eye opener, even our 2 year old Solidoor with 2 side panels that cost £1700 only has an average £20ish 1* Yale cylinder.
    It seems the minimum had to be 3* something or other.
    Avocet ABS, Ultion, Yale Platinum and ASEC seem to be the names keep cropping up, anyone has any info on any of the above please as I need to replace hers asap, and then all my own.
    Thanks.

Craftsman
    Fitted a solidor at home a few months ago & upgraded when ordering to the ultion cylinder.

Upgraded to Ultion here when we moved in. Have several all off the same key.

There’s a video on YouTube of someone trying and failing to drill them out.

Well worth the money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Well worth the money.
    I've actually watched that one (of many) this afternoon.
    Front and back off the same key would be an advantage. Thanks

I purchased a number of Yale 3* cylinder locks for around £35 each - there are two sizes and you need to get the correct length of lock depending on door frame thickness.

You register the lock with Yale, and an order additional keys from Yale.

We opted for the ones with a thumb turn on the inside, so you don't have to leave keys near door to lock up at night.

ASSA cylinders are pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post

We opted for the ones with a thumb turn on the inside, so you don't have to leave keys near door to lock up at night.
    Is this a good idea? A thief can easily escape or even more easily enter by turning it through a small opening.

I would never leave key in a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is this a good idea? A thief can easily escape or even more easily enter by turning it through a small opening.

I would never leave key in a lock.
    On that basis isn't it better to have the security bolt inside for escape in case of fire? I wouldn't want to be fumbling to find keys while half asleep.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Avocet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    On that basis isn't it better to have the security bolt inside for escape in case of fire? I wouldn't want to be fumbling to find keys while half asleep.
    Isn't that the same?

Master
    We use evva 3ks plus locks on our house and flat.
    My wife and my key opens the locks at both properties, the porters at our flat hold a key that just opens the flat and we have keys at the house that just open the garden locks for the window cleaner and gardeners.

More than happy with them.

Master
    We have keyed-alike Avocets everywhere, very secure and very convenient

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Well worth the money.

Absolutely agreed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Avocet for me.

Yes, have 3 ABS three star. No prob

Craftsman
    I'm shocked that after doing a Google search on all the recommended cylinders, there is always a you tube video of it being picked/bumped and unlocked quite easily without the key.
    I'm still going to order some though as hopefully it may deter all but the more determined thief.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I'm shocked that after doing a Google search on all the recommended cylinders, there is always a you tube video of it being picked/bumped and unlocked quite easily without the key.
    I'm still going to order some though as hopefully it may deter all but the more determined thief.
    Some of those in fact show the lock being picked, but after 12 minutes and with the lock on the bench, not behind a steel cylinder guard.

In theory there is only the Bowley lock between the normal ones that is near impossible

Master
    As well as replacing the locks it's just as important to consider replacing the handle assembly with a PAS24 rated one. They are much stronger & actually cover the lock assembly making many of the attacks more difficult.

https://dgsgroup.co.uk/door/door-handles/hoppe-pas24/

As for locks ABS, EVVA, Ultion are all good locks. Thumb turns are a poor idea if they are next to a glazed panel or a non-composite door. These types of door often have a thin lower panel held in by beading & are commonly fitted to rear doors, kitchens & the like. The lower panel is the weak point & will give way with just a sharp kick so the best lock on the market will be of little use.

How many doors does she have & keys does she need ?

I have multi-lock which are keyed alike which is useful as if one lock fails I can still get in the house & I have the same key for garage too.

I got mine from here - https://ciaalarms.co.uk/product-cate...-open-profile/

What is important is to measure the sizes correctly so don't have loads hanging out of the handle. I also got thumb turns on the back so can easily lock/unlock from inside the house.

Blog Entries
    I used these, Avocet ABS Euro Cylinder Lock High Security 3 Star Kitemarked. Anti snap, anti bump, drill and pick resistant. Most burglars are kn**heads just looking for their next coke money, and these would stop them. If Raffles or the Mission Impossible crew turn up they'll get in anyway.
    Available for different prices just one example..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avocet-AB...4383.l4275.c10

Avocet fitted to all my doors. 5 minute fit. You need to measure from the centre fixing screw either side of it to get the right size. Unscrew that screw old bolt slides out, new one in.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I've ordered a pair of keyed alike Avocet, 6 keys that will work in both locks.

Banned
    My cylinders are thumb turn and the brand is ISEO , apparently they are hardened and very hard to break into

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Had Avocet front and back for over 3 years, one day the lock just fell apart.
    Looks like the anti snap part had sheared off in normal use.

Not impressed, even less so when Avocet weren't interested in standing by their product.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Mike=- View Post
    Had Avocet front and back for over 3 years, one day the lock just fell apart.
    Looks like the anti snap part had sheared off in normal use.

Not impressed, even less so when Avocet weren't interested in standing by their product.
    That's not good considering the price of them.
    I hope that's a one off, although customer service does seem to be lacking.
    Not a chance that someone has had a go at the lock is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    That's not good considering the price of them.
    I hope that's a one off, although customer service does seem to be lacking.
    Not a chance that someone has had a go at the lock is there?
    The outside lock internals disintegrated when I opened the door up.
    No sign of any external damage to the lock
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/eeyxAQ8vDngvaric2

I bought mine through a dealer who is no longer trading, check with them what sort of warranty they offer.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere near them again.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Mike=- View Post
    The outside lock internals disintegrated when I opened the door up.
    No sign of any external damage to the lock
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/eeyxAQ8vDngvaric2

I bought mine through a dealer who is no longer trading, check with them what sort of warranty they offer.

Personally wouldn't go anywhere near them again.
    That photo looks as if someone has inscribed the ABS with a Dremel, and it doesn't have the three stars.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/o70AA...VS/s-l1600.jpg

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    That photo looks as if someone has inscribed the ABS with a Dremel, and it doesn't have the three stars.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/o70AA...VS/s-l1600.jpg
    Oh yeah I only looked at that pic previously on a mobile, looking on my laptop it does look rough, I don't know the different generations but he did say he had it 3 years ago.
    Were there 3* ABS about then?

Blog Entries
    Had the Avocet for about ten years and never had a problem. Also never heard of a lock falling apart like that.

Just replaced some locks in our new property with Yale cylinders and they're a real pain to get the keys in. Wish I'd gone for the Avocet again!!

Worth scoring round the old lock flush with the handle with a Stanley knife before you take it out, makes it much easier to measure precisely once it's on the bench (or kitchen worktop), assuming it hangs out in the first place.

If you've ten minutes free then you might find this vid of interest. It's part of the 'locksport' community and the guy, a real US lawyer, picks a 3-star BSA eurolock, but it's potentially not as easy as it looks because the skills involved are considerable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5p...em-uploademail