closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Ryanair really charging for hand luggage?

Are Ryanair really charging for hand luggage?

We're nipping over to Spain in a couple of weeks and just noticed that they now charge for hand luggage unless we take priority boarding, which makes a mockery of the headline Price, have I misunderstood this?

Be thankful that there isn't a charge for the seat belt!

Nope you are spot on, new rules. It goes in as cargo unless you pay for priority boarding. For me the real pain is almost everyone is now booking priority so it’s just normal!

They introduced the rule in November but it caused so much confusion they scrapped it until 14th Jan. I think it’s cheaper to book priority than pay to stow cases, but whatch out for weight limits.

You can take on 1 small laptop or hand bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Be thankful that there isn't a charge for the seat belt!
    Yet!

I hate Ryan Air with such a passion, I'd simply rather not travel if they are the only option

Irrational maybe but life is too short

Craftsman
    I don't think the details are as bad as you are expecting.

You bring your hand luggage as usual, ie small wheel case, and it'll go into the hold at the gate just prior to boarding. Same thing used to happen often if you were anywhere near the end of the queue and they deemed the overhead bins full. There is not a charge for this.

If you want your bag with you to make a quick getaway at the other side then you'll need priority boarding yes.

For the past 3 years I have been working in and around Europe, taking 3-4 flights a week, Ryanair or EasyJet and once Wizz. Yes they are unpleasant but I have flown to Berlin and back for £40, I once flew to Poznan for £10.

I usually pay more to park at the airport than I do to fly.

I’ve just changed jobs nd now it’s Eurostar to Paris twice a month. It’s more pleasant but does cost more.

EasyJet we’re doing this over ten years ago; you either paid for baggage and/or priority boarding. There was no other option.

Rather death than Ryanair

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    I hate Ryan Air with such a passion, I'd simply rather not travel if they are the only option

Irrational maybe but life is too short
    We will be irrational together. I would rather walk there, bare foot, on broken glass and hot coals.

A total joke company. Never have and never will use them.

We will be irrational together. I would rather walk there, bare foot, on broken glass and hot coals.
    I have a friend who lives 5 minutes from Stansted airport, but would drive to Gatwick or Heathrow to avoid EasyJet.

I was lucky, I used EasyJet so much it was worth paying the yearly fee for plus card membership, choose a seat, priority boarding and take in two bags. Plus I flew so much I became a member of their flight club so got a quick dial number to call if I needed to.

I have a wedding to go to in France in July.

Easy option was Stansted to Limoges with Ryaiair.

I’ve booked Luton to Bordeaux with EasyJet and will hire a car to drive to Limouge.

Hate RA that much!

It amazes me that they continue to run their business in such a way. Surely they must know what their public reputation is like? Why not be nice and fair? It’s crazy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    For the past 3 years I have been working in and around Europe, taking 3-4 flights a week, Ryanair or EasyJet and once Wizz. Yes they are unpleasant but I have flown to Berlin and back for £40, I once flew to Poznan for £10.

I usually pay more to park at the airport than I do to fly.

I’ve just changed jobs nd now it’s Eurostar to Paris twice a month. It’s more pleasant but does cost more.
    Wizz Air is the worst, they had a card machine as you were about to board the plane and if your bag was to big you had to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

I’ve booked Luton to Bordeaux with EasyJet and will hire a car to drive to Limouge.

Hate RA that much!

It amazes me that they continue to run their business in such a way. Surely they must know what their public reputation is like? Why not be nice and fair? It’s crazy.
    Hi Greg, you know how close I live to Stanstead,

I thought I'd misread the website

I think this is partly because 'hand luggage only' has been so popular - there isn't room in the overhead lockers for everyone's hand luggage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Hi Greg, you know how close I live to Stanstead,

I thought I'd misread the website
    Did you see my post? I think you have misread the website.

If you didn't pay a fee for baggage before then you won't now, you'll just have to wait for the bags to come off rather than have them with you throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Did you see my post? I think you have misread the website.

If you didn't pay a fee for baggage before then you won't now, you'll just have to wait for the bags to come off rather than have them with you throughout.
    Yes I understood that, but as you say it now means a lot of waiting around, and so for the other carriers aren't doing the same

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    I don't think the details are as bad as you are expecting. You bring your hand luggage as usual, ie small wheel case, and it'll go into the hold at the gate just prior to boarding. There is not a charge for this.
    Yep, that's exactly it. Not so bad really, unless you need a quick get-away once landed, as you say.

For the past 3 years I have been working in and around Europe, taking 3-4 flights a week, Ryanair or EasyJet and once Wizz. Yes they are unpleasant but I have flown to Berlin and back for £40, I once flew to Poznan for £10. I usually pay more to park at the airport than I do to fly.
    Have to agree with this. It's not pleasant flying Ryanair, their constant audio announcement bombardments irritate, and Michael O'Leary is a cock, but I wouldn't have been able to do half the leisure travelling I've done without them and their low-cost brethren. It's a deal with the devil, a means to an end if you like regular travel for the best value. Besides they've actually never let me down re cancellations or delays - unlike flaky Jet2, total chancers EasyJet, and the utter incompetents that are FlyBe. (I appreciate though their recent failings are despicable).

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think this is partly because 'hand luggage only' has been so popular - there isn't room in the overhead lockers for everyone's hand luggage.
    Exactly - people cramming oversize luggage in to avoid payment charges ruined it for everyone. Caused headaches for boarding, arguments with fellow passengers and air stewards.

As an aside, I was 'stuck' in Croatia during that Icelandic volcano ash cloud - eating & boozing in sunny Zadar & Dubrovnik for an unplanned entire extra week, with Ryanair/Michael O'Leary picking up my tab, was really rather excellent.

Journeyman
    They made £1.1 billion profit last year, so I would say most people are happy with them.

For me they are acceptable as long as they are clear about the rules. If you don't like their rules, you can of course use a different company.

The most dishonest company I ever used is Wizz. The booking procedure is so unfrendly, I think it was deliberately made to trick unexperiented or old people.

Craftsman
    They will charge for whatever they can get away with. If people are willing to pay it them they will carry on.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Speaking of crappy service from low cost airlines, about two years ago my Wizzair flight was delayed for about 4 hours because the pilots had an argument and wouldn't fly together, so they had to replace them.

Needless to say, I've never flown with that bunch of cowboys again and won't fly with them again if I can help it.

Master
    In the race to the bottom Ryan air are way ahead.
    I would rather walk

How can hand luggage be oversized when the airlines themselves define what the maximum size can be?
    It’s just like the seat, another money grabbing exercise.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

^^^^ I agree in theory that should be true, but people take the piss.

If you think about how the overhead lockers are arranged, everyone should have their 'own' allotted space for their proper-sized bag, and it should work ok.

In reality, several of those lockers are already pre-filled with airline gear, safety demo stuff etc. so you're down a few already.

Then people stretch their allowance with bags bigger than the max. allowed (most times time-pressured
    boarding staff don't make everyone try & fit luggage inside the little box frame job that denotes max volume allowed), or use their second bag allowance not for a dainty little hand-bag, but another bulging ruck-sack, or piles of duty-free.

Factor in incompetence & human selfishness, and the system goes further to pot - people not caring to stow bags properly, hence stewards spending time juggling a re-arranging exercise; people insisting their massive bloody hat or coat goes up there too; people losing their sh*t because 'their' luggage area above 'their' seat has already been filled by others; refusing to stow items under their seat etc.

The list is endless.

Probably only to be expected though when you consciously sell on lowest price - that type of customer is likely pre-disposed to also try and push the limits to avoid extra baggage charges as well.

Blog Entries
    I used them for a work trip to Prague last month... I paid the additional £6 as it allowed 2 pieces of hand luggage I.e. my small suitcase and lap top bag, so, was worth it to me (plus I wasn’t paying!)

There were plenty of people at thr gate with their hand luggage, some took them on and some had to put them in the hold

You always get that embarrassing panic when people cling on their bags (as if they’re asking them to give up their kids) when the overhead lockers are ful, because they can’t bare to part with them... in reality it adds maybe 5 mins to your day, so, why bother getting quite so stressed!

I don’t really see what all the fuss is about. They’re a pain to book and to board. You take your own sandwiches. You get off the other end where you want to go. It’s quite cheap. They fly from out local airport to places in Europe we can visit, be based, or start an onwards journey from thus avoiding a 3 hour drive to London at each end and extortionate parking charges. Don’t like it? Go to London and pay loads more. “I paid £2.50 to get to Berlin but I’m really cheesed off I had to pay £6 for my bag, didn’t get the Times to read, steak for lunch followed by ice cream, much leg room, and didn’t even get given lots of little plastic bottles of wine to put in my pocket. Bloomin’ rip off.”

As I say, I don’t really see what all the fuss is about.

The pressure on hand bags started when airlines decided to charge for luggage in the hold. It was not absurd as it means extra manpower on the tarmac but added to the convenience of exiting the airport straight after landing and the traditional defiance towards the way the airport staff would care for their property, people moved en masse towards hand luggage only.
    Budget airlines also fit as many seats as they can in any given plane, by using as small a seat and legroom as they can get away with but overhead lockers space remains the same.
    At the end of the day, as catch says it’s still a decent deal money wise. I think the thing that irate people is more the virtually compulsory add-ups to a very low basic fare instead of a slightly higher fare that would include your seat, a bottle of water and luggage. And airport fees.

Blog Entries
    I(we) must be doing something wrong. SWMBO and myself have just returned from a few days in Düsseldorf. We flew with Flybe from BHX and the two return tickets cost us £350 and we got a bijou turboprop slightly wider than a cigar tube. Even coffee was chargeable and the noise level was akin to SWMBO’s Kenwood and the pilot put us down on the runway in Düsseldorf like a toad being kicked over a fence! You guys seem to be flying hither and thither for about a fiver, we are obviously doing it wrong.

p.s. To be fair the luggage allowance was admittedly reasonable at about 22KG each and the cabin staff were pretty civilised.
    Last edited by KavKav; 24th February 2018 at 09:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I used them for a work trip to Prague last month... I paid the additional £6 as it allowed 2 pieces of hand luggage I.e. my small suitcase and lap top bag, so, was worth it to me (plus I wasn’t paying!)

There were plenty of people at thr gate with their hand luggage, some took them on and some had to put them in the hold

You always get that embarrassing panic when people cling on their bags (as if they’re asking them to give up their kids) when the overhead lockers are ful, because they can’t bare to part with them... in reality it adds maybe 5 mins to your day, so, why bother getting quite so stressed!
    Was skiing a few weeks ago, we waited over an hour for our bags at Turin airport, then last year at Naples one of the bags had holes punched into it, hand luggage is so much easier.

It's the feeling of being conned, why not just put it on the ticket price.

Flew with Titan recently, that was a good experience, and they steam films and TV to your phone................for free

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Was skiing a few weeks ago, we waited over an hour for our bags at Turin airport, then last year at Naples one of the bags had holes punched into it, hand luggage is so much easier.

Flew with Titan recently, that was a good experience, and they steam films and TV to your phone................for free

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    You guys seem to be flying hither and thither for about a fiver, we are obviously doing it wrong.
    In the days when I had less commitments, I used the 'Skyscanner' website to find me the cheapest flights to everywhere, anytime, from my closest airport (a Ryanair hub), picked somewhere foreign I fancied seeing, and just went, with a small rucksack.

Oslo was a shocker though - flight was just £26 return (inc. Taxes) but I'd already spent more than the flights cost me within an hour of arrival, on just a McDonald's & a few supermarket tins of beer (ironically, both low-rent eating & beverage options having been chosen as an attempt to keep the notorious costs down).

I’ve been trying to find a comparison and the best I can come up with is cars, look at any car advert and you see a top of the range all bells and whistles model. Go to buy one and........

Metallic paint? Extra.
    Satnav? Extra.
    Alloy wheels? Extra.
    Mats? Extra.

So what’s the difference?
    Flight cost.
    Luggage? Extra.
    Choose a seat? Extra.
    Board first? Extra.

Look at iPhones
    iPhone 64 gb.

iPhone 256 gb? Extra.

Yes, but they won't let you stand on a flight, so why do you have to pay extra for a seat on some airlines?
    Last edited by Templogin; 24th February 2018 at 13:48. Reason: Extra added

Craftsman
    Tbh, even before the introduction of this my hand luggage was going cargo anyway, cause as I am always one of the last people to jump on the plane it it's always full

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

Hate RA that much!

Yep.

I'd do the same. In fact, I'd rather not go somewhere than use O'Feckup Air. Mostly because I have no faith that the rapacious, self-centred bastards would even get there.

It might have something to do with the way the cnuts decided to divert my flight from Perpignan at midnight and put down at Nimes. No explanation. Then, as we came back through baggage reclaim, you could see the O'Twatfeck Air staff pulling down the shutters on the desk and running out of the building.

Had a damn fine night in a bar with a bunch of legionaries as a result, mind. And no, not that sort of night ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yep.

I'd do the same. In fact, I'd rather not go somewhere than use O'Feckup Air. Mostly because I have no faith that the rapacious, self-centred bastards would even get there.

It might have something to do with the way the cnuts decided to divert my flight from Perpignan at midnight and put down at Nimes. No explanation. Then, as we came back through baggage reclaim, you could see the O'Twatfeck Air staff pulling down the shutters on the desk and running out of the building.

Had a damn fine night in a bar with a bunch of legionaries as a result, mind. And no, not that sort of night ;-)
    That surely cements the general view that Ryanair do not give a shit about their customers and that attitude cascades down through the staff levels right from O’Bleary at the top. Merchant Bankers!

Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    That surely cements the general view that Ryanair do not give a shit about their customers and that attitude cascades down through the staff levels right from O’Bleary at the top. Merchant Bankers!
    I’ve experienced practically the same thing from BA in recent years. In the world of domestic/short haul flights I find they are pretty much all the same

Yes, but they won't let you stand on a flight, so why do you have to pay extra for a seat on some airlines?
    You never pay extra for a seat, you pay extra to choose that seat.

Are Ryanair really charging for hand luggage?

It’s not so much as choosing your seat as it quite logically only shows you the remaining. Make the first few rows available for a premium if you want as they provide faster exit on arrival but the rest of the plane is best served by letting the software do it without splitting families.

Craftsman
    Can I give a thumbs up for Easy Jet? Have been travelling to Alicante two or three times a year for nearly 20 years and since EJ have been doing the route have never had a major problem with them. Ten years ago we moved from Gatwick (which had it's own problems) to Bristol. Cracking airport and punctuality has been really good. The main issue is the passengers. Why it is necessary to get tanked up in the bar at 7am before boarding and then behave like an arse is beyond me. The cabin crew deserve a medal sometimes.

Usual caveat regarding hand luggage of course - when putting a bag in the hold costs more than the flight it's no surprise people try and avoid it.

EJ also have a good reputation in the industry for maintenance of their fleet, which is also among the newest.

You never pay extra for a seat, you pay extra to choose that seat.
    On Loganair's site, our monopoly carrier here, the unwary could be fooled into believing that you have to pay £6 per seat, and my partner has, but if you choose not to choose, which doesn’t appear to be an option, then you get your seat free/for no extra charge.

Craftsman
    We’ve had plenty of really, really cheap European weekends away with RA. Leave early Saturday morning, come back Sunday night. All for peanuts - often less than a tenner each way. If you just want a no-frills cheap flight they’re fine. We went to a wedding in Italy last year. As we were taking a suitcase each, on that occasion it worked out just over £100 cheaper for the pair of us to fly with British Airways from London City airport than to pay luggage charges with either RA or EJ. You’ve just gotta do your homework. I’d never cut my nose off to spite my face though so whoever is the cheapest for me gets my money. If they’re roughly the same price I look at flight times or even car parking charges or hire car costs at the other end. Sometimes I go out with RA and come back with EJ. As I said, whatever’s best for me.

A mate of mine regularly uses RA to Sardinia. He opts for the free allocated seat at the very last moment and is often put into an expensive premium seat as they seem to be the ones that go last!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Wizz Air is the worst, they had a card machine as you were about to board the plane and if your bag was to big you had to pay.
    Several budget airlines including Ryanair and Easyjet have done this on occasion. Usually when they think the pisstaking on handbaggage is getting too much.

Seriously. If you want a flight for £50 then just play by their rules. If you want a better "experience" then pay for a decent airline.

Personally anything around 3 hours flight time I can put up with it - above that I want a good airline and decent legroom and will pay for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds grim...

Right or wrong, it’s relatively clear... you can still take a little suitcase, but, there are no guarantees (as with Easyjet eat al) that you’ll it get on the plane. They’re not excluding them as carry on, they’re just not guaranteeing that they’ll not be bumped to hold

I rarely check baggage where I have the option, but, on the many occasions I have done, I’ve only had a couple of rough experiences, so, am not scarred enough to be overly worried about checking them. I was only referencing the embarrassing reactions when poor groundstaff are asked to check in baggage... in the scheme of things it’s mildy irritating, but, not the end of the world!

Grand Master
    All airlines will be watching Ryanair,we will be paying on all airlines then.

Years ago when we booked our family holiday by default we were all seated together,so what's changed?,nothing,it was created to make more money.
    On Jet2 your meal deal included a packet of crisps,now you have to pay 30p for the crisps,eventually rising to the shop price.