closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 10 dollar watch

10 dollar watch

Not sure if this is covered but just read this on hodinkee

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gi...-dollars-found

Blog Entries
    We all dream of finding something like that, but, I’m not sure how I’d feel about parting with £10 for something that I knew could be significantly more valuable... I hope he tries to seek out the seller to buy him a rather large drink

Apprentice
    Any idea how much it would really be worth?

Call me a cynic, but I refuse to believe any of that.

It does seem a bit too good to be true. Especially in this day in age where a quick Google search and you can get an idea of what something is worth.
    Fair play to him if it's genuine though

Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    It does seem a bit too good to be true. Especially in this day in age where a quick Google search and you can get an idea of what something is worth.
    Fair play to him if it's genuine though
    Even without Google, Rolex is a big name. I suppose the seller might assume it's a fake, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    We all dream of finding something like that, but, I’m not sure how I’d feel about parting with £10 for something that I knew could be significantly more valuable... I hope he tries to seek out the seller to buy him a rather large drink
    Yes, the ethics behind it aren’t straightforward.

The seller has been incompetent not to notice it is at least *possibly* a Rolex Submariner (hardly esoteric). But, then, don’t we all make mistakes and oversights? Are we not grateful when others point them out, rather than seeking to capitalise on them?

I suppose if the owner bought it with the intention to wear and enjoy the watch if it turned out to be genuine, then fair enough. If the owner immediately sells it on for the £x,000 it’s presumably worth, then perhaps he should try and find the flea marketeer and at least give him a few thousand - just to share the luck around.

Banned
    He has wisely elected not to have it serviced by Rolex. If he does sell the watch, then in my opinion the right thing to do would be to give the previous owner half of the proceeds.

Having just read that, I find it hard to believe. Everyone knows the Rolex name so why would you not check if it’s real before putting it on sale even if you think it’s fake, there is way too much money at stake.
    And I do have a little discomfort at looking at something, guessing it could be very valuable and not discussing or mentioning the fact, it’s a bit like picking up a dropped wallet stuffed with money and an address and keeping it.

Craftsman
    Guess the original seller probably thought it was fake which is probably why he sold it at the price in the first place.

Master
    On a completely different level, but I managed to pick up a vintage Tudor last year at a car boot sale for £0.50. Unfortunately it was a ladies model but a very good find nonetheless.

Apprentice
    If the Rolex in question is indeed authentic, doesn't the seller bear the overall responsibility for this particular oversight? While it would be commendable to inform and compensate the purveyor, countless buyers have also purchased fake Rolexes at garage/estate sales thinking they got the real deal for an attractive price.

It all balances out in terms of the big picture. Call it "stupid is as stupid does" or "en caveat emptor."

If someone offered you an Aston Martin Lagonda for the price of an old Morris Minor, would you stop to explain the actual price differential or simply write a check and motor off into the sunset?

Journeyman
    Lucky git!

I've told similar tales to my wife on occasion....