closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Sarb033 vs Hamilton Khaki King

Seiko Sarb033 vs Hamilton Khaki King

So, I am saving for a Tudor BlackBay 36, should be there later in the year.

In the meantime I want to get a black dial every day wearer. I've whittled it down to these two but am struggling to make a decision! My pal has an 033 and I loved it in the flesh, quality way beyond its price. Also, I have an SKX007 and an Alpinist, and kind of view the 033 as completing a trinity of Seiko's. Never seen an HKK in the flesh but watched enough vids etc.

Any experienced owners out there that can persuade/disuade me one way or the other? I'm doing that thing where you worry that whichever decision you make you'll end up wishing you went the other way!

Craftsman
    I have owned both. In my opinion of the two I would choose the SARB033. The lack of AR coating on the Hamilton was a real nightmare on a sunny day. Also the bang for buck of the Seiko is second to none. Absolute gem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have owned both. In my opinion of the two I would choose the SARB033. The lack of AR coating on the Hamilton was a real nightmare on a sunny day. Also the bang for buck of the Seiko is second to none. Absolute gem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cheers for that 👍

I must admit I am edging toward the 033, think I prefer the less busy dial. Plus it's about £200 cheaper - money for the Tudor fund! But I don't know, can't seem to make a decision.

I agree with the above. I too have had both, well 035, and the Seiko was much nicer in my opinion. I also felt the Seiko was a better watch for the money and more versatile.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned
    The 033 looks like a no brainer to me.

Master
    The sarb is the superior watch IMHO, especially if you put it on a jubilee bacelet.

Where are you thinking of purchasing from?

No doubting that the SARB is a more satisfying watch than the Hamilton. Every Hamilton I've tried has has a cheap second rate feel that belies the quality of the components, they are similar to Citizen in that regard. In this case, as others have said, the glossy dial and lack of AR will add to your disappointment.

That said, take a good long look at the fat lugs on the SARB. I didn't before i imported one; I didn't like case shape when i saw it in the flesh and ended up selling at a big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    The sarb is the superior watch IMHO, especially if you put it on a jubilee bacelet.

Where are you thinking of purchasing from?
    Probably Gizmo's

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    No doubting that the SARB is a more satisfying watch than the Hamilton. Every Hamilton I've tried has has a cheap second rate feel that belies the quality of the components, they are similar to Citizen in that regard. In this case, as others have said, the glossy dial and lack of AR will add to your disappointment.

That said, take a good long look at the fat lugs on the SARB. I didn't before i imported one; I didn't like case shape when i saw it in the flesh and ended up selling at a big loss.
    My mate has one and I tried it on last week, it was a perfect fit on me so I'm not worried about case size shape etc. But cheers 👍

Craftsman
    The 033 is the best option IMHO.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

If you want the 033 you'll have to be quick

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ntinued-Seikos

Craftsman
    I’m buying the 033 from 1st-outlet, only because Gizmo has blocked me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I went for the Hamilton khaki king. But of a scuff magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    I’m buying the 033 from 1st-outlet, only because Gizmo has blocked me.

Why have they blocked you?

Journeyman
    Never held the Hamilton but the Seiko is a super watch and the price is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The SARBs occasionally pop up in SC, you could save yourself some £ by waiting.

I sold my 033 about a month ago, by coincidence it was my newly purchased BB36 that knocked it out of the watch box.

Craftsman
    I agree that the sarb is a better buy than the Hamilton. But I’m wondering if you should wait a little longer and just get the BB36. I appreciate that price points are totally different between the sarb and Black Bay, but the styling is quite similar, and once you own the Tudor I imagine you just won’t want to wear the sarb ever. Once both are in the box, what is going to make you pick the sarb up over the BB36? After all, IMO the BB36 is designed to be a solid daily wearer. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    The seiko sarb for me , great value for money and the AR coating is big deal

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Why have they blocked you?
    I’m not sure, i contacted them through eBay asking them if they would check stock for a good bracelet. Then they blocked me.

Blog Entries

Get your sarb’s and Alpinist now then if seiya Japan’s blog states production is or has ceased. What a shame for a great line up . Making way for all this prospex filler.

Oh what a sad time

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 24th February 2018 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The SARBs occasionally pop up in SC, you could save yourself some £ by waiting.

I sold my 033 about a month ago, by coincidence it was my newly purchased BB36 that knocked it out of the watch box.
    How do you find the BB36 wears? I have a 6.5" wrist so fairly small, would the 36 be better than the 41?

Thanks.

Craftsman
    I have a soft spot for Seiko and would vote SARB over Hamilton.
    Post 17 makes a valid point but I see you already have 2 Seikos and like the thought of completing a "trinity" which sounds logical unless it's just watch addict's denial seeking to validate a purchase when the real buy,the Tudor,is coming later this year but is not here now for immediate gratification.
    A preowned SARB is probably the way to go if you just have to buy something now.
    Whatever you chose to do,good luck and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    I have a soft spot for Seiko and would vote SARB over Hamilton.
    Post 17 makes a valid point but I see you already have 2 Seikos and like the thought of completing a "trinity" which sounds logical unless it's just watch addict's denial seeking to validate a purchase when the real buy,the Tudor,is coming later this year but is not here now for immediate gratification.
    A preowned SARB is probably the way to go if you just have to buy something now.
    Whatever you chose to do,good luck and enjoy it.
    Cheers mate. Ha, it could subconsciously be a bit of validation. But I did always want to complete the aforementioned 'trinity' of Seiko's, 3 brilliant and beautiful watches but all different looking with different uses. I think there's room for a BB36 and an 033 in the same collection - I suspect I'd keep the BB on a bracelet but switch the 033 to a nice brown leather.

Based on the conversation on this thread I'm gonna go with the 033, it's a no brainer really and the direction I was veering towards anyway.

Craftsman
    How do you find the BB36 wears? I have a 6.5" wrist so fairly small, would the 36 be better than the 41?

Thanks.
    I have a similar sized wrist and the 36 is much better suited. 41 is too large for me. I think the BB36 does wear small though. When I compare it to something like a standard 35mm Tangente, no-one ever believes that the Nomos is smaller than the Tudor. I think the small dial on the BB36 gives the appearance of being more diddy than it actually is. But for your wrist size, I think it’ll look perfect.

35-39mm is my ideal size range.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    I have a similar sized wrist and the 36 is much better suited. 41 is too large for me. I think the BB36 does wear small though. When I compare it to something like a standard 35mm Tangente, no-one ever believes that the Nomos is smaller than the Tudor. I think the small dial on the BB36 gives the appearance of being more diddy than it actually is. But for your wrist size, I think it’ll look perfect.

Yes, I've said on other threads my worry over the Tudor is the 36 may be too small and the 41 too big. Kind of hoping they announce a 38/39 at BaselWorld! I have the Alpinist and have tried on the Sarb033, both are 38's with lovely curved lugs and are the absolute perfect size for me. A BlackBay of similar size would make my year!

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post

I've a 7.25" wrist and think that it wears just fine, here are a couple of 'photos to show it from two different perspectives. I haven't tried the 41mm equivalent however I have tried the red and blue bezel BBs and thought they were too tall and slab-like for my tastes. I own larger watches than the regular BBs, it was the overall proportions that put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've a 7.25" wrist and think that it wears just fine, here are a couple of 'photos to show it from two different perspectives. I haven't tried the 41mm equivalent however I have tried the red and blue bezel BBs and thought they were too tall and slab-like for my tastes.

Wow, that looks great on your wrist. If yours is 7.25 then should be no problem on mine. Obviously I'll try them on before pulling the trigger, just trying to gauge it in advance.

Thanks for the help 👍

Master
    I’ve been trying to decide between these two watches as well, but just to add to the mix, the Seiko SSA305.

It’s my birthday next month and the mrs wants to get me a watch. Budget is £500.

Can’t decide between them...

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    I’ve been trying to decide between these two watches as well, but just to add to the mix, the Seiko SSA305.

It’s my birthday next month and the mrs wants to get me a watch. Budget is £500.

Can’t decide between them...
    I've seen the HKK for £360 (Jura) and the Sarb033 for £240 (eBay). Extend your budget by £100 and you could have both!

Just to revist this chat a bit, went into an AD today and tried on both the BlackBay36 and 41. Despite my slim wrists I have to say I found the 36 to be almost feminine in size. My wife said so too. The 41 is a more substantial watch obviously, but it didn't swamp the wrist and looked much more masculine. I tried them both on the bracelet plus the 41 on the leather also, and I think if I did take the plunge it'd be the 41 on the bracelet.

Master
    34-36 was the standard men’s case size for decades. They’re certainly not effeminate.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    34-36 was the standard men’s case size for decades. They’re certainly not effeminate.

No I agree and wouldn't usually say so, I've had several vintage Timex's that have been 34 or 36 that have looked fine. I also only have 6.5" wrists so not too big for it at all. It was just this particular watch, it just seemed to wear small and look a bit like a woman's watch. I was quite surprised. Maybe I need to go back for another bite of the cherry.

Oi! You calling me a Laydee?

Just goes to show the value of trying before you buy, if you can

Master
    No I agree and wouldn't usually say so, I've had several vintage Timex's that have been 34 or 36 that have looked fine. I also only have 6.5" wrists so not too big for it at all. It was just this particular watch, it just seemed to wear small and look a bit like a woman's watch. I was quite surprised. Maybe I need to go back for another bite of the cherry.
    Did you try the 36 on both bracelet and strap? I rarely wear mine on the bracelet. Perhaps a strap ‘macho’s’ it up a little?Image1520028509.728074.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Did you try the 36 on both bracelet and strap? I rarely wear mine on the bracelet. Perhaps a strap ‘macho’s’ it up a little?Image1520028509.728074.jpg

No, just the bracelet. I had to remove my G-Shock to try it on so that wouldn't have helped. You may be right. I'll go back for round 2, just to be sure, I tried the 41 on a bracelet and strap and loved it both ways though.

My main dislike and eventual letdown of the SARB033 was the cheap bracelet and clasp. Furthermore, the bracelet on that model doesn’t come with half links and the clasp only has 3 adjustment pin holes. The end result is a watch that will fit poorly on your wrist, either too tight or lose if your happen to be an in betweener.

At the same time I had the 033 I also owned a SARB045 with a mesmerizing blue dial. Sadly that model is long discontinued but I always thought it was a much better watch all around compared to the 033. The price differential was only USD $100 from each other.

SARB045 below:

Last edited by Lostintime; 3rd March 2018 at 04:00.

Journeyman
    Hamilton looks like a 50 quid watch in my opinion.