closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Update BMW maps via a usb

Craftsman

Update BMW maps via a usb

Can anybody help me here, I have an issue with trying to get a maps update which has been downloaded from BMW onto my iMac and then to transfer to a usb stick? The attached is as far as I get trying to transfer using a usb that has more than enough space and has been formatted properly. I sent BMW a query but no reply so far - I rang them and might as well have talked to myself, they suggested I go to a dealer! The whole idea is you should be able to do it all easily at home. Please help me keep my sanity! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by ALindsay; 23rd February 2018 at 16:43. Reason: missing picture added

Where did you buy the map?

Craftsman
    BMW Connected drive site

Have you tried another memory stick?

Craftsman
    No, don't have one with enough capacity. Did think about that though, might ask the neighbour when he gets in.

Some cars are very fussy, Lexus and Toyota are a nightmare

You need to check the memory stick file system is FAT32 - had the same problem.

Once you have done this the iDrive will recognise it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

When I had a BMW E92 the USB port for map updates was hidden in the glove box. i.e. not the one that you usually use for music etc.

I updated mine using a USB so I know it's possible. You will need the FSC ( I think that's what it was called) code before you can update though.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You need to check the memory stick file system is FAT32 - had the same problem.

Once you have done this the iDrive will recognise it.

^^ This

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Have you tried another memory stick?
    Now tried another external drive but to no avail. Rang BMW again and spoke to someone who sounded like he knew what he was on about (but was knocking off at 19:00). Downloaded software again at his suggestion (took over 1 hour) but no joy in trying to transfer to external dives although I could drag it into a new folder on the iMac. He said to let them know and he will escalate to Germany! Not a happy bunny :(

Master
    It needs to be a USB drive without a boot partition. I had to delete all the partitions and reformat mine in the correct file format to get it to work. I would download it to hard drive first and then move it to usb stick, having first formatted it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It needs to be a USB drive without a boot partition. I had to delete all the partitions and reformat mine in the correct file format to get it to work. I would download it to hard drive first and then move it to usb stick, having first formatted it.

Excuse my ignorance, how do you tell if there is a 'boot partition' (I have erased all files from both external drives I have tried) Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Won't the dealer do it for you? My Honda dealer did - no charge though it did take about an hour at the dealership

Master
    As others have said it needs to be fat32, do this for the usb and then try to copy the files over.

https://www.admfactory.com/how-to-fo...t32-in-mac-os/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, how do you tell if there is a 'boot partition' (I have erased all files from both external drives I have tried) Thanks
    It was easy to tell with mine (a western digital one) since it fired up some software when you plugged it in. I not sure how you go about it on a mac but on a PC I deleted all partitions using the windows disk management tools and then formatted as FAT32.

Craftsman
    Success! I downloaded the software onto my Macbook as I was getting nowhere with the iMac desktop. (It took two goes to get the software onto the Macbook) Next, uploaded the BMW Upload manager and hey presto, it recognised the flash stick and transferred the software. Put the stick in the car and the update is no completed. Thanks for all help offered. There must be something amiss with the iMac but i have no idea what it could be; the OS is the current version. Clearly, computers are not my forte!
    Last edited by ALindsay; 24th February 2018 at 12:51.