Thread: Discontinued Seikos

Discontinued Seikos

Just spotted this on Seiyas blog
    Some forum favourites

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news/sayonara

Discontinuing the MM300, thats a shock!

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    It doesnt say the MM300 is being stopped.... just a comment on how it CHANGED in the past...

Thinking back, the SBDX017 has been sold for more than 15 years before the model change to the SBDX001.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    It doesnt say the MM300 is being stopped.... just a comment on how it CHANGED in the past...
    They have stated that they will discontinue series production of the ever-popular SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, and SBDX017 model wristwatches.

I just read elsewhere it might come back as the 018 with X on the dial and sapphire crystal.. however, i think that is somebody elses wishful thinking!

They've discontinued plenty of beautiful and unique looking watches throughout the time so I'm not surprised that each model gets laid to rest at some point...

I expect they'll be freeing up production resources for new models. Hopefully it won't be decades until a new Alpinist.

Master
    The MM300 is ready for a real replacement. That bracelet went from "wow, better than a Rolex" 17 years ago to "way worse than the bracelet on a Tuna".

"Thinking back, the SBDX017 has been sold for more than 15 years before the model change to the SBDX001".

An error as it is the other way around. :-)

Master
    Interesting cheers for that Mike

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    You had better get another, you’ve only had about 15 of them !
    Cheers..
    Jase

Maybe they will be moving the MM300 into an even higher price range.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    If this is true then I’m doubly ecstatic I acquired my first SBDX017 last week

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If they were to replace the SARB033 with something thinner and without the subdivided seconds, that would be great, but I would have zero expectation of seeing Seiko change those two details.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    I just read elsewhere it might come back as the 018 with X on the dial and sapphire crystal.. however, i think that is somebody elses wishful thinking!
    The sapphire dial would be welcome. The Hardlex, and a scratch on the crystal is the reason I sold mine, but putting the X on the dial would, at least in my opinion, be a real turn off.

I love old Seiko, and have a good few, and it seems to me that the tendency to delete and reintroduce old models is self defeating. One only has to look at the prices of good 6105 and 6309 7040 models.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If they were to replace the SARB033 with something thinner and without the subdivided seconds, that would be great, but I would have zero expectation of seeing Seiko change those two details.
    For me a decent clasp, no display back and slightly less obviously lumed hands would be good

Probably not. But I guess the Seiko Brightz line is more or less the replacement for the SARBs?

Master
    Great. My sbdx001 can now be viewed as my retirement fund..... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Probably not. But I guess the Seiko Brightz line is more or less the replacement for the SARBs?
    I've had a look at the Brightz line, there are models that look exactly like the Sarb 033 and 035. Having read the spec, I'm not sure what the real difference is - they have sapphire crystal, exhibition case back, 6R15 movement, near as dammit identical design. The only major difference is the case size is 40.5 compared to 38, and the bracelet looks better quality. Is there anything else about these watches that I'm missing that justifies them being between 3 and 4 times as expensive as the Sarb?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Maybe they will be moving the MM300 into an even higher price range.
    Yes, most probably, there's a massive gap between the price of the MM300 and the GS divers, so expect (hopefully) an improved bracelet/clasp and sapphire crystal and (disappointingly) a consequent hike in price.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I've had a look at the Brightz line, there are models that look exactly like the Sarb 033 and 035.
    Which models would they be then ??

Is there anything else about these watches that I'm missing that justifies them being between 3 and 4 times as expensive as the Sarb?
    I'm looking at the SDGM003 - it seems from the photos to have a fancier dial texture? (A bit like the Cocktail Time)

Is there anything else about these watches that I'm missing that justifies them being between 3 and 4 times as expensive as the Sarb?
    The build quality is in the next league+.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Which models would they be then ??
    The SDGM003 and the SDGM001 are very similar to the Sarb 033 and 035 respectively. Although as someone says below on closer inspection they seem to have a cocktail time style dial, and the build quality is better. Same movement tho.

Master
    I have the sdgm001 and it's superbly finished. Well above the sarb cocktail time that I owned concurrently for a short period.

The SDGM003 and the SDGM001 are very similar to the Sarb 033 and 035 respectively. Although as someone says below on closer inspection they seem to have a cocktail time style dial, and the build quality is better. Same movement tho.
    With respect, the only thing that's the same is the movement, that really is it. They are a class apart in every other aspect.
    Once you've handled or owned both, I'm pretty sure you would agree.

Journeyman
    Hopefully they will be replaced with even better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I have the sdgm001 and it's superbly finished. Well above the sarb cocktail time that I owned concurrently for a short period.

Is it any thinner than the SARBs?

Same thickness as SARBs in question.

Master
    Based on memory (as ive not had the cocktail for a year) I'd say the sdgm001 was a fraction thicker. Maybe a mm.

But I'm talking rubbish, as the published specs reveal it to be the other way round. Sdgm001 is 1.5 mm thinner than sarb065.
    The domed crystal of the sarb no doubt accounts for this. Sdgm001 is flat.

Last edited by stefmcd; 25th February 2018 at 00:46.

Craftsman
    true or false I just ordered my 1st seiko, an alpinist

SARX line could also be seen as the next step up from SARB. These SARB watches always have been a crazy lot of value for money, perhaps Seiko is correcting a bit. Some moves do suggest they are moving up a bit. (E.g new position of GS at the far end, SARX line, new
    Divers at least at twice
    The price of 007 or even more)

Master
    I must admit I do like the look of the sarb033 but although my tastes for smaller Watches have increased over the past couple of years I can't help but think the 38mm size may be to small for my Wrists, I keep looking at it for some strange reason though.

Has anyone got a Wrist shot of this Watch on a Wrist over 7 1/2" ?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    I'd bet this is the case, at least the part about the Prospex branding. There's going to be a green dial limited edition MM300 with the Prospex X on the dial, so I can see them updating it a bit and giving it a new reference. They've done the same thing with some Presage models, e.g. an SPB041 renamed SPB059 after they put 'Presage' on the dial.

Why is it that, now the MM300 is discontinued, I fancy getting another one!? It's a sickness!
    Last edited by Thorien; 9th March 2018 at 15:26.

Journeyman
    We always want more the things we can't have
    In this case there still should be thousands around.

Blog Entries

Discontinued Seikos

Is this sarb ending fact or rumour or just a little ploy or hear say by Seiya or WUS ?

I have been hearing the skx line being ceased for years and yet they appear more and more than before !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Is this sarb ending fact or rumour or just a little ploy or hear say by Seiya or WUS ?

I have been hearing the skx line being ceased for years and yet they appear more and more than before !

Seiya hardly had any stock available of the sarb033/35/17. It's our fault that they've been discontinued. Lots of Seiko fans (myself included) berated them for the prices of some of their watches in the presage line. We always compared them to the sarb033/35/17 and their 6r15 movements and sapphire crystals. Seiko are doing this to establish their 6r15 as the movement in £500 - £1000 watches. The sarb line was just too good.

Was wondering about this... Does anyone know if they are still making new 007/009s?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Was wondering about this... Does anyone know if they are still making new 007/009s?
    Not sure - but the skx tide still flows . I think the sheer volume of sarbs will still be selling and appearing after the discontinue. If they discontinue.

Blog Entries

Discontinued Seikos

Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    Seiya hardly had any stock available of the sarb033/35/17. It's our fault that they've been discontinued. Lots of Seiko fans (myself included) berated them for the prices of some of their watches in the presage line. We always compared them to the sarb033/35/17 and their 6r15 movements and sapphire crystals. Seiko are doing this to establish their 6r15 as the movement in £500 - £1000 watches. The sarb line was just too good.

It’s a pity to hear. But is this a definitive end or still just a problem -reaction -solution by Seiya to bump sales and an overdue price hike on the esteemed sarb line .

Above picture is a rumour back in 2015 of it’s ‘demise’. I don’t think Seiko are that soft to knock a gift horse in the mouth. It’s a steady sale for them appealing as a sort of cult watch and mainstream dressy/sport piece for the unenlightened .
    I’m not convinced it’s the end . Remember the sarb033 was a descendant/deviation of the scvs003 .

I don’t think it’s the end (I may be wrong) but I hope the 033 is at a metamorphosis stage like the presage or prospex lines. I shudder to think of a sarb with an X on the dial !
    Last edited by bond; 26th February 2018 at 18:24.

Not sure - but the skx tide still flows . I think the sheer volume of sarbs will still be selling and appearing after the discontinue. If they discontinue.

I think you're right but also that there will be a price hike. Via Gizmo or 1st Outlet the 033/35 have been available for £240 for ages. Doubt you'll be able to get a new one for that price going forward.

Blog Entries
    I think you're right but also that there will be a price hike. Via Gizmo or 1st Outlet the 033/35 have been available for £240 for ages. Doubt you'll be able to get a new one for that price going forward.
    I know David , I have been dallying buying one or two for a long time from Gizmo for £240 and slept on it . I’m regretting it now.

Blog Entries

I also think whoever was buying them at citywide or gizmo knows there target demographic or market very well . Of all the watches to import they bring in the JDMs . I’m sure that shop is ran by a few WIS.

I know David , I have been dallying buying one or two for a long time from Gizmo for £240 and slept on it . I’m regretting it now.

I got my Alpinist from Gizmo, £290 in November which will probably prove to be a bargain now. Did the same as you slept on an 033 for ages while buying and selling watches I wanted less! Finally made my mind up to buy one this weekend and they get discontinued and sell out! 😫

I emailed Gizmo to ask if they'd be getting more, they just said if they do they'd let me know. So I made a snap decision to buy one from Creation for £311. I figured that even if the 033 did reappear on eBay it'd be closer to the £300 mark than the previous £240 (the 035 has already been marked up to £270 and the Alpinist to £330). Thought I'd just get it while I could, won't lose money on it now - and glad I did as I've since noticed that Creation have also sold out. CityUK still have them but for £388 which would stick in the throat too much after missing out on the £240 deal!

I also think whoever was buying them at citywide or gizmo knows there target demographic or market very well . Of all the watches to import they bring in the JDMs . I’m sure that shop is ran by a few WIS.

At that price it makes you wonder what their profit margin was and how they can sell them continuously for about 30% less than anyone else.

Blog Entries
    At that price it makes you wonder what their profit margin was and how they can sell them continuously for about 30% less than anyone else.
    It is puzzling -Maybe the sheer volume they sold allowed for the discount .

Blog Entries
    I got my Alpinist from Gizmo, £290 in November which will probably prove to be a bargain now. Did the same as you slept on an 033 for ages while buying and selling watches I wanted less! Finally made my mind up to buy one this weekend and they get discontinued and sell out!

I emailed Gizmo to ask if they'd be getting more, they just said if they do they'd let me know. So I made a snap decision to buy one from Creation for £311. I figured that even if the 033 did reappear on eBay it'd be closer to the £300 mark than the previous £240 (the 035 has already been marked up to £270 and the Alpinist to £330). Thought I'd just get it while I could, won't lose money on it now - and glad I did as I've since noticed that Creation have also sold out. CityUK still have them but for £388 which would stick in the throat too much after missing out on the £240 deal!

It’s a real sting in the tail when these price hikes happen. Nature of the beast I suppose. Good job you bought your Alpinist when you did . That’s a classic . Good idea to buy a sarb now when you have the chance so you aren’t paying more later ( I should take my own advice on this ).

The trouble is I just can’t get past paying so much more for a sarb whilst they have been at such a low price . Those £240 days where the golden times ha

Craftsman
    I think they have to discontinue the SARB's, pricewise they are wrong in the Seiko lineup, great value for the customer but looks out of place.

Having a 6R15 priced that low is confusing, there are plenty now with the 4R35/6 filling that space so I think it will be rebadged and the case finished better then moved up where the SDGM line was.

The only reason I can see for the SBDX being discontinued is possibly a 6105 remake.

It’s a real sting in the tail when these price hikes happen. Nature of the beast I suppose. Good job you bought your Alpinist when you did . That’s a classic . Good idea to buy a sarb now when you have the chance so you aren’t paying more later ( I should take my own advice on this ).

The trouble is I just can’t get past paying so much more for a sarb whilst they have been at such a low price . Those £240 days where the golden times ha

Having spent most of the day scouring the net I'd say you'd be doing very well to find one (new) for under £350. Creation were the next best option at £311 and they've sold out. There's a few on eBay for close to £400 or City Watches for £388.

At this stage it's probably more sensible to set up some alerts so you get notified when/if Creation or Gizmo or whoever get them back in - hold your fire a bit. The discontinuation news has been all over the watch forums and channels, no doubt current stock has been panic bought (by people like me!), but thinking rationally I'm sure there'll be another batch on the way soon. I would just be prepared to pay at least £270 for one now, they know the demand is gonna be high.