closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; TR6 - the next step

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; TR6 - the next step

The TR6 is still in the garage. Of course, it's not finished yet! There's some delay that has to do with choosing the correct g/box: A standard gearbox, a g/box with an A-type overdrive, a g/box with a J-type overdrive or something else, more spectacular: a Toyota 5-speed box. Every box has its own advantages/disadvantages. Mainly: the A and J-type Laycock de Normanville OD's are difficult to repair and you can't pull parts of the shelf for these. I think that the owner of the car will choose for a J-type box, but he needs some warranty as well. And most suppliers are not willing to give a full warranty. Makes you think... I personally would opt for the bomb-proof Toyota with a LandCruiser release bearing.

What has been done, is shown below: wheels are restored: a company straightened them out and has powder coated them. The engine is assembled. Next job was the installment of neatly routed brake pipes!. Next up: the g/box!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th February 2018 at 21:28.

Re images: you snooker yourself by creating a long thread on a mobile or tablet. Use a laptop or whatever and a proper image host, there are lots around that don't act like Photobucket. Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing them!

Blog Entries
    I am trying to use postimage, but, as you can see, pics are shown twice: once as a pic and once as an url.

But here we go again:

Last edited by thieuster; 25th February 2018 at 21:37.

Grand Master
    If the car’s a CP (1969-late 72) the A type overdrive gearbox, with overdrive on 2nd, is the one to go. Not the cheapest option if it’s to be fully rebuilt properly, but it’s all part if the character of the car in my opinion. If I remember rightly, there are minor chassis differences on the later CR cars that had the J type overdrive.

Overdrive Services near Sheffield can supply a guaranteed recon overdrive, this firm was set up by ex- Laycock guys and they’re excellent. Many years ago I rebuilt an overdrive myself........I wouldn’t do it again!

Ne thing that orries me with using non- standard gearboxes such as Toyota: what happens in 20 years when parts become scarce and the gearbox may need work? It’s OK at the moment when parts are plentiful, but that will change because they all end up getting scrapped.

Every time I read the TR6 thread I regret selling mine!

Paul

Blog Entries
    It's a CP indeed! And A would be the way to go. Since posting, things have 'moved'. We managed to source a box+overdrive from a well-respected supplier over here. Warranty etc is not a problem. Normally we would try to get the box ourselves and earn a little money on it, but given the fact that the box is pretty expensive and we want to keep the warranty between the supplier and the customer. In most cases, we open gearboxes and check them. Not possible here: it comes with a warranty and we're not tampering with a sealed case!

Menno

Great stuff, and like the pics too!

Grand Master
    Good call regarding the gearbox Menno! Keeps the car ‘right’ in my opinion.

This car’s going to be a cracker when it’s finished.

Paul