closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega speedy Tuesday vs professional

Journeyman

Omega speedy Tuesday vs professional

Hi guys, new to the forum. Looking at purchasing either a speedy Tuesday or professional, looking for opinions on whether it’s worth spending the extra money on the Tuesday?

I’ve seen the professional in person but the speedy only in pictures and it looks great

Wondering on peoples thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I flogged my Pro to get the Tuesday. I much prefer the latter but whether it is worth double, I am not so sure. To be honest I find the basic Pro Moonwatch a little dull and prefer the LEs or variants. YMMV of course. The lack of inclusion of a bracelet with the ST is particularly galling but it wears very well on the Snoopy sailcloth strap. All the recent LEs make a mint 5-10 year old 3570 look like the smart buy when viewed objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by lconcado View Post
    Hi guys, new to the forum. Looking at purchasing either a speedy Tuesday or professional, looking for opinions on whether it’s worth spending the extra money on the Tuesday?

I’ve seen the professional in person but the speedy only in pictures and it looks great

Wondering on peoples thoughts ?

A watch named after an instagram tag or one that went to the moon? Let me think about that one......?

Kidding aside, the ST is a great looking watch and I would buy one if I could afford it (but I wouldn't sell my pro to get it).

Master
    I'd go with the standard model personally,you'll receive a rather large box and a bracelet and can always add various straps if you fancied a change in the future.

Omega speedy Tuesday vs professional

Objectively the basic Moonwatch is a better buy, as available new or preowned for far less than the Tuesday.

However on balance I prefer the brushed case and reverse panda dial of the Tuesday, as I find it more interesting.

A members review of the Tuesday was posted here.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...2-42-30-01-001
    Last edited by gbn13; 23rd February 2018 at 12:29.

Craftsman
    Bang for your buck the professional is a better prospect.

However, if you're not worries about the money the Tuesday is the better looking watch.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had both and sold the Speedy Tuesday. For me, the classic Moonwatch is impossible to beat except by buying a mint condition vintage one which has the old 321 reference movement

I really like the look of the Speedy Tuesday but if I had to have one it would be the Pro. Just a complete classic design! I love mine, I wouldn't mind having both though :)

Master
    I may be wrong, but I wouldn't have thought the Tuesday would go down in value much from this point in time, and may even begin to appreciate again once the available re-sale stock begins to dry up, as has been seen with other LEs.

Master
    I own both speedmaster tintin, which is very similar to the original professional, and a SpeedyTuesday and I have also handled a lot of professionals.
    I prefer both the tintin and the ST to the standard version with the ST being my favourite.

A lot of people will mention that it is created by a blog and has a hashtag name but if someone judges the watch on its merits I believe that it comes on top.

Compared to a standard one it has a fully brushed case so it gets rid of all the reflections. That is ideal for a pilot/racing chronograph.

The sundials offer much more information so they are much easier to read.

The extra lume makes it easier to read during the night as well.

The reverse panda look is an extra bonus and always welcome on a chronograph and the vintage inspired crown and applied logo a welcome bonus.

Packaging is actually useful as well!

My honest belief is that had it come as a special edition without the hashtag/blog connection people would be going even more crazy about it.

Anyway, as a watch it really is a great piece that, in my opinion, has a number of advantages when compared to the normal one, especially if t is to be used as a tool watch...

Tricky - The white subdials do look quite nice, but somehow it looks less 'Speedmaster'ish to me.

For me, the Speedmaster should be all black. Which is odd, as I prefer the Navitimer with white subdials - I guess it's just what I think of as the 'right' look for each watch.

I'm sure if the Speedmaster had always had white subdials, I'd be more than happy with it, but, personally, I wouldn't pay double the price to have them.

In fact, I think I'd take all black even for the same money (assuming there was no difference in perceived value, of course - Clearly a Speedy Tuesday has more appeal and is probably a better 'investment').

All that said, I'm not a fan of any of the LEs, really - I quite like the Pro with the moonphase complication, but that's as far as it goes for me - Most of the others just seem like gimmicks.

M

PS I'd never noticed the brushed case - For me that's another negative against the Tuesday.
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd February 2018 at 12:52.

I think it is very hard to get an unbiased opinion of matters like this. Owners of the pro will state they like that better and ST owners will like that better. Owners of both will state they like the ST better because it justifies the price they paid for it.
    The bottom line is you should buy the one you want the most.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I think it is very hard to get an unbiased opinion of matters like this. Owners of the pro will state they like that better and ST owners will like that better. Owners of both will state they like the ST better because it justifies the price they paid for it.
    The bottom line is you should buy the one you want the most.

Seriously? First someone buys it at a higher price than the normal version but then they decide that they don’t actually like it more and they should somehow justify this, so instead of selling it and actually make some profit they try to justify their decision by saying they like it more the the normal professional...
    That sounds like a very convoluted thought process...

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Seriously? First someone buys it at a higher price than the normal version but then they decide that they don’t actually like it more and they should somehow justify this, so instead of selling it and actually make some profit they try to justify their decision by saying they like it more the the normal professional...
    That sounds like a very convoluted thought process...

Your reply comes across as if you are intentionally looking for an argument so I wont rise to this bait.
    The OP is looking for opinions on whether it is worth spending the extra money to buy the SP of the Pro. I am merely voicing my opinion that owners of the ST are likely to say yes and owners of the standard pro are likely to say no. Of course there are exceptions to this.

Master
    Your reply comes across as if you are intentionally looking for an argument so I wont rise to this bait.
    The OP is looking for opinions on whether it is worth spending the extra money to buy the SP of the Pro. I am merely voicing my opinion that owners of the ST are likely to say yes and owners of the standard pro are likely to say no. Of course there are exceptions to this.
    I wouldn’t be usually looking for an argument but your response does seem to be a bit offensive to people who have placed their hard earned cash to ST. For that amount of money you would expect that they would have done some homework and probably liked what they were buying...
    Especially if the can get the normal version considerably cheaper that is...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wouldn’t be usually looking for an argument but your response does seem to be a bit offensive to people who have placed their hard earned cash to ST. For that amount of money you would expect that they would have done some homework and probably liked what they were buying...

And that’s exactly why owners of the ST will respond by saying they prefer the ST. Not that hard to understand is it?
    In fact it’s exactly the same reason Pro owners will respond saying they prefer the Pro. They have equally chosen to spend their hard earned money on the watch of their choice.

Oh - I have also said that I would buy a ST if I could afford to do so (even though if I could only have one I would have the Pro).
    I have a standard Pro BTW so I may be biased - which is the point I am trying to get across.

Master
    Oh - I have also said that I would buy a ST if I could afford to do so (even though if I could only have one I would have the Pro).
    I have a standard Pro BTW so I may be biased - which is the point I am trying to get across.

No worries!
    I own both so I am trying to be quite objective!

Master
    Having owned both, I think the standard Speedy Pro is my preferred choice. As a watch, the original black dial is probably the best. It has stood the test of time because it has the best visibility , is easiest to read. I found the ST very good-looking. But the white Sub dials obscure readability in poor light. Which has to be a poorer design, to me anyway.
    The standard model is the true icon. I don't think any of the 'special' versions equal it. But if you have spare cash, where's the harm in a little collection , including the ST. Just maybe get the standard version first!

Journeyman
    I also would prefer the ST version - brushed case, dial and rarity factor makes the difference for me. But not at any price of course

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Having owned both, I think the standard Speedy Pro is my preferred choice. As a watch, the original black dial is probably the best. It has stood the test of time because it has the best visibility , is easiest to read. I found the ST very good-looking. But the white Sub dials obscure readability in poor light. Which has to be a poorer design, to me anyway.
    The standard model is the true icon. I don't think any of the 'special' versions equal it. But if you have spare cash, where's the harm in a little collection , including the ST. Just maybe get the standard version first!
    Tend to agree regards readability. But I ended up with the ST as I find the pro just too ‘standard’ if that makes any sense. Who needs a watch to tell the time (rhetorical)?

I have mine on a snoopy strap that suits it perfectly.

Martyn.

I’ve owned both and the only one I’d have again is the standard one.

I have owned neither, nor will I, I suspect.
    However, I would go for the basic Pro, as it is the iconic watch, rather than a re-issue which celebrates it. The original is not premium priced, but the legibility is greater. It also has the joy of juxtaposed finishes, rather than being plain brushed.
    As a result it represents, to me, the better executed watch.
    D

Master
    I really don't like the all brushed case on the Tuesday. Full brushing does NOTHING for the lines of the speedy case.

As someone that owns a Tintin and 60th anniversary I would go for the speedy Tuesday. I’ve never owned the pro, but handled a few and whilst I do like it some of LE’s really stand out to me.

Craftsman
    If I've learnt anything over the years from watch collecting it's dont settle. If you prefer the Tuesday over the standard then buying the standard will just lead to disappointment.

Forget about future values and all that malarkey. If you're not in love with it then it will cost you more in the long run when you come to trade in what you have for what for what you should have bought in the first place.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Tuesday is a poor mans Pro..... erm?

I still own both - I prefer the Tuesday.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Never been motivated enough to buy a Pro, but love the way the Tuesday looks

Craftsman
    It a shame the speedy Tuesday does not come with a bracelet.

Craftsman
    I like the Tuesday enough to have two

Simple, spend Tuesday money on a vintage Pro, I stare at mine when I wear it as they just have a warmth and glow that modern models can’t pull off..
    Also ST’s are still dropping in value while vintage Pro’s are growing..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Simple, spend Tuesday money on a vintage Pro, I stare at mine when I wear it as they just have a warmth and glow that modern models can’t pull off..
    Also ST’s are still dropping in value while vintage Pro’s are growing..

The only place I have seen them come down in price after the obvious initial rush and drop is on here, and that was 2 watches of the 2012 issued.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The only place I have seen them come down in price after the obvious initial rush and drop is on here, and that was 2 watches of the 2012 issued.
    A couple of weeks ago, watchfinder had two at £6,550 and now they have three - one at £6,070 and two at £5,950

I think the Tuesday is the nicer looking watch by far but I don’t know if it’s nice enough to pay the mark up. The MSRP difference is worth it but the Professional is like a DFS sofa, no one ever pays full price!

The Tuesday on the new style bracelet is a winning combo.

For that amount of money you would expect that they would have done some homework and probably liked what they were buying...

Riiiiiight, that’s why none ended up for sale or winging their way to watchfinder for a tidy profit 😂

Master
    I'm lucky enough to own both, but if I could only have one I would stick with the original Moonwatch. The Speedy Tuesday is great as a second Speedy as it is different enough to the Pro to warrant owning both. But I don't favour it. Plus given the actual price you pay for the Tuesday v the Pro you are looking at double and I just can't see it being worth that.

Granted, it's not twice the watch- but I paid around twice as much fur the Tuesday as I did for my recent brand new Speedy. It's all about choice for me.