closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl revival

^^^^^^^ Sorry haven't a clue what happened there, wouldn't delete

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks,I didn’t think of a wall bracket.

I put the rug down where I walk rather than near the deck,not a lot of space.

Grand Master
    Many years ago I built a wall-mounted hi-fi unit, built into a corner of the room. That solved the problem with the turntable being affected by walking across the timber floor. That was in 1989.......... different house, different wife, same turntable!

Paul

This is my turntable set up.

Last edited by Jeff wilson; 27th February 2018 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Some advice please

this is the first house I’ve had with a wooden floor, it’s quite springy.
    Even with a rug down and walking slowly the needle jumps.
    Is there any recommended way to isolate the deck at all?
    My cabinet I posted above is wall mounted and from Ikea ... around £50 all in iirc

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jeff, sorry, but that TT (two tone) looks just plain awful. Hope it sounds better.
    Last edited by Skyman; 27th February 2018 at 20:27.

 it's a clear audio master reference and it's sounds fantastic at the time it was one of the best turntables you could buy so much better than my Linn LP12 ittok arm and Lingo power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Jeff, sorry, but that TT (two tone) looks just plain awful. Hope it sounds better.
    Last edited by Jeff wilson; 27th February 2018 at 20:51.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A very welcome redeeming factor then.👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Blimey - I thought I had a few LPs, but it's probably about 3 of your cubby holes!

How often do you play them though? I know I've got albums I'd never play (assuming I had a TT up and running!), so you must have dozens like that!

M

Not as often as I like, but many (75%) are singles so it's quite a bit less time than if all albums.

And in answer to another post, it's on the upstairs, but we got a builder/joiner in to fix the frames to the wall. And it's an old house/thick wall so it seems fine to be honest. (Famous last words).

The vinyl revival is something I would never have predicted. Thankfully, I never gave up on it and kept all my records through the 90/00's and all the distractions raising a young family brings. My collection features many albums I bought as a young teenager and has only continued to grow over the past decade. It has been quite a lot of fun (and expensive) tracking down many of my favourite albums from the 90's on original pressings, but I have a core collection now that will keep me content until my ears give in.

I am not one that believes vinyl is simply better, it isnt at all. As a rule of thumb it usually is but often the cynical music industry doesnt master for vinyl or uses digital transfers. Unfortunately, this is more prevalent at the moment as the industry clamours to cash in before peak vinyl is reached. if you are interested on educating yourself on the many pressings available for your favourite albums the stevehoffman.tv dicsussion forum is the ultimate resource, it is very much TZ for music :)

I am still working towards my ultimate listening room and speakers though :) Next year should see me finally get a dedicated sound treated room sorted and my endgame speakers.

Cheers

I was out with my nephew at the weekend, he paid £15 for a blondie LP. He is quite happy starting to build a collection a little at a time. Didn’t want to tell him I had thrown away pretty much everything he would have enjoyed!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

I am not one that believes vinyl is simply better, it isnt at all. As a rule of thumb it usually is but often the cynical music industry doesnt master for vinyl or uses digital transfers. Unfortunately, this is more prevalent at the moment as the industry clamours to cash in before peak vinyl is reached. if you are interested on educating yourself on the many pressings available for your favourite albums the stevehoffman.tv dicsussion forum is the ultimate resource, it is very much TZ for music :)

Yes, there's no rational way to say that vinyl sounds "better". You might say that you prefer the sound but then again if you're that keen, you could always re-encode your CDs down to 13 bit and roll a bit of the treble off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes, there's no rational way to say that vinyl sounds "better". You might say that you prefer the sound but then again if you're that keen, you could always re-encode your CDs down to 13 bit and roll a bit of the treble off.
    Say what? I can agree that CDs have a lower noise floor and much higher dynamic range than vinyl, but a better frequency range? CDs are brick-walled at 22Khz, but a decent moving coil cartridge with a fineline or Shiabata tip can cleanly reproduce much higher frequencies (Quadraphonic used 30KHz plus frequencies for the rear channels, and that was in the '70s).

My hearing goes nowhere near there, there, so it is a bit beside the point - much the same way I don't hear rumble or hiss from my turntable (except between tracks, with the volume high). I much prefer the sound of my Turntable to (say) ripped CDs played through my Raspberry Pi + DAC; the same CDs played through my hifi DAC sound much better - closer to the vinyl in quality.

Tim

Grand Master
    Just over a week since I re-commissioned the turntable, I`ve enjoyed digging a few old records out that I`d forgotten I owned.

Whilst I`m more impressed with the sound quality from vinyl than I expected to be, in back to back tests the CD still wins with my current set-up. I`ve done this using the same recording, no re-mastered versions; whilst the sound from vinyl is impressive the CDs sound better. I`m sure a better cartridge would narrow the gap, but taking a purely objective view I can`t justify spending £££££ on upgrades and buying lots of vinyl, it makes no sense for me to do that. My CD player's an Arcam CD 36, a £1000 player 10 years ago, so I guess I`m setting the bar reasonably high.

I think there's a direct analogy with the quartz v mechanical watch debate; most of us accept that a quartz watch does the job better but that doesn`t stop us loving the mechanical timepieces. I`m really enjoying the whole experience of listening to vinyl again, probably for all the wrong reasons........or maybe they're the right reasons?

I find typical 80s productions a bit wearing. Everything tended to sound very sharp and synthetic, lacking in musicality if that makes sense, and this is where vinyl can score a few wins for me by taking the 'sharp edge' of some of the music. The Genesis album 'Invisible Touch 'is a case in point, a very 80s-sounding production. I`ve got both the CD and vinyl versions and I`ll be giving the vinyl a spin when I get chance.

Perhaps it's a case of horses for courses, I always find 60s Motown stuff sounds better if it's not too sharp and well-defined. CD can make things sound a tad too clean, whilst it might be a more accurate reproduction of the music it doesn`t necessarily make the music more enjoyable in some cases.

On that basis there's never going to be a clear-cut answer in the CD v Vinyl debate, maybe it's a case of accepting that some stuff will sound better on CD and other stuff benefits from the way vinyl can round of some of the sharp edges.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I always find 60s Motown stuff sounds better if it's not too sharp and well-defined
    Agreed! This is what I enjoy listening to the most on my TT, and all my old Northern Soul records ... it has such feeling to it! Lovely!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don't think too much about the technicalities and whatnot regarding vinyl vs cd,what decade pressings are better than another decades pressings,whether you should do this that or the other etc etc.....I just like the process of sticking a record on and listening to it.

At our musical evenings we would have maybe 30 people attending. We always had a medium to high end system with a Musical Fidelity CD player as the source and maybe change the speakers from conventional cones to Quad electrostatics. At the end of the evening we would maybe play a track or two of Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD (non Re-mastered). We would then play the same LP on a Roksan Xerxes, Rega RB300 tonearm, Ortofon Rohmann MC cartrige.
    Hands down the LP sounded better every time and draw a round of applause.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Agreed! This is what I enjoy listening to the most on my TT, and all my old Northern Soul records ... it has such feeling to it! Lovely!
    I have plenty of Northern Soul, but all CDs, no vinyl! Much as I like the music I’m not getting into the collectible vinyl scene, too rich for my blood thesedays.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    At our musical evenings we would have maybe 30 people attending. We always had a medium to high end system with a Musical Fidelity CD player as the source and maybe change the speakers from conventional cones to Quad electrostatics. At the end of the evening we would maybe play a track or two of Miles Davis Kind of Blue CD (non Re-mastered). We would then play the same LP on a Roksan Xerxes, Rega RB300 tonearm, Ortofon Rohmann MC cartrige.
    Hands down the LP sounded better every time and draw a round of applause.

Maybe I’m not trying hard enough........or spending enough

Wallet’s taken a battering since Christmas, might have to sell a couple of watches!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Yes massive fan .. always have been. The slip mat is fab, I love it ... that's a good group on FB too inbetween the constant bitching :)

The frames I picked up from Home Bargains one day, they were down from a fiver to £1.50 or something around there .. I grabbed a stack of them.

Seem FTJ a few times, it's just like watching TJ really ... Hastings is so like Weller in him mannerisms ... great fun and always a good singalong night!
    Russell is having a blast touring and playing & in studio with Bruce and with Weller sometimes too. It's the nearest people will get and great to meet Bruce & hear him play live the original tracks.

Friends of mine tour round Devon (mainly south) DJ'ing interspersed with live music gigs MC'ing & only playing vinyl.... mod/soul/ska/northern

always a great fun time & good exercise

Ive got two systems this is my 1st

This is my compact system which to be fair isn't so bad

Talking of vynl, found this the other day, fascinating story.
    https://www.npr.org/2016/01/09/46228...et-x-ray-music
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    My son wanted a few HiFi bits for his flat so I picked up a package on ebay for under 150 quid. Linn speakers Cyrus amp etc etc.

The interesting bit was a "Revolver" deck with a Linn arm. I thought it sounded really good

So he didn't get that ....

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Ive got two systems this is my 1st

This is my compact system which to be fair isn't so bad
    Looks impressive. Would like to know what is in the setups. I have the Ruark in my bedroom but don't recognise the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    My son wanted a few HiFi bits for his flat so I picked up a package on ebay for under 150 quid. Linn speakers Cyrus amp etc etc.

The interesting bit was a "Revolver" deck with a Linn arm. I thought it sounded really good

So he didn't get that ....
    I've still got my Revolver with Linn arm, it still sounds pretty good to me. It came with a fancy mat (possibly antistatic?) and a rubber thingummy that fitted over the spindle to clamp the record down.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Looks impressive. Would like to know what is in the setups. I have the Ruark in my bedroom but don't recognise the rest.
    Hi chap the small system
    Ruark R4 mk3 and Pro-Ject Genie 1.3 with a acrylic platter + AT95P cartridge
    Rothwell Rialto phono amp

The main system
    TURNTABLE SETUP
    Michell Orbe, SME V Benz Wood Missing Link Log-Rhythm MK-2 Phono Interconnect
    Fidelity Audio Custom Power Supply
    Rothwell MC1 SUT
    Rothwell Rialto

SPEAKER STUFF
    ATC 150 Amp
    ATC C1 Center Speaker
    ATC SCM40 speakers
    KEF Eggs Rear speakers
    KEF Sub

Clocked Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite
    Fidelity Audio Dac 150 SE
    Sony MD Player

Fidelity Audio NNU X Reference Mains Purifier
    Missing Link Mains cables, Alaqeia Interconnect, Dark Art
    Audio Wire Speaker cable with Fidelity Audio NN Z Speaker Purifier

HiFi Racks Podium Reference White
    Last edited by bazza.; 9th March 2018 at 19:53.

Grand Master
    The vinyl oddysey took another significant twist today.

Around 1998/9, whilst striving to copy from vinyl to CD using one of the earliest CD writers, my Goldring 1022 cartridge took a whack. The details are now lost in the mists of time, I thought the stylus had been damaged by small people ( who are now grown up and bigger than me) so I ended up buying a cheap £30 cartridge rather than spend around £80 for a replacement stylus. A house move and a whole chunk of life have elapsed, but I knew I still had the Goldring cartridge, plus a load of spacers/ fittings somewhere......I don’t throw stuff away but I misplace the odd item or two.

Fast forward to today, having seen the cost of a good quality cartridge upgrade I set out to find the Goldring plus associated parts, had another look in the loft and struck gold!........found then in a plastic bag together with a few other bits and bats. Had a good look at the cartridge/ stylus and couldn’t see much wrong.........so why did I replace it? Can’t answer that, but possibly I made a wrong assumption that it was damaged. Anyhow, I’ve now refitted it and it’s working fine. Sound quality has definitely moved up into another league, everything’s sharper and better defined......Arcam CD 36 is now getting a run for it’s money!

This cartridge and stylus would cost around £290 today, so it’s fair to say my delve into the depths of the loft has been fruitful. Suffice to say I’m impressed. Also found that one of the transit screws on the turntable wasn’t fully loosened, god knows how that’s come about, but everything’s now ‘floating’ as it should!

Paul

^^^^ nice one Paul, enjoy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did some research and bought some bits to fine tune my system.

Banana plugs,spike rests,electricians screwdriver.

I Removed my old mission bookshelf speakers.

Then set up my JPWs by putting the spikes back in,bridging the bi wire posts then fitting banana plugs [I wish I had known about them before].

The hardest thing was getting the spikes on the rests,do they have to be so small?

I then rearranged the room so my deck,amp and CD player on it’s racking where on a thick rug,this has helped with the needle jumping.

It sounds better,it’s been a pleasure just sitting down and listening to old records designed for the job.

Slowly getting there since my house move.

Craftsman
    Make sure you put a bit of felt on the bottom of your spike shoes as I’ve found the speakers can still move a little.

Biggest difference you’ll see in sound is making sure you’re turntable is perfectly level using a bubble (not spirit) level. Can get them off eBay for under £5.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s good advice I used a spirit level on the speakers as the floor seemed un level in places,I never thought about the record deck as it seemed stable.
    The carpet has made a massive improvement with the needle jumping,I wonder if it also improved the sound.

Could anyone help with a few questions.

A,will a cork or felt mat be beneficial,I just have the original rubber mat.
    B,this is the needle I bought pre internet days [i know] on the advice of a hi-fit shop.
    What would be an equivalent replacement today?

Master
    My HiFi story:

Like everyone my age (late 50's) I was a hifi nut in the late 70's/early 80's; every spare penny went on gear and LPs and a NAIM/LINN setup was my unfulfilled dream. Then I left university and moved house a few times and the hifi followed me around in the original boxes usually going straight into the loft until the next house move. btw Ariston deck with an M/C cartidge (can't remember the name), Cambridge pre/power amp setup and Ruark Swordsman speakers. Then about 6 years ago I decided to get the boxes out of the loft. Well the speakers were okay and the amp worked but various plastic buttons had disintegrated and the volume pot and power switch were very iffy; I don't think 20+ years in lofts had done it all much good. So I put the old deck, cartridge and speakers on 'the bay' (and quite happy with what I got for them) and decided to splash out on some new gear. So started with a Rega RP3 and Cambridge integrated amp (not sure of the model... the big one) and some B&W small speakers (C5?). Quickly got the cartridge upgraded to a Dynavector M/C with Pro-ject Tube Box DS phono stage. Then the speakers for Sonus Faber Venere. Then, after spending hundreds of pounds on new vinyl, I decided I was sick of spending all this money on records c. £20 an LP! IMHO vinyl is a dead end which has it's followers in the retro-young but well off crowd but for me it just seamed an expensive way of listening to music - sorry if that offends some people. The way I see it I was going to reach the stage in perhaps 10 years time where I'd have thousands and thousands of pounds in vinyl records and not much to show for it.

So I went 100% digital (flac). The deck went and was traded in for a NAIM ND5 XS player. Then spent a couple of days ripping all our CDs to flacs. Started with a WD NAS for storage but got sick of playing with it's settings so went for a NAS built around an Intel NUC with a 1TB SSD running Asset UPnP (that was a breath of fresh air!). Over the next year the amp was replaced with a NAIM Supernait 2 (big improvement but should be for the price) then another 10 months and the speakers changed for Proak D20R (another big improvement... worth the extra money). Another year goes by. After trying various power upgrades for the NAIM units I decided the money would be better spent on a new player so then enters an NDX (small improvement but a lot of dosh). During all this time other small tweaks were going on like TQ Black speaker cable and some better interconnects and a cheap but respectable rack (the Ikea Besta unit went to the tip).

So after reaching the point where the current setup cost c. 10K nothing's changed now for about 18 months except buying a lot of music (often super cheap CDs which are ripped on my PC - I now have well over a thousand albums which, if vinyl, would have cost enough to buy a very respectable car!). I admit though I am starting to get an itch for another upgrade/change but sensibly I'm managing to hold myself in check and waste my money on other 'hobbies' instead ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just don’t get it,expensive not for me.

There’s no need for everything to be on vinyl,I play the records made back in the day on vinyl.
    Most of my records are my originals,later music that was made for the CD age I play on CD.
    Occasionally I buy records from charity shops or high street record shops pre owned old records section.

But I am not obsessed with it nor with my stereo set up other than getting a good sound that I like.
    Compared to set ups on here I expect it would be considered very poor.
    Last night I was listening to music until midnight [my neighbors away] it was an absolute pleasure finding stuff I had forgotten about.
    The mint Jim Reeves cost me £2 from a charity shop along with some excellent CDs on Sunday.
    I loved the German spelling of Johnny rotten,I am friends with Kate on Facebook,I remember tracking down the joy division single.
    With records it’s more than the music it’s like everyone has a story behind it.
    Yellowing inner sleeves,frayed covers etc. my records reflect life.

Grand Master
    The vinyl quest continues........

Had a very careful look at the stylus on my Goldring 1022, with everything set up as best I could the cartridge body was riding very close to the surface of the record, despite sounding very sharp and detailed something definitely wasn’t right. Turns out the cantilever has been bent and the stylus is nowhere near vertical in the grooves. This ties in with my vague recollection of the stylus getting damaged and a cheap replacement cartridge being fitted.

Having consulted TZ’s resident hi- fi oracle (thanks Rod) I’ve decided to stick with the Goldring and buy a replacement GX 1042 stylus. Not the cheapest option, it’s bang at the top of what I’m willing to spend, but I think it’ll be worthwhile. It’ll last for years because it won’t get a huge amount of use.

Sold a watch this week, I can justify the spending as shifting money from one hobby to another!

Paul

Edit: The stylus arrived today, fitted it immediately, then sat back and enjoyed the sound.

V. impressed, my vinyl player is definitely pushing the CD player very close. I would say the sound is 'different' rather than better and I suspect some music will sound a touch nicer. I`ll have another go at optimising the cartridge alignment etc but I`m sure it's fairly close as it is. After that I`ll draw a line under it and start listening to music again...........it's easy to get sucked into listening to the system rather than what's actually playing!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th March 2018 at 15:05.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I added new cable today carefully stripping and fitting plugs,I moved the speakers of the rests and put down small sections of chip board [just to clumsy otherwise].
    Tomorrow I am trying a Marantz 6006 amp and may send the Onkyo back it’s sounds good but I am used to Marantz.
    I want to change the cartridge but can’t work out how to remove it even though I’ve done it before.
    I also found a couple of my records are unplayable ie.warped or just to many scratches.

But compared to these people it’s nothing,how many people have their own dedicated electricity supply?

https://youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk

Or this setup I can’t even work out how he operates it all.

https://youtu.be/H07NpWk_Xf8

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The vinyl quest continues........

Had a very careful look at the stylus on my Goldring 1022, with everything set up as best I could the cartridge body was riding very close to the surface of the record, despite sounding very sharp and detailed something definitely wasn’t right. Turns out the cantilever has been bent and the stylus is nowhere near vertical in the grooves. This ties in with my vague recollection of the stylus getting damaged and a cheap replacement cartridge being fitted.

Having consulted TZ’s resident hi- fi oracle (thanks Rod) I’ve decided to stick with the Goldring and buy a replacement GX 1042 stylus. Not the cheapest option, it’s bang at the top of what I’m willing to spend, but I think it’ll be worthwhile. It’ll last for years because it won’t get a huge amount of use.

Sold a watch this week, I can justify the spending as shifting money from one hobby to another!

Paul

Edit: The stylus arrived today, fitted it immediately, then sat back and enjoyed the sound.

V. impressed, my vinyl player is definitely pushing the CD player very close. I would say the sound is 'different' rather than better and I suspect some music will sound a touch nicer. I`ll have another go at optimising the cartridge alignment etc but I`m sure it's fairly close as it is. After that I`ll draw a line under it and start listening to music again...........it's easy to get sucked into listening to the system rather than what's actually playing!
    nice cart that, used to have one on my first axis years ago.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I don't think too much about the technicalities and whatnot regarding vinyl vs cd,what decade pressings are better than another decades pressings,whether you should do this that or the other etc etc.....I just like the process of sticking a record on and listening to it.
    That's it for me too. It's not so much about the music quality as the engagement with listening to music. Music is too disposable streamed from Spotify, and I think that is what the vinyl revival is about - it's like plucking an apple from a tree on a sunny day, rubbing it on your sleeve and eating it there and then, compared with putting into your supermarket trolley a bag of shipped-halfway-around-the-world, out-of-season apples.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s the music that counts.

I just hooked up the Marantz 6006 that arrived today.
    I sat in my chair eyes closed and didn’t move a muscle for 15 minutes while I listened to Voodo chile.
    40 years I’ve owned that record from being a young soldier in Germany,I never tire of it.
    Music shouldn’t be background stop and listen to it.

Though saying that it’s like the watches now I am thinking shall I change the speakers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff wilson View Post
    This is my turntable set up.

Hi Jeff,
    The Clearaudio looks amazing. Could I ask what the speakers are please?

FNAC (the French equivalent of HMV) is having a record promotion at the mo'. Just bought Blood on the Tracks Sony Music Original Master for 10 Euros, London Grammar - If You Wait double album plus a bonus 6 track CD for 15 Euros and John Coltrane - Naima double album for 16 Euros and received 6 Euros in gift tokens. Not a bad shopping trip, I'd say.

Hi the speakers are Meridian DSP6000 really good in their day.

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    The Clearaudio looks amazing. Could I ask what the speakers are please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff wilson View Post
    Hi the speakers are Meridian DSP6000 really good in their day.

Thanks Jeff.

There’s no need for everything to be on vinyl,I play the records made back in the day on vinyl.
    Most of my records are my originals,later music that was made for the CD age I play on CD.
    Occasionally I buy records from charity shops or high street record shops pre owned old records section.

But I am not obsessed with it nor with my stereo set up other than getting a good sound that I like.
    Last night I was listening to music until midnight [my neighbors away] it was an absolute pleasure finding stuff I had forgotten about.
    The mint Jim Reeves cost me £2 from a charity shop along with some excellent CDs on Sunday.
    I loved the German spelling of Johnny rotten,I am friends with Kate on Facebook,I remember tracking down the joy division single.

Is that an original UK copy of the Stooges on red Elektra?
    If so I'm very envious!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timlin View Post
    Is that an original UK copy of the Stooges on red Elektra?
    If so I'm very envious!
    I’ve had it a while,how can I tell?

After some research it’s a early Canadian re-issue this one below.
    It’s in good condition with thick old type cover.

Last edited by bwest76; 16th March 2018 at 00:27.

All copies are good and as you say it is all really about the music!
    The first press UK issue of the Stooges sold in it's tens when released so is particularly rare and sought after.
    I have a US pressing which I play regularly and am am quite happy with that.

Craftsman
    I added new cable today carefully stripping and fitting plugs,I moved the speakers of the rests and put down small sections of chip board [just to clumsy otherwise].
    Tomorrow I am trying a Marantz 6006 amp and may send the Onkyo back it’s sounds good but I am used to Marantz.
    I want to change the cartridge but can’t work out how to remove it even though I’ve done it before.
    I also found a couple of my records are unplayable ie.warped or just to many scratches.

But compared to these people it’s nothing,how many people have their own dedicated electricity supply?

https://youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk

Or this setup I can’t even work out how he operates it all.

https://youtu.be/H07NpWk_Xf8
    Amp (preamp), speakers, cable, TT, records, chair - it’s all you need to enjoy.

Craftsman
    Never really understood the whole “power supply cable” upgrade as surely the cable is only as good as its weakest link i.e. cabling running through the walls

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Never really understood the whole “power supply cable” upgrade as surely the cable is only as good as its weakest link i.e. cabling running through the walls
    Yes, and the piddly little fuse the squiggly stuff flows through in the plug! There is some real snake oil peddled in the hifi industry.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    The weakest link is the actual mains supply itself. A good mains 'conditioner' is an upgrade. Monster cables once sent me a kit (aptly naimed,'Dr. Mains') which just showed how noisy the mains is... plug a conditioner in and it went silent.
    This one works well for £35....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Cond.../dp/B000PS5700

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Yes, and the piddly little fuse the squiggly stuff flows through in the plug! There is some real snake oil peddled in the hifi industry.
    Oooh, that's an idea. My next venture may be audiophile fuses. Let's see; oxygen-free single crystal wire, gold-plated end-caps, space shuttle grade ceramic cartridge all topped-off with a high grade silicon dioxide filler (i.e. builders sand but I may omit that from the label). Ka-ching!