closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl revival

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Don't the AT95E styluses fit the K9? In which case something like this: https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_...oducts_id=1602 would probably really bring it back to life!
    i have read that they can, but you need to trim a bit off!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i have read that they can, but you need to trim a bit off!
    I don't think so, it just looks a bit weird: see here https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=73708

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Very nice gear, not sure about the cushions though ;-) What's that atop the shelves on the right please?
    A German Valve radio from 1960 with a "spatial" button which a sort of stereo or wide sound stage effect. Works well.

From memory. Linn K9 are just re-badged AT cartridges.

I would thoroughly recommend the Hana range.MC low and high out put. Brilliant for the money. http://www.airaudio.co.uk/brands/hana/

Doesn’t need trimming , just looks odd here’s mine

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Now that I like,I have all my Jam singles in a separate case.
    Seen them at reading in 1978.
    Did you go to the exhibition in London?
    Yes all my original singles are tucked away too :) ..... I didn't get to Somerset House no, I put it off and off as I was busy and then it was too late, I should have made more effort looking back now

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I just replaced my aged technics with a new audio technica, just need more storage boxes now too....& I have just got that slipmat too cf31 via the Jam Society Facebook group! Love the album frames see you are a fan..... my old friend from youth cub days is Russell Hastings now with Bruce in FTJ so met him couple years back again

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes massive fan .. always have been. The slip mat is fab, I love it ... that's a good group on FB too inbetween the constant bitching :)

The frames I picked up from Home Bargains one day, they were down from a fiver to £1.50 or something around there .. I grabbed a stack of them.

Seem FTJ a few times, it's just like watching TJ really ... Hastings is so like Weller in him mannerisms ... great fun and always a good singalong night!

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Always been a vinyl fan. Still only buy vinyl and listen to vinyl. Like my TTs too of which I have a collection. Usually have 3 on the go, different arms an cartridges on each. Vintage Japanese direct drive statement TTs. sound is superlative IMHO.

That is an outstanding room Gerard! .... impressed!

Grand Master
    Just read through all the comments, clearly we have a few committed vinylists on the forum!

Just checked the catridge fitted to my Thorens, turns out it’s an Ortofon pro S which is (apparently) a DJ catridge. I vagely remember replacing it in the late 90s after having a good quality Goldring wrecked by small inquisitive fingers (she’s now 26!). I recall asking for something fairly cheap and robust!

From what I’ve read, it should be possible to upgrade with a better stylus, but the prices seem a bit higher than I expected.

This all started when wifey decided the lounge needed a complete makeover, all the dark mahogany had to go, to be replaced with ligher ( modern!) oak. My mahogany Castle speakers have now been replaced with Monitor Audio silver 200s in light oak which do sound a little better than the Castles, so despite the cost (£999) I now have a better sounding system. Wifey sweetened me up by ‘suggesting’ a seperate unit to house the hi- fi and provide the opportunity to get the turntable out again. Wehave a lot of vinyl which almost got sold/given away over the years, as a natural hoarder I resisted this and I’m mighty glad I did!

I’ve no plans to upgrade my CD player (Arcam fmj 36) or amps (Arcam A85/ P85) because to my ears they still sound excellent.

As for the turntable, it’s a chicken and egg situation: I don’t know how good it’s capable of sounding without throwing more money at it, but I could end up spending a ££££ on a cartridge and feel it’s not been worth it! To date it’s cost £150, having relieved me of a grand for the speakers my friendly local dealer gave me a good deal on a Musical Fidelity phono stage and it seems like money well spent so far.

Not sure how far down the vinyl highway I’ll travel, for years I was a non-believer and I do own lots of CDs, but I reckon it’s worth putting a bit more money in to get a decent cartridge on my current set-up.

Paul

This pretty much sums it up in my opinion ...........

In the end it’s the music not the hardware that’s most important to me.

Master
    My HiFi lived in the loft for a number of years after moving house, along with all of my records (I too am of an age where I bought records not vinyl). There’s approx 200 LP’s and a box of Singles

I set it all up a couple of years ago and immediately fell back in love with Music.

So for the HiFi buffs the current set up is Rega Planar 3 with Rega Cartridge, sorry I don’t recall which one, running through a Musical Fidelity A1 Class A Amp, Audioquest Cables driving Mission 771 Speakers.

The amp is somewhat temperamental suffering issues with the volume control, it goes full volume with no control to turn it down - randomly! When this happens I replace it with an Arcam Delta 290 which was my main living room amp years ago. The MF has a warmer sound, so is preferred.

The record collection tracks my younger years. I have all, well most, of the records that I bought: first single - Mungo Jerry In The Summertime, first LP given to me as a present - Slade Old New Borrowed & Blue, first LP I paid for myself - Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti just before seeing them at my first live concert. Right the way through to the final LP when CD’s really took over which was Bryan Adams Into The Fire. I then went through the compact disc phase and switched to “vinyl” again in 1995 with Big Country Why The Long Face limited edition.

For me the sounds are more pleasant to listen to over longer periods compared to cd’s. The “soundstage” is also far superior.

I love the fact you have something worth reading in the cover and that an LP kind of forces you to listen to all of the side and not flit from track to track. Often I find something that grows over time that I didn’t particularly like on the first listen.

The CD’s hardly get a look in these days. iPod for out and about or in the car.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just read through all the comments, clearly we have a few committed vinylists on the forum!

Just checked the catridge fitted to my Thorens, turns out it’s an Ortofon pro S which is (apparently) a DJ catridge. I vagely remember replacing it in the late 90s after having a good quality Goldring wrecked by small inquisitive fingers (she’s now 26!). I recall asking for something fairly cheap and robust!

From what I’ve read, it should be possible to upgrade with a better stylus, but the prices seem a bit higher than I expected.

This all started when wifey decided the lounge needed a complete makeover, all the dark mahogany had to go, to be replaced with ligher ( modern!) oak. My mahogany Castle speakers have now been replaced with Monitor Audio silver 200s in light oak which do sound a little better than the Castles, so despite the cost (£999) I now have a better sounding system. Wifey sweetened me up by ‘suggesting’ a seperate unit to house the hi- fi and provide the opportunity to get the turntable out again. Wehave a lot of vinyl which almost got sold/given away over the years, as a natural hoarder I resisted this and I’m mighty glad I did!

I’ve no plans to upgrade my CD player (Arcam fmj 36) or amps (Arcam A85/ P85) because to my ears they still sound excellent.

As for the turntable, it’s a chicken and egg situation: I don’t know how good it’s capable of sounding without throwing more money at it, but I could end up spending a ££££ on a cartridge and feel it’s not been worth it! To date it’s cost £150, having relieved me of a grand for the speakers my friendly local dealer gave me a good deal on a Musical Fidelity phono stage and it seems like money well spent so far.

Not sure how far down the vinyl highway I’ll travel, for years I was a non-believer and I do own lots of CDs, but I reckon it’s worth putting a bit more money in to get a decent cartridge on my current set-up.

Paul
    Hifi is a bit similar to watches. You can buy a second hand Rolex in good condition, use it and later sell it and you will almost certainly get your money back.

With Hifi, if you buy good British makes, you can use it and easily sell it on at a later date and usually get more than what you paid for it.

I bought a pair of Linn Isobarik speakers in dark wood about 15 years ago for £690.00. These are really big speakers that have bass that will shake your windows and a top end that is as delicate as you could ever hope for. Like you, I had the lounge redecorated last year and the wife wanted light wood to blend in. I sold the Isobariks within days for £1200.00 and bought a pair of light oak Shahinian Arcs for £1400.00. I have three people asking me to give them first refusal if I ever decide to sell them. One offered £1800.00 on the spot. I declined because I like the sound.

Old Tannoy speaker just keep going up and up in value and sound gorgeous.

Naim equipment always goes up whereas the modern stuff you buy in the shops just plummets in value.

The only disadvantage of the older stuff is that it is a lot larger in size which usually makes the wife reluctant to agree to it's purchase.

I have just bought a new villa in Spain and want some older hifi out there and I am working out how to transfer it across safely and securely.

I may buy a modern streamer and use an old Naim amplifier and British speakers. No way will I buy modern stuff which is destined to become landfill in ten years from now.

Thought I'd add this interesting video of Rega making the RP8

https://thevinylfactory.com/films/ma...turntable-rp8/

I put together a little set up last year too.
    Nothing special but I still have all my late 80s early 90s dance music 12 inches thankfully, the wife bought me the rereleased Sgt Pepper for my birthday too.
    I really need a more powerful amp though, I can max out the Fat Boy too easily ( Mission M35 speakers )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    That is an outstanding room Gerard! .... impressed!

Many thanks.

The TTs which are currently running

Whilst I understand the comment re the music is the most important element.....I would compare it to watches. Time is the most important element of horology.... how you tell the time is irrelevant -cheap Casio through to Breguet masterpiece. I like TTs in the same way I like watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Many thanks.

The TTs which are currently running

Whilst I understand the comment re the music is the most important element.....I would compare it to watches. Time is the most important element of horology.... how you tell the time is irrelevant -cheap Casio through to Breguet masterpiece. I like TTs in the same way I like watches.
    I see what you are saying but it’s not quite the thing.

I would rather listen to Jimi Hendrix and the sex pistols on a old broken stereogram
    Than oasis and genesis on equipment costing tens of thousands.

Master
    Not a revival for me; never been without a turntable, despite adopting new tech along the way: cd's, digital etc. have about 800 vinyl albums, 1200 cds and about 250gb of music on hard drive, plus Tidal. running it all is an Audiolab 8200cdq, Project Experience TT with Audio Technica mm cartridge, Whest Two phono stage and my new KEF LS50 wireless speakers..which are magnificent! a few quick pics. the cds and vinyl below are current listenings.20180224_153317.jpg20180224_153336.jpg

Master
    some lovely vinyl spinners on here btw!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Thought I'd add this interesting video of Rega making the RP8

https://thevinylfactory.com/films/ma...turntable-rp8/
    Excellent.👍

Master
    the Kef LS50's1519487230157.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    I boxed up my 100s of CDs a while back after getting Spotify and various bluetooth/wifi speakers ...... I wonder if there'll be a CD revival in ???? years time? :)
    Yes, and they will be amazed at how much better they sound than vinyl !
    I started buying LP/Singles in the late 60s and still have a few bags full in the loft. Greasy Truckers Party anyone?
    The joy for me with CD was that I could still enjoy an album the morning after the first party that I took it to!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Yes, and they will be amazed at how much better they sound than vinyl !
    I started buying LP/Singles in the late 60s and still have a few bags full in the loft. Greasy Truckers Party anyone?
    The joy for me with CD was that I could still enjoy an album the morning after the first party that I took it to!
    Nah, CDs sound shit! Anaemic and lacking in soul.

Craftsman
    I was so enthused by the posts here that I spent the afternoon searching the attic for my Pioneer PL12D. When Mrs C returned home she admitted it had gone to the charity shop....
    I still have several boxes of vinyl- which must remain silent for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Nah, CDs sound shit! Anaemic and lacking in soul.
    When we did CD v Vinyl as a public demonstration vinyl was always better.

Funny how tastes change, I bought my first CD player in 87 with part of my first pay packet, I can’t remember the set up but was really impressed by the sharpness and clarity of the sound, now it sounds too clean and prefer my vinyl sound.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    In the 90s the quality of CD seemed really poor to me but I believe they're better now. I prefer vinyl and regularly buy even now. Luckily, my wife likes the whole experience as well so, no issues with fitting in large boxes. We have about 1000 LPs bought from the early seventies to last week - some obviously pre-dating the 70s.

We bought virtually all our kit 20 years ago and apart from new cartridges, valves and so on have no interest in buying anything else these days as it really is all about the music and not chasing that last little upgrade.

Vinyl setup is an LP12 with offboard supply, Naim ARO, Dynavector 17D3 cartridge.

Plays through Kora Eclipse pre-amp and Kora 100SB power amps. Sadly Kora are now defunct but made a few hundred systems a year so were hardly set up to make money. I met the guys there who were all musicians and spent an enjoyable day with them in Toulouse.

Sonus Faber Electa Amator speakers. These are very nice and also look stunning being solid walnut cases.

The RTR was a more recent addition but still 5-10 years ago. I rebuilt it and it works very well. Only bought because I always wanted one and couldn't afford them in period. It's a Revox B77 high speed Reel to Reel and, yes that's a cassette deck... It's a Revox B710 and I use it to make tapes for the cars.

Cheers, Chris

I see what you are saying but it’s not quite the thing.

I would rather listen to Jimi Hendrix and the sex pistols on a old broken stereogram
    Than oasis and genesis on equipment costing tens of thousands.

I'd rather listen to Jimi Hendrix and The Sex Pistols through equipment costing hundreds of pounds than through an old broken stereogram.

I always remember Peter Walker (founder) of Quad, saying,"There are those who put up with the music to listen to the equipment, and those who put up with the equipment to listen to the music". He was a gent and a genius.

I gave up on my vintage B&O habit a while back and moved to a more modern set-up. At one point I had three separate systems in the house built around B&O record decks.

I wonder how many of the people that are swearing that their old equipment sounds so fantastic have invested the time and money into having their gear serviced so that it functions as it should? Just like old watches, parts (capacitors, foam surrounds, etc.) degrade over time. I spent thousands over about ten years sending stuff away to be serviced/worked on as I added to my collection.

In the end my interest waned and I sold the lot and bought some Beolab 5s and a Beosound 9000. I found some of the modern re-issue vinyl LPs that were mastered for CD sounded harsh, and I just missed the convenience, sound quality and durability of CDs.

A 20-30 year-old vinyl set up playing though speakers with foam rot and degraded caps will sound pretty rough, regardless of what you might like to think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i sold all my vinyl about ten years ago and regretted it! after buying a Linn Axis through this esteemed forum i'm back up to about 1500 lp's now, the disease is worse than watches! regarding modern vinyl, do your research on the pressings, they vary from excellent to very ropey. I even have one that has cd skipping noises on one side. This place is excellent to get a decent overview of classic reissues: search artist and "best pressing"
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

for reissues keep an eye here- delivery is expensive for one item but if you buy a few shipping stays at one flat price- and it often has clearance sales with some hefty deals to be had especially on box sets.
    https://greatofferstore.com/*/Vinyl/...803B25B739E.t1

Second hand vinyl is a minefield but often building up a relationship with a dealer leads to less of those nasty gravel chewed surprises. a good friend at Birds Nest Records in scunthorpe and hull sources a lot of rarer stuff in good nick for me, also if you have to have perfrct first pressings etc Minster Records in Beverley seems to have found a seam of superb rare vinyl in really superb condition. prices can be high but his condition reports are truthful and conservative. Bargains are still to be had on ebay but study photos and look at previous listings and feedback on the same seller. some are not great at descriptions but if the feedback is good worth a punt for rare albums. I'm sat listening to King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King first pressing on pink island which i picked up this way for £12, dealer prices can be north of £500 for this lp!
    Car boots and charity shops can still be good but you need to be there early at car boots, and pop up/ small local charity shops are best, oxfam and scope etc either price too high using price guides without reference to condition, or send the best stuff to nation sorting centres these days.

If you want a tour of east yorkshires vinyl mines let me know paul!

Is Birds Nest the one on the market? Popped in there over Xmas when I was back home...

Craftsman
    This is most, not all of my collection.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

A 20-30 year-old vinyl set up playing though speakers with foam rot and degraded caps will sound pretty rough, regardless of what you might like to think.
    This is a good point. I've done a lot of work on my equipment over the years. It's interesting as well but there's a significant cost in test equipment. When you think how much caps are, for example, the cost in replacing them is virtually all labour but checking everything at the end takes time as well.

Cheers, Chris

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Is Birds Nest the one on the market? Popped in there over Xmas when I was back home...
    That’s him, a good mate of mine and much vinyl goes both ways between us.,
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I always remember Peter Walker (founder) of Quad, saying,"There are those who put up with the music to listen to the equipment, and those who put up with the equipment to listen to the music". He was a gent and a genius.
    I remember you quoting him before and this sums up so many audiophiles and home cinema fans. I had a mate who was a huge home cinema fan but he literally watched the same movie over and over again to just appreciate the system rather than for loving cinema .

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very impressive.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I wonder how many of the people that are swearing that their old equipment sounds so fantastic have invested the time and money into having their gear serviced so that it functions as it should? Just like old watches, parts (capacitors, foam surrounds, etc.) degrade over time.
    It’s a fair point to make. My Musical Fidelity A1 is in need of a good service now. They were renowned for being temperamental 30 years ago when new. I just need to find the time to get it done.

The rest of the set up has had various components replaced at some point over the years. As someone else said many of the parts cost buttons to buy, so it’s mainly labour charges and shipping. I’d still rather pay for the repairs than replace with new stuff.

Craftsman
    Very impressive.

Thanks. Literally a lifetime of collecting. 42 now, remember buying my first at 13 from WH Smiths.

Thanks. Literally a lifetime of collecting. 42 now, remember buying my first at 13 from WH Smiths.

But how do you live with those pink walls?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    But how do you live with those pink walls?
    Ha. They are gone now. Photo is from a little while ago. The house was very plain and sober apart from this room with shocking pink walls and a white lightning strike too. (Was nicer than it sounds). Which kind of works as the decks/mixer etc. were in here as well. Now it's all beige...

Fell out of the habit of playing vinyl some years ago, having ripped my Cds to FLACs and playing them with Sonos throughout the house. Now I've just changed my living room setup to 5.1.2 with a new TV, I moved my stereo system to another room and have rediscovered vinyl. I only have a Project Debut with upgraded stylus and recently added cork mat (better than the thin felt!). I play it through some rebuilt 70s Bang and Olufsen speakers and a matching rosewood Peachtree Audio amp which hides a Sonos in its cavity.

I'm the opposite to you Paul, gone rosewood everywhere! Great you've rediscovered vinyl though and interested in your experience of the Monitor Audio Silver 200s, I went with Monitor Audio Bronze for my surround sound set up. Rosewood though...
    Last edited by mindforge; 26th February 2018 at 08:57.

I don't have the hi fi obsession some do, but it does seem amusing that people who will spend £10k on something to tell the time wonder at the sense in doing the same to listen to music

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 26th February 2018 at 12:05.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Having a browse round HMV over the weekend and couldn't believe the price of new vinyl records. £20, £25 £35!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Having a browse round HMV over the weekend and couldn't believe the price of new vinyl records. £20, £25 £35!!
    Yes but the quality is not that good unfortunately.

You get the best buys in well cared for pre mid 1970s stuff. After that the quality went down with thin Lps prone to warp. The current 180gsm looks good but the surface noise lets it down.

You will get best results for current music on CD.

I have 800 LPs and the same amount of CDs and I now buy very few.

I genuinely think the future now lies in streaming.

I can't imagine the weight of that collection! I hope it's ground floor. I remember being in the library room of Radio Tees which was reinforced with heavy girders to take the weight. Very impressive collection!

Very impressive.
    Blimey - I thought I had a few LPs, but it's probably about 3 of your cubby holes!

How often do you play them though? I know I've got albums I'd never play (assuming I had a TT up and running!), so you must have dozens like that!

M

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes but the quality is not that good unfortunately.

You get the best buys in well cared for pre mid 1970s stuff. After that the quality went down with thin Lps prone to warp. The current 180gsm looks good but the surface noise lets it down.

You will get best results for current music on CD.

I have 800 LPs and the same amount of CDs and I now buy very few.

I genuinely think the future now lies in streaming.
    That is not my experience of the new 180s. Bought a few recently. All excellent. Perhaps you need to clean your cartridge!👍😜

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    I popped into an HMV shop with wifey today and she said the same. However, when you scale up for inflation over the years the price of vinyl records is not dear, it just seems dear because we've all got used to CDs being so cheap.

in 1973/4 an album cost around £2.25-£2.50, a gallon of petrol was around 50p. Multiply both by 12 and you'll se what I mean.

Double albums were always around 1.5 x singles, so everything's about right. I`d be happier if records were cheaper but in all honesty I can`t say they're overpriced.

Shame the vinyl revival didn`t happen a few years earlier, it may have saved some of the HMV shops and smaller record shops. It's almost surreal, I can remember buying CDs to replace my vinyl records back in the early 90s and now the process is in danger of going into reverse.

As for the arguments over quality, I'm still not convinced that vinyl's giving me anything better than CD.....apart from the nostalgia and the tactile aspect of handling records etc. At some point my cartridge will get either a much better stylus or completely replaced, but that's as far down the upgrade path as I`m going. Just had a look at the price of a Goldring 1012 cartridge, that's the one I had 18 years ago and it got broken. I paid around £90 for mine, today it's £225! I`ll end up shelling a couple of hundred quid out but as my old mum used to say when I was a kid......'that's yer lot, that's all yer havin'!

I`ve done a lot of spending since Christmas, credit card bill arrived today and I sat down to open it! I`ve spent a fair bit on watchparts from ebay, I bought myself a watch last month plus a couple of fixer uppers, I need to get a few project watches sorted and sold..........expect at least one to hit SC over the next 3-4 weeks!

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some advice please

this is the first house I’ve had with a wooden floor, it’s quite springy.
    Even with a rug down and walking slowly the needle jumps.
    Is there any recommended way to isolate the deck at all?

Grand Master
    Some advice please

if you can, put the turntable on a sturdy level wall mounted shelf.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Some advice please

There are dedicated isolation platforms that are wall mounted .

Or buy a dedicated stand with spiked feet, drive a pozidrive screwthrough the carpet (won't show when you take it out) and rest the spiked feet of the stand on the screw head.

http://customdesign.co.uk/speaker-stand-speaker-stand-hifi-support-hifi-furniture-hifi-table-hifi-support-hifi-stand-hifi-equipment-support-hifi-stand-speaker-stand-hifi-stand-speaker-stand-hifi-support-studio-monitor-speaker-stand-hifi-stand-hifi-accessory-speaker-stand-hifi-tabl/speaker-stand-hifi-stand-speaker-stand-hifi-support-hifi-table-hifi-furniture-hifi-support-hifi-stand-hifi-turntable-wall-mount-speaker-stand-hifi-equipment-support-hifi-equipment-stand-hifi-equipment-table-hifi-furniture-hifi-isolation-hifi-table-hifi-is/HiFi-Furniture-HiFi-Table-HiFi-Support-HiFi-Stand-Speaker-Stands-Speaker-Stand-Supports-Turntable-Wall-Mount-Bracket-Isolation-(Acoustic)-Table-Support-Stand

Last edited by Rod; 26th February 2018 at 21:33.

Some advice please

There are dedicated isolation platforms that are wall mounted and spiked like this and work well

http://customdesign.co.uk/speaker-st...-Support-Stand