closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW M140i Exhuast Rattling

BMW M140i Exhuast Rattling

Hi guys just wanted to check with other M140i or M240i owners if they have a rattling noise coming from the exhaust.
    My M140i is only 4 months old with 3,500 miles and don’t think this is a normal state/sound an exhaust should be making on start up.

Please give me some feedback and options as BMW have given me a workshop date in 2 weeks time.
    Would love to attach the video of the rattle but I don’t know how to upload it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Our neighbour's BMW does the same when cold, bloody annoying it is as well.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Our neighbour's BMW does the same when cold, bloody annoying it is as well.

Terry
    Which model BMW? Surely the manufacturer warranty will cover this?....

Common fault exhaust valve rattle, mine stopped after a month or so and has yet not come back.

Have a google plenty of info and results getting it sorted under warranty.

Craftsman
    It's the M3, really rattles when cold but not so bad when warmed up. Something similar to this one at start up and idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQb9NskLH0

Terry

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It's the M3, really rattles when cold but not so bad when warmed up. Something similar to this one at start up and idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQb9NskLH0

Terry
    That’s the cold start procedure to bring the cats up to temp and is normal, I think the OP has a different problem.

Journeyman
    Are you sure the rattle is not from the heat reflecting shield touching the exaust?

Quote Originally Posted by vadiro View Post
    Are you sure the rattle is not from the heat reflecting shield touching the exaust?
    I honestly have no idea. If I knew how to post the video onto forum I would put it up to give example.

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    I honestly have no idea. If I knew how to post the video onto forum I would put it up to give example.

Quote Originally Posted by vadiro View Post
    Coincidental that you suggest this may be the issue. My Honda 1.8S has a metallic rattle when I'm idling. Rang Honda up and they said it probably was a loose heat shield. They said they would take it off and not replace it as it's too expensive to replace and not an item really needed. Going in on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Coincidental that you suggest this may be the issue. My Honda 1.8S has a metallic rattle when I'm idling. Rang Honda up and they said it probably was a loose heat shield. They said they would take it off and not replace it as it's too expensive to replace and not an item really needed. Going in on Tuesday.
    Didn’t need it but they added the cost onto the vehicle when you bought it. Funny how that works- I’d ask for some money back for that part! Hshaaa

How can a heat shield not be needed? Surely it’s there for a reason as opposed to a bit left over so they decided to screw it in?

I’d try another garage as the one you spoke to sound like the type of people who throw away the undertrays as it’s not needed!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    How can a heat shield not be needed? Surely it’s there for a reason as opposed to a bit left over so they decided to screw it in?

I’d try another garage as the one you spoke to sound like the type of people who throw away the undertrays as it’s not needed!
    The garage is Vertu Honda where it was bought. Reading some forums they say the same.. not needed unless you park on dry grass . I'll chat to the mechanics they have been excellent for servicing. I did think it may be a loose baffle in the rear exhaust box, but the exhaust note hasn't changed or no noise from it. I don't mind paying for a new one or ask if they can pop rivet it back on.

The garage is Vertu Honda where it was bought. Reading some forums they say the same.. not needed unless you park on dry grass . I'll chat to the mechanics they have been excellent for servicing. I did think it may be a loose baffle in the rear exhaust box, but the exhaust note hasn't changed or no noise from it. I don't mind paying for a new one or ask if they can pop rivet it back on.
    That’s reminded me of a story about a mini and a farm? I’m sure I read somewhere of a person living on a farm whose mini set fire to hay? Maybe I’m getting old

Master
    Blog Entries
    It might be simply the heat shield. Happens on too many cars these days with the terrible state of the country’s roads

Hi guys just wanted to check with other M140i or M240i owners if they have a rattling noise coming from the exhaust.
    My M140i is only 4 months old with 3,500 miles and don’t think this is a normal state/sound an exhaust should be making on start up.

Please give me some feedback and options as BMW have given me a workshop date in 2 weeks time.
    Would love to attach the video of the rattle but I don’t know how to upload it.

Cheers

Very common problem on the M140 and nothing to do with the cold start procedure.

Worth reading about on babybmw.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    It might be simply the heat shield. Happens on too many cars these days with the terrible state of the country’s roads
    Yes in Darlington, we don't drive but go potholing instead. I'm sure that's what's caused it.

The down falls of owning a nice car

Craftsman
    Are bmw all that had 4 all had warranty claims think,I’ve had my last.

Journeyman
    I got the same advice from two different garages but I refused. In the end I found out where it was touching and I bent it back. Normally it lasts for about half year before starting to rattle again.

Master
    Such is the complexity of the modern car that pretty much any manufacturer can have problems. Personally I have had warranty claims with Mercedes, Volvo, Jaguar, Audi, VW, Ford, Vauxhall, FIAT, Honda and even Toyota, in the past 45+ years of driving. The BMWs and 2 Citroens have been reasonably trouble-free for some reason, apart from BMW Minis which have had several crippling faults. (The "reliable" Toyota peed 5 litres of diesel down the side of the engine when the common-rail injector feed ruptured, in a petrol car that would probably have resulted in an inferno) (One of the Audis suffered complete powered-brake and steering failure at 60 miles an hour on a challenging road)

That is what the warranty is for - don't fret, just let the garage sort it, but don't be distracted by the usual "they all do that Sir - it's a feature".

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Such is the complexity of the modern car that pretty much any manufacturer can have problems. Personally I have had warranty claims with Mercedes, Volvo, Jaguar, Audi, VW, Ford, Vauxhall, FIAT, Honda and even Toyota, in the past 45+ years of driving. The BMWs and 2 Citroens have been reasonably trouble-free for some reason, apart from BMW Minis which have had several crippling faults. (The "reliable" Toyota peed 5 litres of diesel down the side of the engine when the common-rail injector feed ruptured, in a petrol car that would probably have resulted in an inferno) (One of the Audis suffered complete powered-brake and steering failure at 60 miles an hour on a challenging road)

That is what the warranty is for - don't fret, just let the garage sort it, but don't be distracted by the usual "they all do that Sir - it's a feature".
    Too right I will leave it to the garage and want it sorted- hence why I’ve paid the money for the car not to rattle.
    I’ve done some further googling and apparently it’s a valve flap that is a manufacturer fault with the M140’s and they only way to fix the rattle is to put on a M performance exhaust.

Would that be a win or would that be too loud?.....

Too right I will leave it to the garage and want it sorted- hence why I’ve paid the money for the car not to rattle.
    I’ve done some further googling and apparently it’s a valve flap that is a manufacturer fault with the M140’s and they only way to fix the rattle is to put on a M performance exhaust.

Would that be a win or would that be too loud?.....

I did mention it in the 4# post!

MPE on the M135i is nice and oy slightly louder in comfort but sounds so much better in sports.

I’m sure I’ve also read some dealers will give very decent price on the MPE owing to the rattling issue.

Tempted myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I did mention it in the 4# post!

MPE on the M135i is nice and oy slightly louder in comfort but sounds so much better in sports.
    Oh right sorry my mistake. I hope to get myself the MPE fitted but no doubt I’m going to have to go back and forth with them knowing my
    Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I’m sure I’ve also read some dealers will give very decent price on the MPE owing to the rattling issue.

Tempted myself.
    Do you have any further pricing on the said decent prices for the MPE exhaust option?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Sounds like a lawn mower!
    High priced lawn mower

Do you have any further pricing on the said decent prices for the MPE exhaust option?

Thanks

By looking at that post the situation may of changed but when I enquired about having them fit the MPE instead of a new stock exhaust with me paying the additional cost they said they couldn’t do that (but then my local dealer are not the best)

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    By looking at that post the situation may of changed but when I enquired about having them fit the MPE instead of a new stock exhaust with me paying the additional cost they said they couldn’t do that (but then my local dealer are not the best)
    Oh right- will bear that in mind for next week when taking my car in.

Thanks

Oh right- will bear that in mind for next week when taking my car in.

Thanks

As said the situation may have changed, but I do seem to remember someone on the babyBMW said they worked out a deal with the dealership to upgrade to the MPE!

Mine started when the car was 2/3months old and went after a couple of months and to date hasn’t come back, cars now just over two years old.