closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A dozen Grand Seikos

Master

A dozen Grand Seikos

Went to Andrew Michael's in Newark today. A very large selection of Breitlings. But in a cabinet behind a cabinet were a dozen or more Grand Seikos.

The assistant was very pleasant and happy to show me any or all of them.

It's the first time I've seen a Grand Seiko in the flesh and what they say about the finishing of the hands, indices and case is true. It's outstandingly good - the case work especially. The automatic cases are deep, though. 14mm?

Yes, they're on the thicker side for a premium brand

Seiko's modern day house style. At every price level, every watch seems a millimetre or two thicker than needs be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Seiko's modern day house style. At every price level, every watch seems a millimetre or two thicker than needs be.
    That's been my impression too. Not sure if the same applies to their quartz watches, though. Those are slim and sit beautifully comfortably on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    That's been my impression too. Not sure if the same applies to their quartz watches, though. Those are slim and sit beautifully comfortably on the wrist.
    Sorry, yes, you're right. Maybe that's the root of the problem: the modern GSs are a perfect design that had a 6.6mm auto movement squeezed in.

I was just googlinmg the SBGX259 and noticed a difference in prices:

US: $2,200
    UK: £2,350

I'm used to that with everything else - wasn't aware watches were an exception? Most things in the US are cheaper when doing a direct currency conversion. More often than not, the £ sign is just replaced with a $ sign. Makes personal import quite appealing, though often after import duty and VAT (I'm aware the former won't apply in this case) the benefit is negligible.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd February 2018 at 13:16.

$2,200 is £1,572

With 20% tax £1,886

Add on a little more for asking Timeless Luxury to send it o'er the ocean, and it's still worthy of the effort

$2,200 is £1,572

With 20% tax £1,886

Add on a little more for asking Timeless Luxury to send it o'er the ocean, and it's still worthy of the effort
    That is a very good saving. Any idea on GS warranty for imports, i.e. would it be covered for UK warranty work even though it'll have a US supplier?

Master
    I'll have to pay them a visit next time I go back to Newark. AMJ have always had an absolutely huge selection of Breitling. I remember being in there a few years ago and they let me try on a SPS005 Spacewalk. I thought £17k for a Seiko seemed a little <ahem> ambitious. The only one for sale I can find these days (think they only made 100) is $70k. Maybe £17k wasn't so silly after all!

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/spac...nfo/index.html

Journeyman

I'd noticed that too. Posted on another forum about it, asking why the UK price is so much more the the USA. Was told the USA price doesn't show any tax as it varies State to State

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    I'd noticed that too. Posted on another forum about it, asking why the UK price is so much more the the USA. Was told the USA price doesn't show any tax as it varies State to State
    That's true. The USA sales tax is based on State, Country, and Town level rates. It's generally between 6% and 10% of MSRP. However, if you buy out of state and have the item shipped you frequently don't need pay sales tax.

Banned
    Buy GS in Japan or get a friend/agent to do it for you. The UK price is absurd.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    Buy GS in Japan or get a friend/agent to do it for you. The UK price is absurd.
    When time permits I'll look at more Japanese watch sites.