closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Feeling the auto-winding mechanism

Feeling the auto-winding mechanism

So, I’ve had loads of auto watches, all with varying degrees of “feel” to the momentum of the auto-wind.... like the Valjoux 7750 that spins like mental in one direction; and ones with a clear sound..... really ratchety old seikos, etc. but I have an older Sub that you could barely feel a thing with, and hear nothing.

Recently, it’s started to make a feel, and I can hear it ratchet if it gets a good spin.... what’s going on?
    Older oils wearing thin?
    Service time?
    Or me just being a weirdo looking for problems that aren’t there?

No change of operation, hand-winds beautifully, timekeeping unchanged and well within COSC.... etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I’d get it looked at, if it was silent and now isn’t something has changed.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    The reversers are specially treated to stop oil getting on them, if it does they can make a buzzing sound/feeling on the wrist, that or they are just dirty.

When was it last serviced?

With the 7750 it does only wind in one direction as it uses one reverser, the movement in your sub uses two and it winds both ways.

I’m not a watchmaker (one may be along shortly, I assume), and it could well be a reverser issue as stated above, but another common problem with Rolex Subs is that they use a ‘post & sleeve’ type of rotor fixing, which has the benefits of winding more quietly & efficiently (as you noticed before) than the ball-bearing system used by ETA movements etc.

The downside is that if not adequately lubricated, or if the oils deteriorate with age, the post can start to wear, removing metal, which quite often allows the rotor to ‘droop’, and its edge to start rubbing the case back or outside edges of the movement as it turns.

It could be that rubbing noise you hear as a ratchet sound. An experienced watchmaker would be able to confirm by quickly popping the case back off.

It's something that wouldn’t necessarily adversely affect hand-winding feel, operation or accuracy for quite some time, but that I’d want sorted to prevent further damage. As well as marking the movement etc., it’s producing detritus to enter the workings.

Craftsman
    It's called an axle in Rolex movements, it should always be changed by default in a service. It's why I asked when it was last serviced. As you say, this can allow the rotor to hit the caseback or rub against the movement plates.

Nice info!

As i thought, service time (it's about 7 years). I'm mooching in London tomorrow, will pop it into St.James and wait for the bill :)