closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelagos Blue or Speedy. ?

Pelagos Blue or Speedy. ?

Hi. For insurance reasons (non watch related) I am now the proud owner of a credit for £3200 ish to be spent at goldsmiths or watched of. switzerland. The restrictions are - non Rolex and at RRP price.
    I’m not really a rrp on a watch kind of buy so I’m not quite as enthused as I might have been I have a limited timeframe to spend the voucher and would appreciate the advice of my favourite forum members.
    I have in my collection - panerai 88, Doxa searambler and pro; a couple of Anonimo’s , golden tuna , datejust bi metallic and waiting for my 50th next year a sub 1680 (birth year)

I am taken by the blue Pelagos but love the classic looks of the speedy pro. I don’t really have much cash to put to anything more expensive (such as a nice IWC).
    What’s would you advise under the circumstances?

Craftsman
    I have blue Pelagos and a Speedy, the Pelagos gets worn a lot more.
    It ticks all the boxes for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Speedy Pro. A classic.

Speedy Pro by a mile IMHO

They are so different, but Pelagos for me, although I’ve never had a Speedie.

Master
    Sounds like you have a few divers so Speedy would be my choice. Nice vintage feel, whereas Pelagos has much more modern appearance and proportions.

Speedy for me!

Speedmaster for me.

I've tried to get enthused about the Pelagos, but I can't.

I've got my Speedmaster on today and it's great.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I wear the Speedy more, but the Pelagos is much better built and a better all rounder
    It's just a matter of time...

Speedy all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Both dream watches for me, but if I had to choose it would have to be the more iconic Speedy.

Journeyman
    speedy, one of the most iconic watches of all time.

Speedy - although paying rrp would sting a bit.

Apprentice
    I tried a Pelagos on this week but it just doesn't sit on the wrist right, I think it's the depth. Speedy for me.

Blue Pelagos every day of the week. Brand new Speedies do nothing for me. Old ones, yes, but at least the new Pelagos is an homage to a classic (and at that titanium...) rather than just a shiny new replica of itself.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    I take it you couldn't sell the voucher in SC for 90% and then buy something elsewhere with less restrictions? Daft idea?

Master
    As you mention IWC, how about the pilot watch, mark eighteen. Lovely looking thing. £3600. Got an ETA movement, but a very precise one. For an extra couple of hundred pounds, worth considering.

Master
    Try them on and go for the one that you love and think you will keep.

They are very different watches. I never thought I would like the Pelagos until I took one in trade and now love it (I have black not blue). The standard speedy doesn’t really do it for me.

Responses on this thread are not surprising as they are popular on this forum and some people clearly prefer one over another, but it is down to personal taste

I would but the restrictions alone mean that it would more likely be 80%
    Quote Originally Posted by stubo View Post
    I take it you couldn't sell the voucher in SC for 90% and then buy something elsewhere with less restrictions? Daft idea?

Craftsman
    Speedy all the way

Banned
    Speedy of course.

Sorry that the conditions of your voucher are so restrictive. Does it say in your insurance policy that if you suffer some kind of loss, then it will be replaced by a limited timeframe voucher that can only be used to buy at RRP to buy certain items at certain shops? It all sounds a bit dictatorial. Are you happy with this?

Craftsman
    The Speedie gets my vote.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Speedy for me too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If you are planning on a sub then a speedmaster would make more sense. If you were not getting a sub then my preference would be pelagos. If the two it looks nicer to my eye and is a better watch from a technical (movement, power reserve, deployment clasp) perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    Speedy of course.

Sorry that the conditions of your voucher are so restrictive. Does it say in your insurance policy that if you suffer some kind of loss, then it will be replaced by a limited timeframe voucher that can only be used to buy at RRP to buy certain items at certain shops? It all sounds a bit dictatorial. Are you happy with this?
    I have not read the small print but I am assured that if the items lost can be replaced through the mighty buying power of Goldsmiths /hallmark (Arum group) then you get a voucher To be used against items in store only with no promotion , no sale , no second hand, no Airport store , no Rolex or no Patek either.
    The insurance company is Aviva !
    No, not happy at all. It seems like a win win for Goldsmiths / (watches of Switzerland)

The items lost were mainly vintage gold pieces with huge sentimental value. To be honest I just want to put a line under the experience and move on.

I would go for a Pelagos. Buying a Speedmaster without obtaining a significant discount doesn't seem a great idea to me.

Never really liked the Speedy so the Blue Pelagos would get my vote

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    It all sounds a bit dictatorial. Are you happy with this?
    Moving on from trying to wind up the forum in general to attempting to discomfort specific individuals: not merely a troll but a nasty one one, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    The items lost were mainly vintage gold pieces with huge sentimental value. To be honest I just want to put a line under the experience and move on.
    Really sorry to hear that. I hope you can get something nice that goes some small step towards compensating for your loss. All the best.

As you already have several diver watches, I'd say - speedy.

Banned
    I’ve owned both and the pelagos was my favourite . That blue is something special and the dial is so clean and legible too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If your getting a submariner for your 50th I’d get the Speedie. You’ve then got 2/3rds of a classic collection sorted.
    It’s all down to personal taste but I found the Pelagos austere and light . Which is probably a design element that others love. You do hear of people flipping them which might be some owners on the wrong side of the marmite divide trying to like them and then not bonding.
    Noticed a remark earlier about a Pelagos being far better built? Really not sure about that. A Speedie is actually a tough watch and the movement minus s rotor of course will go on for years.

As an outlier and seeing that you’ve had an unpleasant turn of events. Why not ring up Harrods and get your name on the list for the Harrods Black Bay . There’s no money requirement yet and no contract to complete so you could pass it over if not needed. Just thinking Speedie this year , Sub next year and lovely Blackbay in 2 years time.

Further thought 2019 is of course 50 years since moon landing so interest will peak on the Moonwatch. They are also easily flipped so an rrp Speedie might not be too much of a financial write off
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 22nd February 2018 at 09:19.

Journeyman
    I think the speedmaster would be the way to go.

I have to say that the whole voucher thing from insurance companies is ridiculous. Hope you can pick up something nice out and close the chapter well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Having had both in the past (3570.50 and a two-liner black), and looking to get one again, this isn't an easy choice.

It really depends on your preference. Do you need the complications of a chrono? Its more to service, more delicate (even though the Omega movement is robust as hell) and less water resistant.
    On the flip side, the Pelagos is taller and chunkier overall, and the surface scratches very easily. However this is easy to buff out and the titanium makes it very light.

I think for me the choice would be more Black Bay vs Speedmaster, but when I get an answer I'll let you know!

Craftsman
    Blue Pelagos for me.

It is the next one for my collection.

I have owned a black one and moved it on as I now have a seadweller.

But the blue on blue rubber to me looks like a great combination.

Pelagos for me.
    I am a real Lemania-phile but have never owned a Speedie pro, it just never really caught my imagination, they just seem too obvious an answer to me. Plus, the Pelagos can be worn for anything (I have a black ETA one).
    One other random thought, how about using it to pay for a an Oris Brashear LE chronograph (plus a tiny bit more - available in April apparently)?
    Good looking like the speedie, blue like the Pelagos, same size as both (roughly), and an LE to boot.
    Dave

Master
    Another vote for the Pelagos here too. Ive never got the whole Speedy thing, I've tried a few different models but they have never lasted more than a few weeks. However, I've had a Pelagos for about 4 years now.

As someone (may be more than one) has said, go try them both on.

The Speedmaster just works for me, but clearly not for others.

For me, it was quite the opposite, the pluses that some see for the Pelagos are negatives for me (the matt dial and bezel, for example, just look dull and cheap to my eye, regardless of the quality and while I generally love blue watches, I think the blue Pelagos is far worse in this respect than the black one!).

I really wanted to like the Pelagos as I really like the idea of having a titanium diver's watch, but it isn't the one for me.

In the end, only you can decide which one ticks the boxes for you, no matter how many of us vote one way or the other.

M

Speedy is my vote, very versatile and is any event friendly eg formal.

Alternatively consider selling the voucher at a reduced rate?

Ah, choices, choices! Both great watches, but so different that there is no right answer: try 'em both and ignore outside advice (except mine, of course!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    If your getting a submariner for your 50th I’d get the Speedie. You’ve then got 2/3rds of a classic collection sorted.
    Cheers Mark - what would be the missing 1/3 of the classic collection ?

A Patek maybe ?

Master
    Pilot / aviator or dress

Master
    I was thinking a classic dress Watch , solid gold no more than 36mm. But quite frankly as life becomes less formal in general I’d quite happily own Speedie / Sub / IWC Pilot

Craftsman
    The one with a rotating bezel, date, and adequate water resistance for a "take anywhere" watch.

Journeyman
    Pelagos LHD is a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I was thinking a classic dress Watch , solid gold no more than 36mm. But quite frankly as life becomes less formal in general I’d quite happily own Speedie / Sub / IWC Pilot
    you have got me thinking - what would be the holy trinity of watches .... that's a whole different thread though :-)

Master
    you have got me thinking - what would be the holy trinity of watches .... that's a whole different thread though :-)
    PP / AP / VC
    And there is a thread about it where one member posted about owning all three a couple of years ago

I know you said you didn't have much to add towards it but if you could stretch to 3600 the Tudor BB Chrono looks really nice and would be different enough to your upcoming Sub to work alongside?

Between those two Pelagos for me but you should really just try and look for yourself. Tudor wise I prefer black pelagos or blue black bay (darker blue)