closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eulit Perlon strap - sharp edges?

Eulit Perlon strap - sharp edges?

Evening all,

Recently purchased an Eulit Perlon, and was somewhat disappointed to find that it has some rather sharp edges where the nylon strap material has been melted. I figured given the £20 price point, it wouldn't have the same quality control issues that the ones that cost £1 with similar sharp edges from China.

Is this usual for an Eulit? And if so, any tips and tricks on softening the sharp edges? I've had a go with varying grits of sand paper and whilst the sharp part has been reduced, the hard melted section is actually what's irritating.

Hugh

It does happen, but bear in mind that until recently (last 2 years) Eulit ones were also £5, it is just that the demand has pushed the price up, so they are not inherently that much better than the cheapest.
    I have always smooshed the sharp edges down using a heated flat of metal, rather than an abrasive.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It does happen, but bear in mind that until recently (last 2 years) Eulit ones were also £5, it is just that the demand has pushed the price up, so they are not inherently that much better than the cheapest.
    I have always smooshed the sharp edges down using a heated flat of metal, rather than an abrasive.
    Dave
    Oh really! I had no idea about the price change. Makes sense, but disappointing to be on the receiving end of something not worth the hike (in my opinion).

I'll give your method a try, thank you Dave.

Which (modern) Eulit Perlon weave is it - Kristall, Panama or Palma? Modern Palma is usually fine, although I prefer the vintage Panama. I wrote a comparison here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...oto-Comparison

They are still relatively inexpensive from Yellys.

http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit-en.html

Is there a good perlon make that doesn't suffer these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Which (modern) Eulit Perlon weave is it - Kristall, Panama or Palma? Modern Palma is usually fine, although I prefer the vintage Panama. I wrote a comparison here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...oto-Comparison

They are still relatively inexpensive from Yellys.

http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit-en.html
    This one's a Palma. Before trying out the hot knife method suggested above I had one more crack with various ceramic sharpening stones, and it's now much improved. The solid block of melted nylon is slightly noticeable, but nothing like it was before, so mission successful now (I'd just hoped it wouldn't need any work to be comfy).

I did search the forum for Perlon threads before buying but somehow missed your linked one! I do recall reading somewhere your preference for the Panama weave, but my two criteria were thinness and Imperial Blue (or whatever this particularly striking shade is), and I could only find Panama and Palma Perlon for that shade, so went with the latter. Reading your linked thread above it looks like I got the wrong end of the stick given your finding of the thicker weave in the Palma vs. Panama (even if it was a vintage example of the latter!).

Yelly's looks like it'll be getting my custom! Cheers.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 22nd February 2018 at 03:27.

I always give the end a gentle rub with a nail file. So much so that it lightly frays at the end - it won’t unpick as it’s still sealed beyond that point. Should note this is an Eulit Krystall

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This one's a Palma. Before trying out the hot knife method suggested above I had one more crack with various ceramic sharpening stones, and it's now much improved. The solid block of melted nylon is slightly noticeable, but nothing like it was before, so mission successful now (I'd just hoped it wouldn't need any work to be comfy).

I did search the forum for Perlon threads before buying but somehow missed your linked one! I do recall reading somewhere your preference for the Panama weave, but my two criteria were thinness and Imperial Blue (or whatever this particularly striking shade is), and I could only find Panama and Palma Perlon for that shade, so went with the latter. Reading your linked thread above it looks like I got the wrong end of the stick given your finding of the thicker weave in the Palma vs. Panama (even if it was a vintage example of the latter!).

Yelly's looks like it'll be getting my custom! Cheers.
    Please feel free to add your findings to the thread.

I've got a few Eulit perlons and I don't remember a scratch one among them.

I've had scratchy ones from WatchObsession, but I don't think that was the perlon so much as the buckle.

I've also got a Da Luca perlon that came from Amazon, which was good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I've had scratchy ones from WatchObsession, but I don't think that was the perlon so much as the buckle.
    The WatchObessions perlons are pretty poor imho. Both the cheap buckle and the heat treated end make for a really uncomfortable wear. Off the back of the various recommendations on here, I'm definitely going to give the Eulit Palma a go.