closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone Question

iPhone Question

My wife's iPhone has run out of storage (it's full of photos). She uses iCloud. Is there any way to delete the photos from the phone, without them also being deleted from iCloud? She has a Windows laptop.

Master
    My mother ran out of space, I just pay 79p a month for 50gb for her, as wasn’t confident either way!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

iPhone Question

Check out Settings then Photos then Optimise iPhone Storage.

I said check it out, don’t do anything if you are not sure of the results, I don’t want to be blamed for deleting your photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optimising storage can be tricky, but as long as the phone backs up to the cloud regularly and you have a decent cloud storage plan it shouldn’t be a problem, I have thousands of photos in my cloud and space on the phone isn’t a issue, you can look at some setting or another to see what is taking up the space, it may be the apps or music for example.
    When optimised to cloud, the photos on the phone are just thumbnails I think, when you want to view them then they are pulled from the cloud.
    Last edited by JasonM; 21st February 2018 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    My mother ran out of space, I just pay 79p a month for 50gb for her, as wasn’t confident either way!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I couldn't find an obvious way to do it either so I do the same for mine and Mrs Mint's phone.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Do you pay the 75p per month for the increased storage? If not I would advise it.
    Also,if you do the following it will help:

settings
    <your name> incl Apple ID,iCloud,iTunes & app store
    icloud
    photos
    -icloud photo library -turn on if it's not already*
    -optimise iPhone storage - turn it on*

* i would reiterate the option to pay the 75p per month for the upgraded storage,especially if the phone tends to fill up rapidly with photos

I move them from the phone to a laptop / external hard drive and then delete in the phone

Got a question for the masses.

So let's just say that I've got a 16gb iPhone and I purchase the 79p a month 50gb iCloud storage.

Ive got loads of space free in my iCloud however my iPhone becomes full. So I do a backup via wifi and upload all of my latest data to iCloud. I then delete a load of photos on my iPhone and gain some space back. If I were to back up again I'm assuming it would back up my iCloud with only the photos that were now on my iPhone thus losing the original ones in iCloud?

Icloud and back up confuses me, I'm worried if I were to back up all my photos and then deleted them from my phone, I would lose all of them when the phone backed up again in the cloud.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 21st February 2018 at 19:45.

If you value the pictures you have on your phone, or any pictures stored anywhere for that matter, buy 2 or 3 1TB or 2TB external drives and get them off the phone and/or PC, and get them duplicated/triplicated.
    F.T.F.A.

Google photos is a great app for storage .. and free

Allow it to 'background refresh' and it'll keep your photos stored without the need for them to be on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Google photos is a great app for storage .. and free

Allow it to 'background refresh' and it'll keep your photos stored without the need for them to be on the phone
    This is what I do. Install the App and when the Photos have been uploaded to Google Photos they can be deleted from the Phone itself.

Master
    Yep Google photos for me too.

Unlimited storage for 'high resolution' images or 15gb free for full resolution.

This was also brilliant when I changed from iPhone to a Samsung. Logged into Google and all my pictures were there

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    I move them from the phone to a laptop / external hard drive and then delete in the phone
    This is what I do. I've never had enough faith in the cloud to trust it with all my family photos.

Back up to the Mac, then Time Machine to the external hard drive so they're stored in two places if one goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

So let's just say that I've got a 16gb iPhone and I purchase the 79p a month 50gb iCloud storage.

Ive got loads of space free in my iCloud however my iPhone becomes full. So I do a backup via wifi and upload all of my latest data to iCloud. I then delete a load of photos on my iPhone and gain some space back. If I were to back up again I'm assuming it would back up my iCloud with only the photos that were now on my iPhone thus losing the original ones in iCloud?

Icloud and back up confuses me, I'm worried if I were to back up all my photos and then deleted them from my phone, I would lose all of them when the phone backed up again in the cloud.

As I understand it, iCloud doesn't work how you expect a cloud to work. It syncs your Apple devices so they all have the same stuff - if you delete it from the phone, it gets deleted from iCloud.

Update for my original question - I got her the 79p per month upgrade, which freed up a load of space on the phone. Thanks all who replied. I'll now look at the options of getting the pictures somewhere safe (e.g. out of the Apple ecosystem).

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

By default iCloud backups do not include photos. The only exception to this is if you do not enable iCloud Photo Library. In this case, the photos are stored in the Camera Roll (DCIM folder) on the iPhone and backed up.

If you enable the iCloud Photo Library, photos sync to iCloud which becomes the master and can hold as many photos as you have storage for, in your case 50GB. Your phone can be setup to have original photos or optimised photos on it. With a small phone, the Optimise iPhone Storage option saves original photos to iCloud and keeps a lower resolution version on the phone. In some cases where storage is tight, the phone will just have thumbnails of the photo on it. When you want to look at a larger version of the photo, it will download from iCloud.

I pay for the 1TB iCloud option and have 35000+ photos on it. My iPad and iPhone are both set to optimise storage. My MacBoook Is set to download originals.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 22nd February 2018 at 08:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    As I understand it, iCloud doesn't work how you expect a cloud to work. It syncs your Apple devices so they all have the same stuff - if you delete it from the phone, it gets deleted from iCloud.

Update for my original question - I got her the 79p per month upgrade, which freed up a load of space on the phone. Thanks all who replied. I'll now look at the options of getting the pictures somewhere safe (e.g. out of the Apple ecosystem).
    The only truly safe way to store photos is if you have cloud storage and external hard drives (preferably set up in RAID1 so that the date is replicated across a couple of drives if one fails).

To be honest though, if you have it backed up to iCloud, it is incredibly unlikely that you'd ever lose the data - an external hard drive is much more likely to fail that for Apple to delete all of your data.

If you have the "Optimise iPhone Storage" option checked you don't need to delete images / videos from the Photos app, they are automatically uploaded to iCloud and the original deleted from your phone. The photos app retains a thumbnail version of the image/video which if you open prompts the phone to download from the cloud so you can view it in full resolution.

I've got 200GB iCloud which is set up for family sharing so it backs up my iPhone, my Macbook Pro + my wife's iPhone and Macbook.