closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers and Roundabouts....... arrrgh

Master

Drivers and Roundabouts....... arrrgh

Why is it that drivers suddenly lose the ability to drive when entering roundabouts...... I know driving standards generally are crapper than crap..... but its getting worse

I frequently use the M60 and everyday...... yes everyday whether on my bike or in my car.... I get cut up by drivers in cars who are in the wrong lane.... and can't negotiate a simple roundabout

How difficult is it to stay in your own lane??

Sorry...... Rant over......

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Why is it that drivers suddenly lose the ability to drive when entering roundabouts...... I know driving standards generally are crapper than crap..... but its getting worse

I frequently use the M60 and everyday...... yes everyday whether on my bike or in my car.... I get cut up by drivers in cars who are in the wrong lane.... and can't negotiate a simple roundabout

Mike
    Try driving the Hanger Lane gyratory daily. You get pretty pretty good at defensive avoidance of other cars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Try driving the Hanger Lane gyratory daily. You get pretty pretty good at defensive avoidance of other cars.
    I'm not familiar with that junction but it even sounds bad !

Agreed, plus why do some people not even bother to indicate? It's not hard is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Agreed, plus why do some people not even bother to indicate? It's not hard is it?
    I think its either that they can't be arsed..... because they are lazy and couldn't give a toss..... or haven't even considered it.......

Master
    And on that very topic.......

Why is it the people that who do consider using their indicator; do so at the very last minute as if its an after thought..... and that they won't make the turn unless its flashing.... and might crash...

The roundabout by us has feeder lanes all the way round so cars can smoothly travel from right to left at every entry point. Total waste of time as people still weave and dive all over the place.

I think it's more to do with selfishness - I've got to get somewhere so screw everyone else mentality.

I got carved up by an old boy on a roundabout last week.
    The clue was his hugely variable speed, up and down between 45 and 60, for no reason.
    Due to a continuous flow of traffic in the opposite direction, I was unable to do the safest thing, overtake him and get him behind me.
    At the roundabout he was going straight on, and I was going right. However, his standard of driving suggested not to use both lanes on the roundabout. Good job that I didn’t, as he just drove straight through, and would have clearly taken me out if I’d not held back, and driven the road normally.
    Felt sorry for the huge queue of traffic that was left behind him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I got carved up by an old boy on a roundabout last week.
    The clue was his hugely variable speed, up and down between 45 and 60, for no reason.
    Due to a continuous flow of traffic in the opposite direction, I was unable to do the safest thing, overtake him and get him behind me.
    At the roundabout he was going straight on, and I was going right. However, his standard of driving suggested not to use both lanes on the roundabout. Good job that I didn’t, as he just drove straight through, and would have clearly taken me out if I’d not held back, and driven the road normally.
    Felt sorry for the huge queue of traffic that was left behind him.
    Andrew..... Its no better down here mate.....

I spend a lot of time driving and the scary thing is that I see this many times a day - everyday - and peoples lives are genuinely at risk and the drivers just carry on oblivious to it all and the trail of misery left behind them....

So frustrating.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The roundabout by us has feeder lanes all the way round so cars can smoothly travel from right to left at every entry point. Total waste of time as people still weave and dive all over the place.

I think it's more to do with selfishness - I've got to get somewhere so screw everyone else mentality.
    I agree.... I genuinely find that most people who are responsible for the above are selfish and clearly they or their journey are far more important than everybody else's.......

We've all seen it...... the people that 'push in' after ignoring lines of standing traffic despite signs indicating road narrowing ahead.....

or

The ones that use the right hand turn only lane..... to carry on straight ahead..... because its quicker....

I could go on and on......

Master
    Ahhhh Hanger Lane, a true joy indeed. I often stay in the Crowne Plaza hotel there and all you can hear is a constant barrage of car horns sounding.

Blog Entries
    Just love the people who speed up suddenly to catch you out.

I'm not sure that driving standards are getting worse. I've only been driving 8 years but haven't noticed any discernible worsening in standards.

I imagine for those who have been on the roads for 30+ years the perceived worsening is just due to the huge increase in the number of people on the already very limited road space. Not only does it make driving more difficult but it also means one is far more likely to see poor driving (and the effect of poor driving is multiplied when it's busy) as there are just more potential cars to be driven poorly.

I was undertaken on a roundabout recently. I was in the outer lane correctly going straight ahead and this van sped past me on the inside also going straight on narrowly missing me.
    I was watching Police Interceptors on TV and the very same van was stopped for suspected drug driving (I had him on Dashcam, same reg. no.) I thought 'Yes!'
    Driving standards are very poor these days and I'm afraid to say Audi, Corsa, and Seats are the worst from what I see. Sometimes I wish I was still in the job on road traffic!
    I'm not sure these Interceptor Police on TV is a good thing as they seem to encourage youths to take them on for the 'Badge of Honour'. Lot of them get off very lightly.

Master
    Where we live there seems to have been a concerted effort by the local council to put arrows on the feeder roads to all of the roundabouts telling people which lanes they should use. I assume this is because the typical modern driver finds it impossible to think for themselves and choose the correct lane depending upon where they plan to exit. ISTR there were some public information films back in the 70's telling people how to use roundabouts; perhaps they need to rerun them in advert breaks around the various 'celebrity does something' TV rubbish and try to educate the proles on how to drive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Where we live there seems to have been a concerted effort by the local council to put arrows on the feeder roads to all of the roundabouts telling people which lanes they should use. I assume this is because the typical modern driver finds it impossible to think for themselves and choose the correct lane depending upon where they plan to exit. ISTR there were some public information films back in the 70's telling people how to use roundabouts; perhaps they need to rerun them in advert breaks around the various 'celebrity does something' TV rubbish and try to educate the proles on how to drive.
    I think every little helps....even if it means spoon feeding people about driving standards.

Public information ads were great.... All about safety when swimming and crossing roads... Bring them back I say.... " meet Mike... He swims like a fish" one for the older ones on here....

I've just been sat watching a woman trying to parallel Park her car into a space that was easily twice the length of her car. She must have had about 7 or 8 attempts backwards and forwards. I had to look away as it was embarrassing.....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Amazed by the number of drivers these days who don't bother to look ahead and read the traffic upon approaching a roundabout. Instead they prefer to stop, then look right when there is no traffic!! Twats.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Common one that irks me on roundabout I use regularly is with 2 exits and 2 lanes most drivers taking 2nd exit use left lane because, physically, it is 'straight ahead'. No common sense.

We have a roundabout with traffic lights near home and I've noticed a positive epidemic of vehicles nipping through after the lights have turned red.

You can bank on the fact that once your light turns green there'll still be some idiot(s) steaming through in front of you!

This isn't just restricted to lights on roundabouts obviously, it seems to be happening everywhere these days.

Lane discipline and common sense seem to be abandoned by a vast number of drivers.

Grand Tour mentioned the new roundabouts on the A40 at Oxford. A complete farce that did nothing to improve the flow or lane discipline. 18 months of roadworks, up to 20 blokes "working" 6 hours a day, and at a cost of £9 million. Not even throwing money at the problem cures it (like it would).

Ten years ago and more Doncaster built a big new bridge over the Don and closed the old one except to buses and taxis. Fine. Except that the main feeder road is four lanes leading to three on the roundabout. I loathe it so much I travel an extra six or seven miles to avoid it. Oddly, the the other direction is fine.
    Now they've opened the old bridge again...

Where would any of you say are excellent examples of first rate road planning?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Ten years ago and more Doncaster built a big new bridge over the Don and closed the old one except to buses and taxis. Fine. Except that the main feeder road is four lanes leading to three on the roundabout. I loathe it so much I travel an extra six or seven miles to avoid it. Oddly, the the other direction is fine.
    Now they've opened the old bridge again...

Where would any of you say are excellent examples of first rate road planning?
    I think we'll be waiting a while for an answer to that one.... :)

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post

Mike
    The chances are that they say the same thing about you. I don't think that drivers are any worse today,the driving test is miles tougher than it used to be and most of us lot (over 40) would fail it miserably if we were tested today. The problem is that we have a record number of cars driving on roads that were designed a long time ago. Roundabouts are an accident waiting to happen. They act as bottlenecks with too many cars shunting around and having to switch lanes in order to get in and out. It's simply a case of too many cars squeezed into not enough road. It is easy to blame the motorist who sometimes get unfairly criticised.
    Last edited by Mick P; 21st February 2018 at 11:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The chances are that they say the same thing about you. I don't think that drivers are any worse today,the driving test is miles tougher than it used to be and most of us lot (over 40) would fail it miserably if we were tested today. The problem is that we have a record number of cars driving on roads that were designed a long time ago. Roundabouts are an accident waiting to happen. They act as bottlenecks with too many cars shunting around and having to switch lanes in order to get in and out. It is easy to blame the motorist who sometimes get unfairly criticised.
    Sorry Mick but I beg to differ..... the fact that the roads are busier than ever is even more reason for people to raise the standard of driving.

I appreciate that certain road features don't help..... but I stand by my comment about driving standards.

I spend best part of my day on the roads and believe me - Manchester is a shocker..... I have a library of 'incidents' caught on camera..... some beggar belief....

Mike

I maintain that if you buy a 2nd hand car in the Borders - at least you will know that the indicators aren't worn out............

Drivers steaming into the roundabout because their route is straight ahead and requires (traffic allowing) no slowing down. They sure get pissed off when I pull out from the first road when they are still 50yds from the roundabout.

Drivers who cut across the right lane on the roundabout - because it is shorter, completely unaware that there is anyone on their rear-right quarter, who they are cutting off.

I'd rather people not indicate then indicate wrong. When cycling I look out for indication, but mostly on roundabouts people either leave the signal on, indicating that they're continuing round the roundabout, then don't. Which is epically dangerous if you're about to pull-out on a bike. Or the indicate to early signalling for a exit they don't take, again stupid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd rather people not indicate then indicate wrong. When cycling I look out for indication, but mostly on roundabouts people either leave the signal on, indicating that they're continuing round the roundabout, then don't. Which is epically dangerous if you're about to pull-out on a bike. Or the indicate to early signalling for a exit they don't take, again stupid.
    Agreed.... I rarely trust anybody indicating..... especially if they are signalling to enter the road junction that I am exiting...... too many times drivers just carry on straight ahead because they forgot to cancel indicators etc.....

Indicating is welcomed if done correctly and in advance.....

I think people sometimes drivers forget that they are 'signalling their intentions to do something' and NOT doing it as they move......

Mike
    Last edited by sweetpea; 21st February 2018 at 11:32.

Grand Master
    I start work at 5am,on my way to work I'm on a long stretch of road where traffic in both directions can clearly be seen,on occasion a car a 1/4 mile ahead will indicate he's turning,who he was letting know I have no idea!,because no one was there,so YES indicate if by not it may cause confusion,but to simply indicate when no one is there is plain stupid!.

Pop by Bradford and see how many of the young Asians drive!,most law abiding drivers will wait in line at that junction or lights as you should,they drive thru the lights......oh yes believe me they do!,and drive past every car to the front.....oh yes they do,I see this every teatime going to pick the wife up from work......everyday.

Theres a mini roundabout near me that isn't physical, just a white circle of the road, the other evening there were 3 cars at the head of 3 approaches that wouldn't move as non of them was sure who had right of way to the other, much beeping of horns ensued until one of them made a decision to go.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I start work at 5am,on my way to work I'm on a long stretch of road where traffic in both directions can clearly be seen,on occasion a car a 1/4 mile ahead will indicate he's turning,who he was letting know I have no idea!,because no one was there,so YES indicate if by not it may cause confusion,but to simply indicate when no one is there is plain stupid!.
    ISTR when I did the advanced driving course (heck more years ago than I can remember now) ISTR that indicating unnecessarily was a clear indication that your weren't paying proper attention to the road and other road users and therefore a demerit.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Theres a mini roundabout near me that isn't physical, just a white circle of the road, the other evening there were 3 cars at the head of 3 approaches that wouldn't move as non of them was sure who had right of way to the other, much beeping of horns ensued until one of them made a decision to go.
    The driver that proceeds into the roundabout determines what happens in terms of right of way.

You whingers are probably best off not coming to Malta. Our driving is quite unscientific. I find I have to code-switch my driving style between Britain and Malta. But that said, in SE London where I spend a fair bit of time the general standards have plummeted over the years. But I do wonder where exactly some of the drivers there passed their tests.

Just for clarity... When I suggested indicating should be done at RAB's; I did mean as per what is set out within the Highway Code and not some random misleading signalling. There is clear guidance within the Highway Code so its just abiding by the proper rules of the road which is helpful and courteous to other road users (agreed if no one is about it does not matter, but its still not a bad habit to get into anyway). Again, it's not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    You whingers are probably best off not coming to Malta. Our driving is quite unscientific. I find I have to code-switch my driving style between Britain and Malta. But that said, in SE London where I spend a fair bit of time the general standards have plummeted over the years. But I do wonder where exactly some of the drivers there passed their tests.
    You should try Indonesia!

I imagine it's like India (from the videos I've seen of India), but with total acceptance of the chaos - I don't think I heard a horn once!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

mini roundabouts are a major pet hate of mine. When you arrive up to one it's like a mexican standoff.

Nobody indicates these days; you need a bloody crystal ball to know where most are going on a roundabout. Howe Green just off the A12 is a prime example of death race 2018!

Craftsman
    About 18 months ago trying to enter on to a roundabout nearby. I was in the centre lane waiting to enter and as I pulled to the center lane on the roundabout the lady in the car to my right decided she wanted the same lane. She dragged right down the side of my car. She told the police she was going for the 5th exit and the officer told her she should have went fully on to the roundabout and not the center lane where I was.

Her insurance company declined responsibility and my car was sorted through my own insurance with a promise that they would get back my deductible from her insurance. Never got my money back, my insurance company said the other company was too big to take on and it was not worth it financially.

Unfortunately roundabout etiquette is not really taught in driving lessons, so it's a free for all each time you encounter one.

Craftsman
    Sadly indicating is a dying art that has all but vanished. (Along with gentle and mildly offensive sexist jokes.)
    I see it as a purely selfish and arrogant act. People drive on to the roundabout and then deem it theirs until they decide to leave. With no consideration for those waiting.
    People who turn left without indicating often incite me to blast my horn and gesture wildly at them as they go on their merry way leaving me looking to my right, sat stationary for no reason. The few that do spot me look at me perplexed. Still oblivious to their wrong doing.

Its mad isn't it, I often see people who find themselves in the wrong lane carve up from the outside to the inside causing mayhem rather than simply going round the roundabout and taking their exit safely.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I see your Malta and raise you a Colombia.

Lots of talk about indicating, so what do people here think is the correct way to indicate when using a roundabout?

I was advised to drive in the shade when in Malta, and the whole ‘give way when ON’ the roundabout takes a bit of getting used to.

As a comparison, our airport transfer in Phuket was very “Grand Theft Auto”.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Apparently the worst hypocrites on the road in Ireland and the UK are...... hangs head in shame.

https://amp.independent.ie/life/moto...-36623910.html

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Lots of talk about indicating, so what do people here think is the correct way to indicate when using a roundabout?
    only indicate when exiting

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Only indicate prior to entering the roundabout if you are taking the most extreme left or extreme right, never in-between, regardless of layout. Never indicate to exit a roundabout before you have completely cleared the exit before the one which you will be taking.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    only indicate when exiting
    That's what I was taught and do, but seems these days you should indicate right if you are going to take the 3rd exit (if there is one) and then indicate left.

Problem is so many people indicate right even if they are taking the 2nd exit i.e. going straight ahead and then don't indicate that they are then turning off
    or still have their right hand indicator going when they do turn off you don't have a clue where any one is actually going.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Amazed by the number of drivers these days who don't bother to look ahead and read the traffic upon approaching a roundabout. Instead they prefer to stop, then look right when there is no traffic!! Twats.

Many roundabouts now have the "left directional arrow signage" blocking the view of incoming traffic.

Also, if you don't stop on the lines at a junction in Spain, regardless of no oncoming traffic you'll get a ticket and instant fine from the police who'll be hiding and waiting for just such misdemeanors.

Master
    Finished a contract in St Albans recently, traffic lights seem optional, as does indicating on a roundabout. Combine that with 5 exits and large enough roundabouts without traffic lights and the speed people are travelling is high.

Particular daily favourite on the M25 is the last minute dash across 4 lanes to exit at the junction. Not that the 1 mile and 0.5 mile signposts were not warning enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A roundabout near us with 22 sets of traffic lights and 10 exit and entry junctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its like flying the millennium falcon through an asteroid field, just slight more dangerous