closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drivers and Roundabouts....... arrrgh

Master
    They've just completed a long section of the Northern Distributor Road around Norwich complete with dual carriageways and roundabouts (with 2 lanes!). The old Norfolk boyz "be confoosed"! Some have tried driving straight over the top!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Where would any of you say are excellent examples of first rate road planning?

In my previous life I regularly had to contend with the Russian roulette of the Hanger Lane Gyratory, the Target Roundabout and the Shepherd and Flock roundabout.

I'm glad that I don't have to go to any of those places any more. Wembley, Harrow, Park Royal and North (pronounced "Nawf") Acton are just unpleasant and thankfully distant memories.

Jason: the answer to the question of who has right of way in a Mexican stand-off situation at a mini roundabout is that the person driving the most expensive car always has right of way, as they can probably afford the best lawyer.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I used to do the Arc de Triomphe roundabout and down the Champs Elysees every day on a scooter. Now that really was an experience. Very much a case of being brave and just going for it. UK driving seems to be heading that way!

Master
    I frequently use the M60
    Here's one for you, M60 anti clockwise from the Trafford Centre to Stockport, some pratt in the middle lane sees a 'Possible queue ahead' sign with an advisory speed limit of 40 mph.
    No visible queue for a good mile. Car slows to 40mph immediately and creates a queue of his own backing up behind him/her.
    Pratt.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Here's one for you, M60 anti clockwise from the Trafford Centre to Stockport, some pratt in the middle lane sees a 'Possible queue ahead' sign with an advisory speed limit of 40 mph.
    No visible queue for a good mile. Car slows to 40mph immediately and creates a queue of his own backing up behind him/her.
    Pratt.
    M25 every day, then every so often someone drives into him

Craftsman
    It's not just roundabouts, it's everywhere.

The standard driving I see every day is getting worse and worse.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Pratt.
    Ha ha.... I see that most days all round the M60...great use of common sense...... just in his own little bubble......

Mike

Cool Straight-lined it a thousand times

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

Haha. Swindon's own Magic Roundabout.
    You can always tell someone from out of town, who are encountering it for the first time; they just sit there scratching their head in bewilderment.
    I cross it a least once a day, taking all exits except one (which is now a dead end). Usually straight-line it, without stopping - apart from peak times.

Master
    Swinemore lane outside beverley. 42 sets of lights on one roundabout!!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/68...traffic-lights

After about a dozen times using it you finally figure it out. How visitors cope I've no idea.

Un********believable!

Master
    I regularly have to suffer the Milton Keynes roundabouts at kicking out times, it’s no fun when your in an artic and need a bit more room than people are prepared to let you. The speed can be an issue when your trying to get out fully loaded and don’t accelerate as fast a people want you to. It makes my weekly trips into Park Royal a pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hanger Lane.

* shudder*

The problem is that there are two ways of navigating it, and in rush hour it can affect how long you're on it. The first is to use the correct lanes and move through with clear indication.

The second is to pick the clearest lane and boot it through each section before pulling into the lane you want at the last minute.

Most people seem to go with option one. But there are enough choosing option two to make the whole thing a risky undertaking.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 22nd February 2018 at 08:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Haha. Swindon's own Magic Roundabout.
    You can always tell someone from out of town, who are encountering it for the first time; they just sit there scratching their head in bewilderment.
    I cross it a least once a day, taking all exits except one (which is now a dead end). Usually straight-line it, without stopping - apart from peak times.
    Whoa.... that looks scary.... made me laugh to see that there were spectators turning up to watch......

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Straight line, you big girl; try this!

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/mad-mi...undabout-video

Not been to the magic roundabout for years, so imagine I will sit patiently like an outsider again should I ever return there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I start work at 5am,on my way to work I'm on a long stretch of road where traffic in both directions can clearly be seen,on occasion a car a 1/4 mile ahead will indicate he's turning,who he was letting know I have no idea!,because no one was there,so YES indicate if by not it may cause confusion,but to simply indicate when no one is there is plain stupid!.
    Are you saying the person should first check whether someone is nearby and only then indicate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Are you saying the person should first check whether someone is nearby and only then indicate?
    Mirror, signal, manoeuvre - would suggest the check.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The roundabout by us has feeder lanes all the way round so cars can smoothly travel from right to left at every entry point. Total waste of time as people still weave and dive all over the place.

I think it's more to do with selfishness - I've got to get somewhere so screw everyone else mentality.
    Same here, large roundabout off j10 M20, if you track following your lane (as you should) every time some numpty will just come into your lane. The worst bit is when they honk at you for them wandering into your lane! I’d ban half the drivers on the road if I could! Trouble is most people just don’t look around them and aren’t aware of their surroundings, they just think if they’re in front they can wander where they like.

There’s also another roundabout here where it seems some unwritten rule that turning right you can be in the left lane and cruise all the way round the roundabout in the left lane! Drives me nuts to the point I want to make road signs saying “turning right, get in the RIGHT lane”. I try and make a point of indicating right and going round next to them and indicating left but you then get abuse for driving correctly.

Don’t get me started on inconsiderate parking either!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post

The reason why the preferred routine is see if there is anyone there that needs to know that you are manoeuvring and only then indicate if needed, is it stops you falling into the habit of simply signal and then move. ISTR this is why it's encouraged by the AIM; it makes you THINK.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Same here, large roundabout off j10 M20, if you track following your lane (as you should) every time some numpty will just come into your lane. The worst bit is when they honk at you for them wandering into your lane! I’d ban half the drivers on the road if I could! Trouble is most people just don’t look around them and aren’t aware of their surroundings, they just think if they’re in front they can wander where they like.
    There is no denying that there are some proper numpties at the wheel around here but to be fair this roundabout has several lanes merging (if you know the roundabout) and one very counterintuitive (if you don’t); I mean the outside lane across the bridge that can go to the WH hospital, or continue round to go to Tesco.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Not easy on large roundabouts, often with traffic lights, where you have to change lanes throughout. Difficult when busy and have to 'push in'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My pet hate is indicators or lack of use of. We ought to be able to flog these people who do not know what they do

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My pet hate is indicators or lack of use of. We ought to be able to flog these people who do not know what they do
    Definitely don’t come to Malta. We have great fun with tourists in hire cars who display “anal driver syndrome”.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The reason why the preferred routine is see if there is anyone there that needs to know that you are manoeuvring and only then indicate if needed, is it stops you falling into the habit of simply signal and then move. ISTR this is why it's encouraged by the AIM; it makes you THINK.
    Interesting! I didn't think of that

Grand Master
    Many roundabouts and traffic islands etc are so complex thesedays, unless you’re familiar with them you’re going to struggle to work out exactly where you need to be. If it’s raining and dark the road markings are nigh- on impossible to read, that’s not a problem for the regular users but it makes life even harder for a stranger.

Does anyone consider this when ranting and criticising?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Apparently the worst hypocrites on the road in Ireland and the UK are...... hangs head in shame.

https://amp.independent.ie/life/moto...-36623910.html
    The standard of driving in Ireland is terrible. 3 lane motorway, nothing on it and you will be guaranteed to come across someone doing 50 in the outside lane with no one near them. At traffic lights you will always get cars going through when their light has been red for up to 5 seconds. It’s the same at pedestrian lights and the majority of cyclists are worse again when it comes to lights.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Agreed, plus why do some people not even bother to indicate? It's not hard is it?
    Buying a:

• BMW
    • Audi
    • White Van
    • White Range Rover

You automatically get the privilege (or maybe are just born with the sh*tty attitude) that you do not need to function as part of society and can be a total bellend, endangering the lives of others and yourself... We can only hope Darwinism runs its course and these people are exterminated through their own actions without injuring others.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Buying a:

• BMW
    • Audi
    • White Van
    • White Range Rover

You automatically get the privilege (or maybe are just born with the sh*tty attitude) that you do not need to function as part of society and can be a total bellend, endangering the lives of others and yourself... We can only hope Darwinism runs its course and these people are exterminated through their own actions without injuring others.
    5. Being Maltese (and quite possibly one of several other species of Southern European) and having better things to do than be anal?

You should live near me! I'm pretty sure Dick Dastardly is doing the road designs; some of the roundabouts are so confusing and convoluted I'm surprised there aren't more crashes.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    only indicate when exiting
    http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/chang...or-roundabouts

Try this for roundabout problems -

American tourists having never seen a roundabout before, tell them to drive on the left but then give them a left hand drive car - throw drink driving ( compulsory here ) into the mix and and a generous portion of jitney drivers in old Toyota Corollas and no insurance or clue how to drive .

I regularly see cars on wrong side of road and have seen tourists do U-turn at a roundabout but without going around the roundabout- yes that means turning into the traffic coming round rather than going all the way round .

I used to drive round Hyde Park corner and the Elephant before there were any traffic lights.

It was every man for himself and cabs everywhere!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Definitely don’t come to Malta. We have great fun with tourists in hire cars who display “anal driver syndrome”.
    I've always found driving in Malta very pleasant and I've been all over the island - quite rustic except those awful surfaces that make everyone's tyres squeal so you feel like you are in a Hollywood film.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Amazed by the number of drivers these days who don't bother to look ahead and read the traffic upon approaching a roundabout. Instead they prefer to stop, then look right when there is no traffic!! Twats.

^^This^^

I am glad it’s not just me 👍

Master
    Thankyou all for the inputs I've read some very amusing comments and lots I can relate to......

I certainly don't see things improving anytime soon

Stay safe out there.....

Mike