• Blue Titanium 45mm FF

5 6.41%
  • 40mm Mil-SPec

52 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifty Fathoms SS VS TI VS Mil-Spec

Master

Fifty Fathoms SS VS TI VS Mil-Spec

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase one of these and was wondering which one I should go for.

The standard 45mm Fifty Fathoms is the classic black one. Quite large, wears abit like a Panerai but short lugs help.

The Titanium Blue 45mm FF that was released last year with the see through back and also lighter weight.

The 40mm Mil-spec which does not have the 5 day PR movement.

Let me know your thoughts!

I'd go for the 40mm,
    Biased though as I own one, but I also own the 44mm 5015, the power reserve is a non issue as it's an automatic watch, and is fine as long as its being worn every couple of days.

What may be a bigger turn off though, is it doesnt hack, and unless you've tried one on, wears smaller than a 16600 sea-dweller and feels like 38-39mm on a strap.
    The bracelet does beef it up some.

Upside is, historically the 40mm have held their value better but thats not saying this will, as not everyone likes the pokeball on the dial, I rather like as its a feature of the original.

And because pics are fun...

Last edited by endo; 21st February 2018 at 00:58.

I voted for the standard 45mm model purely because I owned one. You say it wears big, but it doesn't because of the curved lugs. It looks and feels no bigger than a 42mm Speedmaster.

I do suspect that the 40mm mil-spec will be the most desirable and of course valuable over the longer period due to the limited numbers made.

Master
    Thing is upon trying the milspec i was left somewhat feeling “meh” whilst the 45mm felt like a “serious” watch. Ofcourse not dissing the milspec and it’s wonderful proportions but things like not having hex screw bars etc Thank you for your thoughts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's the decision made, I wouldn't spend 12k on a watch i felt meh about ha ha :D

I took both to our small gtg, and the reaction was the same, some prefer the 44, some prefer the 40, as they both wear very differently :)

Master
    But then on the other hand I can see how i may get tired of the 45 FF as no denying its a big watch, which does wear smaller BUT still big. And its not a light watch either around 109grams. Tough decisions...

There are residuals to factor in if you buy the 45mm new and then flip later on. These have appeared on SC for as little as £6.5k to £7k which is a long way short of the list price. The mil-spec trades second hand as a premium watch, so logically less risk financially.

The solution, buy a 45mm second hand for around the £7k Mark if you can.

Personally the 40mm Mil spec but given I really want one and don't want to increase others' demand - either of the other two!

Blog Entries
    For me, I had a chance to try the 40mm and because of the bezel it really appeared too small for me, rather like a 38mm which personally is too small for such a watch. I have the 45mm with bracelet and hope to keep it in my collection for a long time. I bought second hand to cut any losses down stream. It’s a gorgeous watch.

Martyn.

Master
    Interesting........My wrist is super thin, as some of you may know from some of my wrist shots, I literally have stick wrists, just around 6 inches on a good day....My heart wants to get the bada** 45mm but my brain tells me to get the 40mm haha

Im fully aware of the residual issue on the 45mm, i will ofcourse try to source one at a moderate discount to reduce the pain if ever I need to flip it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Interesting........My wrist is super thin, as some of you may know from some of my wrist shots, I literally have stick wrists, just around 6 inches on a good day....My heart wants to get the bada** 45mm but my brain tells me to get the 40mm haha

Im fully aware of the residual issue on the 45mm, i will ofcourse try to source one at a moderate discount to reduce the pain if ever I need to flip it.
    I remember your wrist shots.
    The 40mm would be perfect size on you IMO

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Personally I'd go for the 40mm Milspec, better dimensions and I really like the look. If you have small wrists and think the 45mm will be too big and the 40mm was just a bit "meh", then maybe neither and buy something that you really like? Although I can't blame you for wanting to try one, if you can buy at the right price I guess you can always flip it.

Master
    Mil spec I’ve seen your tiny wrists jordan plus that orange white blob is damn cool

If you decide against the Mil-Spec, I would happily take it instead...

All the best,

Paul

Master
    None of the above.

I'd hunt down the 40mm series 1-3 LEs. Those were the best modern FF, by a long shot.

I have 6.7" wrists and tried both the 40mm Mil Spec and the new titanium 45mm Fifty Fathoms at the blancpain boutique so I think I am qualified to answer the question.
    As nice as the Mil Spec is to look at, I thought it wore smaller than it's 40mm suggests. In fact, even on my small wrists it looked like a boys watch.
    When I picked up the new titanium 45mm Fifty Fathoms it blew me away. The light weight coupled with the colour of the titanium with the dark blue dial and bezel was sublime. Being so short lug to lug means it wears beautifully on most wrists.
    I am definitely having one!!!

Journeyman
    Even though I am not a fan of big watches I do like the black 45mm 50 Fathoms - on my dream list of watches

Master
    I've never been a fan of the beach ball on the 40mm FF.

I wasn't aware that the titanium blue dial FF existed until I read this thread

http://www.watchprosite.com/blancpai...67991.9227326/

Definitely the best FF version available IMO. Does anybody know what the RRP is?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

Definitely the best FF version available IMO. Does anybody know what the RRP is?
    I'm pretty sure the price was £11,300 when I tried it on in the Blancpain boutique last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have 6.7" wrists and tried both the 40mm Mil Spec and the new titanium 45mm Fifty Fathoms at the blancpain boutique so I think I am qualified to answer the question.
    As nice as the Mil Spec is to look at, I thought it wore smaller than it's 40mm suggests. In fact, even on my small wrists it looked like a boys watch.
    When I picked up the new titanium 45mm Fifty Fathoms it blew me away. The light weight coupled with the colour of the titanium with the dark blue dial and bezel was sublime. Being so short lug to lug means it wears beautifully on most wrists.
    Do you feel that the titanium FF is too light? I have never been able to see one in the flesh. Compared to SS do u think the SS is perhaps somewhat more
    unbalanced on the wrist?

Do you feel that the titanium FF is too light? I have never been able to see one in the flesh. Compared to SS do u think the SS is perhaps somewhat more
    unbalanced on the wrist?

I wouldn't say the steel version was unbalanced on the wrist but you definitely notice the weight, if, like me, you prefer to wear it higher up the wrist I found it occasionally rubbed on that bone that sticks out.
    The titanium version is noticeably lighter and felt amazing on the wrist. Balanced and perfect in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I didn't know that existed either - serious want. The FF was crying out for a Ti version and this looks stunning.

I tried on the Ti Bathyscaphe before, but never preferred the style compared to the FF.

Blog Entries
    unbalanced on the wrist?

Looks like there is one in stock in Selfridges (along with the steel 45mm version), so you may want to check it out there? http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/...-501512B4052A/

If I didn't already have the steel version I would be tempted by the blue Ti. The steel isn't unbalanced due to the short curved lugs - it's a fine watch!

BTW - here are some comparison wrist shots of the 40mm and 45mm on my wrist - but like most things it is a personal preference:

Personally - for me the "40mm" has too short a lug-lug and it felt too small - for a watch with a dive bezel - I guess have got used to 'wider' watches in my older age. The 45mm FF is just about the limit for my wrist, which is luckily relatively flat in profile.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd February 2018 at 09:58.

Craftsman
    Tried on Endo's 44mm FF last weekend and got to say I really liked it.

Wasn't a fan of the 40mm, looked too small for me.
    Last edited by Andrew S; 22nd February 2018 at 11:34.

Apprentice
    Definitely the Fifty Fathoms TI. What an amazing looking watch, the brushed titanium case works really well with the sapphire blue dial and bezel.

Aesthetics aside, isn't the movement in the 45mm (1315) supposedly more durable than the one in the 40mm? I've read somewhere that the 1315 is a challenge to rolexes' 3135 and the designer even took it down-hill mountain biking to showcase it's shock resistance and the 1151 is an ultra-thin dress movement.

I'm also considering one of the fifty-fathoms series and had almost settled on the SS bathyscapthe before you threw the TI in and force me to reconsider.

Here is a pic of the 40mm on my 6.7" wrist. I think it looks too small but that's my own opinion. The 45mm has more presence.

20170711_174608.jpg

Master
    I tried the new titanium 45mm at a shop in Winchester. On my 7.5mm wrist it seemed fine, and it is certainly a handsome beast. But at more than £11000, I think not. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    it is certainly a handsome beast. But at more than £11000, I think not. For me anyway.
    This thread has helped me to make a decision to order the titanium one. I just spoke to a contact of mine who has quoted £9050, UK watch, brand new. The list is now £11,480 so a good discount.
    Happy to help other members benefit from this price if you want to pm me and I'll pass your details on.

The blue dial is stunning, however having tried on a 45mm FF a few times now, I have unfortunately reached the conclusion that it is too big for my 7" wrist, so I would go for the 40mm.

I've had and moved on the standard auto, the Dark Knight and the No Radiations (all 45mm); the Mil-Spec won't be going anywhere.

My wrist is 6.75", but I'd say for anyone with a wrist of up to 7.5" or so it isn't remotely small.

Master
    Decisions!!!! Problem is the Mil-spec is time sensitive as obviously there are people waiting in line and i have till Saturday to think about it otherwise i have to let it go!

Master
    Definitely sounds like you need to try both Jordan to properly make your mind up or you may well be saying "what if" further down the line. It's a lot of money to take a punt on based on images and other people's views in terms of what works for them.
    On paper it does sound like the 40mm is the one to go for but you seem somehow set on the 45mm titanium with blue dial. You need to try them both.
    I have a feeling whichever you go for you may end up wishing you'd gone for the other. Don't be rushed by time constraints, try them both.
    I had the same but different issue when I was buying my Pam.
    Viewed Kash's 682 twice, and drove 100 miles each time as it felt too small on my 7.5 wrist, then looking back at photos I realised it was perfect and bought it and it's one of my favourite watches, much smaller than "normal" Pams but perfect.
    Less is sometimes more!

I would take the Milspec in a heart beat.
    Does the Milspec have the Blancpain script down the side? It's the one thing that puts me off the larger versions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Definitely sounds like you need to try both Jordan to properly make your mind up or you may well be saying "what if" further down the line. It's a lot of money to take a punt on based on images and other people's views in terms of what works for them.
    On paper it does sound like the 40mm is the one to go for but you seem somehow set on the 45mm titanium with blue dial. You need to try them both.
    I have a feeling whichever you go for you may end up wishing you'd gone for the other. Don't be rushed by time constraints, try them both.
    I had the same but different issue when I was buying my Pam.
    Viewed Kash's 682 twice, and drove 100 miles each time as it felt too small on my 7.5 wrist, then looking back at photos I realised it was perfect and bought it and it's one of my favourite watches, much smaller than "normal" Pams but perfect.
    Less is sometimes more!

I totally agree. Do try both on if you can? Is the Milspec on a return basis of 14d - most retailers offer that these days. Probably has to be kept in an ‘unworn’ condition but at least you could look at it!! Anyway good luck with this. TBH. I bet there are people on here that would buy the Milspec off you at cost if you didn’t bond with it.

Martyn.

I prefer the style of the big one, but 45mm is a big watch.

I saw one recently in WF and next to other (biggish) watches in a case it looked huge in a way it never has on display before.

I've never tried one on (I fear I may not be able to live without one if I did), but I think you'd really need to be sure about the size on your wrist before committing.

If I had to, I'd accept a 40mm (or even a blue one, although I think the FF has to be black really) with good grace!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Looks like there is one in stock in Selfridges (along with the steel 45mm version), so you may want to check it out there? http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/...-501512B4052A/

If I didn't already have the steel version I would be tempted by the blue Ti. The steel isn't unbalanced due to the short curved lugs - it's a fine watch!

BTW - here are some comparison wrist shots of the 40mm and 45mm on my wrist - but like most things it is a personal preference:

Personally - for me the "40mm" has too short a lug-lug and it felt too small - for a watch with a dive bezel - I guess have got used to 'wider' watches in my older age. The 45mm FF is just about the limit for my wrist, which is luckily relatively flat in profile.

Martyn
    Looking at those pictures it has to be the 45mm. It looks perfect. I would expect the milspec to hold its value better tho.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thank you everyone for contributing! I will make a decision sharpish! Also for those that PMed me about the milspec unfortunately i will not be able to transfer it as the AD in question has a strict list already and has a buyer lined up if i don’t take it so apologies for that.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Having read this thread a few times it's interesting to note that nobody has mentioned the standard size Fifty Fathoms with a blue dial in Steel . This version has a brushed steel case with a guilloche style dial and looks completely different to the dial versions discussed here.

From an individual point of view , the mil spec will keep its value better than any 45mm version purely due to its limited number run. But that for me is the only reason I'd go that route . If you have a particularly small wrist then this could also be a reason to consider the mil spec . Other than that I'd buy (and I own two ) the steel version . Buying a used watch can be a nightmare but in the case of a fifty fathoms with the 1315 movement , your pretty safe, as they are really tough movements that were especially designed for sports watch durability , and time has shown that Frederique Piquet did a fabulous job with this movement . Servicing by a watchmaker that knows his stuff isn't too expensive either so you can factor that into the purchase price of a secondhand watch, Brendan quoted me around 350 for a service on a standard FF last year.

The case in steel makes sense for a sports watch, the polished case with its rounded angles and soft curves fits very comfortably on the wrist and it's easy to sort out dents and dings if you get them, more easily than a brushed case, and certainly more easily than titanium, which in the FF new version is grade 5 titanuim, which is harder to refinish than steel, but tends to pick up small marks easier than steel ( think pelagos ) . The brushed effect is more subtle than the polished ,and some will like that, but again personally I like to know I've got a watch on, I like the weight of the steel over the titanium and I prefer the size of the 45mm version over the mil spec .

When I tried the mil spec I thought it wore very small, I was chopping at the bit to buy a used version off Johan (yonsonn ) of this parish, but I went to the boutique to try it on first, and compared to my standard version it just felt too small on my 7.25 inch wrist , I actually think this was Johan's issue with it too , but I'm sure he will chip in if I'm wrong . Plus we have to remember that primarily it's a dive watch,and it should be big and bold with a big easy to rotate bezel, and easy to read, the bigger size of the standard watch fits the bill on that account .

The lack of hex screws on the mil spec and the lack of hacking are two other issues I think should have been included , and personally I'm not a fan of the moisture disc, but understand the heritage of that inclusion . It's should be remembered though that hex screws do present another issue of strap changing, which will take longer on the standard version, but in all honesty, have owned a few of these FF models, much like Tony ( LTF ) , I rarely stray from the sailcloth strap which is both comfortable and very hard wearing . I find the bracelet uncomfortable and it also lacks micro adjustment which is an annoyance on such a premium product . It does also make the watch slightly wider as the end piece spread the watch across the wrist further than the sailcloth does. Also fitting any other strap rather than the sailcloth can be hard, even a NATO will prove harder than you'd imagine , but it can be done .

upload upload

You may also want to consider the antimagnetic property of the standard version over the others, for some this will not be an issue and the new versions do have a A magnetic hairspring, so you do get some protection and a display case back which will be a consideration for some, but again the standard version just does what it says on the tin, a no nonesense watch that's hard to beat.

If you want exclusivity or have small wrists but still want a FF's then the mil spec is the way to go, otherwise I'd buy a secondhand standard FF's . The titanium version will be harder to get on the used market so I guess that's just a waiting game . The FF is an iconic watch in all versions , so whatever route you take you'll still have a fabulous timepiece .
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 24th February 2018 at 11:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Having read this thread a few times it's interesting to note that nobody has mentioned the standard size Fifty Fathoms with a blue dial in Steel . This version has a brushed steel case with a guilloche style dial and looks completely different to the dial versions discussed here.

From an individual point of view , the mil spec will keep its value better than any 45mm version purely due to its limited number run. But that for me is the only reason I'd go that route . If you have a particularly small wrist then this could also be a reason to consider the mil spec . Other than that I'd buy (and I own two ) the steel version . Buying a used watch can be a nightmare but in the case of a fifty fathoms with the 1315 movement , your pretty safe, as they are really tough movements that were especially designed for sports watch durability , and time has shown that Frederique Piquet did a fabulous job with this movement . Servicing by a watchmaker that knows his stuff isn't too expensive either so you can factor that into the purchase price of a secondhand watch, Brendan quoted me around 350 for a service on a standard FF last year.

The case in steel makes sense for a sports watch, the polished case with its rounded angles and soft curves fits very comfortably on the wrist and it's easy to sort out dents and dings if you get them, more easily than a brushed case, and certainly more easily than titanium, which in the FF new version is grade 5 titanuim, which is harder refinish than steel, but tends to pick up small marks easier than steel . The brushed effect is more subtle, and some will like that, but again personally I like to know I've got a watch on, I like the weight of the steel over the titanium and I prefer the size of the 45mm version over the mil spec .

When I tried the mil spec I thought it wore very small, I was chopping at the bit to buy a used version off yonsonn of this parish, but I went to the boutique to try it one first, and compared to my standard version it just felt too small on my 7.25 inch wrist . Plus it's a dive watch, it should be big and bold with a big easy to rotate bezel, and easy to read, the bigger size of the standard watch fits the bill on that account .

The lack of hex screws on the mil spec and the lack of hacking are two other issues I think should have been included , and personally I'm not a fan of the moisture disc, but understand the heritage of that inclusion . It's should be remembered though that hex screws do present another issue of strap changing, which will take longer on the standard version, but in all honesty, have owned a few of these FF models, much like Tony ( LTF ) , I rarely stray from the sailcloth strap which is both comfortable and very hard wearing . I find the bracelet uncomfortable and it also lacks micro adjustment which is an annoyance on such a premium product . It does also make the watch slightly wider as the end piece spread the watch across the wrist further than the sailcloth does. Also fitting any other strap rather than the sailcloth can be hard, even a NATO will prove harder than you'd imagine , but it can be done .

You may also want to consider the antimagnetic property of the standard version over the others, for some this will not be an issue and the new versions do have a A magnetic hairspring, so you do get some protection and a display case back which will be a consideration for some, but again the standard version just does what it says on the tin, a no nonesense watch that's hard to beat.

If you want exclusivity or have small wrists but still want a FF's then the mil spec is the way to go, otherwise I'd buy a secondhand standard FF's . The titanium version will be harder to get on the used market so I guess that's just a waiting game . The FF is an iconic watch in all versions , so whatever route you take you'll still have a fabulous timepiece .
    Some good points made there.
    The blue version with the guilloche style dial is beautiful and very different from the standard black version, but I think that many would think that this type of dial probably is more suited to a dressier type of watch.
    I think die-hard FF fans prefer the standard dial, but would be interested for other's views on this.

Yes, the Mil Spec will definitely keep it's value better, and the only reason why I would buy it over the standard FF, for reasons of size and the moisture indicator which I'm not too keen on.

Surely the stand out value proposition at the moment has to be the blue dialled chronograph with bracelet available from Iconic for less than the three hander.

https://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/blan...-1140-71b.html

Master
    Dietcokeman makes some good points, and he is a source of knowledge about ff. This thread has made me dig mine (bought from dietcokeman) out of the safe to wear for the weekend. 20180224_104247.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Any of those three would be awesome. I have to say the standard FF is a magnificent watch though.

Blog Entries
    Here it is on the bracelet for a point of reference. It took me quite a while to get a comfy fit, but using the two half links I eventually have a close fit with some movement for comfort. It doesn't have any 'easy-link' or easy way to adjust - rather like the old Omega Seamaster bracelets. The quality and finish is superb though. But then I am biased!

Martyn.

I guess OP - you've already made your decision - spill the beans - did you buy the Milispec???

I handled both the 45mm and mill spec 40mm today (although I wasn’t allowed to touch the mill spec with bare hands as it was sold)

The 40mm wears smaller than the size would suggest (I wasn’t followed to wear it but offered it up to my wrist with regulatory gloves on). The 45mm also didn’t wear as big as the size might suggest but was still a big watch.

On balance I’d take the 40mm but maybe the rarity value is clouding my judgement.

Just out of interest what are the mill spec FFs going for these days??

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Just out of interest what are the mill spec FFs going for these days??
    The two with listed prices on Chrono 24 are up for £12k and £13k, so roughly that.

The American RRP is £10,100 (in dollars, obviously), I don’t know what UK RRP is.

I'm wondering how available these are (only 500 made) as in the space of a week the OP has been offered one and now I've been offered one.

I'm wondering if it is the same one.
    I'm sorely tempted but would mean a quick rationalisation of my collection...

Master
    It’s not the same one!

Journeyman
    Unless you have an 8 inch wrist then the 40mm. Just my opinion ;)

It’s not the same one!

Did you go for the mil spec?

Just been offered a mil spec from ad in Madrid for £9.7k. Seems a ‘bit of a bargain’ (relatively speaking!). Amazing looking piece... decisions.