closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Seawdweller 126600

Rolex Seawdweller 126600

I've got the opportunity to purchase a Rolex Seadweller 126600 at list price from a UK dealer. I've lost track of the value of these but I'm guessing that this is a bit of a no brainer? It's certainly a fantastic looking watch!

Craftsman
    Prices have softened considerably. But at list price it’s a gorgeous watch and you will struggle to keep it off your wrist.

Blog Entries
    Congrats. No brainer.

If you’re happy with the size of it then go for it I say. Forget about the values.

Craftsman
    I ordered one last week , how long were you waiting ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I think it was 9 months at least. List is £8350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Congrats. No brainer.
    Ditto ^^^^^^^..go for it.

Craftsman
    Definitely go for it! If not, I am happy to jump in for you and buy it at that price. ;)

Congrats!

Craftsman
    Why go on a list for a watch you wouldn't want????

I guess we change our minds sometimes and I also got a couple of nice watches whilst I was waiting. 21st century problems and all that.

No brainer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I guess we change our minds sometimes and I also got a couple of nice watches whilst I was waiting. 21st century problems and all that.

Nice problem to have :-) I have been awaiting the call since release. Just about to buy a new house. Really can't see the watch fund staying intact for much longer :-(

Craftsman
    I turned one down at list before Xmas, it wasn't as big as my DSSD and it wasn't as subtle as my sub and for me it just ended up as a bit of a nothing so I passed, not to say it's not a great first watch if you wanted a diver tho.

Go in and try it on. Make up your mind at the AD.

I've got the opportunity to purchase a Rolex Seadweller 126600 at list price from a UK dealer. I've lost track of the value of these but I'm guessing that this is a bit of a no brainer? It's certainly a fantastic looking watch!
    Can I ask how long you’ve been on the waiting list?

Since Basel or more recently?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Go in and try it on. Make up your mind at the AD.
    Yep, just decided that's what I'm going to do tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Can I ask how long you’ve been on the waiting list?

Since Basel or more recently?

Yes, I put my name down just after Basel last year. Roughly the same time that I put my name down for the blue SkyDweller which I picked up on the 1st September and have enjoyed ever since.

It certainly pays to be patient

Master
    I’ve not seen one in the flesh but reading owners comment on here, they seem to be a great watch. I think, as with the Deepsea, after a few hours on the wrist you don’t notice the extra size and weight.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have one and love it. I am waiting for Rubber B to bring out a strap for it though, then it will get way more wrist time. Same as someone else has said, try it on and decide.

Stuart

I've been on the waiting list for 9-10 months now I think. AD recently told me I shouldn't expect it before next Christmas. Urrgh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Rather than flood all the various Wrist Check, Incoming etc etc threads with my thoughts on the Rolex Sea Dweller I'd put my thoughts down on one thread.

A Rolex Sea Dweller is a watch that I think a great deal of and is something special to me personally-it sounds a bit wanky but all our watches are. I have my DJ that my father bought for my 21st birthday, the dress watch I bought in part from a small inheritance from my late grandfather, the DJ I bought my fiancé to surprise her with on our wedding morning and "my" Sea Dweller that I actually bought as a gift for my daughter's first birthday.

I won't lie, my Sea Dweller 16600 was bought purely as an investment.

I'd wanted a tool/sports watch for some time and decided a Sea Dweller was at that time a little undervalued. The history of the model really appealed to me, as did the seemingly indestructible build quality and weight that came the depth rating. The rumours of something special arriving at the following years Basalworld show only made me more determined that the Sea Dweller should be the one.

The appeal of investment may seem cynical but I figured a couple of nice watches would currently outperform an ISA as investment for our childs future, that Dad gets to wear a nice watch in between buying and selling was immaterial of course :) I always made the deal with myself that I could trade up the watch but solely for the purpose of increasing the investment-when she hits 18, it's all hers.

So when the Sea Dweller 50th came about I was happy I'd made the right decision. New interest in old 'dwellers and a nice little price rise for my daughters university fees :)

|https://thumbsnap.com/ijRsrSfl

However whilst picking up a GMTii BLNR last summer (for my best friend) I got talking to the salesperson about the watches and thought I had nothing to lose by going on the list for a few nice pieces. I knew a Daytona was a tall order but the BLNR was easy enough so I figured go for the SD50-why not?

Last week, around 6 months after joining the list I got the call-it was coming in and I was the first person to answer the phone and say yes. A quick call to the bank to extend the credit card limit and I'll see you at the weekend :D

So today was the day. Quite a leap of faith when you've only ever tried one on loosely before. On the forums we can all be quite vocal via the filter of the keyboard but I make no bones about my observations on the watch itself. I've tried 43mm watches before and always thought they're too big, the cyclops is a travesty and the ceramic bezel is bordering on plastic looking.

But none of that really matters if you want one. It is after all the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller by Rolex. Some will buy into that, some will not and probably more will hate it for being exactly that. Me personally? Rolex never do special editions. They've hinted at them before, such as the LV Submariner and they've done commemorative editions such as the Deep Sea James Cameron but as far as I'm aware they've never marketed an Anniversary edition before.

There's got to be value in that hasn't there? And if there is just remember what I'm doing this for.

|https://thumbsnap.com/6oS9ayiv

First thoughts? It's big. Obviously not as big as a Deep Sea but it really is getting there, it's going to take some getting used to. The strap is a beautiful improvement on the old watch but for me in all other aspects I'm really not so sure.

The 16600 looks flash in isolation but tough and sturdy enough that I have no concerns about wearing it on the building site, doing the gardening or DIY. The Anniversary doesn't immediately fill you with such confidence.

I know it will be as tough-it's a Rolex after all but it's a perception-to me it feels like jewellery where the 16600 does feel like a tool. My mate was laughing today when I said my 16600 makes me feel like I should be piloting an old fishing boat when the Anniversary feels like I should be attempting reconstructive surgery (no offence to any surgeons out there-it's just not me!).

However, I do feel that it should be a better investment, so swings and roundabouts! I have firm offers on both watches that mean either could be sold at very good profit-I know it's a dirty word around here but I'm quite open about what I'm doing and I may even put both up for sale and whichever goes first will mean I keep the other-there's no bad option in either watch I think.

However, enough waffling for now (although all discussion is more than welcome-I need to decide somehow!), we all just want to see some pics don't we...

|https://thumbsnap.com/B7EhI6J1

|https://thumbsnap.com/Y4kOwfWq

|https://thumbsnap.com/TdlE7U1B

|https://thumbsnap.com/SrZsTGNx

|https://thumbsnap.com/ub5CdBJq

|https://thumbsnap.com/efh4EV8d
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaurasOtherHalf; 21st February 2018 at 09:30.

Craftsman
    It's probably obvious, but this was cribbed from another forum I post on-I'd replace the photos for the post on this thread but I'm not 100% on how to do it.

But, regardless of all that I feel it explains my thoughts on the watch when I bought it last weekend. I've had some time with it now so more than welcome to answer any Qs about what I think of it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Last week, around 6 months after joining the list I got the call-it was coming in and I was the first person to answer the phone and say yes. A quick call to the bank to extend the credit card limit and I'll see you at the weekend D
    If you put your name down 5 months after Basel 2017 and got the call, you want to buy a lottery ticket this weekend as well as the SD43!!

Said elsewhere my AD said they'd had "1 or 2" and think that's across their 2 shops. Can't recall if he said what the length of his list was but got the impression it was double figures the week of the launch!

I shall focus any future searches for watches in the glorious Lake District!
    Last edited by David_D; 21st February 2018 at 01:24.

Craftsman
    I'm not sure I was that lucky to be honest, I do feel there are a lot of dreamers cluttering up the "waiting lists", I purchased a BLNR GMT from the same shop within 3 months of asking and that's with having zero buying relationship with them in the past.

Regardless, are the photos showing now for some reason? I have no idea how I got them to work if so!

Master

Rolex Seawdweller 126600

I love it personally and was fortunate in that I got one pretty much straight after Basel via grey dealer and wore it as a daily wearer until something beyond my realms came up and so I flipped it but almost immediately regretted it, then through some sheer act of fate I had a call from my AD to say one had come in so I maxed out the credit card and got it back (The AD have retained the cards for 6 months not that I care as it wont be going anywhere soon) and Im delighted top have it back on my wrist. It does appear that they are starting to come through.

In my opinion its the perfect watch for me Im not a fan of the dssd and I have 8.5" Wrists so the 43mm variation as opposed to a sub or gmt just feels right for me and its also that little bit different than any other offerings in the rolex stable - I love it

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 21st February 2018 at 09:55.

Master
    Buy it, don’t like it then sell it. I don’t the Nik you’ll struggle. Especially if you sell at list on here

Thanks for all the comments guys. Made the phone call, money sorted, and off to collect the watch later today! Very excited.

Craftsman
    Excellent - Enjoy!

Well, I picked it up and it is truly a superb looking thing. We all know what these look like so I won't worry about pictures for now. Thanks again for all the feedback and I feel very happy that I have a local Rolex AD who really does prioritise his local customers.

Well, I picked it up and it is truly a superb looking thing. We all know what these look like so I won't worry about pictures for now. Thanks again for all the feedback and I feel very happy that I have a local Rolex AD who really does prioritise his local customers.
    Nice going!

Let me guess, they let you keep the warranty card and didn't insist on removing the stickers?

What is this thread without a brand new wrist shot?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Nice going!

Let me guess, they let you keep the warranty card and didn't insist on removing the stickers?
    Stickers and warrnty retained when I collected mine - cant say it bothers me I have a reciept and photos of the cards which will be in the safe for 6 months and then they will be with me

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Stickers and warrnty retained when I collected mine - cant say it bothers me I have a reciept and photos of the cards which will be in the safe for 6 months and then they will be with me
    Ah very interesting. Thank you.

Craftsman
    Congrats, I'm not jealous. Not one bit

Craftsman
    Wear mine every day ... absolutely love it