closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: how do you measure your wrist for a watch strap

Master

how do you measure your wrist for a watch strap

say for a leather strap

do you measure the circumference of your wrist then add say 3cm and that should equal a comfortable size

and then compare it to the sum of each piece of the strap plus the size of the watch head

or is there another more usual way

I wouldn't bother to measure my wrist. I would just fit a strap you already have, to the watch you are looking to buy the strap for. Look to see how that fits, measure the 2 parts of the strap and adjust the dimensions you are looking for to ensure that the new strap will position the buckle where you want it, with the required amount of tail once fastened.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I wouldn't bother to measure my wrist. I would just fit a strap you already have, to the watch you are looking to buy the strap for. Look to see how that fits, measure the 2 parts of the strap and adjust the dimensions you are looking for to ensure that the new strap will position the buckle where you want it, with the required amount of tail once fastened.
    Thanks for that - I know that maybe I'm making too much of it, but I want to get a made to measure strap, so just another question - is there a fixed ratio between the two parts of the strap - I notice that some advertised say 110/75 and similar, presumably mm's

I'm wanting to get a really good soft leather strap for my 16610 Sub, so I would like to make sure I don't make a mistake

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Thanks for that - I know that maybe I'm making too much of it, but I want to get a made to measure strap, so just another question - is there a fixed ratio between the two parts of the strap - I notice that some advertised say 110/75 and similar, presumably mm's

I'm wanting to get a really good soft leather strap for my 16610 Sub, so I would like to make sure I don't make a mistake
    Most as you say are between 70-80mm on the shorter (clasp) side and 110-120mm on the longer (holes) side. Altering the length of the shorter piece will change how far round the clasp sits on your wrist. Different case sizes, how far apart the lugs are, and also how thick the strap is will all change your exact requirements for length, so as suggested above your best bet is to fit another leather strap of a similar thickness to the one you're looking at to your sub, decide if the lengths need tweaking, and make a note of which hole you use so you can measure where it needs placing.

Different manufacturers will have different standard sizes, commonly 110/70, 120/80, 120/75. For a bespoke strap you can choose the specific length of the two parts of the strap.

As an example I have used off the shelf standard straps on my Submariner of 120mm/80mm from Hirsch and 120mm/75mm from JPM. If I was being picky and having a strap made for that watch, I would probably choose 115mm/80mm as the best fit for me - on a watch with a different lug to lug l may well pick a slightly different size.

Thickness of the strap at the watch head end will also need to be considered, to ensure the strap doesn't rub on the case.

Master
    Thanks guys - really useful info