closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Rolex quality control?

Banned

Poor Rolex quality control?

Since Rolex is in the enviable position where people seem to be begging for their steel sports models, is it possible that they have let quality control slip? A buyer who has waited many months for his dream watch is not likely to reject it, is he?

Here is a video made by someone who has been in the enviable position of being able to pick the best watch out of a many examples. He reports poor bezel alignment, misaligned rehaut and movement problems. I would find the poor alignment annoying but not a deal breaker. Movement problems on the other hand are not acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFYiKfDYWBo&t=3120s
    Last edited by Peteris; 20th February 2018 at 09:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You really are stinking the place out with your constant inane threads. Welcome back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    You really are stinking the place out with your constant inane threads. Welcome back.
    Some here would say that you are actually me, talking to myself. Are you sure that you are not me? Or am I perhaps you?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    Some here would say that you are actually me, talking to myself. Are you sure that you are not me? Or am I perhaps you?
    Either way, you are a kent.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Sorry, only managed 3 minutes.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sorry I lost the will to live watching that. If you were searching for informed threads on Rolex was that the best you could find?

Blog Entries
    It's all fake.

Wow, a 65-minute video?

Sorry, OP - not going to watch that.

Also, going to need some footage of some actual problems, rather than a talking head in a basement.

Craftsman

Grand seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Wow, a 65-minute video?

Also, going to need some footage of some actual problems, rather than a talking head in a basement.

The “Grand seiko.. I’m a convert” thread currently has a couple of reply regards poor Rolex quality control.

Every goods maker will have some issues at some point during a production cycle. Inevitable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Every goods maker will have some issues at some point during a production cycle. Inevitable.
    I don't agree. Some makers of much cheaper watches do a better job. The only reason Rolex can get away with this is that people are falling over themselves to get their hands on a steel sports model. They are not going to reject their watch due to some minor issues when they finally get their hands on it.

I don't agree. Some makers of much cheaper watches do a better job. The only reason Rolex can get away with this is that people are falling over themselves to get their hands on a steel sports model. They are not going to reject their watch due to some minor issues when they finally get their hands on it.
    Get away with what? We've got a neckbeard in the video complaining, and a long-standing member of the other thread with problems with his 42mm ExII. That's hardly conclusive of anything. Given the sheer numbers of Rolexes around, given their domination of the steel sports market, shouldn't there be more complaints? I've bought three or four Rolexes new from ADs, and never had any issues. There - counter-balance for you.

Or, find some more evidence or numbers. At the moment, OP, you're speculating on reasons for a problem which probably doesn't even exist.

Master
    Since Rolex is in the enviable position where people seem to be begging for their steel sports models, is it possible that they have let quality control slip? A buyer who has waited many months for his dream watch is not likely to reject it, is he?
    On the other hand, it could be argued that Rolex's stringent quality control doesn't allow for increased production/supply, creating the waiting lists in the first place.

Get away with what? We've got a neckbeard in the video complaining, and a long-standing member of the other thread with problems with his 42mm ExII. That's hardly conclusive of anything. Given the sheer numbers of Rolexes around, given their domination of the steel sports market, shouldn't there be more complaints? I've bought three or four Rolexes new from ADs, and never had any issues. There - counter-balance for you.

Or, find some more evidence or numbers. At the moment, OP, you're speculating on reasons for a problem which probably doesn't even exist.
    I hasten to add that the issues with my 42mm Exp2 developed after I bought it and I've just added to the GS thread that I haven't seen more than one complaint here about a Grand Seiko but possibly because there are significantly more Rolexes on here than GS. The issues with my watch and Rolex's treatment of it have annoyed the pants off me but I have no qualms about mentioning them as I have no intention of selling. Were I thinking of selling at some point I wonder if I'd have mentioned issues with the watch!

But yes, the first post on this thread does look like pure trolling!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shut up Steve, you lonely little man.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I hasten to add that the issues with my 42mm Exp2 developed after I bought it and I've just added to the GS thread that I haven't seen more than one complaint here about a Grand Seiko but possibly because there are significantly more Rolexes on here than GS. The issues with my watch and Rolex's treatment of it have annoyed the pants off me but I have no qualms about mentioning them as I have no intention of selling. Were I thinking of selling at some point I wonder if I'd have mentioned issues with the watch!

But yes, the first post on this thread does look like pure trolling!
    Conservatively Rolex make 7-800,000 watches a year at the moment. How many Grand Seiko are made in a year?

+1
    Make it stop

Shut up Steve, you lonely little man.
    Pathetic, indeed.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Conservatively Rolex make 7-800,000 watches a year at the moment. How many Grand Seiko are made in a year?

Is that you in the video? Guy is a pain to hear

Master
    Wow, a 65-minute video?

Indeed, saw the time of the video, sense checked I could still read correctly how long a video was, then closed it down. Who on Earth is going to spend over an hour watching that?

All I hope is that it took him many, many attempts to get a one take shot.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    While this You Tube presentation may have been a bit long-winded, some valid points were conveyed. Like a college lecture, one often has to weed through the bulk in order to get to the key points.

Due to consumer demand and over 900,000+ units produced per annum, Rolex watches are essentially a mass-produced consumer product and variances in QA are bound to occur. It's a numbers game.

Surprisingly and despite their mass production (whether it be an economy model mechanical 5, quartz SSB or moving upwards towards a Grand Seiko), the Seiko line does not seem to experience such variances in overall consistency.

There have been countless Rolex tales of misaligned bezels, dust specks and fingerprints beneath the crystal. Most would concur that this is totally unacceptable for a watch that costs $10K+ USD.

These various oversights seem to be more prevalent amongst the current 6 digit models as it was a rare occurrence when the 4 digit models were in production.

The scenario is vaguely reminiscent of that baseball movie, Field of Dreams. In other words…if Rolex builds it, some upwardly mobile mentality will buy it regardless. With a 5-year warranty, just send it back to the RSC for correction and wear your AP during the interim.

Meanwhile, the violins play their sympathetic overture.

All together now!

Banned
    And your point is, that Rolex is a mass producer of watches, with more emphasis on quantity rather than quality? I don't really believe that. I just think Rolex may be taking advantage of the situation where people are fighting each other, just for the privilege of paying large sums of money for a Rolex and they have become lax in their procedures.

If the Rolex watch a buyer receives is suffering from some defect he may be inclined to accept it rather than have the watch sent away for repair or waiting many months for a replacement.

And your point is, that Rolex is a mass producer of watches, with more emphasis on quantity rather than quality? I don't really believe that. I just think Rolex may be taking advantage of the situation where people are fighting each other, just for the privilege of paying large sums of money for a Rolex and they have become lax in their procedures.

If the Rolex watch a buyer receives is suffering from some defect he may be inclined to accept it rather than have the watch sent away for repair or waiting many months for a replacement.
    I think you are talking through your polo

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah lifeblood.

Master
    One glance told you guy in video uses drugs

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Ah lifeblood.
    Ha ha!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    One glance told you guy in video uses drugs
    The Rolex employee who aligns bezels probably smokes the same stuff.

"Do not try and bend Rolex, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realise the truth...there is no Rolex at any AD's. Then you'll see that it is not Rolex that bends, it is only yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    despite their mass production (whether it be an economy model mechanical 5, quartz SSB or moving upwards towards a Grand Seiko), the Seiko line does not seem to experience such variances in overall consistency.
    Except when they can't even apply "GS" to the dial properly

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/gran...ml#post7623058

"I've had my Snowflake for a few weeks now .... something caught my eye for the first time today - the applied GS logo didn't look straight? The "S" definitely looked higher than the "G". So I put it under some magnification to investigate further and the letters are definitely not level."

Some makers of much cheaper watches do a better job.
    No they don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post

There have been countless Rolex tales of misaligned bezels, dust specks and fingerprints beneath the crystal.
    Apart from bezels the rest are very very rare.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have we seen any pictures of the OPs collection yet?

Craftsman

No, my point was that they make so many watches even if 0.01% go wrong that's a significant number, if 0.01% of grand Seiko go wrong that's maybe 10 or less watches.

Banned
    No, my point was that they make so many watches even if 0.01% go wrong that's a significant number, if 0.01% of grand Seiko go wrong that's maybe 10 or less watches.
    No. He was fortunate enough to be able to look at many examples and all of them were plainly flawed. All of them. There is no way just a minor percentage of Submariners that leave the factory is flawed.

And let's not mix up flawed with going "wrong". The watch he initially got went wrong. It had a defective movement and he rejected it. That was however only one watch, not many, so it is hard to draw any conclusion regarding how many watches leave the Rolex factory with defective movements. Let's hope it is only 0.01%.

Craftsman

Cache

No. He was fortunate enough to be able to look at many examples and all of them were plainly flawed. All of them. There is no way just a minor percentage of Submariners that leave the factory is flawed.

And let's not mix up flawed with going "wrong". The watch he initially got went wrong. It had a defective movement and he rejected it. That was however only one watch, not many, so it is hard to draw any conclusion regarding how many watches leave the Rolex factory with defective movements. Let's hope it is only 0.01%.

Rolex probably do get away with production flaws and faults more so than perceived cheaper brands because of the cache they hold within the general public perspective.

We’re a fault with a Tag Heuer you would be asking for your money back, similar fault with a Rolex would probably only lead you to ask them to fix it, purely because of brand positioning within the luxury market.

Similar to the luxury car market, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover, consistent poor reliability performance compared to other perceived less value manufacturers but buyers still want them because of the status perception.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Have we seen any pictures of the OPs collection yet?
    No. I am frankly embarrassed to post it here. There are so many people here with truly spectacular collections. I don't have that. I might post a picture of my meager collection at some stage, but don't hold your breath.

Why do I care about Rolex? Because, believe it or not I want one. My local dealer does not have the model I want but he informed me that he might have it 8 months or so from now and then he might let me know. Another dealer in my country said that they don't have waiting lists but I am welcome to call once a month and ask if they have the watch I want...

After seeing the video I wonder whether or not this is all worthwhile. What happens if the watch is flawed and I have to reject it? When will I get a replacement? I would not want my money back. I would want the Rolex model I am after with the kind of quality control that one can expect for a Casio G shock. I still want the watch, but not as much as before. Perhaps soon I will be cured of this longing...

Craftsman
    It is simple, look to other watches, there are so many out there. Don't follow the herd!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    It is simple, look to other watches, there are so many out there. Don't follow the herd!
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I am looking at this right now:

Paper dial

Picture from:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/citi...4521115-2.html
    Last edited by Peteris; 21st February 2018 at 08:16.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I would want the Rolex model I am after with the kind of quality control that one can expect for a Casio G shock...
    seriously? You mean you haven’t watched the promotion videos from Rolex and the investment in service departments? Shame, after all the money they spent.

and are you really basing your choice on one random in a youtube vid?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st February 2018 at 08:41.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am looking at this right now:

Paper dial

Picture from:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/citi...4521115-2.html
    Nice edit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    seriously? You mean you haven’t watched the promotion videos from Rolex and the investment in service departments? Shame, after all the money they spent.
    Sure, I have seen the self important videos, and I admit I was taken in by them until I saw that in real life they can't put their watches together straight. They should have spent the money on making that watches properly, rather than on those videos. At the end of the day it is the watches that count. No one wears the promotional material on their wrists.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bang bang goes the drum.

Perhaps soon I will be cured of this longing...
    Perhaps soon the forum will be cured of this idiotic trolling ...

Poor Rolex quality control?

You want a Rolex yet you are looking at a JDM quartz Citizen Chrinomaster?

By the way years ago I had a steel Duratect A660 Citizen Chronomaster and it was an amazing watch. Deeply regret selling it to this day...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    You want a Rolex yet you are looking at a JDM quartz Citizen Chrinomaster?

By the way years ago I had a steel Duratect A660 Citizen Chronomaster and it was an amazing watch. Deeply regret selling it to this day...

And I currently have one. Absolutely fantastic - GS level finishing, exceptionally comfortable and obscenely accurate.

To the OP, forget about the Rolex and get the Citizen!

Blog Entries
    Sure, I have seen the self important videos, and I admit I was taken in by them until I saw that in real life they can't put their watches together straight. They should have spent the money on making that watches properly, rather than on those videos. At the end of the day it is the watches that count. No one wears the promotional material on their wrists.
    Real life is youtube? Have you been to an AD and bought one? Here is one made ‘straight’ - yes - it was mine.

Anyway, you have your mind set on a citizen (or was it Casio or something else). Hope you get what you want.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st February 2018 at 18:44.

Master
    Never had a ‘bent’ issue with any of my 5 previous Rolex professional series watches and I’ve had a diver, driver, spellunker, mountaineer, sailor, nor with my current DJ over the last 22 years

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Real life is youtube? Have you been to an AD and bought one? Here is one made ‘straight’ - yes - it was mine.

Anyway, you have your mind set on a citizen (or was it Casio or something else). Hope you get what you want.

Martyn.
    Thanks, yours is not bad, and thanks for the encouraging words.

On the other hand, if this is what I received after 8 months waiting and handing over a significant amount of money, then I would be ready to explode. This one must have been made on a Friday, how it was ever allowed to leave the Rolex factory is a mystery, they were probably too busy making videos to notice.

Master
    ^^^^^^
    Are you sure that’s real? As the font on Rolex on the dial doesn’t look right to me, neither does the coronet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Are you sure that’s real? As the font on Rolex on the dial doesn’t look right to me, neither does the coronet
    I don't know much about fakes, but this is a screen shot of the watch that is being reviewed in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFYiKfDYWBo&t=3120s
    He is showing it up close from many angles so I struggle to believe it is a fake. Regarding the coronet, I believe that is correctly aligned. I think it is the 12 o'clock marker that is slightly off.

Last edited by Peteris; 21st February 2018 at 21:56.