closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko...I'm a convert!

Craftsman

Grand Seiko...I'm a convert!

I didn't think I ever would be, but I have to confess that in the last few years I've become a bit of a Rolex fanboy...it pains me even more to admit that I've bit a bit snobbish about Grand Seiko in recent past - I'd see them on SC and think "nice piece, but can't bring myself to spend serious money on something that has Seiko on the dial".

Well, here is me eating humble pie and admitting I'm utterly blown away by Grand Seiko - I haven't even handled one in person (yet) but the following Watchfinder video really did impress me...I'm a convert)

https://youtu.be/rwA_gAHcmLs

Saw that earlier, and it had the opposite effect on me. I don’t know why GS are going so oversized and “butch”; it’s as though they’re losing their svelte, urbane self confidence in an attempt to ape the big R et al.

Craftsman
    I couldn’t agree more. Every time one comes up on SC Im tempted. A year ago I would have never considered spending that much on a ‘seiko’.

I guess despite Ford making a Fiesta , it doesn’t alter my opinion on the GT40 . Why should the fact Seiko make some cheaper watches change my view on a GS.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    They are overpriced lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 20th February 2018 at 00:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Saw that earlier, and it had the opposite effect on me. I don’t know why GS are going so oversized and “butch”; it’s as though they’re losing their svelte, urbane self confidence in an attempt to ape the big R et al.
    Gs never had thin movements. It’s always been their case was 40mm and quite thick which for me was the main drawback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Gs never had thin movements. It’s always been their case was 40mm and quite thick which for me was the main drawback.

Agreed. I wish this one was a few mm thinner.

For a video that's effectively an advertisement for the brand it's odd that they used one of the older logo'd Grand Seiko models.

The original Grand Seiko series cases measured 31-38mm [diameter] x 40-44mm [lug to lug].

Have a read of this to find out more about those lovely lovely Grand Seikos: https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...llectors-guide

Excellent video.

The fact that GSs fly under the radar is one of the most attractive aspects for me.

Master

Grand Seiko...I'm a convert!

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    The original Grand Seiko series cases measured 31-38mm [diameter] x 40-44mm [lug to lug].

Have a read of this to find out more about those lovely lovely Grand Seikos: https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...llectors-guide
    Oh dun get me wrong i love GS (i am of Japanese origin) and think their hand and case finishing is comparable to the likes of Patek and Vacheron et al. However the GS movement still has a long way to go in terms of aesthetics and size. I mean yes i’m aware that Patek etc costs 5 times the GS but if JLC and Rolex can make thinner movements dun see why the modern GS cannot be thinner.

Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 20th February 2018 at 01:36.

Master

Indeed. Their hand wound and quartz models aren't even particularly thin, and their automatics are even thicker.

Master
    I'd buy a GS with my own money any day over a Rolex. Aside from the rich history and some vintage divecwatches, Rolex is a brand that has never really interested me. I owned a Exp2 42mm that had to be sent back to the factory after a week because the dial had flecks of black dust on it. That put me off completely. I've owned more seikos than I can remember (never a GS unfortunately) and they have never put a foot wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    For a video that's effectively an advertisement for the brand it's odd that they used one of the older logo'd Grand Seiko models.
    I think that it is because it is really just a promotional video for the one specific GS that they have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I'd buy a GS with my own money any day over a Rolex. Aside from the rich history and some vintage divecwatches, Rolex is a brand that has never really interested me. I owned a Exp2 42mm that had to be sent back to the factory after a week because the dial had flecks of black dust on it. That put me off completely. I've owned more seikos than I can remember (never a GS unfortunately) and they have never put a foot wrong.
    Yes, me too. I bought my 42mm Explorer 2 for my 40th and became a bit disillusioned that the dial was dark brown rather than black, I assume it had been sitting in the shop window long enough to fade slightly in the sun. Fortunately before too long the hour hand went floppy and I had to drop it off at St James's for repair. It came back with what looked like a fingerprint in the smudge of what looked like oil in the very centre of the dial so back to St James's, who replaced the dial with a black one (it looks miles better now) but didn't do the hands, so at dusk and in low light (but not so the lume is activated) you can see much clearer the difference in tone. Fortunately the chap at Rolex told me they would likely change the hands for new ones every service anyway. So much for me buying a watch I'd keep original and unpolished and pass on to my son! By the time it gets to him it will hopefully still have a fat and unpolished case but brand new shiny dial and hands.

Were it now and I were doing the same thing I'd be all over a 36,000 high-beat GS GMT and wouldn't even think of Rolex. As much as I'd like a BLNR I think GS just do it better. I don't know if their servicing and quality control is like Rolex's but for me the watches look significantly better. Plus you get the extra kudos of no one giving your watch a second glance.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Indeed. Their hand wound and quartz models aren't even particularly thin, and their automatics are even thicker.
    The quartz models are at least correctly proportioned though, and sit right on the wrist. I love the hi-beat, the case and dial are beautiful and the size is perfect, it could almost be a perfect watch. But it just sits too high on the wrist with a big gap under the angled sides. Try the quartz in a similar case and you can see how it should wear.

I agree that there’s no good reason for this, though display backs haven’t helped. Omega had the same issue for a while, making overly thick autos when they were perfectly capable of making thin watches in the 60s and 70s - though thankfully they’ve started to get it under control with the new Aqua Terra which is thinner and looks much better for it. GS urgently need to do the same (and have a think about their divers and chronos, and the colour of their champagne dials while they’re at it).

Tempted myself but a jump from 1.5k to 4k is a bit much for me. Maybe a vintage king seiko would do

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Yes, me too. I bought my 42mm Explorer 2 for my 40th and became a bit disillusioned that the dial was dark brown rather than black, I assume it had been sitting in the shop window long enough to fade slightly in the sun.
    That “Tropical” dial will be worth a fortune in a few years compared to a black one!!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That “Tropical” dial will be worth a fortune in a few years compared to a black one!!
    I did wonder about that. I'm resigned to the fact it will likely have more and more parts replaced as bits break and more bits get damaged during the repair process.

I really hope Duncan Potter will be able to service it for me when it comes to it, I don't want it going anywhere near Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Another thing that irritates me about Rolex purchasing; everything needs to be considered as investment and not for the enjoyment of owning and wearing a watch.

Another thing that irritates me about Rolex purchasing; everything needs to be considered as investment and not for the enjoyment of owning and wearing a watch.
    I bought it to keep and hopefully pass down to a child I've subsequently had. Value doesn't bother me because I won't sell it but being able to keep it original did. And now Rolex themselves have buggered that one up for me! I don't seem to hear of people having problems with GS (although didn't someone have a problem with their dial?) but maybe there just aren't as many of them on here as there are Rolex.

Mine says Kon'nichiwa :0)Attachment 12776

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Apologies to the OP for continuing the Rolex-related sidetrack.

I posted this on another thread recently, in response to a similarly sweeping statement.

I've worn my Explorer every day since I got it over two years ago. It's been a great watch, never missing a beat, never feeling inappropriate to wear for any given situation. I still get a sense of satisfaction looking at it, and remember the excitement of buying it, having lusted after it for a long, long time. Being able to strap it to my wrist (the right way around) and knowing it was mine, that I'd be able to wear it from then onward whenever I wanted to, was hard to believe but thrilling to contemplate. After babying it for the first few months, it received its first knock after I bumped it against a door while on holiday with my family. That mark now acts as a wonderful reminder of a great holiday, and every time I notice it I think about that holiday and how amazing it was that I was able to share my one-year old daughter's excitement about being away from home and the novelty of staying in a far away place, and all the fun we had together. They are memories I cherish as my daughter gets older, and the Explorer is bound up in them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    They are overpriced lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That is one of the finest watches produced by anyone and they deserve a great deal of respect for it. Sadly, I feel that the latest iteration does not look quite as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Mine says Kon'nichiwa :0)Attachment 12776

Is that Japanese for "out of focus" ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Is that Japanese for "out of focus" ?
    I thought he did a good job capturing the wrist hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    I thought he did a good job capturing the wrist hairs.
    It's the only pic I took that was small enough (file size wise) to be able to upload. All my other snaps were phenomenally good.. Honest ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

I posted this on another thread recently, in response to a similarly sweeping statement.

I've worn my Explorer every day since I got it over two years ago. It's been a great watch, never missing a beat, never feeling inappropriate to wear for any given situation. I still get a sense of satisfaction looking at it, and remember the excitement of buying it, having lusted after it for a long, long time. Being able to strap it to my wrist (the right way around) and knowing it was mine, that I'd be able to wear it from then onward whenever I wanted to, was hard to believe but thrilling to contemplate. After babying it for the first few months, it received its first knock after I bumped it against a door while on holiday with my family. That mark now acts as a wonderful reminder of a great holiday, and every time I notice it I think about that holiday and how amazing it was that I was able to share my one-year old daughter's excitement about being away from home and the novelty of staying in a far away place, and all the fun we had together. They are memories I cherish as my daughter gets older, and the Explorer is bound up in them.
    Listen mate, I think we may be in love with the same watch. Only difference is I haven't biffed her one yet.
    My explorer 1 is the best watch I ever bought. I used to rotate about 10 different watches. I haven't worn anything but the explorer apart from an SKX009 on a 10 day holiday, since October 2016.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

Congratulations? I think I'd rather look at photos of my holiday than a dent in my watch.