closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this normal?

Banned

Is this normal?

So I’ve set my heart on a Rolex, particularly 2 models. The OP 39mm or the Datejust 41 with rhodium dial. So instead of just wandering aimlessly into an AD and hoping they have the models in stock I have sent a few emails to the stores nearest to me. The one nearest to me replied earlier today, but the first reply I got was from Fraser Hart. They said they had both models in stock ( yes I’m so happy!!!) , but ....and here is the awkward bit.....they said if I wanted the watches saving to look at and purchase, I’d have to ring the store up , and pay a £1000 holding fee to stop anyone else buying them, but the £1000 would be non refundable. So basically I go to the AD, and if I try the Rolexes on and i don’t like them, basically it’s tough shit , I’ve lost a grand......that’s not normal surely ???
    The jewellers closer to me emailed me after and said they had the same models in stock and would hold them for free of charge, plus they would provide me with a bottle of champagne because I’m purchasing the Rolex for my birthday. So I think we all know which one I’m not going to!

Master
    I don't know these dealers, but I doubt that any Rolex AD would insist on a non-refundable £1000 deposit in the way you describe. Perhaps you misunderstood. On top of which, these watches are freely available at ADs. So why all the fuss? Just pop along and buy one. Easy.

Master
    It's normal not to hold watches that someone else wants to buy so that you can look at them later, and maybe buy.

It's not normal to offer to hold them for a grand - nonrefundable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I don't know these dealers, but I doubt that any Rolex AD would insist on a non-refundable £1000 deposit in the way you describe. Perhaps you misunderstood. On top of which, these watches are freely available at ADs. So why all the fuss? Just pop along and buy one. Easy.
    Just looked back at the email and it states they will hold it for me if I pay £1,000 over the phone but it won’t be refunded when I visit the store.....it’s madness

Master
    Calling BS on this. My local Fraser Hart asked me for a £100 deposit to hold a Rolex - all refundable. I could even return the watch for a full refund within 7 days if I wished (provided stickers on).

Is the OP another of those recent joiners making suspect posts?

Craftsman

Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rolex View Post
    Just looked back at the email and it states they will hold it for me if I pay £1,000 over the phone but it won’t be refunded when I visit the store.....it’s madness

When they say non refundable, it would probably mean the issue of a store credit to value of the deposit rather than just lossing £1k. Still not a particular nice practise from the AD but for them it is all about taking the money however they can get it and keeping it.

I’d just pop along to the AD when you can. If they sell the one they have they’ll be able to get another. There not difficult models to get.

I’d be asking them for some kind discount or free service thrown in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a scan of the e-mail in this thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    When they say non refundable, it would probably mean the issue of a store credit to value of the deposit rather than just lossing £1k. Still not a particular nice practise from the AD but for them it is all about taking the money however they can get it and keeping it.
    If they offer a store credit note, do not accept and demand cash, they cannot legally hold you to it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Calling BS on this. My local Fraser Hart asked me for a £100 deposit to hold a Rolex - all refundable. I could even return the watch for a full refund within 7 days if I wished (provided stickers on).

I agree, BS.

1K non refundabl, I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

When I first read the post I was going to ask 'But I thought you loved Pateks', but thought better of it just in case it wasn't that chap. But the yesterday join date, the desire for the same watches...hopefully I'm wrong.

Master
    There is no way a Rolex AD would do this, surely...?

Master
    That makes sense to me. The store would not necessarily know who you are. The deposit would be paid by card over the phone, so the refund would be returned the same way.

If this is true, it could be that the AD doesn’t want to hold the easily sold watches just in case for a random Joe Public might want to buy.

So instead of saying “no” they make you an offer they know you won’t take.

- - - Updated - - -

Show us the email

This is surely a wind up...

Stop feeding it FFS

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Post a scan of the e-mail in this thread.
    Killjoy.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    If they offer a store credit note, do not accept and demand cash, they cannot legally hold you to it
    Interesting legal point. What's the contract you've entered into when you give them 1,000 big ones on your card? I suppose you've paid £1,000 for an option to buy a watch at £1,000 discount. You don't exercise the option and they keep the cash. Is that outlawed by consumer legislation?

Very odd indeed, obviously. I've no informed view but wouldn't have thought the watches mentioned were that difficult to source.

Banned
    If I were you I would just wander aimlessly into an AD. They probably have the watch you want and they may very well be desperate to get rid of it. Pretend you want something hard to find and when the AD does not have it allow yourself to be persuaded to buy the watch you really want. Who knows, they may offer a discount to sweeten the deal. Don't muck around, and don't let them know what you really want unless you have to.

Grand Master
    OP's post reads like bullshit to me.

If he really is serious about buying either watch he'd simply get off his arse and visit the AD who has it in stock.

It's a simple concept: you turn up, inspect the watch, pay for it, and return home with it on your wrist. If someone's beaten you to it that's tough.

Why doesn`t he just do that instead of bleating on a forum? To quote the Nike T shirt......'Just do It'.......
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th February 2018 at 00:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If he really is serious about buying either watch he'd simply get off his arse and visit the AD who has it in stock.

It's a simple concept: you turn up, inspect the watch, pay for it, and return home with it on your wrist.

Why doesn`t he just do that instead of bleating on a forum? To quote the Nike T shirt......'Just do It'
    I went into Ernie Jones today they gave me a nice cup of tea and biscuits whilst showing me lots of the Tudor range.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

It's a simple concept: you turn up, inspect the watch, pay for it, and return home with it on your wrist. If someone's beaten you to it that's tough.

Why doesn`t he just do that instead of bleating on a forum? To quote the Nike T shirt......'Just do It'.......
    Just someone playing silly buggers setting up multiple usernames.

He even talks to himself by answering his own posts.

This "newbie" BS is getting annoying.
    Who is trying to be a funny guy here?
    Please quit.

Craftsman
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Never heard of a Rolex AD asking for such a deposit!

I know FH asked me for £100 refundable deposit to get a DD40 into my local branch to try on, I didn’t purchase and got refunded.

However I have recently been asked for a 20% non refundable deposit by a PP AD to go on a wait list.

It’s hard to work out if this is a troll or a child.

Master
    Is mrRolex best mates with pateklover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The invasion of the Russian troll posters continues ......

£1000 is an outrage. MrRolex should tell them to stuff it and choose a Grand Seiko instead, better in every way ( including customer service).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You really should have named yourself mrIhateRolex!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    £1000 is an outrage. MrRolex should tell them to stuff it and choose a Grand Seiko instead, better in every way ( including customer service).
    I'm just waiting for the "Grand Seiko wanted £3000 for me to look at a spring drive" thread.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    This is surely a wind up...
    Perpetual.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Interesting legal point. What's the contract you've entered into when you give them 1,000 big ones on your card? I suppose you've paid £1,000 for an option to buy a watch at £1,000 discount. You don't exercise the option and they keep the cash. Is that outlawed by consumer legislation?

Very odd indeed, obviously. I've no informed view but wouldn't have thought the watches mentioned were that difficult to source.
    It is slightly more complicated than that because when you are buying on a card your contract is effectively with the credit card company. Of course you might have a problem explaining to them why you were reckless spending £1000 for not very much.

As others have said this is either a misunderstanding or a wind up.

Pateklover and Mr Rolex share the same IP address and have only ever posted from this IP.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Pateklover and Mr Rolex share the same IP address and have only ever posted from this IP.

Eddie
    But does anyone else share this IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    But does anyone else share this IP address?
    No.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Eddie
    Thank you,Eddie.

Blog Entries

Eddie
    Good spot. What next Richmondlover?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

Legally, I wouldn’t know, but my thought is this. If the AD said they’d hold the watch for a non refundable deposit, you agree, then choose not to take the watch, they have upheld their part of the deal so the money is for services rendered

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Never heard of a Rolex AD asking for such a deposit!

I know FH asked me for £100 refundable deposit to get a DD40 into my local branch to try on, I didn’t purchase and got refunded.

However I have recently been asked for a 20% non refundable deposit by a PP AD to go on a wait list.
    PP I understand, weeds out the time wasters. PP buyers, even simply based on price would have thought things through before going ahead with the order, I’d imagine. Using my father as an example, took him 5+ years to finally decide he wanted a PPN.