closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Re-roofed house, didn't inform Building Regulations.. panic over!

Master

Re-roofed house, didn't inform Building Regulations.. panic over!

I had my house re-roofed a couple of years ago due to the old slates being a bit past their best, and a few leaks.

Had a few prices, picked a guy, had the job done and that was that. Went to a more modern interlocking tile type as it was his advice / recommendation that's what they typically fitted.

Two years on I'm looking to remortgage and following a question on a questionnaire I've read up about re-roofing and the need to involve Building Regulations if I get a re-roof.. and now I'm mortified I was completely unaware of this. It wasn't a deliberate attempt on my part to skirt any regulations - it was my first home, I was simply unaware / clueless about how it all worked, and assumed if there were formal regulations needing to be in place, the roofer would have told me this as I had said to him a couple of times I was new to home ownership.

However from a bit of research, my understanding is it's possible to pay a fee to the council and get them to come and review / approve the work (assuming it is indeed up to scratch) under some process called "regularisation" - I just wondered if that should, theoretically, be the end of it as this is a routine thing or whether I have more a lot hassle in my future. I guess it may depend on the council and what they find, somewhat?

Thanks in advance.

Regularisation is the way to go, (as with planning irregularities)
    I have an idea that after 4 years, regularisation cannot lead to an order to improve or re-do, so to speak
    happy to be corrected but I think this is the case.

Master
    Don’t know if this helps and I am sure someone with more experience will be along but my son has just gone through a similar thing. He erected quite a long and expensive fence across the front of his property and some kind person reported him to the council as it exceeded the permitted height by 10cms, he applied for retrospective planning permission which cost £170 and the council granted it. Cue red faced nosey neighbour.

Master
    Thanks. I just have to hope that the roofer I employed actually did a good job. So far it all seems to be holding up with no leaks or anything after a couple of years and still looks straight and not sinking / bowing after some snow we had recently.

I've reached out to the roofer in the first instance to make sure he's not a member of any sort of approved / trusted trade scheme (which can negate the need to get approval, apparently) but failing that I'll hit the council and see what steps need undertaking.

Lesson learned, and all that!

Craftsman
    Always best to check since if it comes up when you're in the process of selling at some time in the future it can cause delays getting all the paperwork in line. The council restrictions can be quite tight in some areas, in our street we are only allowed to replace windows with period sash and case frames and roofs are restricted to like for like replacements.

regards
    grant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRK View Post
    Always best to check since if it comes up when you're in the process of selling at some time in the future it can cause delays getting all the paperwork in line. The council restrictions can be quite tight in some areas, in our street we are only allowed to replace windows with period sash and case frames and roofs are restricted to like for like replacements.

regards
    grant
    Well the issue is I'm midway through remortgaging (changing lenders) and the questionnaire says "have you had any improvements / building work done, if so attach the planning information or building regulations documentation" - and I thought... hmm... a re-roof is a substantial piece of work, but beyond a reciept for the work, I have no such documentation. Oh **** :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I had my house re-roofed a couple of years ago due to the old slates being a bit past their best, and a few leaks.

Had a few prices, picked a guy, had the job done and that was that. Went to a more modern interlocking tile type as it was his advice / recommendation that's what they typically fitted.

Two years on I'm looking to remortgage and following a question on a questionnaire I've read up about re-roofing and the need to involve Building Regulations if I get a re-roof.. and now I'm mortified I was completely unaware of this. It wasn't a deliberate attempt on my part to skirt any regulations - it was my first home, I was simply unaware / clueless about how it all worked, and assumed if there were formal regulations needing to be in place, the roofer would have told me this as I had said to him a couple of times I was new to home ownership.

However from a bit of research, my understanding is it's possible to pay a fee to the council and get them to come and review / approve the work (assuming it is indeed up to scratch) under some process called "regularisation" - I just wondered if that should, theoretically, be the end of it as this is a routine thing or whether I have more a lot hassle in my future. I guess it may depend on the council and what they find, somewhat?

Thanks in advance.
    I would be surprised if you need BC for replacing like for like tiles as this is really maintenance. I may be wrong but the only reason I can see is if the weight of the new tiles are different to the existing then you would need to ensure the structure is suitable.
    If you were replacing structural elements like rafters it would be different as new roofs have more stringent controls including snow loadings and insulation requirements.
    You may have an issue with Planning permission if you change the appearance though

Master
    I went from flat slates to a more modern, ridged type interlocking tile that you see on a lot of terraced houses. Impossible to say about the weight difference but the old slates were fairly heavy. It's a pertinent point about rafters, etc though so that's my only concern with it all at this point.

I spoke to the council anyway and they seemed fairly unphased - cost is £181 for a regularisation survey for a roof and they can turn it around pretty quickly so.. will see what happens with it all I guess, and just hope they're happy with what they see.

they are probably redland49’s they weigh less than slate.

I went from flat slates to a more modern, ridged type interlocking tile that you see on a lot of terraced houses. Impossible to say about the weight difference but the old slates were fairly heavy. It's a pertinent point about rafters, etc though so that's my only concern with it all at this point.

I spoke to the council anyway and they seemed fairly unphased - cost is £181 for a regularisation survey for a roof and they can turn it around pretty quickly so.. will see what happens with it all I guess, and just hope they're happy with what they see.
    Tiles will be heavier than slates. I wouldn't over worry. Way back in time, some 20 yrs ago we used to have to add additional purlins when we replaced slate for tile but that was only for one local authority. The others we worked for didn't insist upon it.
    Just make the call and ask if you can sort it retrospectively.

Journeyman

IMHO
    If you haven't touched the original structure you have not re-roofed as your title suggests. You have replaced worn out tiles which is maintenance. The council/building control should be able to advise you of this before you spend any money. Although my recent dealings/communications with our local planning office/council beggars belief.

It depends on the scope of the work but my neighbours just built an extension and decided to have the main house roof replaced in the same tiles. The planning/building regs is to ensure that he complies with updated insulation regulations.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Had our roof slates replaced like for like London Borough still took £460 for Building Control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It depends on the scope of the work but my neighbours just built an extension and decided to have the main house roof replaced in the same tiles. The planning/building regs is to ensure that he complies with updated insulation regulations.

Eddie
    On the contrary to that Eddie, I build home extensions for my day job and often re-roof the main dwelling at the same time as adding more living space on and it's never been on my brief to up the ante regards insulation.
    I know we're in this "green, save the planet" age but I'm guessing different Local Authorities take different steps to implement it

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Had our roof slates replaced like for like London Borough still took £460 for Building Control.
    See my above comments regarding different Councils maybe ?

Master
    I am going through a similar process to you, OP. We have recently had a new roof/windows etc etc, but I was advised that only work such as extensions needed to be declared.

How is like-for-like replacement anything other than repair/maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I am going through a similar process to you, OP. We have recently had a new roof/windows etc etc, but I was advised that only work such as extensions needed to be declared.
    Windows alone either need to installed by a FENSA member or they'll have to be covered by a building notice if they are not going in under the umbrella of other major works ie. Extension build

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    See my above comments regarding different Councils maybe ?
    Perhaps a revenue generating wheeze. It was an NHBC replacement for non-compliance to required slate spec and original fixing. Makes you wonder what BC do. Took a fee for the original build and then the remedial work. I wonder what they actually controlled first time around and then second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    How is like-for-like replacement anything other than repair/maintenance?
    It's not like for like. It may be the same colour but the same fabric.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Having had a quick google they certainly look the same!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Perhaps a revenue generating wheeze. It was an NHBC replacement for non-compliance to required slate spec and original fixing. Makes you wonder what BC do. Took a fee for the original build and then the remedial work. I wonder what they actually controlled first time around and then second time around.

Yes, but this is different to what the OP has done. If a roof is non compliant at time of build I can understand it in your scenario.
    If you are only replacing tiles on a structure that was original compliant with building regs at the time of build afaiaa it does not need to be brought up to the latest building regs unless structural modifications are taking place or it is part of other significant works taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Yes, but this is different to what the OP has done. If a roof is non compliant at time of build I can understand it in your scenario.
    If you are only replacing tiles on a structure that was original compliant with building regs at the time of build afaiaa it does not need to be brought up to the latest building regs unless structural modifications are taking place or it is part of other significant works taking place.
    It was originally compliant or signed off as compliant at the time of build perhaps through negligence of the builder and inspector. It was retrospectively deemed to be non-compliant a number of years later following my pursuit, surveys, NDT. Building Control signed off at the time of build and took their fee and again after the remedial work and took another fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only issue I can see would be if the new tiles weighed more than the old ones as the timbers may need uprating

Is re- roofing when you replace the entire roof - not just the tiles?

To the above . ..
    Not strictly no. In the building game to say it's been re-roofed suggests it's had a re-tile.

To the above . ..
    Not strictly no. In the building game to say it's been re-roofed suggests it's had a re-tile.
    Thanks for clarifying. I assume the same is with flat roof and refelting then. Mums needs redoing soon, another fee to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Approx 12kg slates using 24 x 12s versus 17kg for 49s per metre weight differential

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    This is the case in my area, rushcliffe.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ects/47/roof/4
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

49's are heavier than slates so there is the worry whether the wooden supports are strong enough although most stuff was over engineered in the past so should be OK.

On my first house we replaced a leaky slate roof with 49's with no permission etc needed then.. but it was the 1970s.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thanks for bringing that back to my attention. It doesn't really make sense - what I wrote does it ?

It should have read "It's not like for like. It may be the same colour but not the same fabric".

If it were me I'd put in for 'Regulisation' to achieve Building Regulation Approval retrospectively. I know you can buy an indemnity insurance against improvements carried out without proper permission, but personally I'd rather know for certain it is safe, done well and legal.

As others have said, slates are a relatively light weight roof covering, but interlocking concrete tiles are pretty heavy. Its good that you cannot see any deflection, sag or spread. But I'd rather know the rafters, purlins, struts and ties are all adequate. You may need to employ a Structural Engineer to do some Calc's for you but it'll likely only be 1/2 days work to do a brief survey/measure and do some calc's.

As another thing, I'm not 100% sure but sometimes with jobs like this Building Control may hit you with 'Consequential Improvements' so if you re-cover the roof, they'd usually require you to bring the roof insulation up to the current 'U' Value standards (upgrade the insulation). Again, it's no bad thing as it'll possibly make the house more comfortable and save some money on your energy bills.

Hope this helps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    If it were me I'd put in for 'Regulisation' to achieve Building Regulation Approval retrospectively. I know you can buy an indemnity insurance against improvements carried out without proper permission, but personally I'd rather know for certain it is safe, done well and legal.

As others have said, slates are a relatively light weight roof covering, but interlocking concrete tiles are pretty heavy. Its good that you cannot see any deflection, sag or spread. But I'd rather know the rafters, purlins, struts and ties are all adequate. You may need to employ a Structural Engineer to do some Calc's for you but it'll likely only be 1/2 days work to do a brief survey/measure and do some calc's.

As another thing, I'm not 100% sure but sometimes with jobs like this Building Control may hit you with 'Consequential Improvements' so if you re-cover the roof, they'd usually require you to bring the roof insulation up to the current 'U' Value standards (upgrade the insulation). Again, it's no bad thing as it'll possibly make the house more comfortable and save some money on your energy bills.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers. The roof already had a good layer of insulation, and the installer fitted a waterproof membrane / lining as part of the new roof so I'm hoping it's all compliant - but as you say, the big question is about the structural side of things which is more the concern but you'd hope any roofer still in business (he's been around for quite a while and still in business) is doing work to a standard and knows what he's doing... but it's still under warranty so I would hope I have some recourse with the guy if they flag up any concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Regularisation is the way to go, (as with planning irregularities)
    I have an idea that after 4 years, regularisation cannot lead to an order to improve or re-do, so to speak
    happy to be corrected but I think this is the case.
    Spot on its no big deal we do it all the time. Notify your Local Building Control and start the process, your roofing contractor should have helped you with it. You'll get told off but that's all.

It sounds like you have increased the load on the roof by replacing the existing slate with a tile. To be fair, it is not a huge increase in loading, but Building Control will be 'within their rights' to ask for structural calculations to justify the existing structure for the new loads.

The retrospective structural design of an existing structural roof is notoriously difficult, particularly if the existing timbers in the roof are of an age where the timbers are not stamped with a strength classification. It may also be the case that the existing roof was not structurally designed when it was installed - like much of the older UK building stock, so proving its capacity to modern design standards may be tricky/not possible.

Tread very carefully with this one, as the actual Building Control officer involved will be key to nipping this in the bud swiftly - or not. Some are definitely more helpful than others and you need to find one who will take a pragmatic view on a minor alteration to an existing building.

They may also be interested to see the insulation/ventilation implications of the work too. If you have installed a breathable membrane, then you are half way there already, but may have some harder issues to overcome if a traditional bitumen based felt has been used.

HTH

The areas that I would want to be sure of are the loadings on the existing rafters and the thickness of insulation, as already mentioned above. I would also want to know what type of waterproof membrane has been used and what ventilation strategy has been followed. The number of times I have been asked to look at something that a 'decent builder' has bodged is beyond counting and roof refurbishments are a particular area of concern.

Master
    Well, a lot of worrying for nothing seemingly.

Guy from the local council came out today - looked at the house from the front, looked at the house from the back, went and stuck his head in the loft - and said he was perfectly satisfied with the work done and no problems issuing the necessary paperwork. Seemed more concerned whether I'd got a good amount of insulation in the loft, which I have.

On one hand I'm relieved, on the other I did expect probably a slightly more thorough inspection but he obviously had no concerns.

In terms of load on the roof, it's worth mentioning that my house is a pretty narrow old terraced house so there's really not THAT much roof! :)

Great news all round then. Put it to bed now eh?

Master
    Great news all round then. Put it to bed now eh?
    Hope so! Cheers.