closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recently purchased Rolex from AD (UK) warranty card question...

Master

Recently purchased Rolex from AD (UK) warranty card question...

Hello All,

Purchased a watch recently and was told by the AD that their card machines had just been upgraded so they were unable to swipe the warranty card there and then to register it. Was told they would need to call Rolex later to register manually...can someone tell me what this registration process involves, and how do I check that it has indeed been done!?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Hello All,

Purchased a watch recently and was told by the AD that their card machines had just been upgraded so they were unable to swipe the warranty card there and then to register it. Was told they would need to call Rolex later to register manually...can someone tell me what this registration process involves, and how do I check that it has indeed been done!?

Many thanks!
    Phone Rolex.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    They do swipe the cards normally. Yes check that it has been actioned.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just to close the loop on this one - should anybody be interested. Just called RSC and they say that it is a common misconception that the swiping of the card registers the watch to the owner. In fact, it just allows Rolex to see which store has which stock at any time - and when it is sold.

So as long as the guarantee card is in my possession then it is fine. They never record owner details when the card is swiped. (Makes sense when I think about it, as my name was written on the card manually in which format I chose!)

They also confirmed guarantee stays with the watch if sold - and owner name on the card is irrelevant.

As a side point, they did see the serial number was manually allocated away from the store on the day I purchased.

Craftsman
    Great info

Master
    The conspiracy theorists won’t take kindly to this information!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So you actually need to be in possession of the warranty card for the guarantee to be valid?

Blows the retained card debate out of the water.

AD's surely can't legally retain them then. You may be visitor buying the watch, don't know if you'll be going abroad in the near future, etc etc.

What are all the foreign buyers doing when they purchase a watch cheaply due to the current exchange rate to take home??

Confused.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    What are all the foreign buyers doing when they purchase a watch cheaply due to the current exchange rate to take home??

Confused.
    They have the choice not to buy it if they don’t like the terms...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    So you actually need to be in possession of the warranty card for the guarantee to be valid?

Confused.
    Plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum that warranty cards aren't always required when a watch is presented to Rolex.

Banned
    Does this card give the consumer anything he or she is not entitled to anyway according to the consumer rights act? If it does not it is just a useless trinket.

Master
    Are you trying to suggest that a five-year guarantee is offered under the Consumer Rights Act?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Are you trying to suggest that a five-year guarantee is offered under the Consumer Rights Act?
    Offered is not the right word. I think specified is better.

"Goods to be of satisfactory quality
    (1)Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the quality of the goods is satisfactory.
    (2)The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—
    (a)any description of the goods,
    (b)the price or other consideration for the goods (if relevant), and
    (c)all the other relevant circumstances (see subsection
    (5))."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...tion/9/enacted

Given the description, price and other relevant circumstances a reasonable person would expect a Rolex to work flawlessly for more than 5 years, as long as it is being used as the manufacturer intended (If it is not used as intended the Rolex guarantee would not apply either). That being the case a 5 year guarantee is in fact specified under the CSA and the card is in fact a useless trinket. Just keep it, because many people are uptight about "complete" sets.

Craftsman
    If I was spending that amount of money on a watch I would be uptight about a complete set.

Master
    Rolex are pretty reasonable; if you have the purchase receipt from a Rolex store, I think you will be fine, card or not.