closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need a bootable USB with OSX-Mavericks

Master

Need a bootable USB with OSX-Mavericks

it's a long story, but I have a late 2009 iMac running Mavericks OS and I want to do a clean install, but can't do this via the internet. While I have owned the machine for years it wasn't new when I got it and I can't install the OS using my Apple ID. It would seem that the only way around this is to create a bootable USB, but my next problem is that our only other MBPs are newer and won't allow the older OS to be downloaded. I can download only Sierra or High Sierra.
    Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Arrgh! just realised you are talking iMac sorry, i was wittering on about Mac Pro.
    still, head over to macrumors.com I'm sure the solution will be there.

do you know anyone with a mavericks set up? if someone here has it they could make a bootable thumb and post it to you. check macrumors forum for possible download locations too.

failing that you could always upgrade the firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 and install sierra or high sierra? my 2009 4,1 now runs 5,1 firmware and i have HS OS with no issues.
    http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,852.0.html
    the above should give you everything you need to know, its an easy process and takes minutes.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 19th February 2018 at 03:23. Reason: ID10T moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Thanks, but aren't those all just updates? If I'm doing a clean install don't I need the basic OSX?

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Thanks, but aren't those all just updates? If I'm doing a clean install don't I need the basic OSX?
    You're right. They are all updates. Looking into this further, Mavericks is not available to download from the Mac App Store. Apple appear to have removed it. Is there any reason why you can't just install Yosemite or later which are available on the App Store? The late 2009 iMac is supported in the latest High Sierra release or you could chose an earlier version if you want.

Edit: I've just discovered I can download Mavericks. To do it, do the following:

1. Open Mac App Store
    2. Click on Store menu and select View My Account
    3. Enter account password
    4. In the Hidden Items section, click on Manage
    5. Click on Unhide next to OS X Mavericks

You will now be able to download the installer. Once it's downloaded, follow the instructions at https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ap...s-x-mavericks/ to create a bootable USB stick.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 19th February 2018 at 12:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You're right. They are all updates. Looking into this further, Mavericks is not available to download from the Mac App Store. Apple appear to have removed it. Is there any reason why you can't just install Yosemite or later which are available on the App Store? The late 2009 iMac is supported in the latest High Sierra release or you could chose an earlier version if you want.

Edit: I've just discovered I can download Mavericks. To do it, do the following:

1. Open Mac App Store
    2. Click on Store menu and select View My Account
    3. Enter account password
    4. In the Hidden Items section, click on Manage
    5. Click on Unhide next to OS X Mavericks

You will now be able to download the installer. Once it's downloaded, follow the instructions at https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ap...s-x-mavericks/ to create a bootable USB stick.
    Unless I'm being really thick I think that won't work for me. It would appear that you can only download it if you had previously downloaded / purchased it. My problem is that I didn't ever have Mavericks on any other machine, so it's not available to me. I have two retail copies of Snow Leopard on discs and then our Macbooks are newer versions with El Capitan and Sierra. My concern here is that the iMac will end up being much slower with a newer operating system. Mavericks was runing great and, being cautious, I was intending to stick with what I know runs well.

Craftsman
    Hi,
    I suppose you can download it from a third party (torrent etc.). Bear in mind that there is always a risk the software you download from a third party might have been modified. You might be able to find cksum value of the file you download in the internet and compare with yours to guarantee that you have an unmodified software.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Unless I'm being really thick I think that won't work for me. It would appear that you can only download it if you had previously downloaded / purchased it. My problem is that I didn't ever have Mavericks on any other machine, so it's not available to me. I have two retail copies of Snow Leopard on discs and then our Macbooks are newer versions with El Capitan and Sierra. My concern here is that the iMac will end up being much slower with a newer operating system. Mavericks was runing great and, being cautious, I was intending to stick with what I know runs well.