closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple v Swiss

Master

Apple v Swiss

Apple Watch sales have overtaken the entire Swiss watch industry in the last 3 months. For 2017 Apple sold 18m whereas the Swiss sold 24 million . . . . However Oct to Dec - Apple sold 8m against 6.8 for the Swiss industry. They’ve been selling for 3 years as opposed to 500 years.

I actually find that quite sad. Okay I get their watches have numerous other functions but don’t like the look of them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I actually find that quite sad. Okay I get their watches have numerous other functions but don’t like the look of them at all.
    As you say, they've been selling watches for 3 years. I don't think it'll be long before they start designing watches that we do like the look of.

It'll almost certainly be before the established Swiss brands start producing decent smartwatches, which is a worry for the industry. I wonder if LVHM, Richemont, Rolex and Swatch have been buying Apple shares recently. Or will it be the other way around. Will Apple or Samsung acquire a Swiss brand.

Master
    How many apple watches have been repeat buyers? They're almost disposable. Totally different proposition to a Swiss watch IMO

Craftsman
    Been down the smart watch route, lasted a week and gave it to my Son!
    Apple may sell lots of smart watches but proper mechanical watches are here to stay I think.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I love my Apple Watch, haven’t worn any other watch since I got it.

Blog Entries
    Old news. Do keep up.

They're selling to the gadget market not the watch market.

Craftsman
    A watch is more than a phone on your wrist.

Master
    Apple sells because every let's say 2 years if not every year you have to change your smartwatch.
    Swiss watches are for decades if not for life.
    Last edited by adirian; 19th February 2018 at 13:57.

Master
    Apple watches are nothing more than small computing and communications devices which just happen to tell the time as a bye-product. They probably have a useful life of about 3 years. Depreciation is probably their foremost attribute. They should not be confused, or compared, with traditional dedicated precision mechanical timekeeping devises.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    They're selling to the gadget market not the watch market.
    It's the same market/audience. My brother-in-law has a Planet Ocean he's not worn since getting an Apple watch. Had the Apple not existed, he'd probably go on to buy more Swiss watches, but he sees the Omega as redundant now and will unlikely buy another mechanical piece again.

Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    Apple sells because every let's say 2 years if not every year you have to change your smartwatch.
    Swiss watches are for decades of not for life.
    I’d like to agree. However, not many on this site seem to keep a watch for long - and now it costs up to £500 to service a decent Swiss watch (which will no doubt climb as parts supply is restricted and mechanical watches get rarer) it’ll be cheaper to buy a new smart watch every few years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It's the same market/audience. My brother-in-law has a Planet Ocean he's not worn since getting an Apple watch. Had the Apple not existed, he'd probably go on to buy more Swiss watches, but he sees the Omega as redundant now and will unlikely buy another mechanical piece again.
    Several colleagues used the Apple watch for a while.
    They all came to the conclusion that it is a gadget. After a few weeks they ceased using it all the time. The functionality on a small screen is just not enough, a phone is better suited.

Now one colleague wears his once or twice every few weeks.
    The rest is back to wearing real watches...

That is my observation so far. Others might see different patterns. Interesting to see which way things will go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’d like to agree. However, not many on this site seem to keep a watch for long - and now it costs up to £500 to service a decent Swiss watch (which will no doubt climb as parts supply is restricted and mechanical watches get rarer) it’ll be cheaper to buy a new smart watch every few years!

Yes, the costs for a Rolex might be high but for a regular 2824-2 ETA the service is pretty cheap.
    I guess only time will tell how the watch/smartwatche industry will evolve.
    Last edited by adirian; 19th February 2018 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Several colleagues used the Apple watch for a while.
    They all came to the conclusion that it is a gadget. After a few weeks they ceased using it all the time. The functionality on a small screen is just not enough, a phone is better suited.

Now one colleague wears his once or twice every few weeks.
    The rest is back to wearing real watches...

That is my observation so far. Others might see different patterns. Interesting to see which way things will go.
    I've seen the same, and that's working in a place where its super techy tech.
    lots of apple watches initially popped up, and then the fad passed.

I'll admit, i have one that i bought in the JL sale, used for about a day if that on my other wrist, and came to the same conclusion that it was functionally limited and its not exactly a hardship to reach for the phone in my pocket.

Craftsman
    I'd be tempted to get an Apple Watch but they are just so ugly I can't.

Craftsman
    Although both are in the watch sector, they are in two different segments. Apple watches are about usability & practicality - they are a tool. Swiss watches are jewellery and about fashion, status and workmanship.

Journeyman
    I wonder how many Apple Watch owners will still have their watches in 20 years time.

In my opinion Apple Watch is just a gadget which sooner or later will be replaced by another.

Master
    The Oct to Dec will inevitably include Christmas presents, which will favour Apple over a “real watch” I would hazard a guess that once the early adopters have bought used trashed their Aplle watch then the consumption will stabilise and reduce.

Quote Originally Posted by vadiro View Post
    I wonder how many Apple Watch owners will still have their watches in 20 years time.
    None, they’ll be on their tenth (at least).

In my opinion Apple Watch is just a gadget which sooner or later will be replaced by another.
    Exactly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Apple watches are nothing more than small computing and communications devices which just happen to tell the time as a bye-product. They probably have a useful life of about 3 years. Depreciation is probably their foremost attribute. They should not be confused, or compared, with traditional dedicated precision mechanical timekeeping devises.
    I think what you say will remain true for a while, but there will come a point when manufacturers will be able to put so much processing power into a smartwatch that for it to cease to be a factor in obsolescence. It's bound to happen I think, the same it did with laptops - most people nowadays buy new ones because they want something new, not because they can no longer run the software they want. I have no idea what the (smart)watch market will be like by then though.

Look at the wrists of under 25’s. They either don’t wear watches, or wear Apple watches with a smattering of retro Casio digitals amongst them. I honestly don’t think an automatic Swiss Watch is something they’re even vaguely interested in

Master
    Look at the wrists of under 25’s. They either don’t wear watches, or wear Apple watches with a smattering of retro Casio digitals amongst them. I honestly don’t think an automatic Swiss Watch is something they’re even vaguely interested in

Neither did I, until I got to 25 and bought a Sub Date.

Under 25’s as a demographic for the future of Swiss watches it a terrible choice. Above all else they are the least likely to have the disposable income, or credit rating to make such a luxury purchase

Youngest fella' here is 24.
    He wears a Rolex DJ.

His brother sports a VJ 7750 Hamilton or Tissot IIRC.

Just a gimmick unlike a true Swiss watch...

Grand Master
    Apple watches are a gadget, limited shelf life so how many they sell is defunct as within 2-3 years they are in a drawer anyway and new ones out plus an ever depreciating asset.

The one to watch out for is iStrap! Remember you heard it here first
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Neither did I, until I got to 25 and bought a Sub Date.

Under 25’s as a demographic for the future of Swiss watches it a terrible choice. Above all else they are the least likely to have the disposable income, or credit rating to make such a luxury purchase
    I bought a 5513 submariner at 18 with my first commission cheque. 30 years later I no longer own a Rolex, and rather like the idea of the Apple Watch - so we’re all different!
    I’m not sure this forum is a great litmus test for your average youngster - those young guns in the city will still covet a Rolex - but I’m not sure they’re average!

Those who buy an Apple Watch are probably not the same people who buy Swiss watches. So I am not sure if smartwatches really hit traditional watch sales.