closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lidl Ribeye steaks

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    And how many would tell the truth? You'd be amazed at the number who are buying in vacuum sealed rubbish from Ireland, lamb from NZ etc, and being less than economical with the truth. You've already suggested that Lidl misrepresented their product, why wouldn't that also happen in a "local" butchers? There's a lot more traceability for a supermarket than a small family shop. The first place I worked would occasionally buy half priceless of lamb from the supermarket and then sell it at their own regular price. Local does not always mean better.
    I'm not suggesting picking a butcher at random. Go to a decent one. Sounds like your talking about some dodgy discount meat market there.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    And so you trust them more than a supermarket that states that their meat comes from sustainable sources which is farm and RSPCA assured..... What's the difference?
    Where did I say that? You asked about the butcher and I answered.

As said above, I believe that product quality is by and large identical between the different supermarket chains (even though Lidl has been caught mislabelling fairtrade products). But buying from a butcher will usually mean you buy locally produced meat which contains less water.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    I'm not suggesting picking a butcher at random. Go to a decent one. Sounds like your talking about some dodgy discount meat market there.
    They supplied the majority of the London Michelin star restaurants, the fat duck etc. I was the one sent to Sainsbury's to load up my car with the things.

Companies cut corners at times unfortunately. Money can have that effect.
    Last edited by hafle; 24th February 2018 at 19:33.

They supplied the majority of the London Michelin star restaurants, the fat dick etc. I was the one sent to Sainsbury's to load up my car with the things.

:Banghead:
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The fat dick? Interesting lapsus.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Got to love touch keyboards :)

I had a damson that became a damsel earlier today so not throwing a stone
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

They supplied the majority of the London Michelin star restaurants, the fat duck etc. I was the one sent to Sainsbury's to load up my car with the things.

God bless London

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    God bless London
    It was actually based in the countryside not far south of Bristol. When I started off there it was all fantastic stuff, we sold beef from cows who'd stand at an arms reach out of the back door of the place. It wasn't too long after the financial crisis that they started buying in stockmans vac-packed sirloins etc, but still told customers and clients it was the local stuff. I'm not saying that all butchers are like this, but my experience suggests that simply asking them doesn't guarantee anything. And neither does price, what with M&S getting their chicken from the same place as Lidl and Aldi, but selling it at probably twice the price.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wouldn't say I'm a steak expert but I know a good steak when I've had one. The ribeyes from lidl are as equally as good as any butchers and better than most supermarkets I've purchased from.
    Just because it's cheaper doesn't instantly mean is lower quality or that the animals were abused before slaughtering. If I walked in to my local butchers my first question in my head would be how much are those steaks and not I wondered where this meat came from.....sorry!
    I assume if I purchased from a butchers the meat would be good quality etc and I assume likewise if purchasing from a supermarket. If you're happy paying 2-3 times the amount on the perceived assumption that you're meat is far better quality then good for you. I know where my money is after sampling Lidls finest last weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm a steak expert but I know a good steak when I've had one. The ribeyes from lidl are as equally as good as any butchers and better than most supermarkets I've purchased from.
    Just because it's cheaper doesn't instantly mean is lower quality or that the animals were abused before slaughtering. If I walked in to my local butchers my first question in my head would be how much are those steaks and not I wondered where this meat came from.....sorry!
    I assume if I purchased from a butchers the meat would be good quality etc and I assume likewise if purchasing from a supermarket. If you're happy paying 2-3 times the amount on the perceived assumption that you're meat is far better quality then good for you. I know where my money is after sampling Lidls finest last weekend.
    Maybe it varies from Lidl to Lidl as we tried a couple of ribeyes tonight and they were nowhere as good as the local farm shop or Costco but then again were considerably cheaper.

Craftsman
    We have a really good butcher close by. We’ve been going there for 30 years so they know exactly what we like - and we know exactly where the meat comes from. Wouldn’t dream of buying from a supermarket.

Craftsman
    Thanks OP, absolutely gorgeous even the wife approved. Just put my daughter to bed while the boss clears up the carnage I created in the kitchen.

Master
    We tried a couple the other day and were very surprised at how good they were. Certainly much better than Morrison’s which is our other local supermarket. Thanks OP.

Craftsman
    Booze in Aldi and Lidl is always a bargain, some very good choices if you know what you are looking for.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I gave a couple of the steaks a whirl earlier in the week. They were not bad tbh although I have certainly had better,albeit much more expensive,steaks.

I tried these last night. Aldi was the nearest supermarket I could be bothered to walk to in snowmageddon. Pleasantly surprised, good balance of meat and fat as any proper ribeye should have. I will definitely be getting some more. Turner&George do a cracking steak seasoning which was perfect on them. Thanks for the tip op.
    J

Master
    Some butchers are little more than franchises meat sellers.

One I used to use, will sell me brisket at £15/kilo...should be £5. I questioned his price & he told me it was ‘especially tender’ brisket - unless you’ve managed to engineer your own cows, it will need cooking properly to make it such.

Then tried another one to buy a full packer brisket (point and flat together, from a cryovac, just as it comes from the slaughterhouse). This one can only sell it to me ‘rolled’. I ask him to not roll it, so nothing with it apart from sell me the packer - he stated they come in rolled, so he’s just a retailer, not a real butcher.

You can see why butcher declines happened over the years. Annoyingly a school friend who is a farmer opened a great butchers in frome last year. Alas, it’s a 3hr round trip for me to go there!

Craftsman
    Pick up last packet of ribeye in Reading newly open Lidl.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

You can see why butcher declines happened over the years. Annoyingly a school friend who is a farmer opened a great butchers in frome last year. Alas, it’s a 3hr round trip for me to go there!
    Do you happen to know the name of the butchers? I'm not too far from there, and the ones local to me are rather lacking in quality (they are as you say, more retailers than people with quarter of a cow in the walkin who can cut your joint to order)

- - - Updated - - -

Do you happen to know the name of the butchers? I'm not too far from there, and the ones local to me are rather lacking in quality (they are as you say, more retailers than people with quarter of a cow in the walkin who can cut your joint to order)

When we moved to Norfolk 2 years ago we were a bit worried that all we had in town was an Aldi, Lidl and Morrison’s. No Sainsbury’s, nearest Waitrose is 20 miles away! - we needn’t have worried, we do almost all our shopping from Aldi, bread and cakes from Lidl and the off thing from Morrison’s. Our local butcher is good, but not open until 10pm which is why I tried the Aldi ribeye when I spotted them reduced one evening on the way back from work. I just don’t get food snobbery at all - I used to be Waitrose this, M&S that - but I’m shocked at their prices for often inferior products compared to Aldi and Lidl - our shopping costs for a family of 4 are considerably longer wet than they were in the past, and a lot of the Aldi and Lidl produce is labelled as locally grown in Norfolk which is an added bonus, and probably explains the freshness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have bought both Ribeye and Fillet steak from Lidl and they great for the money. I would prefer them to be a little thicker, however for value for money they are spot on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Pick up last packet of ribeye in Reading newly open Lidl.

My wife over cooked them that’s the last time I’m ever letting her near the griddle.

I've not tried their ribeye but the Lidl fillet steak is excellent.

Master

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, it’s Penleigh Farm Butchers, they’re on Stony St.

I had RibEye from Aldi last night.... yum yum

Master
    Hi, it’s Penleigh Farm Butchers, they’re on Stony St.

Thanks for that.

Content with Lidl.

Popped in to the new Swindon shop this afternoon. Came out with more than expected but drew the line at the pillar drill

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Where did I say that? You asked about the butcher and I answered.

As said above, I believe that product quality is by and large identical between the different supermarket chains (even though Lidl has been caught mislabelling fairtrade products). But buying from a butcher will usually mean you buy locally produced meat which contains less water.

I know what you are saying, and I do like to support local business, but sadly our local butcher can charge like a wounded buffalo. The meats although very good, is at least twice the price of supermarket/Costco, and frankly not appreciably better.

Costco butchery boasts UK reared, Uk Slaughtered meat - and I have had every cut possible, and even they large rib of beef for Christmas. I just cannot fault it.

Lidl’s Aberdeen Angus Lean Diced Beef Steak is very good as well!
    Ribeye Steaks melts in your mouth..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Food snobbery is not cool.
    Yup, give me some decent street food over a flash restaurant any day.