closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lidl Ribeye steaks

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I tried some Korean meatballs from Lidl. They were the dogs bollocks. No, really, they WERE the dogs bollocks.....
    LOL!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ditto on the batteries - never knew that!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    A fella working at our local Costco told me Kirkland vodka is Grey Goose. Not a connoisseur of vodka but it tasted right enough

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    A fella working at our local Costco told me Kirkland vodka is Grey Goose. Not a connoisseur of vodka but it tasted right enough
    It isn't but uses the same water source with different distilleries afaik.

Interesting that Kirkland batteries are supposed to be Duracell. The Duracell AA packs I got from there were the single worse ever and I will never buy them again. Though a fair few years back now. In almost all cases they leaked inside the units using them. Luckily I was able to clean the leak up and nothing suffered unduly. I've pretty much never had batteries leak before.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    It isn't but uses the same water source with different distilleries afaik.

Interesting that Kirkland batteries are supposed to be Duracell. The Duracell AA packs I got from there were the single worse ever and I will never buy them again. Though a fair few years back now. In almost all cases they leaked inside the units using them. Luckily I was able to clean the leak up and nothing suffered unduly. I've pretty much never had batteries leak before.
    All Duracell batteries aren't the same. For just AA size, there's at least 3 different ranges.

Master

Lidl Ribeye steaks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I didn't detect any difference from freezing unseasoned but I only sear once, post sous-vide which might make a difference.

If it does have an impact I'd say t would be very minor and it suites us to be able to chuck a couple in frozen and go out for a few hours and not worry on time.

I'd suggest giving a couple a try and see if it differs significantly?
    Cheers, as a bit of a geek and a food technologist in a previous career, can see me having a few done as an experiment!

I really like the difference the pre-sear makes. If I’ve got a fresh steak, will bung it in the freezer for 20mins to really chill it down & prevent too much cooking. Then sear, back into the freezer to stop cooking and then seal, vide, and sear.

Off topic, but have you tried a lump of roasting beef, using sousvide? Cheap piece of meat, and comes out as tender as chateaubriand.

Craftsman
    Normally shop at Tesco so go into Aldi to see what all the fuss is about and get some so called cheap food. Come out with a compressor with accessories, some camping gear and an orthopedic pillow.

Blog Entries
    I need to get vac packing and sous videing…

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Normally shop at Tesco so go into Aldi to see what all the fuss is about and get some so called cheap food. Come out with a compressor with accessories, some camping gear and an orthopedic pillow.
    Yeah it’s mad. I went in for milk and bread and came out with a chainsaw and some enamel paint. Was half tempted to let the bread go really stale so I could use the chainsaw. How it’s legal for dicks like me to buy a chainsaw I’ll never know.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s great

last time I left with WD40,neoprene fishing gloves and a dab car radio thingy.

Craftsman
    Yes,I too know this effect.
    A set of small files for fine mechanical filing (what else?) was purchased by me and if I see a multitool with accessories in either Aldi or Lidl I really do have to fight temptation.
    I'm not even sure what to do with a multitool but I just feel I should really have one

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went in Aldi today bought some rib eye steaks [influenced by the op],a massive tray of wood screws and this clock.

It’s huge

Craftsman
    Talking of coming out with something you didn't go in for. My fishing buddy is always buying ad hoc junk from Aldi. Usually turns out to be rubbish from what I've witnessed. ie: He turned up on our fly fishing boat with a new landing net. I hooked a 2lb fish and as soon as we had it in the net the handle broke and the net collapsed. Next time out he arrived with a 'fish finder', some kind of sonar device - absolute joke - it was soon in the bin.

Maybe their food is good value but I won't be there anytime soon. "Buy cheap, buy twice" so no more

I had a Lidl steak tonight. Lovely!

I bought the aged fillet steak from Lidl a while back and it reminded me of all the excellent steaks I had in the US. It is one of the best steaks I think and have it regularly. As it is thicker than the other steaks it it makes it easier if you like rare steak,

Sainsburys in town, bag of Arabica beans £3
    Tescos in the village, bag of Robusta beans same size £3.90
    Aldi and Lidl, big bag of Arabica beans £2

Their hand-sitting, laurel-resting days are numbered.

How can the neat be sustainable and with animal welfare front of mind if it's so cheap? Does the packaging articulate the breed, farmer etc?

Just chomped this!
    Everything the OP said it would be!IMG_1757.JPG

Master
    I've found Aldi and Lidl to be good for wine and beers, too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    I've found Aldi and Lidl to be good for wine and beers, too.
    The quality of the wines available at Aldi is very good. I read some time back that their wine buyers are highly regarded.
    Their Oliver Cromwell gin is very good too.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We’ve got a Lidl opening in our town next week. Never really shopped in Lidl but it should give our local Sainsbury (the only supermarket in town) a kick up the arse - they were getting so expensive it really was cheaper to shop at M&S or Waitrose down the road a bit. Already Sainsbury have had their car park done up and refreshed the whole store. Trouble is, I can’t find sod all in there quickly now as they’ve moved it all about.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    The quality of the wines available at Aldi is very good. I read some time back that their wine buyers are highly regarded.
    Their Oliver Cromwell gin is very good too.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    Their Argentinian Malbec is lovely with one of their Ribeyes!

On the strength of this thread, I am making a detour to Lidl this afternoon for some steaks.
    I also noticed on their website that it is Italian week, so I will probably pick up one of their antipasti platters to nibble on whilst in the kitchen and a bottle of their Baileys equivalent, SWMBO likes the Aldi one, but has heard good reviews about Lidl's.

I have tried quite a few of Aldis wines, with mixed results. What are the wines like in Lidl? You cant beat a good Malbec with steak, so I will give the Aldi one a try unless anyone can recommend a decent red from Lidl?

Can’t fault Lidl

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    On the strength of this thread, I am making a detour to Lidl this afternoon for some steaks.
    I also noticed on their website that it is Italian week, so I will probably pick up one of their antipasti platters to nibble on whilst in the kitchen and a bottle of their Baileys equivalent, SWMBO likes the Aldi one, but has heard good reviews about Lidl's.

I have tried quite a few of Aldis wines, with mixed results. What are the wines like in Lidl? You cant beat a good Malbec with steak, so I will give the Aldi one a try unless anyone can recommend a decent red from Lidl?
    One thing I would fault Lidl and Aldi on is the quality of their cured meat platters. They have always been disappointing for me. I'd rather spend a couple of quid extra for the Waitrose selections. It's the only thing I can fault Lidl and Aldi on, at least out of everything else I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    One thing I would fault Lidl and Aldi on is the quality of their cured meat platters. They have always been disappointing for me. I'd rather spend a couple of quid extra for the Waitrose selections. It's the only thing I can fault Lidl and Aldi on, at least out of everything else I've tried.
    Noted, thanks for the heads up, although the one I spotted on their website wasn't a meat one, it was sun dried tomatoes, artichoke etc. I will swing by somewhere else for a few slices of salami and Parma ham.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Cheers, as a bit of a geek and a food technologist in a previous career, can see me having a few done as an experiment!

I really like the difference the pre-sear makes. If I’ve got a fresh steak, will bung it in the freezer for 20mins to really chill it down & prevent too much cooking. Then sear, back into the freezer to stop cooking and then seal, vide, and sear.

Off topic, but have you tried a lump of roasting beef, using sousvide? Cheap piece of meat, and comes out as tender as chateaubriand.

Not tried it with a cheap cut yet, what we have done is use Sirloin in as a joint and that comes out really well, though if it’s summer I think it’s better on the smoker.

I might give it a go this Sunday.

I have done pulled pork in the SV with a dry rub for 24 hours before cooking low for 24-36 and finishing in the oven for a hour or so to get the bark, that’s great.

Get to your local butchers and buy meat with provenance rather than pumped full of rubbish.

Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Get to your local butchers and buy meat with provenance rather than pumped full of rubbish.

Simple.
    ^ ^ This

If meat is so cheap, it's largely because of cost cutting in animal welfare. Lidl has already been pulled up for using a supplier that was found to treat the chickens it was producing in a very inhumane and cruel manner.

I must admit to being somewhat taken aback at the focus on this thread on the low cost with no mention of welfare and provenance. Maybe I'm just being grumpy but I sincerely hope people here aren't buying meat with price being the key factor.

Lidl beef is rspca and UK Food assured and in the case of ribeye comes from certified Hereford cattle.

Im happy as far as I can be and no more than I would be buying my meat over the butchers counter, that the welfare of the animal was as good as any other sourced meat.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 24th February 2018 at 10:50.

I think it’s more complicated than just saying low cost must mean ethically bad meat, hearing how Tesco treat their suppliers I am more inclined to trust Aldi / Lidl for not trying to squeeze profit out of products and suppliers.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think it’s more complicated than just saying low cost must mean ethically bad meat, hearing how Tesco treat their suppliers I am more inclined to trust Aldi / Lidl for not trying to squeeze profit out of products and suppliers.
    Lidl and Aldi are not squeezing profits? You got to be joking, the Albrecht brothers (owners of Aldi) were the richest Germans for decades, but have recently been out-riched by Lidl owner Schwarz. Their poor treatment of staff and contempt for workers' rights is the stuff of legends.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Lidl and Aldi are not squeezing profits? You got to be joking, the Albrecht brothers (owners of Aldi) were the richest Germans for decades, but have recently been out-riched by Lidl owner Schwarz. Their poor treatment of staff and contempt for workers' rights is the stuff of legends.
    Lidl pay for Shop Assistants is one of the highest in UK.

Of course they are, that’s what companies do, my post does suggest I was implying otherwise, apologies, I was trying to point out that they can deliver good quality product at less than the competition ( Tesco) and the low price doesn’t always mean low quality.

Lidl Ribeye steaks

Do all people in here work for charities? Or profit making companies?

Of course they are, that’s what companies do, my post does suggest I was implying otherwise, apologies, I was trying to point out that they can deliver good quality product at less than the competition ( Tesco) and the low price doesn’t always mean low quality.
    They can offer low prices because they offer less products than the competion, because they buy huge quantities and because they squeeze their suppliers as well as their staff. Not exactly a charity.

As to the quality of their products, there have been some tests on German telly and the conclusion was that their products are neither better nor worse than their competition's.

They can offer low prices because they offer less products than the competion, because they buy huge quantities and because they squeeze their suppliers as well as their staff. Not exactly a charity.

As to the quality of their products, there have been some tests on German telly and the conclusion was that their products are neither better nor worse than their competition's.
    I agree, that’s their business model and it works well, my comments were really to Ryan who was saying because they are cheap they may be non ethical farming or poor quality, and that a high price implies the opposite, I wasn’t even claiming the quality was better, as if as you say the German tests show they are no better or worse then the fact that they less expensive than the competition would imply that they are good value.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I agree, that’s their business model and it works well, my comments were really to Ryan who was saying because they are cheap they may be non ethical farming or poor quality, and that a high price implies the opposite, I wasn’t even claiming the quality was better, as if as you say the German tests show they are no better or worse then the fact that they less expensive than the competition would imply that they are good value.
    Well, you said they weren't squeezing their suppliers, when in fact that is something they have developed to perfection. They have also been caught marketing goods as "fairtrade" which were everything but; and have been continuously in the headlines for poor treatment of their staff, infringing on consumer rights and poor safety and hygenical standards in their stores.

I don't shop at Lidl, nor at Aldi.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lidl and Aldi.
    I used to be a shopping snob but have since been converted.

Food snobbery is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lidl and Aldi.
    I used to be a shopping snob but have since been converted.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    It's not food snobbery on my part - it's about ethical standards.

Wasn’t directed at you Raffe.

It's not food snobbery on my part - it's about ethical standards.
    How do you know as a consumer that ethically one retailer is worse than another?
    Its not as if any of them have showered themselves in glory over the past 10 years.
    I would suspect in most cases that's not the reason why somebody doesn't use Lidl/Aldi and put it down simply to not wanting to rub shoulders with the great unwashed.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    It's not food snobbery to suggest using local butchers with meat from local farms that has been hung and aged properly. Supermarkets by their very nature supply inferior meat. Economies of scale and low costs aren't really my driving aim when it comes to food. It's a popular misconception that butchers are more expensive than supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    It's not food snobbery to suggest using local butchers with meat from local farms that has been hung and aged properly. Supermarkets by their very nature supply inferior meat. Economies of scale and low costs aren't really my driving aim when it comes to food. It's a popular misconception that butchers are more expensive than supermarkets.
    They are more expensive than supermarkets, how do you know where your butcher meat has come from?

They are more expensive than supermarkets, how do you know where your butcher meat has come from?
    Ask them, they are able to tell you for every single cut they sell.

Ask them, they are able to tell you for every single cut they sell.
    And so you trust them more than a supermarket that states that their meat comes from sustainable sources which is farm and RSPCA assured..... What's the difference?

I'm good friends with him and he supplies pretty much all of the restaurants of merit in Manchester and most of the North West.
    If you ask any decent butcher they will tell you. Rather than supermarkets with made up mass produce farm names.
    When in doubt, just ask.....

Cost wise it's not much difference at all. Bacon is comparable but not pumped full of water. Sausages slightly dearer but made in house. I could go on but it's a pointless argument as some people just love Supermarkets.

Master
    And how many would tell the truth? You'd be amazed at the number who are buying in vacuum sealed rubbish from Ireland, lamb from NZ etc, and being less than economical with the truth. You've already suggested that Lidl misrepresented their product, why wouldn't that also happen in a "local" butchers? There's a lot more traceability for a supermarket than a small family shop. The first place I worked would occasionally buy half priceless of lamb from the supermarket and then sell it at their own regular price. Local does not always mean better.

And so you trust them more than a supermarket that states that their meat comes from sustainable sources which is farm and RSPCA assured..... What's the difference?
    Well Supermarkets are always legit aren't they. Horse in your lasagne anyone?