closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lidl Ribeye steaks

Lidl Ribeye steaks

Just whipped in there on the way home to get some milk and the ribeyes were winking at me. I've walked past them many a time and thought, huh maybe.
    Now I realise I may be preaching to the choir here but if you haven't tried these yet and you like your steaks you've got to give them a try.
    Nice hot pan, salt and pepper-straight in for 2 mintires a side.
    OMFG....probably one of the nicest steak I've ever had (without blowing my own trumpet)
    Under a fiver for the 2- You can not lose!!

FFF

Master
    Thanks for the tip. I've been quite impressed by the Aldi Aberdeen Angus for a similar price

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The pies are also good and the big bottles of orange juice.

The fresh bakery stuff is very good for very little money.

Think I’ll need to pick up some steaks next time I go in for some croissants.

Journeyman
    Yep - got a lot of time for Lild's steak. I am informed by my farming neighbour that their British meat is also one of the easiest to track in the UK in terms of where it comes from so that's gotta be a bonus. The fact it is so cheap is also very handy.

All I want now is for Lidl to accept Amex, now that Aldi has, I reckon it is only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Yeh bakery is superb 100% agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Their fresh soda bread is so good.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by daveholja View Post
    Yep - got a lot of time for Lild's steak. I am informed by my farming neighbour that their British meat is also one of the easiest to track in the UK in terms of where it comes from so that's gotta be a bonus. The fact it is so cheap is also very handy.

All I want now is for Lidl to accept Amex, now that Aldi has, I reckon it is only a matter of time.
    We also popped in to M&S and a very similar packed twin pack was over £8. Never had them from there but is there really any difference?

We only ever go to Lidl or Waitrose now,it seems, we don't bother with the middling ones who seem to have neither the quality or the low prices.
    Lidl bakery far and away better than Waitrose, I have to say
    bonus is it feels like you're on holiday when you go there!
    going to try the Rib-eye this week after the recommendation

Craftsman
    100% agree on the ribeye. They're very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Noted :)

Would try but cannot fault Aldi steaks. Sure this is the equal. I guess UK supermarkets are now a long way behind in terms of cost and quality, my local butcher is still damn fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Most of the Lidl meat products are pretty good.
    Try to start Saturdays and Sundays with Lidl bacon...just saying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2 minutes a side?
    Like it rare I take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    2 minutes a side?
    Like it rare I take it!
    Yeh spot on but next time I'd probably go 1:30 a side.

Blog Entries
    Good Rib-Eye and Soda Bread, I must try these! Thanks for the heads-up gentlemen.

To add to the pot, Costco are currently selling Ford Farm ‘Truffler’ English Cheddar blended with the Finest Black Truffles, it is absolutely mouth wateringly gorgeous!!! Thinly sliced on a few Bath Olivers will make your eyes roll!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Good Rib-Eye and Soda Bread, I must try these! Thanks for the heads-up gentlemen.

To add to the pot, Costco are currently selling Ford Farm ‘Truffler’ English Cheddar blended with the Finest Black Truffles, it is absolutely mouth wateringly gorgeous!!! Thinly sliced on a few Bath Olivers will make your eyes roll!
    Soumds like it's perfect to stuff in to the top of the horse mushrooms I did with it!
    Balls I'm hungry again mow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Sounds like it's perfect to stuff in to the top of the horse mushrooms I did with it!
    Balls I'm hungry again mow!
    Now you have my mouth watering! A glass or two of decent port would do this no harm if you can live with mouthfuls of delightful flavours!!!

Shame, no soda bread at ours.

Craftsman
    Rib eye steak for lunch then out on the seas in my ribeye for some fun.

https://www.ribeye.co.uk/

Craftsman
    We had ribeye from Aldi yesterday , 4.5 each thought it was fantastic

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Would try but cannot fault Aldi steaks. Sure this is the equal. I guess UK supermarkets are now a long way behind in terms of cost and quality, my local butcher is still damn fine though.

ALDI steaks are good, but their “Big Boy” steak is almost of chateaubriand dimensions! It does fantastically on a closed-lid BBQ, and sliced once cooked. Does 2-3 people for just under £5.

Journeyman
    As well as their bread and Meat selections, Lidl / Aldi's knock-off cereal copies are also on point. 89p for 500g of Shreddies, sorry Malt Wheaties is fantastic and taste just the same.

Master
    We also popped in to M&S and a very similar packed twin pack was over £8. Never had them from there but is there really any difference?
    Given Lidl and M&S get their chicken from the same place, I doubt it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Given Lidl and M&S get their chicken from the same place, I doubt it.
    Handy to know.

I've never been disappointed with the aged steaks from Aldi. In fact, it's the only supermarket I'll buy a steak from.
    The fish from Lidl and Aldi is also very good.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Bigboy steak is an interesting one, not tried it, but will.

My challenge with their bread is that I love it, my weight does not. I am a bread addict, can easily polish off a Waitrose grande pain in a weekend of just grazing - only way for me to survive is not having it in the house. Add the Lidl Rye bread and I’m just in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Love a good steak so thanks for the heads up.

Master
    As well as their bread and Meat selections, Lidl / Aldi's knock-off cereal copies are also on point. 89p for 500g of Shreddies, sorry Malt Wheaties is fantastic and taste just the same.
    Used to be a cereal buyer for a large supermarket. Often the PL is the same as the brand, from the same line, with just the box changed at the end, as it’s the most efficient way.

As the buyer, I once asked for a bespoke recipe & when I saw the price of my own recipe weetabix, I just stuck with what the brand and PL recipe was, much more profitable.

Would imagine CP are just churning shreddies on the same line.

Only different one is Kellogg’s who only make their own product after a less successful discounter own label period.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Used to be a cereal buyer for a large supermarket. Often the PL is the same as the brand, from the same line, with just the box changed at the end, as it’s the most efficient way.

As the buyer, I once asked for a bespoke recipe & when I saw the price of my own recipe weetabix, I just stuck with what the brand and PL recipe was, much more profitable.

Would imagine CP are just churning shreddies on the same line.

Only different one is Kellogg’s who only make their own product after a less successful discounter own label period.

Nice - that's really good to know. I imagine there are loads of things like this (I know Costco Kirkland Batteries are made by Duracell, for example)..although half the time you never know which knock-off is good and which one isn't.

Blog Entries
    M&S Ranch Steaks. Worth a try!

Master
    Aldi’s aged ribeyes are exceptionally good value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spot on I bought those last week,same with the chocolate bars that copy mars and marathon taste the same.

Lidl Ribeye steaks

Best ones I’ve found have been via Amazon Fresh. They distribute the Lidgates butchers stuff in our area under their local providers offerings and their rib eye (and also the Wagyu but that’s proper expensive) is superb. Rib Eye is around £50 a kilo so not cheap (figure on £25 for 2) but it is very good.

Never been in a Lidl (nor do I think there is one near here) so I can’t make the comparison but I assume you would need to go into the shop as opposed to having it delivered? In which case I’m out.

Last edited by ryanb741; 18th February 2018 at 22:52.

Journeyman
    Good to know about the steaks, will be paying the local Lidl a visit

Craftsman
    The bakery is excellent in our local Lidl. Haven't tried the meat though. Will have to pay a visit to get some of the steak to try for tea.

Master
    I use Costco, buy a half sirloin and ribeye get them home portion them down to ~350-450g salt and pepper them and then vac pac ready to sous-vid them and whack in the freezer.

They should keep forever being vac’d and frozen and you can go straight from freezer to sous-vid no defrosting needed.

But i’ll Take a look at lidle see how it compares

As some other have said I can't fault the Aldi steaks, they're spot on! We don't have a Lidl where I live but if I'm passing one I'll give them a try

The bloke on the local tesco meat counter says even with their in shop discount they all generally go over the road to Aldi for their meat. Must give it a go

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shhhh. I don;t want too many people spoiling my meat supply!

Our regular purchases are the Ribeyes, Beef Mince and Free Range Chicken. They also have a good range of frozen breaded fish in breadcrumbs at the moment which make a nice convenience meal.

Lidl Fresh fruit and veg is more than the equal of other supermarkets at 2/3 the price. They're also one of the few places that actually stocks Caballo Nero for our homemade minestrone.

As per recommendation above I'll give the fresh Orange Juice a try - Tropicana cost stacks up fast with the amount we drink. Recently Lidl have been stocking Copella Apple Juice cheap too.

Indeed bakery is excellent even in another Country
    Will investigate meat selection

Master
    Nice - that's really good to know. I imagine there are loads of things like this (I know Costco Kirkland Batteries are made by Duracell, for example)..although half the time you never know which knock-off is good and which one isn't.
    Ditto on the batteries - never knew that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I use Costco, buy a half sirloin and ribeye get them home portion them down to ~350-450g salt and pepper them and then vac pac ready to sous-vid them and whack in the freezer.

They should keep forever being vac’d and frozen and you can go straight from freezer to sous-vid no defrosting needed.

But i’ll Take a look at lidle see how it compares
    Does sitting with the salt already there, whilst freezing and then defrosting not change the texture too much?

I too buy from Costco & vac seal, but I defrost, sear, vac seal, sousvide & then final sear before serving when I then season. Don’t like the idea of decent steak sitting in a salty brine for hours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Does sitting with the salt already there, whilst freezing and then defrosting not change the texture too much?

I too buy from Costco & vac seal, but I defrost, sear, vac seal, sousvide & then final sear before serving when I then season. Don’t like the idea of decent steak sitting in a salty brine for hours.

I didn't detect any difference from freezing unseasoned but I only sear once, post sous-vide which might make a difference.

If it does have an impact I'd say t would be very minor and it suites us to be able to chuck a couple in frozen and go out for a few hours and not worry on time.

I'd suggest giving a couple a try and see if it differs significantly?

Craftsman
    I tried some Korean meatballs from Lidl. They were the dogs bollocks. No, really, they WERE the dogs bollocks.....

One thing I have noticed about the bakery products, they really need to be eaten same day, they can get a bit hard and stale quickly, probably not as many preservatives in them?
    Cheers..
    Jase

One thing I have noticed about the bakery products, they really need to be eaten same day, they can get a bit hard and stale quickly, probably not as many preservatives in them?
    Your real name is Jean-Paul and I claim my cent francs.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Merci mon ami.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    The bloke on the local tesco meat counter says even with their in shop discount they all generally go over the road to Aldi for their meat. Must give it a go

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Probably the same man who I overheard telling a woman to avoid Bassa (fish) at all costs!

Master
    Sorry but unless they vary across the country... My Mrs buys it from Aldi sometimes and it’s blumin awful. Really thin steaks, doesn’t even feel the right ribeye consistency and tastes bland to my palette.

But then if I go shopping I always buy it from my local butcher so maybe I’ve just spoilt it.

Even getting it cut for you at the meat counter in Tesco (not shop floor packet) is 100 times better than anything I’ve had from Aldi.

Mind you knowing the budget shopping the Mrs does there’s probably different options available there or something? Mind, I’ve never heard of a meat counter in them stores?

Sorry just asked and it was Aldi not Lidl
    Last edited by jameswrx; 20th February 2018 at 09:48.

Master
    My favourites are Costco's extra matured Aberdeen Angus rib eye steaks, but Aldi can come close.
    I find the quality quite variable, so you have to root through the box to find ones with some nice marbling.