closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Good afternoon,

I’ve recently purchased my first automatic watch and went for the Omega Planet Ocean as this has always been the watch I have wanted.

I wear my watch everyday when I’m at home but work away for a few weeks at a time so shen I come home my watch will have stopped I don’t mind resetting the time and date etc but what are people’s thoughts on a watch winder is it better for the watch?

I have my watch on a bracelet but I’m also thinking of getting the black rubber strap with the orange stitching to mix it up. How easily is it to change the straps or is this something I would have to get my local jeweller to do?

Thanks

A winder is no better or worse for the watch, just adds a little bit of convenience.

Buy a strap changing tool when you get your strap then you can swap and change when you feel like it. It's an easy job with a steady hand.

Craftsman
    Took my watches (one a PO) off my watch winders, carnt say it was the winder but I've had two watches needing repair after being on them!! Not for me now, would rather wind and set them as I wear them.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have seen it stated by respected watchmakers, and it stands to reason that a watch on a winder will all other things being equal suffer more wear and deterioration than one left to stop in a box or draw. I think it best to treat a winder as a convenience tool in that you don't need to reset you watches when in rotation, not an aid to watch health. It is probably no different to wearing your watch every day but if you do this you don't need a winder...

I gave up with my winders in the end. A few minutes and they are wound and ready to go on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Am I alone in actually enjoying setting and winding watches? It's a part of the deal for me and reminds me of my Dad winding and setting his beloved Avia all those years ago. (He always wanted an Omega)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    Am I alone in actually enjoying setting and winding watches? It's a part of the deal for me and reminds me of my Dad winding and setting his beloved Avia all those years ago. (He always wanted an Omega)

Spot on, part of the reason I often chose a manual wind
    RIAC

Craftsman
    No your not, I love this part as it's hands on (excuse the pun!)
    Take time to get the seconds exact, love it.

Thank you for the advise. It wasn’t a convenience tool I was after but purely if it was beneficial to the watch itself. I don’t mind setting it etc as you say it’s only a quick job and quite enjoyable.

Thanks also for the advise on the strap front too I didn’t want to purchase an additional strap if it was going to be a big deal to change it every time I fancied to mix it about.

Surely a winder is for things like perpetual calendars - or lazy people
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Changing the bracelt over to a strap, and vice versa, should be no problem with a half decent changing tool. Done it on my PO a few times now and it's pretty easy even for a buffoon like me🤔

Master
    You're not. It's a pleasure to set a watch before each new wear.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I agree with some of the others, I enjoy setting a watch and getting the seconds spot on, also setting the watch gives you a feel of how the watch is and what sort of condition the movement is in.
    Changing the bracelet to a strap is very easy with the right tool and some care, swapping the bracelet for rubber or leather nearly halves the weight of the watch, my current PO is on the Omega black with orange stitching and deployment clasp.

Craftsman
    If you are getting a winder, then make sure you get one with different programs that start and stop after a while. You don't want to be putting it on one that spins continuously and doesn't stop.

The one I have has three different programs, and spins the watch in both directions.

I'm with the others here in terms of setting and winding the watch. In fact at first all I wanted was an auto but then the more watches you get you have to wind them what w n they power down.

Putting it on a winder in my eyes is creating wear on the moving parts when you don't need to. Just my opinion.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carruthers07 View Post
    Good afternoon,

I’ve recently purchased my first automatic watch and went for the Omega Planet Ocean as this has always been the watch I have wanted.

I wear my watch everyday when I’m at home but work away for a few weeks at a time so shen I come home my watch will have stopped I don’t mind resetting the time and date etc but what are people’s thoughts on a watch winder is it better for the watch?

I have my watch on a bracelet but I’m also thinking of getting the black rubber strap with the orange stitching to mix it up. How easily is it to change the straps or is this something I would have to get my local jeweller to do?

Thanks
    Lee, pop into control room tonight mate, get yourself a tool kit and do it yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Lee, pop into control room tonight mate, get yourself a tool kit and do it yourself...
    Haha I was thinking surely between me you and Mike we would be able to sort something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carruthers07 View Post
    Good afternoon,

Thanks
    I’ve had a couple of omega P.O. and the black and orange rubber is probably one of the comfiest straps I’ve had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’ve had a couple of omega P.O. and the black and orange rubber is probably one of the comfiest straps I’ve had

Changing the strap is easy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A winder is no better or worse for the watch, just adds a little bit of convenience.
    Wow, I never knew that, I was led to believe that an auto needed to be moved around, to lubricate it and keep it working well. On that note, I have had many autos sat in a watch box for years.

Grand Master

I love them

RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Totally agree. I have the POC and it’s super comfy.

Thanks for all the messages! Appreciate all the advise and help!