closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moved from wrong section Horrible car alarm!

Moved from wrong section Horrible car alarm!

Got back to the Car after a quick walk before collecting son from school, tried remote key fob, nothing happened. Opened car with key ALARM goes on, and stays on!,,,

So, poor son, ( and myself) deafened by the alarm, have to put up with us driving home with the bloody thing howling, going sloooowly through town!
    So, at home tried spare key, no , flat battery in that as well. Luckily local dealer replaced both batteries.

Dealer said make sure to use spare key once a month to keep it active and slow down battery drain. Didn’t know that..
    Last edited by sestrel; 26th February 2018 at 17:59.

How easy is it to remove the battery from the spare? I'd just remove it in its entirety and stick it securely to the outside of the key so that there's no risk of drain.

This has just made me realise that the battery in my Audi key fob is still the original one - making it over 10 years old and 175k miles of use!!

Same for the spare too - which also works fine, despite never being used. I am not sure how using a fob every couple of weeks would help preserve battery life, but every day is a school day.

My alarm would also immobilise the ignition too, so maybe it is time for a fresh battery.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    How easy is it to remove the battery from the spare? I'd just remove it in its entirety and stick it securely to the outside of the key so that there's no risk of drain.
    Not terribly difficult, but it would be a pain opening up the works to put it back in if really wanted that key asap! (Imo)

I think the old one had been in there for maaaaany years also!

Tell me who is discharging the batteries a tiny bit every month to keep them healthy when they are sat on a shelf for maybe years before being put to use? Nobody got time for that, cos it's essentially BS. Tell the dealer to supply the freshest batteries and then we'll talk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Certain key fobs have rechargeable cells that charge when in use. Maybe the dealer meant to use the spare key to drive the car about with occasionally?

Master
    You have to watch the keys on some cars as when you take the old battery out you only have 30 seconds to change the battery before the key loses its memory

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Certain key fobs have rechargeable cells that charge when in use. Maybe the dealer meant to use the spare key to drive the car about with occasionally?
    How does this work - through the key, inductively or somehow else?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 27th February 2018 at 16:41.

Ordinary battery, not rechargeable, but no big deal, I never replaced the last set for seven years!

It might be helpful to mention which car you own with this problem.
    Someone else is going to have the same problem.

I am surprised that the immobiliser didn't kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How does this work - through the key, inductively or somehow else?
    Yes, it is some sort of loop in the ignition, much the same as a rechargeable toothbrush charger.

My Discovery had a rechargeable fob, which meant we had to alternate the keys to keep them charged. The batteries also eventually die though and as the key fob was fully sealed, replacement batteries meant purchasing a new fob direct from Land Rover, plus a charge for programming too.
    There was absolutely no benefit over an ordinary replaceable battery at all, in fact it was much worse, as it cost a small fortune every 6 years or so unless you were quite handy with a soldering iron.

CR-V btw