closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New member, please be gentle with me :)

Banned

New member, please be gentle with me :)

Hello everyone, pleased to meet you all on this forum. I named myself Mr Rolex because I couldn’t think of anything more imaginative 😂
    However I am planning on buying my first Rolex soon. So I have seen 3 I like. 1 is an oyster perpetual date 34mm wih blue dial, the other is a Datejust 41mm with rhodium dial, and the last is an oyster perpetual 39mm in rhodium dial . What was the firs Rolex you purchased and what made you decide on that model? Also what do you think to the models I have selected ? Would love to see your models just don’t get me too Jealous !!

Welcome. What watches do you have currently? Why not post some pics, tell us about your journey to your current considerations...

Welcome.

Interesting that you are considering both a 34mm and a 41mm.

My first Rolex was a 36mm Datejust but if I was doing it over again I’d take a Submariner.

My first was a seadweller deep sea ,had that I had for a year and now I have a standard seadweller,Rolex are not my preferred brand but I’d go 41mm ,let’s see what’s in the collection now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Welcome.

My first Rolex was a 36mm Datejust but if I was doing it over again I’d take a Submariner.
    I prefer a smaller watch but I think the 41mm is gorgeous too, but possibly too big I’d need to try it on :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Welcome. What watches do you have currently? Why not post some pics, tell us about your journey to your current considerations...
    The most expensive watch I own is a citizen which cost me £90.....so this would be my first foray into owning a luxury watch, I appreciate and love all the aesthetics of them and I am reading up more about them daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rolex View Post
    Hello everyone, pleased to meet you all on this forum. I named myself Mr Rolex because I couldn’t think of anything more imaginative 
    However I am planning on buying my first Rolex soon. So I have seen 3 I like. 1 is an oyster perpetual date 34mm wih blue dial, the other is a Datejust 41mm with rhodium dial, and the last is an oyster perpetual 39mm in rhodium dial . What was the firs Rolex you purchased and what made you decide on that model? Also what do you think to the models I have selected ? Would love to see your models just don’t get me too Jealous !!
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...how-your-Rolex

Banned
    Thank you

Journey,,
    BTW welcome.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Have a look at the 36mm Datejust and Oyster 116000, you might find the size is ideal. Plenty of dial variations too.

Strongly advise trying them on, you have to see how a watch looks on your wrist and try not to be over-influence by internet pictures.

Paul

Banned
    My very first Rolex was a 36mm datejust on oyster with plain bezel and dark blue face .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    In common with a few my first was also a datejust 36mm in TT. Have this one on today, been in the safe for a bit 20171208_090252.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Welcome.

Like others, my first was a Datejust....classy looking watch, but I then decided I preferred the sporty look, size and weight and chopped it for a Sub.

Good advice to look, feel and try on to help decide.

Welcome to the forum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have a look at the 36mm Datejust and Oyster 116000, you might find the size is ideal. Plenty of dial variations too.

Strongly advise trying them on, you have to see how a watch looks on your wrist and try not to be over-influence by internet pictures.

Paul
    This pretty well sums it up.
    Be sure of case size and dial colour on your wrist before you buy.
    To me,the dark blue (34mm) and the rhodium dials are very different and even 2mm in case size can make a big difference in wearing a watch everyday.
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy your hunt.

Craftsman
    Ceramic GMT in 2008.

Chose it over the submariner, as not knowing a great deal about the brand at the time i really liked the story of it being a sort of anniversary piece with the green writing and green GMT hand.

Sold it some years back but i think i will get another one.

Craftsman
    First proper watch and first Rolex was a Submariner

Craftsman
    Welcome, not exactly properly in the eyes of many here, my first was a tissot that I still have it and wore at my wedding

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

My first Rolex was a vintage Oyster Date Ref 1500

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    My first Rolex was a vintage Oyster Date Ref 1500

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Beautiful

My first “proper” watch that wasn’t digital was an Omega Constellation. Wish I never got rid of it! IMG_0076.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Jump ship, while you still have the chance.

BTW, welcome

My first bought 21 years ago nearly new and I still have it) was an Airking. Shortly after I added a 1500 similar to the lovely example pictured in the thread and a vintage Datejust, and for many years I happily rotated just the three of them. Then the illness took over.

I’m cheekily using a pic from Brendan (Webwatchmaker of this forum) when he serviced my DJ a couple of years ago as I and it aren’t in the same country at present.

Craftsman
    Only a recent entrant to the world of Rolex and that was with a BLNR late last year. Still loving it!

Banned
    Guys I have been told the rhodium dial 41mm Datejust is in stock at the AD I am going to, it’s £5,500. I know Rolex never discount anything or tell their Ad’s not to but do you think there is any chance that I could get this price down, to £5,000 ? Or lower perhaps ?

^^^Nope - save yourself £2k & go vintage.

Hello and welcome. There are so many fantastic watches you could afford for £5k that personally I’d try quite a few on from different manufacturers first. That said, there are lots of lovely Rolexes on here and plenty of experts if that is your thing.

I’d love to see the Citizen as well, just as interesting as many Rolexes.

This is my favourite feature of my only Rolex, a TT Datejust from 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I’m cheekily using a pic from Brendan (Webwatchmaker of this forum) when he serviced my DJ a couple of years ago as I and it aren’t in the same country at present.

That’s really quite lovely

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rolex View Post
    Guys I have been told the rhodium dial 41mm Datejust is in stock at the AD I am going to, it’s £5,500. I know Rolex never discount anything or tell their Ad’s not to but do you think there is any chance that I could get this price down, to £5,000 ? Or lower perhaps ?
    Don't know about discounts - better informed people on this forum to comment.
    Try not to drool too much over it in the shop,be,maybe,interested to make the seller think they have a potential sale but not overly enthusiastic or they'll think they own you.
    Remember,there are always watches for sale including other dealers,authorised or gray eg iconic watches:https://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/role...el-126300.html
    Good luck and choose wisely ie exactly what watch,size and colour you want - try several at the same time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    That’s really quite lovely

Thank you. I bought it as a beater in quite battered condition and as a consequence it accompanied me on many adventures of the more alcoholic, adulterous and generally high risk kind. I sent it to Brendan for a long-overdue cosmetic spruce-up as well as movement service. It’s a keeper for sure.

Master
    Welcome to the forum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Blog Entries
    The first Rolex I owned was inherited from my father so it will never leave me. It is a vintage Air-King-Date from 1978. It’s the smallest watch in my collection about 35mm but rather sweet. I am sure you could get one similar for a lot less than £5K.

Master
    Welcome!

My first was a 36mm Explorer. Like all my Rolexes, I wish I hadn't sold it - death, taxes and Rolex price rises ...

My only advice would be to make your first purchase the one you really want. Save up for it and don't buy a cheaper / less desired one as you'll just lose money on the bid/offer down the line.