closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deep Blue discontinued - Confirmed?

Journeyman

Deep Blue discontinued - Confirmed?

Spoke to an AD yesterday and was told that this watch is discontinued and it has been confirmed. I know this has been talked about many times and thought has anyone here got updated info?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go again.

Welcome

Yep, it's definitely, categorically, without question, discontinued. You can now add at least £3k to your asking price. Best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Here we go again.
    Exactly! Trust inside info from an AD? Nope.

DSSD JC still on Rolex.com with a price.

Even if it was killed, would it rocket in value like the SD4k? Doubt it. DSSD is an unbalanced, ungainly thing that can be worn by few and look OK. Beautiful face though.

I say all this as someone with a wtb....!!

Master
    Yes it’s true, but my AD also confirmed that Rolex has retired Rolex. You will no longer be able to buy a Rolex from a Rolex shop. This makes sense as let’s face it they are quite old now. Mr Rolex confirmed in a statement ‘yes I am retiring Rolex’.

You heard it here first!

I do find Rolex models a bit confusing in this regard. I always imagined the original 16610LV would be a limited edition, yet they churned them out for years - indeed I bought mine when I spotted it in an AD window (and the other AD round the corner had one in the window too!) about 5 years after launch. They then launched a new ceramic version which I found a bit odd (especially since I’d sold mine as I just didn’t like the green bezel). Fast forward and apparently they are ‘rare’ with rising prices. I think they’ve jumped the shark - it’s all marketing, smoke and mirrors. Maybe it’s discontinued, maybe it’s not, whatever. Rolex AD’s seem to be as in the dark as anyone else, but they make stuff up to try and sound knowledgeable. All imho of course!

I never believe these rumours unless Hans Wlsdorf confirms it with a ouija text.

Master
    It’s been rumoured to have been discontinued for a while. Only will be confirmed by Rolex at Basel if and when it happens.

Rolex ADs are not in the know on these sorts of things

The seller of the £14k one eBay must believe the OP.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yes it’s true, but my AD also confirmed that Rolex has retired Rolex. You will no longer be able to buy a Rolex from a Rolex shop. This makes sense as let’s face it they are quite old now. Mr Rolex confirmed in a statement ‘yes I am retiring Rolex’.

You heard it here first!
    😂😂

Journeyman
    I do love these rumour mills!

Just a point for those that think Basel will confirm the discontinuation of this watch. This watch wasn't released at Basel - rolex randomly released it in august a few years ago. They could follow the same suit.

Like the comments above, I will only believe it when I see it drop from the website, the old "my AD told me" isn't reliable enough; had they have been, pretty much every sort after model would have been cut, and prices would have increased at least 10 separate occasions in the last 2 years!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it’s been discontinued, and I do think it has, it would be great news as these were the most limited Rolexes in the current line up, most ads got 1-2 a year, many more Daytona’s (despite what that say). The d blue was always a hard one to source, and with a unique history. Anyway let’s come back in 6 weeks or so and go from there.

Actually -and- I heard this from the top, Rolex are waiting for me to sell mine before discontinuing it :0(

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    The seller of the £14k one eBay must believe the OP.
    Maybe the seller on eBay IS the OP? 🤤

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    An AD’s comments are the verbal equivalent of a wet finger
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

Even if it was killed, would it rocket in value like the SD4k? Doubt it. DSSD is an unbalanced, ungainly thing that can be worn by few and look OK. Beautiful face though.

The SD4K presumably made in smaller numbers? The last list for that was £7,800 (I think). WF have one for £9,250 so a premium, but not as large as some!

Craftsman
    An interesting one, I have an insane fascination for the watch.

No offence to owners but it's an obscene looking thing, that's unbalanced and bordering on ridiculous.

And yet I have this fascination for it. I think it's the technical aspect of it, the ring lock system it uses to seal at such pressures. I've been offered a 2017 model + £3k cash in exchange for my 16600 and 126600 together.

I'm sorely tempted but I know it won't get much wrist time, I mean what's the point of something sitting in the safe like some sort of curators egg? As you can tell I'm somewhat confused about my predicament!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

You heard it here first!
    This 😂😂😂😂

Well the James cameron is a lovely watch compared to the sd4k imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    An AD’s comments are the verbal equivalent of a wet finger
    Speaking as a wet fingered AD I can confirm that we are receiving a Cameron Deepsea in this month's allocation.

How contradictory 🤔

(No phone calls please - my customer is a local gentleman who has waited 3 years for this. I can't wait to ring him next week 😄)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Speaking as a wet fingered AD I can confirm that we are receiving a Cameron Deepsea in this month's allocation.

How contradictory

(No phone calls please - my customer is a local gentleman who has waited 3 years for this. I can't wait to ring him next week )
    I didn’t mean you knew what was
    Coming I meant knowing if something is discontinued.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    Well the James cameron is a lovely watch compared to the sd4k imo.
    The same SD4K that no one wanted until it was discontinued, good to have both in the collection IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I didn’t mean you knew what was
    Coming I meant knowing if something is discontinued.

I don't know that it's been discontinued and getting one in our allocation next week to my naive mind suggests that it hasn't.

I have given up thinking - it's my day off!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I don't know that it's been discontinued and getting one in our allocation next week to my naive mind suggests that it hasn't.

I have given up thinking - it's my day off!
    If your finger is dry then you have the right wind direction.

RIAC

Thought this was about the Deep Blue brand, but oh no. It’s another Rolex thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Please tell me James Cameron has retired from making Avatar movies? There's waaaay too much blue in them.

Grand Master
    Tiger Woods recent success and the appearance of the D-Blue on his wrist shows you it’ll be around a while yet as sales will be raised on the back of such great marketing.
    Personally I think they will bin the black dial like they have with the GMTIIC.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    An interesting one, I have an insane fascination for the watch.

No offence to owners but it's an obscene looking thing, that's unbalanced and bordering on ridiculous.

And yet I have this fascination for it. I think it's the technical aspect of it, the ring lock system it uses to seal at such pressures. I've been offered a 2017 model + £3k cash in exchange for my 16600 and 126600 together.

I'm sorely tempted but I know it won't get much wrist time, I mean what's the point of something sitting in the safe like some sort of curators egg? As you can tell I'm somewhat confused about my predicament!
    I feel exactly the same way. I love watches that were designed to do a job, or to achieve something specific. That’s what I like about much of the Rolex lineup; this watch was designed to time a regatta, that one was designed to go to the bottom of the sea. It’s not about whether the owner will use it for that purpose, it’s just a pleasure to own something designed to do something special or to solve a problem.

The DSSD is a brute, but that’s just what a watch looks like when it’s build to withstand that pressure.

The only thing I struggle with on the DSSD is the volume of text declaring its features. It’s stacked up on the dial, it’s written all around the dial, it’s on the caseback. I’m gradually coming to terms with it, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I’m happy for someone to change my mind and make me want one even more, though.