closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White dialled chornograph conundrum

White dialled chornograph conundrum

I've been waiting for more than two years now for my name to come up on the ceramic Daytona list, and I think I probably need to accept that I'm not going to get my hands on one unless I decide to pay way over the odds. I do love that bloody watch, though, (and the ceramic actually answered my prayers with regard to both the bezel and the legibility of the sub-dials) so I can't quite give up on it yet. My conundrum is that to buy one I'll probably have to sell both of these, and in horological terms it doesn't stack up very well...

Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Moonphase

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph

I reckon if I asked the question the overwhelming majority here would tell me to stick with what I've got, particularly as VC serviced the Overseas immediately before I took possession of it. Anyway, feel free to the thread with other white dialled chronos or by sharing your opinion on the above. Well, it's Sunday morning and it beats washing the car
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th February 2018 at 20:12.

Having owned the VCOC its a hell of a watch
    In fact it was the hooker of a bunch of men with love for watches, we all had it at least once
    Mine was the black dial though

The Zenith is not my style, but the VC is magnificent. The Daytona is nice but too small, so never going to be for me, but all the hype drives the Daytona way out of the park for most.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You are indeed nuts to consider such a swap, they would not leave for a Daytona anytime this side of the next ice age.

Your watches your call Tony, but unless you go grey/used you are unfortunately stuck with them.lol.

If I was fortunate to have a Daytona I would happily walk to your house and do a deal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both look nice but seem to fail the “can I tell the time at a quick glance test” although with out wearing them, it is hard to know for sure.

If the Daytona is genuinely more legible then it is as good a reason as any to move one or both of these two on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    The Zenith is not my style, but the VC is magnificent.
    This

Perhaps at some point Ceramic Daytona premiums might drop, I do hope so.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    The VC alone to me is superior to the Daytona, particularly in quality of finish. The only upside to the daytona is the desirability as a hard to get watch, otherwise to my eyes its a fairly ordinary watch.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’m a huge Zenith fan and the Chronomaster is one of their best creations. I’ve also owned the exact same model VC overseas Chronograph and I know how nice that is so personally I wouldn’t sell either of them. Eventually I’m sure you will get a Daytona at retail as you are on the waiting list......
    Last edited by shalako; 18th February 2018 at 09:58.

Master
    If you honestly lust after a ceramic Daytona, then you have to buy one. I've had one and thought it a very average watch. The dial, for me, is too small and over-crowded, the screw-down pushers just silly. Legibility downright poor. Especially with the white dial. A seriously over-rated watch, the price driven up by a lemming-like hysteria. They are also far too shiny, bordering on tasteless. Well, you did ask.......compare the Ceramic C with a simple standard Speedie. The Omega is a far superior visual design.
    Next, the 5711 with that dreadful clasp........
    and I'm not going to wash the car. I'm going to buy a Zenith chronometer instead (true).
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th February 2018 at 10:12.

Buy what you really love, rather than the "latest must have" in order to flip it for a profit down the line.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The possibility of exchanging a VC and a Zenith for a Rolex reminded me, a bit, of this paragraph. It's deliberately overstating its case, but makes a point worth considering.

"We don't know what we want or who we are; we don't really have values or beliefs of our own; what we have instead is an instinct to copy and compare. We are homo mimeticus. 'Man is the creature who does not know what to desire, and who turns to others to make up his mind. We desire what others desire because we imitate their desires'.

On the other hand, once a desire exists, it doesn't make much difference where it came from.....

Similar problem here!
    Not sure I really want the DaytonaIMG_1749.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ceramic Daytonas aren’t all they are made out to be.

Master
    Ultimately down to the preferences of the OP, but my contribution to this tread is that it's made me realise that VC OS seem very good value compared to a Daytona

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dumping an overseas for a Daytona? Pull yourself together man.

Master
    The VCOC looks gorgeous , too nice a watch to sell for a Daytona I think.
    The Zenith is a lot more formal looking. To my eyes the Zenith is a lovely work / formal whereas the VC is s great weekend wearer. Having said that if I had that VC it’d be worn all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The possibility of exchanging a VC and a Zenith for a Rolex reminded me, a bit, of this paragraph. It's deliberately overstating its case, but makes a point worth considering.

"We don't know what we want or who we are; we don't really have values or beliefs of our own; what we have instead is an instinct to copy and compare. We are homo mimeticus. 'Man is the creature who does not know what to desire, and who turns to others to make up his mind. We desire what others desire because we imitate their desires'.

On the other hand, once a desire exists, it doesn't make much difference where it came from.....
    Excellent....and so very true at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Excellent....and so very true at this moment in time.
    Yes, agreed, of course. However, were Cilla here he'd be telling us that all of our buying decisions are influenced by external factors (marketing, peer pressure, image, price (in more than one way), etc...). it's a complex issue.

Anyway, I may veer towards a Zenith Daytona in white gold, then I can pretend there's a good reason to keep all three

Craftsman
    Why not try and get hold of a speedmaster mitsukoshi dial conversion? Not really a Daytona replacement but far more classy and understated. I suspect the ceramic Daytona may go down in history as a bit of a monstrosity... something showy and distasteful as opposed to a WIS-adored classic.

I’m biased as I do not like the new Daytona (in case that was unclear!) for the reasons already mentioned: cluttered dial, blingy grotesque styling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    I suspect the ceramic Daytona may go down in history as a bit of a monstrosity... cluttered dial, blingy grotesque styling.
    I think that is a little extreme, but then I may be biased as an owner of one.

Master

White dialled chornograph conundrum

Speaking as an owner of the three handed Overseas of that generation, and so completely biased... the weird thing about them is that they keep looking better with each passing year. They went through a phase when they were ‘the old model’ after the larger and chunkier models with the new bracelets were introduced, and become very undervalued, but are aging incredibly well and are now looking like a classic vintage model. The current models are a little oversized, with the exception of the ultra-thin, which recalls the original, and is in a completely different price bracket to the Daytona. I wondered if a RO 14790st would replace my 42042, but frankly, design aside the VC feels much more solid and better put together, particularly the bracelet, so it stays.

I don’t want to make this all about money, but I’d say the original Overseas still has a way to go in the right direction, particularly given the ever increasing prices of the new models. I guess a Daytona at list still seems like a safe bet, but may not seem so exciting in a few years. Stylistically, I’d be comparing the Overseas to the much better looking (to my eye) classic Daytonas that the ceramic ones refer to. But the modern ones, while they are an improvement, for me still don’t have the style or charm of the vintage ones.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 18th February 2018 at 12:07.

That just confirms that I really want one, Ally, and it's the white dial for me. If you ever want to move it on... I

can't see the others going, though, if truth be told.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Very nice and to my eye, the black dial is the easier to read, although I would be happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Speaking as an owner of the three handed Overseas of that generation, and so completely biased... the weird thing about them is that they keep looking better with each passing year. They went through a phase when they were ‘the old model’ after the larger and chunkier models with the new bracelets were introduced, and become very undervalued, but are aging incredible well and are now looking like a classic vintage model. The current models are a little oversized, with the exception of the ultra-thin, which recalls the original, and is in a completely different price bracket the Daytona. I wondered if a RO 14790st would replace my 42042, but frankly, design aside the VC feels much more solid and better put together, particularly the bracelet, so it stays.

I don’t want to make this all about money, but I’d say the original Overseas still has a way to go in the right direction, particularly given the ever increasing prices of the new models. I guess a Daytona at list still seems like a safe bet, but may not seem so exciting in a few years. Stylistically, I’d be comparing the Overseas to the much better looking (to my eye) classic Daytonas that the ceramic ones refer to. But the modern ones, while they are an improvement, for me still don’t have the style or charm of the vintage ones.
    I definitely agree with your assessment of the older Overseas, Guy. In terms of the Daytona and its character in the various iterations to date, there are two that work for me. The older Zeniths, particularly the 16519 in WG... loads of charm and warmth; and the newer ceramics, because they hit the spot for me in terms of key design elements. The models in-between leave me a bit cold, tbh.

Craftsman

Lovely photos. And no offence caused! I certainly respect the Daytona movement for sure.

Do you have any wrist shots with yours?

There’s no way the Daytona comes close to the VC. The Daytona is frankly boring & even at retail is overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As a fortunate owner of a white dialled ceramic Daytona, I have to say I think it's an exceptional watch - despite all the naysayers on this thread. Having said that, of course, the VC is also pretty special, although I can't get along with the bracelets.

Nice dilemma to have and a classic case of superior watches versus a superior brand.

If you like the marketing and image knock yourself out with the Daytona mate. You'll probably get your money back come flipping time if you keep it long enough, oh hang on, that's not exactly your style is it ;-)

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    [...]
    Anyway, I may veer towards a Zenith Daytona in white gold, then I can pretend there's a good reason to keep all three
    If you like all of them, then why not? It seems like a style that works for you, so it makes sense to stick with it.

There’s no law against having another chrono, and though I think diversity in a watch collection is overrated, they’re all distinctive enough in looks not to be redundant — plus it’s a good opportunity to get rid of a few less-favoured ones instead.

Master
    Well, every famous watch has its fans and so it is with the Daytona. But many modern watches are very good, even excellent. This means that the 'gap' between rivals is surprisingly small....but marketing and limited supply can lead to large differences in price.
    To me, a ceramic Daytona is well-priced at retail. At £14000-£15000, a different story, based entirely on the assumption of ever-rising prices.
    I'm glad to have owned one, but once was enough for me. I haven't seen one, but the VC looks special from the photos. I'd prefer that, on rarity value alone. Rolex is a great brand, but it's not VC.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th February 2018 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    There’s no way the Daytona comes close to the VC. The Daytona is frankly boring & even at retail is overpriced.
    I'll grant that looks are a matter of opinion, but good luck finding a better sports chronograph movement at any price.

Ceramic Daytonas aren’t all they are made out to be.
    Indeed. Take the supply issue/hype away and it becomes just another nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Nice dilemma to have and a classic case of superior watches versus a superior brand.

If you like the marketing and image knock yourself out with the Daytona mate. You'll probably get your money back come flipping time if you keep it long enough, oh hang on, that's not exactly your style is it ;-)

Cheers,
    Gary
    That's quite harsh, Gary, in more ways than one. Firstly, the Daytona is universally recognised as one of the finest chronographs ever made. It's movement in all iterations is superb, and the build quality has never been questioned. Secondly, I don't tend to flip my watches these days, and it's been a few years since i did in any great number.

At least be fair, even if your view differs from mine.

That's quite harsh, Gary, in more ways than one. Firstly, the Daytona is universally recognised as one of the finest chronographs ever made. It's movement in all iterations is superb, and the build quality has never been questioned. Secondly, I don't tend to flip my watches these days, and it's been a few years since i did in any great number.

At least be fair, even if your view differs from mine.
    My apologies, the flipper comment was meant in jest but obviously didn't come over that way.

Anyway from the tone of your response it sounds like you've made up your mind already.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    My apologies, the flipper comment was meant in jest but obviously didn't come over that way.

Anyway from the tone of your response it sounds like you've made up your mind already.

Cheers,
    Gary
    If I've made up my mind at all, it's in respect of it not being a sensible way forward.

Just my opinion, but:

1) The Zenith and VC are gorgeous;
    2) I don't like Rolexes in general and I really dislike the modern Daytona;
    3) Selling two nice watches for something far less desirable, far more common seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Lovely photos. And no offence caused! I certainly respect the Daytona movement for sure.

Do you have any wrist shots with yours?
    No offence taken whatsoever:)

Master
    Ultimate solution is to swap out the Zenith and VC for a VC Overseas 49150 with a white guilloché dial.
    Alternatively, forget the sports chrono and go big with the Lange 1815 Chrono...

I'd swap, neither the Zenith or the VC do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Ultimate solution is to swap out the Zenith and VC for a VC Overseas 49150 with a white guilloché dial.
    Alternatively, forget the sports chrono and go big with the Lange 1815 Chrono...
    Both lovely, but the VC is too big, and the ALS is too expensive (and I'm not 100% sold on the subdial position, either). I wouldn't kick either out of bed to get to you, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Dumping an overseas for a Daytona? Pull yourself together man.
    Ha! This!

Master
    An ALS chrono; now that is serious. My dream, but it will remain a dream, alongside the Patek chrono. Just in another league. At least I assume they are, having never handled either.
    Sometimes, you just have to have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Just my opinion, but:

1) The Zenith and VC are gorgeous;
    2) I don't like Rolexes in general and I really dislike the modern Daytona;
    3) Selling two nice watches for something far less desirable, far more common seems like a bad idea.
    +1

the vc is

simply stunning
    white dial daytona also

keep the vc,move the zenith and save up for the daytona

easy....

Master
    Well I might be in the minority here but I’d go for the white dial Daytona. I was lucky enough to get one as soon as they came out and I could have quite easily moved it on at a silly profit. Still could I suspect. It’s genuinely never crossed my mind. It has a bit of a vintage look to me.

You are in a quite fortunate position that if you go for it and change your mind in the future, you can pretty much unwind at little cost, even with paying a premium on the Daytona. Yes the market may settle down a bit, but the odd price rise will mean that a couple of years down the road things will correct themselves. You also have some other great watches n your collection, so it’s not like you’re going from 2 to 1.

I guess as I get older I’m becoming more of the ‘life’s too short’ way of thinking and if you’ve had the itch for 2 years already, why wait on the never never. Go for it, don’t look back and enjoy it.

Sounds like you decided, do the swap.

The bracelet on that Overseas does look bit ‘dated’ compared to the later version with Maltese cross.

Master
    Both lovely, but the VC is too big, and the ALS is too expensive (and I'm not 100% sold on the subdial position, either). I wouldn't kick either out of bed to get to you, mind.
    Have to disagree, Tony, the VCO 49150 is 42mm and wears its size pretty much spot on. It therefore falls inline with the parameters stated in your all-in-one thread from last week.
    Not sure if this does anything to help, but in lieu of the 1st Gen VCO going anywhere, would the Zenith make way for the likes of the Girard Perregaux Rattrapante (just to offer something slightly different from the standard chrono function…yes, I know you’ll be giving up the full/annual calendar feature).

There might still be a bracelet option from G-P, as per… http://www.watchprosite.com/dv-true/...353/ti-757048/ (towards the end of the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Have to disagree, Tony, the VCO 49150 is 42mm and wears its size pretty much spot on. It therefore falls inline with the parameters stated in your all-in-one thread from last week.
    Not sure if this does anything to help, but in lieu of the 1st Gen VCO going anywhere, would the Zenith make way for the likes of the Girard Perregaux Rattrapante (just to offer something slightly different from the standard chrono function…yes, I know you’ll be giving up the full/annual calendar feature).

There might still be a bracelet option from G-P, as per… http://www.watchprosite.com/dv-true/...353/ti-757048/ (towards the end of the thread)
    Actually, you've got me with regard to the VCO 49150 - at least in terms of my own parameters for case size; what I meant, though, is that it would wear bigger due to the integrated bracelet - I find that with mine too. I may go and try one on, though, and I have to say (ironically) that the black dial is beyond beautiful.

The GP is an interesting option, but there's something not working for me. I think it may be the bezel, but whilst it has an unusual complication I don't think I'd take it over the Zenith.

Thank you, by the way.

A WG Zenith Daytona would be my direction of travel for the reason you noted.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Love those watches

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app