closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White dialled chornograph conundrum

Master
    You already have a chrono with what is regarded as one of the best automatic chronograph movements ever made in the Zenith. And in the VC one of the holy trinity with a movement finer finished than a PP.

To swap them both for a Rolex is madness. I know because I did actually that. Had both for about 6 years and did a great deal at the time for a pre-ceramic Daytona 7 years ago. It lasted less than 12 months before moving it on.

One day I’ll replace the Z and VC, another Daytona? No way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Have to disagree, Tony, the VCO 49150 is 42mm and wears its size pretty much spot on. It therefore falls inline with the parameters stated in your all-in-one thread from last week.
    Not sure if this does anything to help, but in lieu of the 1st Gen VCO going anywhere, would the Zenith make way for the likes of the Girard Perregaux Rattrapante (just to offer something slightly different from the standard chrono function…yes, I know you’ll be giving up the full/annual calendar feature).

There might still be a bracelet option from G-P, as per… http://www.watchprosite.com/dv-true/...353/ti-757048/ (towards the end of the thread)
    The model VC in the OP is 40mm as it’s the older version, 49140 current ones are 42mm
    Last edited by nunya; 19th February 2018 at 22:11.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Very nice and to my eye, the black dial is the easier to read, although I would be happy with either.
    I love the look of the black dial Daytona I assume they must be less popular as nearly all the ones I have seen actually being worn are the white dial version

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    The model VC in the OP is 40mm as it’s the older version, 49140 current ones are 42mm
    The 49140 is the 1st Gen, which Tony has – I’m referring to the 2nd Gen, the 49150.

The current (3rd Gen) is the first with their in-house movements, monikered as the 5500V – offering the quick strap change mechanism, the leather/rubber straps, and micro-adjust deployante, whilst losing the big date at 12 for a more conventional regular date window at 4:30.

Last edited by PJ S; 19th February 2018 at 23:01.

The 49140 is the 1st Gen, which Tony has – I’m referring to the 2nd Gen, the 49150.

This was always my favourite iteration, I am a sucker for the guilloche dial...but thanks to the debate I discovered the three hander...Overseas 42mm ref: 47040/B01A, and now I have a new grail!!
    As for your dilemma Tony, have to say stick with what you have. In a few years time things will have settled down on the availability of the Rolex you currently hanker for, you will still have two mint, handsome and rare watches. Not easy to replace if things don't gel quite as you'd hope with the ceramic Rolex. Guess what I am suggesting is perhaps wait a little longer to see if the itch dies down....

Master
    The current (3rd Gen) is the first with their in-house movements, monikered as the 5500V – offering the quick strap change mechanism, the leather/rubber straps, and micro-adjust deployante, whilst losing the big date at 12 for a more conventional regular date window at 4:30.

Oh dear I think they’ve ruined it, the big date was one of the features that attracted me to it.

For me 1st gen for size, 2nd gen for the bracelet revamp, 3rd gen pah imo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Oh dear I think they’ve ruined it, the big date was one of the features that attracted me to it.

For me 1st gen for size, 2nd gen for the bracelet revamp, 3rd gen pah imo
    Pretty much agree with you there, with the exception of the current extra thin. If only it was available in steel and even vaguely affordable. The current 37mm 'gender neutral' version is frankly too dainty to consider, i wish they would make a thin, steel, 38-40mm version. But perhaps I'm swimming upstream, wanting expensive luxury watches that are subtle. It used to be possible in the 70s, though I suppose in their day they were actually considered 'jumbo' sized.

Have to disagree, Tony, the VCO 49150 is 42mm and wears its size pretty much spot on. It therefore falls inline with the parameters stated in your all-in-one thread from last week.
    Not sure if this does anything to help, but in lieu of the 1st Gen VCO going anywhere, would the Zenith make way for the likes of the Girard Perregaux Rattrapante (just to offer something slightly different from the standard chrono function…yes, I know you’ll be giving up the full/annual calendar feature).

There might still be a bracelet option from G-P, as per… http://www.watchprosite.com/dv-true/...353/ti-757048/ (towards the end of the thread)
    I think the VC is an excellent suggestion. I am a big fan of my 116520, but one thing I would say - its not a daily wearer. I've tried but it doesn't work for me as a regular watch. I think its the too shiny bracelet (I don't have an issue with legibility).

I'm not a fan of the Zenith so I'd probably trade in and try the new Daytona and then move it on for the VC or something else. Minimal impact on price i think.

I wouldn't let those two go. Two pale chronos I have are (for the funky option) and (for a dressier option). Not quite in the same league but great watches nonetheless ..... although I would say that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely keep the VC Chrono. Fantastic watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Keep the VC overseas Chronograph, what your thought on the Tudor Black Bay Chrono, would offer something different?