closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you still own any of your first watches

Do you still own any of your first watches

I had many a watch as a young lad, I can't remember any makes or models but still have visions of the early LCD's and those maroon coloured displays that would show the time after pushing a button, but these have all come and gone.

Looking through some of the collection I found the watch I had just before joining the Army, it dates to approximately 1986, it came on a very nice president style bracelet, the bracelet looked way better than the watch, though the clasp broke after many years of use, the bracelet was replaced with this horrible thing, bought it in Harrogate from a jewellers that was closing down.

I still have a couple of Pulsar pepsi divers, but these were bought in the 90's

Can't believe how small it is, it's a bit worse for wear now.

Last edited by geran; 17th February 2018 at 19:18.

Journeyman
    Anyone still got their first watch?
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=407411

Already done I’m afraid...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Unfortunately all my childhood Casios are long lost or long dead. The final one was this model, and I was very fond of it. Though it seems not fond enough to remember how it met its end

Craftsman
    I really wish I still had my childhood watches.

Alas, the earliest watch that I had, that is still in my possession, is a gold Seiko dress watch, which I was given by my parents when I was 18. I still love it. It always looked similar to the watch Face wore from the A Team.

Master
    My first watch was also my first "good watch", and I still have it.

No, and I sold my first ever Rolex to teach myself not to be sentimental about watch purchases.
    It's just a matter of time...

My first watch was casio calculator with rubber strap. Lost ages ago. Wish i still had it

Master
    Had a luminous Timex some 50 years as an Xmas present In my minds eye it looked like a Submariner but i doubt it did.
    Wish i still had it for sentimental reasons

I still have the Omega Seamaster bought for me on my 18th Birthday prezzy - in 1978. Complete with box and papers

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    I really wish I still had my childhood watches.
    I said this recently, that wouldn't it be fascinating if you'd kept every watch you'd owned until, say 21 years old, and framed them all as a collection. I so wish I'd done this... I'm going to try and do it for my baby son as he grows.

Yes I still have the Huntana which was given to my dad by my grandad. My Dad gave it me when I was in my teens. It will pass onto my son but unfortunately he would probably sell it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think my first watch was a little black analogue quartz. I got it either for me 9th or 10th birthday. Absolutely loved it. Lost it on holiday about six months later. Pretty gutted at the time. The oldest watch I have now is an accurist I got for my 15th birthday from an aunt

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No but I wish I did.
    It was a transparent case and strap swatch with like a holographic windmill shape on the dial which was always changing colour.
    I remember the strap didn't stay clear after a couple of years. It took on a really grim brown colour and was changed for a pop swatch on a neon pink elasticated strap.

Having this very discussion yesterday! I’ve still got mine:

Journeyman
    Like another posted my first watch was a good one (Omega SM) and I've still got it although I don't wear it perhaps as much as I should!

First proper watch 1972-ish. Still wearing it but it could do with a (first) service and cosmetic TLC.

I remember my older brothers first watch was a Timex, we had stopped at a service station on our yearly trip to Bournemouth, he took it off to wash his hands in the toilets and forgot to put it back on, by the time he realised it was not on his wrist we had already set off in the car, we went back but no sign of the watch, gutted.

I can also remember buying my first watch with money I had saved up, a blue dialled quartz jobbie, around the age of thirteen. My mum and dad both stopped smoking that year, they put the money away week by week on what would have gone on fags, this paid for our first holiday abroad.
    We all arrived but our cases were in a different country! they took three days to catch up with us, we had to buy some trunks so we could at least swim in the pool, I was first in no bother swam a length, then realised I'd left my watch on, another one bites the dust.
    Last edited by geran; 18th February 2018 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post

My first watch in the late 60s was also a Timex, but without the date. Unfortunately I don’t have that one, but bought one off Ebay for sentimental reasons. Olivier kindly fixed it up. The next I can remember was some kind of red LED, space age at the time. Again don’t have it, but bought a black plastic TI red LED from Argentina on Ebay just for the memories.

Anybody going to own up to having their father’s PP as a first watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have this lovely beauty

Swatch Irony Chrono c.1995

And while technically not the original watches, i hunted down a few of the others I had but sadly didn't survive my youth :p

NOS Swatch Aqua Chrono "waterpower"

Casio G-Shock AW500G-1E c.1989
    Last edited by endo; 18th February 2018 at 16:58.

The first watch I bought with my own money my Tissot PR516 F1 Dive Watch from 1981.
    It sat in my drawer for over 20 years with a broken stem and no crown, until my recent interest
    in watches was re-kindled. I found an original stem on E-Bay and a generic crown was provided
    by my watch making neighbour who fitted them both and breathed some life back into it with
    a clean, a service and new battery, it now proudly resides in my collection alongside my other watches.

I remember when I was a second year apprentice in 1981 and desperately looking for a dive watch I
    could afford eventually I bought a copy of Exchange & Mart and thumbed through the pages until I found
    an ad for a watch on Hire Purchase. The price was £69.50 which in those days was about 2 weeks wages
    so I paid my deposit and a about a week later it arrived. I was absolutely over the moon with it and thought
    I was the bees knees for ages. During my search for parts on the internet I stumbled upon a picture of the ad
    that someone had put up...

Over the years I wore more or less every day, it went through quite a lot of abuse including falling off my
    wrist from about 6 feet onto a concrete workshop floor which caused the minute hand to fall off, it was then
    sent off to Tissot who for repair. A couple of years later the clasp broke from the bracelet, luckily at the time
    I was working form a firm who had a top notch welder who actually managed to very precisely weld it back in
    place and it lasted ever since. During mid nineties I had another episode where the crown broke off and that's
    when it went to the drawer, definitely a keeper now.

Blog Entries

The above is not my actual watch, mine was a gold plated version .

My aunt /uncle gave me a box of watches when I was 15 . My first foray into real watches amongst them a working king Seiko hi beat . I always remember it because of the gold medallion thing on the caseback . It was a fantastic thing to look at .

It just stopped working and I lost it unfortunately. It’s probably in a tip In the north west

Then I decided to go to the Index shop in the high street with money I had saved and buy a citizen eagle 7 . Not sure how much I paid . A friend and I both bought the same models and we used to walk around in school using lines from pulp fiction/reservoir dogs . I think the watch scene in pulp fiction prompted the interest . ( oh btw we never wore our watches were the sun doesn’t shine )

That too stopped

Not my pic but same model

No, not here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yip. My own first watch purchase was a yellow Pogue bought in 77. Still have it today and as original as they come.

Had it serviced 12 months or so ago so running like a dream.

Great condition too I have to say.

Jim

Yes I still have one of these Tag Kiriums in my drawer. Apart from a digital casio as a kid this was my first proper watch. Very solid and still in great condition despite years of wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post

My first watch too, although I no longer have it. Wonder if it’s still about somewhere

Journeyman
    Yep, still got the Ingersol I was given when I was about 4, some 40+ years ago. As a reflection of how thin my wrists are, it still fits me now.

Craftsman
    I still have my first "adult" watch. This Seiko my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me when I worked at a BMW dealership. All the salesguys would flash their watches, Tags, omegas and even a Hublot.
    I have no idea what model it is and can not find anything that resembles it on Google search.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is one of my biggest regrets. Selling my first big watch purchase. Was an Omega Planet Ocean, common but loved it non the less!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I still have my first "adult" watch. This Seiko my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me when I worked at a BMW dealership. All the salesguys would flash their watches, Tags, omegas and even a Hublot.
    I have no idea what model it is and can not find anything that resembles it on Google search.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    No numbers on the case back, under the lugs or between the lugs?
    And where's the minute counter for the chronograph - another hand underneath the central seconds?

Journeyman
    Was just given my 18th birthday present back to me after my mother did a small clearout of some of my cr@p from my childhood home. (Well 30 years have lapsed now so time).

Omega Seamaster Date SS Quartz, circa 1986. 1337 motor. Pretty badly beat up (youthful alcohol-induced impact) and in need of someone looking at it.

Compared to stuff today gotta say the quality is rubbish. ESP the bracelet.

Box, papers, receipt £125.00 from John Lewis, September 1986 all there!

Journeyman
    Raymond Weil nabucco.... first watch I ever owned.

Master
    My first proper watch bought in 1999 in Christchurch New Zealand from a gent called Michael Nairn. Still going strong today, and I still love it

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No, and I sold my first ever Rolex to teach myself not to be sentimental about watch purchases.
    Without any sentimentality they're just disposable objects/baubles - you could argue why even have them in the first place?

My first watch was a black plastic watch my Grandad gave me when he returned from a work trip to Greece. No idea what it was even now and was too young to appreciate the gesture at the time, long lost but wish it wasn't.

Besides that my first watch I bought myself was an Adidas number I bought from Argos for the princely sum of £59.99, I think with some birthday or Christmas money when I was 13 or so. Seemed ever such a lot of money at the time and I remember pouring over the catalogue repeatedly trying to make my mind up. I it wore through all of secondary school and beyond. Only stopped wearing it when the pin in the endlink broke. I loved that watch and always thought the dial and caseback details were very good for the money. I still have it. Rated to 5ATM, wore it in the pool all the time and it never leaked.

After that a lovely looking Lacoste watch my then girlfriend bought me for my 18th, with a fabric/woven looking dial and tan leather strap. One of those love at first sight purchases. Not worn anymore but still have it.

Then finally my SMP auto co-axial for my 21st which I would never part with. A model I'd been drooling over since watching Brosnan's Bond films a million times over growing up.
    Last edited by Dent99; 1st April 2018 at 09:52.

Wife wears it

My first watch was a Hägar the Horrible watch bought for my 10 birthday.
    I wore it until it fell apart.
    When I was about 14 I was given the citizen with the gold bezel pictured.
    I wore this through school until 18 when I was given the citizen with black dial. I lost this p1ssed one night and had then spent years trying to find a replacement
    Neither are worn but I can't get rid of them, I replace the batteries when needed, change the time when GMT / BST changes but they just sit in the box.

I still own one of my very first watches, a Sector ADV 4500 my dad gave me, sometime in the mid-late nineties.
    It doesn't work, the crystal is cracked and one of the indices has come loose, but I still think it's good looking (fond memories and all that). I have thought about bringing it back to life several times, and this remains one of my horological goals, but I've never come round to it for some reason.

IMG_1005.JPG

Sold all my watches to buy an investment property and then ended up selling that! I own a couple of Rolex but still have a Casio I bought in the early 1990's which had a seven year battery life. I kid you not, up until about six years ago it was still working. Incredible.

Blog Entries
    First proper from 2002.

Wifey made the purchase after a seven day stint in Adenbrooks as a well done for surviving brain surgery. Lov 'er..

Pitch

My first ever watch is this Huntana. It was my Grandad's then my Dad's then handed down to me. I just love the sunburst effect dial.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    +101!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    First proper from 2002.

Wifey made the purchase after a seven day stint in Adenbrooks as a well done for surviving brain surgery. Lov 'er..

Pitch

Yes an all original Seiko 6309 7049 Divers watch the only two mods i have had done are a relume bJack at IWW and added a sapphire crystal its an incredible watch.

Apprentice
    First watch I bought was a Seiko C359 calculator watch. Worked all summer to save up to buy it.
    It lasted 2 years before I trashed the crystal and my dad bought me a Casio DW-5200 (they just came onto the market) and dared me to break it.

Still got both, replaced the crystal on the Seiko and after 17 years the battery in the Casio finally gave up the ghost last month

Blog Entries
    Not my first watch, but I still have this ‘stylish’ little number from the late 1980s

Full B&P too !

z

First nice watch, a silver AT, wedding gift from the wife so is a keeper.

Craftsman
    Christmas 1959

The first I bought myself was a red G-shock which I still own. I own a now defunct Casio of some kind which was given to me when I was around 8. G shock still owned and occasionally worn, in spite of me not liking the look of it anymore, other Casio is sat in a drawer feeling sorry for itself and will continue to do so.

Craftsman
    Non-working now. Tried to have it repaired but was advised that even if it was possible, it was not worth it. :(

Craftsman
    Yes, I have a Bravingtons Renown which I went and chose as my Father bought it for me when I went to 'Big" school so I think it's around 1963/4 depending on when we went to the Bravingtons shop in Kings Cross, sadly I don't have the box or receipt to date it, I recently had it serviced and cleaned by the watch bloke so proudly wear it occasionally. I also have a Tissot PR516 which I believe is my 21st birthday watch, again chosen by me but given by parents and finally my 1987 Rolex datejust which I treated myself to! These i intend to keep but many others have come and gone. If I could work out how to put photos on this site I would (tried the app previously but I believe it doesn't work now!) Cheers, John B4