closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on an incoming: Grand Seiko SBGX009

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Same bracelet as generally found on the SBGX005, and I’d assume that’s the origin of this one since I [i]think[/] the ‘9 was always supplied on leather with a tang buckle - aesthetically, it needs the contrast to really compliment the austere perfection of the dial; the ‘5 on the other hand has the glitz of the sunburst to offset a bracelet.

Super to get as a bonus, all the same! And, like you, can’t wait to see some pics.
    Ah makes sense. I wear my 9 on a brown perlon in the summer.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Very very nice - got me looking!

Well this arrived today and it’s a cracker. Love the fact the face is a bit more cream coloured than white; should give a few more options strap wise and is quite a bit different than the slightly off white dial on the SBGX295 I picked up recently.

Thinking a dark blue leather as a starter. Just need a GS buckle now…

Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    a bit more cream coloured than white
    Bone coloured, would you say at all?

😝

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Seiko-SBGX209

Bone coloured, would you say at all?

😝

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Seiko-SBGX209
    More anaemic custard I’d say 😂

Strap is too small but a nice little thing so if any of you in here want it, drop me a PM.

Looks great. Custard? I’m guessing you didn’t look at that link ;)

Looks great. Custard? I’m guessing you didn’t look at that link ;)
    I’d been through it twice in the earlier post and throughly enjoyed it. The custard comment came from a few of us in work trying to come with an alternative to bone.

Honourable mentions to ‘washed out cardboard’ and ‘urine stained toilet paper’.

Charming! 🤣

I guess we all see what we want to see ;)

Joking aside, I’m really delighted to find yet another member enjoying g these watches. They’re just such a great everyday wearer.

Master
    Apologies but I'm going to interrupt this thread to praise another GS three hander and the service I got from Grand Seiko. I bought a SBGX061 from eBay about a month ago. It had two minor issues. the clasp didn't work as well as it should and the crown felt sticky when setting the time. I started a thread on these too topics and got some useful suggestions. I bought the issues to the attention of the seller and he offered me either a return or a partial refund towards the cost of a service. I chose the latter.

Three weeks ago I called Seiko, they explained their service process and said I could either post the watch or drop it off at the Grand Seiko boutique on Bond St. I chose the latter as it is relatively close to my office. I called in on Thursday the 29th of March, has a nice chat with an assistant, and he took my watch and a description of the problem. He explained that their might be a few weeks of delay as Seiko are moving office including the service centre to a location very close to their then current location in Maidenhead.

About a week later I received an email from the service centre with a breakdown of costs and I told them I was happy for them to go ahead. On Monday I received a follow up email informing me the work was complete. I called yesterday to pay and I was asked when I would like the watch returned. 'Tomorrow?' I asked and lo and behold it turned up today in a very useful little service case. All told a very smooth and friendly experience. The clasp is now in tip top condition the watch has been resealed with a new battery so hopefully worry free for five more years.

I also learned a few things during my conversations.
    Seiko now have a polisher in the UK, so any full service includes a complimentary polish. This is not a full zaratsu polish.
    GS intend to discontinue selling the smaller quartz three handers which I think is a terrible shame.
    This forum is a wealth of knowledge so thanks to everyone who replied to my previous threads and the poster who helped me source a GS buckle.
    Now back to your regular broadcast.

Great to hear and a fantastic versatile watch. Shame they are discontinuing the range, I suppose part of a general move upmarket to get rid of the last great value quality proposition.

Master
    I agree. The mid market is difficult at the moment but they will lose some lovely models. I saw your post about wearing your watch on a perlon. It's not something I'd considered, but I may give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I agree. The mid market is difficult at the moment but they will lose some lovely models. I saw your post about wearing your watch on a perlon. It's not something I'd considered, but I may give it a go.
    Just a nice option for the summer, as I find leather straps too sweaty. Otherwise I wear the Snowflake as it's titanium.

Considering an overpriced rubber strap made for the GS GMT case as another alternative....

Craftsman

GS intend to discontinue selling the smaller quartz three handers which I think is a terrible shame.
    I can only agree.

The 36/37mm quartz three handers are the only models I even like in the Grand Seiko range, so discontinuing them sadly makes Grand Seiko irrelevant as a brand for me.

Can't help but think they've got it all wrong with their "hiking the price" strategy, and that goes for normal Seiko as well ...

Love your version btw. I think having text at 12 and 6 makes for a much more balanced dial than the newer iteration has, with the empty space at 6 :-)
    Last edited by 459GMB; 21st March 2024 at 09:36.

I also learned a few things during my conversations.

Very surprising news from a brand that recently introduced 34mm models, and seemed to be working as well as anyone to cater for civilised tastes.

Seiko now have a polisher in the UK, so any full service includes a complimentary polish. This is not a full zaratsu polish.
    This is also very surprising news.

Surely a non-zaratsu polish to a GS case would be a rather egregious disbenefit? I must remember to decline that particular treat (or just ask them to ship to Japan as in the past....)

English being my second language... .Google translate just proved that there is still lot of room for improvement.

I have GS but fancy only their 44 and 62 cases and no quartz so far.

My recent purchase of a quartz is a Citizen Eco drive.....and high value quartz by G Seiko and Citizen seems to be a huge barrier to me with limited budget.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 22nd March 2024 at 03:48.

Sad to hear that GS will be phasing out their cheapest models, although maybe not surprising given that they continue to push upmarket.

The current 37mm quartz models retail for 2.1K. The new 37mm quartz snowflake retails for 3.7K. Is this the shape of things to come?

Fortunately there’s a plentiful supply of older models which should keep people interested. It’s a rabbit hole once you go down it.

Master
    I've never been a Seiko (Or Honda) fan, but that is rather lovely, and thanks for a most illuminating read!

I may have to pay more attention to GS in the future.