closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone getting Hive.

Anyone getting Hive.

Just had Hive fitted, great system, anyone looking to get this, I have a code for a free dimmable bulb, when you get one fitted, just PM me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If anyone's interested I can send you a link for x2 hive bulbs, a motion sensor and hive plug package for £4 a month total cost is around £40.
    Last edited by CaptainSlow; 17th February 2018 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    If anyone's interested I can send you a link for x2 hive bulbs, a motion sensor and hive plug package for £4 a month total cost is around £40.

Thats a good offer, could you send me the link please. My code is for new signups, im guessing yours is for existing members.

I have it.

It is CRAP.

It does not turn the heating off when you leave the house like other proper systems do. It only sends your a notification (usually whilst you are driving). It is useless.

DO NOT BUY HIVE.

Master
    ive been using it for about 5 months now and its fine. i don't use the geofence function anymore as the missus goes mad as she wont have the app on her phone and when i leave the area for a few days with work i have to turn it off. the only thing that uve found is crap are the door contacts. rubbish. the camera is good if a little over sensitive. i have it looking at the garden ti keep an eye on the dog and my garage. picks up taller vehicles going past the hedge.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I have it.

It is CRAP.

It does not turn the heating off when you leave the house like other proper systems do. It only sends your a notification (usually whilst you are driving). It is useless.

DO NOT BUY HIVE.

Well I think it’s great, not crap at all, yes it sends a notification when you leave home, you then can choose if you want to turn it off, if someone is still home why would you want to turn of the heating automatically?

If that in your opinion makes the whole system crap then you are being overly critical imo.
    Last edited by jegger; 17th February 2018 at 19:50.

Master
    Hive is just a normal thermostat with remote ability imo it’s pretty poor we ripped ours out and installed tado much better zoned the whole house and the geofencing is absolutely spot on much better system .

Craftsman
    I've been looking into this recently. I think the Honeywell Evohome will work best for me personally. Everyone has different wants, needs and of course budgets. Hive has a lot of good features, but its still a limited system. For the money though its hard to discount.

I quite fancy converting us over to something like this. Not quite sure which is best...

I've two zones (upstairs & downstairs) plus water on a horstmann digital controller at present, and a robus thermostat in each zone.

I use an app called IFTTT which seems to link up to hive etc to add a few smart rules. Just not sure if it's worth the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I quite fancy converting us over to something like this. Not quite sure which is best...

I've two zones (upstairs & downstairs) plus water on a horstmann digital controller at present, and a robus thermostat in each zone.

I use an app called IFTTT which seems to link up to hive etc to add a few smart rules. Just not sure if it's worth the expense.

Ill leave others to advise you on which system, all I can say is I’m happy with Hive, (Hive will work on a duel system)yes there are more ‘smart’ systems out there, but that is a negative to me, I just want a simple device I can turn on and off when away from home, and not having to worry about it learning whether I’m in or not, or have a window open, or what the weather is like.

The remote light switch on, cameras etc are a big plus.
    Last edited by jegger; 17th February 2018 at 20:47.

Craftsman
    Had it for about a year now. We wouldn’t be without it now. Absolutely brilliant for what we require. Had no issues so far. We have the usual heating and hot water and also two bulbs which are on timer.

Thanks

Kapish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pal of mine had it fitted along with a new oil fired boiler, I had to go give hand a month back as the system was air locked, I wasn't impressed with the system, although it my have been down to the way it was installed.

I had Hive in my old house. Loved it. Nice to turn up the heating to come home to a warm house etc. Current house is much bigger plus with rooms in the lofts and extensions the rooms all heat up , and lose heat at different rates so I have the Honeywell evo. It’s a superb system with individual zone control per room. It does cost a lot more but it gives you true zone control.

Note of caution,

A friend has had it and they now have little control of their heating system. Might been the way it's been wired in from what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Note of caution,

A friend has had it and they now have little control of their heating system. Might been the way it's been wired in from what they said.
    That sounds like it’s been installed incorrectly , they have sold thousands which work correctly .

Blog Entries
    Into my eighth year of hive in my old house and now the current one and it will go into my new house when I move in hopefully the next couple of weeks it just works for me only ever had an issue when the broadband has gone down.

Craftsman
    Not got Hive in mine place I went down the nest route due to the additional features/devices they offered.

Parents however do have have and love using it, as with any IOT device if they are not installed correctly this is normally why they don't operate as expected.

jegger if i'm not mistaken hive are trying to grow outside of the UK meaning that the system should only get better.

Had nest for a year or so and i'm extremely impressed, we have definitely saved on our Oil costs.

The Home / Away feature is what does it, it knows when you go away and switches into Eco, then as you head home it go back into normal mode in time for the house to get to a reasonable temp ready as you walk in - it actually learns how long you house take to heat up from any given temp and applies this in it's calculations on when to turn on! clever stuff.

Of course if someone stays home the sensors sees motion activity at home and never switches into 'away' mode.

I have also incorporated three Nest Protect, smoke alarms and an exterior camera all work seamlessly. The Protects are good as they include a led light that enables at night as you walk past, simple but effective. They also turn the boiler off in the event of a smoke alarm triggering.

Can't recommend Nest enough.

Nest was also being run separately but has recently been brought back into Google, so hopefully the range of interaction and new devices will grow.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Had nest for a year or so and i'm extremely impressed, we have definitely saved on our Oil costs.

The Home / Away feature is what does it, it knows when you go away and switches into Eco, then as you head home it go back into normal mode in time for the house to get to a reasonable temp ready as you walk in - it actually learns how long you house take to heat up from any given temp and applies this in it's calculations on when to turn on! clever stuff.

Of course if someone stays home the sensors sees motion activity at home and never switches into 'away' mode.

I have also incorporated three Nest Protect, smoke alarms and an exterior camera all work seamlessly. The Protects are good as they include a led light that enables at night as you walk past, simple but effective. They also turn the boiler off in the event of a smoke alarm triggering.

Can't recommend Nest enough.

Nest was also being run separately but has recently been brought back into Google, so hopefully the range of interaction and new devices will grow.
    I love the look of Nest so I took a look today, I have a new build that is near completion and the wiring has been done already, I was gutted to find out that this system only works on a low voltage system. The wiring on the build being a 230v setup is not compatable :(

Poor planning on my part. Gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I love the look of Nest so I took a look today, I have a new build that is near completion and the wiring has been done already, I was gutted to find out that this system only works on a low voltage system. The wiring on the build being a 230v setup is not compatable :(

Only the Nest Thermostat (fancy dial) runs off low voltage via mains adapter. It in turn communicates wirelessly to the heat link (control unit mounted near actual boiler) which does the boiler switching (heating / hot water) and this operates at 240. This is how mine is installed and is easy to do.

However some newer boilers have OpenTherm, this allows even better control as Nest gets more information from the actual boiler eg water temp. Again this is done through the OpenLink to boiler connection.

Not sure if it solves your problem, and this is the reason I chose Hive over Nest, the Hive thermostat unit can be free standing, which is battery powered, so just the control unit needs wired in to the boiler.

The hive arrives in April, the swarm a couple of months later.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Only the Nest Thermostat (fancy dial) runs off low voltage via mains adapter. It in turn communicates wirelessly to the heat link (control unit mounted near actual boiler) which does the boiler switching (heating / hot water) and this operates at 240. This is how mine is installed and is easy to do.

However some newer boilers have OpenTherm, this allows even better control as Nest gets more information from the actual boiler eg water temp. Again this is done through the OpenLink to boiler connection.
    Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Yes, after some more research it seems my conclusion was incorrect. I think the Nest Link Control reduces 230v to 12v to the wired thermostat.....just about to order it up.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply 

Yes, after some more research it seems my conclusion was incorrect. I think the Nest Link Control reduces 230v to 12v to the wired thermostat.....just about to order it up.
    Any reason why you chose nest over hive?

I think the interface and simplicity of it appealed to me to be honest.

Totally not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but a heads up: Screwfix have an offer on at present for £159 for a Nest thermostat kit 3rd gen, which is the cheapest I can find anywhere.

I think the interface and simplicity of it appealed to me to be honest.

Totally not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but a heads up: Screwfix have an offer on at present for £159 for a Nest thermostat kit 3rd gen, which is the cheapest I can find anywhere.

No you’re fine, I nearly went for Nest too, but I wanted the ability of moving the thermostat into different rooms, whereas the nest I believe is attached to a wall?

Is the £159 fitted? As I suggest it’s worth paying to get it fitted, I nearly fitted mine, as it looked simple, but the BG engineer was here for just over an hour fitting it, well worth the extra.
    Last edited by jegger; 21st February 2018 at 01:19.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    No you’re fine, I nearly went for Nest too, but I wanted the ability of moving the thermostat into different rooms, whereas the nest I believe is attached to a wall?
    It doesn't have to be wall mounted, there is an optional stand available. It just needs to be near a socket for the power adapter to be plugged in.

https://nest.com/uk/support/article/...ing-Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    It doesn't have to be wall mounted, there is an optional stand available. It just needs to be near a socket for the power adapter to be plugged in.

https://nest.com/uk/support/article/...ing-Thermostat
    Oh right, that’s for that, still think I would have still chosen HIve tho, as the “learning” aspect of Nest put me off, the more simple the better for me, on and off, is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Into my eighth year of hive in my old house and now the current one and it will go into my new house when I move in hopefully the next couple of weeks it just works for me only ever had an issue when the broadband has gone down.
    I think you'll have trouble moving HIVE to a new home....

I heard it can't be done, but I'm happy to be corrected.

I'm on SKY Fibre and had the occasional HIVE drop in connection with their systems. Rebooting my router seems to resolve it. Happens very very occasionally.

You never actually connect directly through the app to your system, the app actually talks to HIVE's systems which in turn relay commands to the system in the home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    I think you'll have trouble moving HIVE to a new home....

I heard it can't be done, but I'm happy to be corrected.

I'm on SKY Fibre and had the occasional HIVE drop in connection with their systems. Rebooting my router seems to resolve it. Happens very very occasionally.

You never actually connect directly through the app to your system, the app actually talks to HIVE's systems which in turn relay commands to the system in the home.
    You take the hive router /hub only this ( it is your property) to the new location once the broadband is up and running then the rest of the hive system is installed
    Last edited by mart broad; 24th February 2018 at 08:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nest is on amazon deal of the day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    Last edited by Middo; 19th March 2018 at 08:53.