closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple CarPlay?

Apple CarPlay?

I've just seen an advert for a Fiat featuring Apple CarPlay, what is the difference between using that and using your phone while driving? Or am I right in assuming one is legal and one isn't?

Put another way it is illigal to put my phone in a holder in front of me, but it's ok to use that?

Apple Car Play is an interface between your phone and the car stereo. When the connection is made (some wired, some wireless), the interface on the stereo changes to the Car Play interface. You then have full control of the phone via Car Play. Here’s a demo in an Alfa, The interface is the same no matter what the car.

Master
    I don’t know about other cars, but when I’m connected to Apple CarPlay in my car I can’t make a phone call. It does give me the option of using Bing maps and using Spotify without having to search through my phone.

I have full access to my contacts in the phone through the app, and can call anyone with the sound through the car stereo (read texts and messages) - no good for personal calls with passengers, but works perfectly, and I can take calls while driving too - all through the steering wheel controls/menus too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I don’t know about other cars, but when I’m connected to Apple CarPlay in my car I can’t make a phone call. It does give me the option of using Bing maps and using Spotify without having to search through my phone.
    I don’t think it should have you got this enabled and set in a invasive mode?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/05...while-driving/

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I can make a phone call, but only through CarPlay, not through the VW phone system.

I understand the technology, one is legal one isn't, how is reading a text on the dash safer than reading a text on a phone in a holder?

Master
    The only thing I find CarPlay useful for is playing music via Deezer, even then it’s limited as I could stream it via Bluetooth anyway.

There are limited number of apps which work with CarPlay, no Waze or anything like that.

If I’d paid to have CarPlay rather than it coming as standard I’d have been rather disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I understand the technology, one is legal one isn't, how is reading a text on the dash safer than reading a text on a phone in a holder?
    The text is read to you by Siri

You can also use Siri to play music, make calls etc although it’s not always faultless ime

Master
    Interaction with the phone is done via Siri. So, you press a button and say “read my messages” and Siri will read them aloud to you. You can respond to messages (or send new ones), and can call people by just saying “call Fred”. Other iOS apps (Audible, Spotify etc) have CarPlay friendly apps which appear in the CarPlay interface, too.

I read a report a few months ago from one of the US universities, the conclusion was that voice oporated infotainment systems distract drivers more than anything else, I'll try and find it.

I read a report a few months ago from one of the US universities, the conclusion was that voice oporated infotainment systems distract drivers more than anything else, I'll try and find it.
    I wouldn’t be too surprised. Touchscreens are even worse, in my experience- I have apple CarPlay but as Siri is so regularly ineffective I used to spend too much time looking away from the road jabbing the screen trying to find podcasts and the like. A great example is that I can’t call my wife using Siri- she is in my phone as “wifey” for some reason and Siri doesn’t understand the word. When she calls or messages me, Siri tells me I have a message from “whiffy”- granted, the child in me finds this mildly amusing, but disappointingly Siri doesn’t understand this pronunciation either. I’ll change the name at some point...

I use android auto but find the whole touch screen interface must harder to use while keeping my eyes on the road, when I had buttons I could reach over and use them without looking, with a touch screen you just have to look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I don’t think it should have you got this enabled and set in a invasive mode?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/05...while-driving/
    Don’t think it’s that because my phone automatically connects to the car when I get in and I can make calls through the car system.