closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What watch to wear at an interview?

Journeyman
    I'll be having interviews in the near future and asked myself the same question. Decided against wearing the sub, or the sub homages and think i'd go with my plain understated stainless steel seiko 5.

My thinking is that the watch shouldn't affect how i get assessed at the interview but just in case it's lower risk to avoid the interviewer potentially judging me as flash or as a wannabee.

Master
    i have always worn my iwc portuguese and i have always got whatever job i interviewed for,

therefore i will always wear until that changes!

So this makes it your lucky watch. Which creates its own thread...

Craftsman
    Having interviewed very many people, and being interested in watches, I can confirm that a watch can make an impression — but it’s as much about how you wear it as the watch itself.
    Purely from my own reactions, I would say that it’s preferable to avoid extremes.
    A shirt (without jacket) worn open-necked and with the cuffs turned back to reveal a yellow gold day-date on a bracelet is unlikely to be helpful (flash tw*t). At the other end of the scale, I wonder why people turn up in Apples (sheep).
    Outside of those extremes, I find observing people’s choices of timepiece interesting. Sober pieces (anything from a s/s Seiko to a s/s Datejust) are probably preferable to wear with a suit for an executive position. Non-outrageous sports watches are OK for more action oriented positions (fine with a suit providing worn under the shirt cuff).

I must admit that, whenever I need to try to project “gravitas” nowadays, I wear this:
    https://i.imgur.com/AKwGinX.jpg

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Original Panoreserve SS; bated breath for arrival of Stowa Flieger.
    Need more . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Would you really want to work for a boss who was made envious by your watch?
    True but the interviewer may not be the one who you work for in the end. A lot of companies let HR or recruitment agencies do the initial interview.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Having interviewed very many people, and being interested in watches, I can confirm that a watch can make an impression — . . . .
    No - that says that you are influenced by it.

Of course each interviewee doesnt know the extent of that oddity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    No - that says that you are influenced by it.

Of course each interviewee doesnt know the extent of that oddity.
    Which is why I said “CAN make an impression”!

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Original Panoreserve SS; bated breath for arrival of Stowa Flieger.
    Need more . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Depends on the job.
    I probably wouldn’t wear a Rolex. Something less obvious probably, maybe an IWC?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I interview people often and frankly don’t care at all what watch they wear. I’d focus on what matters.

Master
    That’s strange - I was going to post the same question earlier in the week, just for fun really as I was having an interview on Tuesday.

I found out today that I got the job!!

The interviewers were wearing a two tone sub and a very nice Seamaster 2254.50.

I wore my 16600 SD. Happy Days!!!

Surely the right answer is any watch that displays the right time - enabling you to arrive 2 mins early to gather breath and your thoughts outside the door?

Master
    Stand out from the crowd and 'do a Schwarzkopf' with a Royal Oak Offshore on one wrist and yellow gold Submariner on the other.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 16th February 2018 at 23:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s far from the most popular brand in the world - it may be one of the most well known, or believed to be the best by more people than others.
    If it’s the most well know wouldn’t that mean it’s also the most popular as in most of the populous know about it

Craftsman
    I’ve interviewed dozens (possibly hundreds) of people at professional engineer/ technician level. I can honestly say their choice of watch has never made the slightest difference.

On the other hand, crap shoes are an immediate fail......

Journeyman
    As much as I appreciate the subtlety of some of the more modest, stainless steel Rolexes, I’d still be reluctant to wear one to an interview - there are far too many people out there with negative opinions of stereotypical Rolex wearers that I’d worry they would project on to me and, far from having the luxury of saying ‘well I wouldn’t want to work for someone like that anyway’, opinions like these are incredibly widespread (particularly in the UK).

Best to stick with something more egalitarian in the popular imagination that doesn’t raise hackles, or that is unidentifiable to most. I wore a NOMOS Club to my last job interview.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Having interviewed very many people, and being interested in watches, I can confirm that a watch can make an impression — but it’s as much about how you wear it as the watch itself.
    Purely from my own reactions, I would say that it’s preferable to avoid extremes.
    A shirt (without jacket) worn open-necked and with the cuffs turned back to reveal a yellow gold day-date on a bracelet is unlikely to be helpful (flash tw*t). At the other end of the scale, I wonder why people turn up in Apples (sheep).
    Outside of those extremes, I find observing people’s choices of timepiece interesting. Sober pieces (anything from a s/s Seiko to a s/s Datejust) are probably preferable to wear with a suit for an executive position. Non-outrageous sports watches are OK for more action oriented positions (fine with a suit providing worn under the shirt cuff).

I must admit that, whenever I need to try to project “gravitas” nowadays, I wear this:
    https://i.imgur.com/AKwGinX.jpg

Need more . . . .
    My word I’ve never heard such shallow comments, and this is a watch forum where we like shiny baubles

Journeyman
    Will wear a watch which is subtle, comfortable and I feel confident with.
    Unless the watch was really flashy or bulky, I believe interviewers would be more interested on things other than wrist watch choice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I probably wouldn’t wear a Rolex. Something less obvious probably, maybe an IWC?
    As long as it is actually working...

Craftsman
    well...I think 99,9999% of population dont give a xxxx what kind of watch you wear. Rest of people are reading this forum.

-OD

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post

Since we all love a photo, the watches mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love that Presage. What's the model number?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Love that Presage. What's the model number?
    SARY082

I wear a MUT Moon.

Surely it would depend on the job you're going for and the likely profile of the hiring manager?

If you're going for a job as say a telecoms engineer on £25k, turning up with a flashy Rolex is probably not going to help your image. But if you're going for say a high profile city job, then a decent watch is probably in keeping with the refinement of the character they're looking for.

Horses for Courses!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    My word I’ve never heard such shallow comments, and this is a watch forum where we like shiny baubles
    Completely agree. Some really sad posts on this thread. But it’s also pleasing to see that there’s some people out there who really don’t care about the watch the interviewee is wearing. I don’t interview people. But if I did, I would want to see that the interviewee had made as much effort as possible, within their means, to present themselves as smart and keen to impress. I’d be more impressed by the person who’d bought a suit from a charity shop over the one who thought flashing a Rolex would help them get the job.

Quote Originally Posted by daveholja View Post
    Whatever makes you feel most comfortable or confident.
    Indeed.

I personally would choose something neutral; not too dressy and not too sporty. I don't know the rest your collection, but something like a Seiko Presage would do nicely for me as well.

Go without if it's an issue - how would those interviewers on here feel about someone not wearing one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    If it’s the most well know wouldn’t that mean it’s also the most popular as in most of the populous know about it
    If that’s how you interpret popular, then yes absolutely - but not in my universe.
    It's just a matter of time...

The answer is Tissot Heritage Visodate with Silver Dial. Smart and sensible but still indicating an interest in horology to those in the know.

Not really the answer of course, but you could do worse.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Refinement of the character... Lol. In the last company I worked for, only the flashy sales directors wore Rolex. The CEO had a more discrete Breitling. The guys wearing the Rolex tended to be the gobbiest. I wouldn’t say “refined” in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Completely agree. Some really sad posts on this thread. But it’s also pleasing to see that there’s some people out there who really don’t care about the watch the interviewee is wearing. I don’t interview people. But if I did, I would want to see that the interviewee had made as much effort as possible, within their means, to present themselves as smart and keen to impress. I’d be more impressed by the person who’d bought a suit from a charity shop over the one who thought flashing a Rolex would help them get the job.
    And yet, wearing the wrong shoes is a perfectly good reason to reject a human being as worthy of interest, according to some here...

Face facts, MUCH as we'd all like to think we have no prejudices and we can totally ignore first impressions, it's not true.

Some will immediately take against someone because they have a beard or a tattoo or a Rolex or a £500 pair of shoes (or they don't have one of any of them).

They MAY overcome that prejudice during an interview, but anything you can do to prevent a negative first impression is a good thing.

If you're aiming for a job in sales, a big shiny Rolex might make the sales director think you're a successful salesman, to afford such a watch (as long as it's not better than his), whereas it may make you look brash and flashy to another.

Sure, you can say "I wouldn't work for someone who makes such a decision", but maybe he/she's not even aware that it's the watch that's playing a major part in that impression of you.

The reality is that we all make judgements on people we meet on the flimsiest of evidence (a quick Google suggests 7 seconds is all it takes!).

In some cases, prolonged contact makes us realise how wrong we were about someone, but an interview is, by definition, a finite (and usually short) period of time and that first impression weighs heavily.

Thankfully, though, most of the time it's what you say (and how) that makes the biggest impression.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 19th February 2018 at 09:54.

Master
    Doesn’t matter what you wear on your wrist, or the shoes, suit or anything else.

As already said by many, everyone has their opinions on first impressions etc.

Trying to work out what the interviewer likes / dislikes etc, is a nonstarter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodan View Post
    As much as I appreciate the subtlety of some of the more modest, stainless steel Rolexes, I’d still be reluctant to wear one to an interview - there are far too many people out there with negative opinions of stereotypical Rolex wearers that I’d worry they would project on to me and, far from having the luxury of saying ‘well I wouldn’t want to work for someone like that anyway’, opinions like these are incredibly widespread (particularly in the UK).

Best to stick with something more egalitarian in the popular imagination that doesn’t raise hackles, or that is unidentifiable to most. I wore a NOMOS Club to my last job interview.
    I think this nails it. Rightly or wrongly, some people will allow their judgments of others to be informed by the choice of watch. Rolex is the most recognized brand out there as well as the one most likely to attract negative opinions. As such, best to play safe with something more discreet.

Master
    So what if you are interviewing someone, and they obviously are wearing an ugly fake Rolex / Omega / Breitling ?

Maybe ask to see the watch and make sure you have a hammer in your bag just in case? :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    So what if you are interviewing someone, and they obviously are wearing an ugly fake Rolex / Omega / Breitling ?

Maybe ask to see the watch and make sure you have a hammer in your bag just in case? :)
    Probably no need to beat them to death with a hammer. Walking around with an ugly fake Rolex / Omega / Breitling should be punishment enough.

Craftsman
    I would wear a single handed watch to give the message that I don't count seconds when I work and like calculations and approximations :) Not sure whether the interviewer would understand the same thing though!

Master
    Don’t wear a watch at all, plead poverty during the interview, and mention if you got the position you could finally afford to buy one

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Well ... that basically happened to me years ago. I complimented the guy on his nice Longines Classic, and he told me (proudly even, I must say) that it was a fake he bought in Turkey ... I didn't progress the subject further ;-)