closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What watch to wear at an interview?

What watch to wear at an interview?

This maybe a stupid question but what watch do you wear to an interview?
    I read an article (can find the link now) which said not to wear a watch like a Rolex to an interview. Not sure why but for some reason I took it to heart and wore a nice Seiko Presage. I’m lucky enough to get to the next stage and will stick with a Seiko, this time a Grand Seiko.
    I’m lucky enough to have a few of the well known ‘luxury’ brands such as Rolex, Omega, and Breitling, but have chosen the Seiko both times. I suppose the real question is why did I, all be it subliminally, agree with the article and why should the choice of watch matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we all love a photo, the watches mentioned.

I always used to wear a Rolex. I can count on one hand the number of interviews for which I wasn’t offered the job - it was all down to the watch imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

I can't imagine any interviewer giving a toss about what watch the interviewee was wearing, unless it's a company run by morons?

Master
    Unless the interview's in Italy, nobody'll know what you're wearing.

If it's in Italy, don't wear a Rolex. They'll think you're a waiter.

(If you wear a Seiko, they won't know what it is.)

Actually, wherever it is, don't wear a watch at all. It'll be one less thing to distract them from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I always used to wear a Rolex. I can count on one hand the number of interviews for which I wasn’t offered the job - it was all down to the watch imo.
    Similarly, I've never had a job and put my failure in interviews down to not being able to afford a Rolex. It's a curious Catch 22; can't get the Rolex without a job, can't get a job without a Rolex.

Providing the watch fits under the shirt cuff, I can't imagine that an interviewer will even see it. Thinking back to when I recruited staff, I don't remember ever noticing anyone's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Unless the interview's in Italy, nobody'll know what you're wearing.

If it's in Italy, don't wear a Rolex. They'll think you're a waiter.

(If you wear a Seiko, they won't know what it is.)

Actually, wherever it is, don't wear a watch at all. It'll be one less thing to distract them from you.
    I’d be wary of someone not wearing a watch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    This maybe a stupid question...
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Providing the watch fits under the shirt cuff, I can't imagine that an interviewer will even see it. Thinking back to when I recruited staff, I don't remember ever noticing anyone's watch.
    I also recruit but do find myself trying to look at what they are wearing. But I also do this with randoms on the train. This being said, the choice of watch wouldn’t affect my decisions, as I’m just interested.
    Perhaps my worry is that with a Rolex, even though it’s possibly the most popular watch brand in the world, some people may think ‘flash twat’ and judge.

Craftsman
    I had an interview for a job as an 80's rapper, I found the kitchen clock I wore around my neck really contributed to my success.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Yep.
    Constructive

I also recruit but do find myself trying to look at what they are wearing. But I also do this with randoms on the train. This being said, the choice of watch wouldn’t affect my decisions, as I’m just interested.
    Perhaps my worry is that with a Rolex, even though it’s possibly the most popular watch brand in the world, some people may think ‘flash twat’ and judge.

It’s far from the most popular brand in the world - it may be one of the most well known, or believed to be the best by more people than others.

It’s far from the most popular brand in the world - it may be one of the most well known, or believed to be the best by more people than others.
    Apologies. By popular, I was thinking by sales volume (excluding the Apple Watch)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    The watch you choose, and everything else really depends on the job you are trying to get, and what kind of person you think they are after. The Grand Seiko would work in many situations but I would hesitate to show up wearing the Presage.

If you really want to impress at an interview, then research the company you want to work for and the job you want to do and ask intelligent questions. If there is no risk of intimidating or scaring the interviewers (make them afraid that you will take their job), then you could suggest ways you think that the company could move forward and improve.

Apprentice
    This Rolex model will always catch the eye of an interviewer. How it will be perceived, I haven't the foggiest. It might work if one is applying for a job with Siegfried and Roy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bannon; 16th February 2018 at 02:38.

I used to worry about the very same subject:

Rolex, Breitling, Omega?

But it was only when mummy explained to me, that as long as I wore my lucky underpants........ the watch would make no difference.

After that - interviews were a breeze!

Good old mummy!

Master
    Depends on the job. If you're going for a job with Rolex, don't wear a Seiko!

It doesn’t matter. Almost no interviewer will notice what you’re wearing, and of those that do, almost none will care.

Nothing

Master
    Echo that it depends on the job. If it makes sense to wear normally everyday in the job, then I'd have no qualms wearing a Rolex.

The GS though I think works in most situations.

Journeyman
    Whatever makes you feel most comfortable or confident.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    The watch you choose, and everything else really depends on the job you are trying to get, and what kind of person you think they are after. The Grand Seiko would work in many situations but I would hesitate to show up wearing the Presage.

If you really want to impress at an interview, then research the company you want to work for and the job you want to do and ask intelligent questions. If there is no risk of intimidating or scaring the interviewers (make them afraid that you will take their job), then you could suggest ways you think that the company could move forward and improve.
    Don't worry about the Presage, to just about everyone it is just a watch, the only watch I would avoid is Rolex as to some it can speak to your character.

Master
    I wear a clock around my neck like flavour flav. It's a bold look but it makes me look like a great hype man

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I used to worry about the very same subject:

Rolex, Breitling, Omega?

But it was only when mummy explained to me, that as long as I wore my lucky underpants........ the watch would make no difference.

After that - interviews were a breeze!

Good old mummy!
    More breeze if commando.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post

I think you should intimidate them to such a degree that they give you the job on the spot. You know, go in hard and threaten them with an axe or something - make them really afraid.

But what watch to wear while wielding an axe - Rolex or Grand Seiko? Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Which watch would you wear to work every day if you got the job?

Wear that one. Good luck with the next interview.

Master
    Obvious, Omega Plo Prof white dialed with white rubber strap . Remember to construct a very big tie knot and spike your hair (any hair left ) with shiny wax product.
    You’ll be a star , particularly if you follow the STAR technique!

If they notice your watch and will judge you on it, then they are likely someone you don't want to work for.

No point attracting attention to the watch so maybe one of your smaller ones. Interview is meant to be about you - not the watch

Master
    As with most of us here, I'm a watch geek and enjoy spotting what people are wearing when out and about. However I've interviewed at least 2 people every week for the past 3 months and I can't remember noticing any of their watches. Could be a pink Disney Happy Meal watch for all I care. If that's my attitude I can't believe a "normal" interviewer has even come close to noticing.

Grand Master
    I find a nice Jacob & Co speaks volumes
    RIAC

When I had a real job around age 19/20 my sales manager took me under his wing and became almost like a second father. He schooled me in dressing for the client as I had a few flash bespoke suits. It is a fine balance between looking good/professional and not alienating the person you are going to see. Depends on the company you are visiting, you basically want to come off as having taste/style or whatever, but ego and particularly ostentation are rarely welcome. Depends on your age, but some young gun rocking up wearing a Rolex would just come off as a pretentious w*nker generally... Unless you are in the realms of people who wear true horology on a day to day basis.

tl;dr = depends where you're going for the interview.

A diamond-bezelled Daytona, naturally.

Apologies. By popular, I was thinking by sales volume (excluding the Apple Watch)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The stats just show the sales figures for the single brand in monetary terms. So yes in terms of turnover, but id suspect nowhere close to volume of units sold compared to the lines of citizen and casio etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I can't imagine any interviewer giving a toss about what watch the interviewee was wearing, unless it's a company run by morons?
    Morons like us who are watch enthusiasts?

I think it would depend on the job I was going for. I don't own a Rolex but depending on what I'm wearing to the interview I might wear one. Also I wouldn't want to make the interviewer envious.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

As long as it slips discreetly under the cuff out of sight(the way it should be IMO) I don't think it should matter, wear your lucky one

If I was conducting an interview I certainly wouldn't like to notice an interviewee flashing an expensive watch around but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Master
    If I knew that someone who I was interviewing for a job had asked a question like this on a forum, I would have cause for concern. I would ask him a simple question. Does he think I am stupid enough to make a decision of whether or not to employ him based on what watch he is wearing and also why would it affect his decision if he was conducting the interview himself.

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    I think it would depend on the job I was going for. I don't own a Rolex but depending on what I'm wearing to the interview I might wear one. Also I wouldn't want to make the interviewer envious.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Would you really want to work for a boss who was made envious by your watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If I knew that someone who I was interviewing for a job had asked a question like this on a forum, I would have cause for concern. I would ask him a simple question. Does he think I am stupid enough to make a decision of whether or not to employ him based on what watch he is wearing and also why would it affect his decision if he was conducting the interview himself.
    Fair question I thought, some people are biased by things such as this and never underestimate the amount of stupid folk out there.
    I do agree that it should not matter but for some it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Yep, exactly.

Wouldn't matter, in fact doesn't matter to me. We hire people on their experience, skills, competence and / or whatever else is essential then desirable for the role. To use anything else to sway your decision is just stupid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Fair question I thought, some people are biased by things such as this and never underestimate the amount of stupid folk out there.
    I do agree that it should not matter but for some it does.

- - - Updated - - -
    Yes it would matter to about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of the population.

Yes it would matter to about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% of the population.
    Fair point, but that is true of most of our posts on the forum anyway.

Master
    What makes you comfortable and confident was the right answer ^^^^.
    I wouldn't employ someone based on their watch choice but it is a small part of the overall impression you make. Anything other than a more extreme choice is fine. Wearing a pink G-Shock or a diamond encrusted Rolex says something about you to the interviewer. What it says to them is for you to figure out..... Are you applying to be a lap dancer or work on a market stall?

It may not be as daft a question as some think.

I've worked with a number of salesman over the years who've owned high-end cars, but preferred to visit clients in something fairly mundane because some people would think "I'm paying too much if he can afford a car like that".

It may be the sign that the client is a moron (As suggested earlier), but would you really want to create the wrong first impression - They are, no matter what we'd like to think, very hard to undo!

I've an interview next week - I'll probably wear my vintage Zenith as it's a good size to wear with a shirt cuff.

I don't suppose, either, that anyone who does notice it will form any kind of opinion about me from it, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Are you applying to be a lap dancer or work on a market stall?
    Are those the only jobs left in a pre-Brexit Britain?

M

It's not the watch you wear it's about "flashing" the bloody thing by shooting your shirt-cuff to draw attention to it. If it lives under you cuff who is going to know?
    This is true as long as it's not one of those huge new Breitlings that sag down and inhibit all wrist movement.

Do you think about how you’re going to dress for an interview?
    Most people do, regardless of how shallow some may think it is. Of course you need to be comfortable with the image you are projecting (or it will be a disaster) and appropriate for the position, but neglecting to pay attention to your general appearance is stupid.
    How much importance the interviewer gives to your sartorial decisions is only relevant when it impacts negatively. You won’t get the job because of your bespoke Saville Row suit, but you may lose it because of your dirty t-shirt and your shorts.
    Likewise, you’ll never get a job because you wear the ‘right’ watch but if the interviewer is into his watch wearing an obvious fake for example would probably get him to judge you as we judged the fake apologists here.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d be wary of someone not wearing a watch ;)
    Me too, shows a lack of interest in managing lifes most valuable asset, time.

I wore a Royal Oak to my last interview. Those who know will appreciate it and those who don’t know will see it as a normal watch.

I would not recommend wearing something that’s all gold or filled with diamonds.

Master
    I wore a GS snowflake to my last interview. Much like the previous post. To a non watch person it doesn't look brash or expensive, but to someone in the know (you have to be lucky to be interviewed by someone who would recognise this model), it would be appreciated