closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laughable Rado valuation

Banned

Laughable Rado valuation

I bought a Rado jubile mens integral Watch from a jewellers 8 years ago for £1300 . I won’t name this so called “expert jewellers” and this is the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought in my life. I took it back to said jewellers in hope of selling it them back and putting it towards my first Rolex. I had everything, box, original paperwork, Watch in perfect condition because it’s a Rado and doesn’t scratch being a ceramic......and they offered me the incredible sum of....£40 .....WTF
    I know Rado depreciation is bad but cmon !!!

Sounds like a deal. For a laugh I entered one of my cars details with We buy any car and they offered me £50 for a 2004 Audi A4 Avant TDI with full leather and 60k miles, just serviced with new tires and at least £60 worth of diesel in the tank. :)

You can buy nice cheap Rado watches from Ashfords.
    It's just a matter of time...

We looked at upgrading the sapphire in the ring of my wife's. To make the upgrade worthwhile, the new stone would have been £1500 or so, but they got a range in, so we saw everything from £700 to £2000.

The £700 stone wasnt as good colour, clarity or as big as the one she already had. Their offer for hers... £50.

Needless to say we haven't been back there.

Laughable Rado valuation

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sounds like a deal. For a laugh I entered one of my cars details with We buy any car and they offered me £50 for a 2004 Audi A4 Avant TDI with full leather and 60k miles, just serviced with new tires and at least £60 worth of diesel in the tank. :)
    Still got it? I would be interested if so..

WBAC offered my Missus £5 for her Yaris, it had miles but still a tidy car that I got £400 for, apparently they offer you less when you take it in as they pick every ding and knock off money..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 16th February 2018 at 01:20.

Banned
    Wow... I am sure you will be able to get a fair price if you sell it yourself. Getting dealers to sell things for you can be very expensive. They have rent to pay and mouths to feed...

You must like it since you paid so much money for it. You could always just keep it and enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pateklover View Post
    I bought a Rado jubile mens integral Watch from a jewellers 8 years ago for £1300 . I won’t name this so called “expert jewellers” ....I took it back to said jewellers in hope of selling it them back and putting it towards my first Rolex. I had everything, box, original paperwork, Watch in perfect condition because it’s a Rado and doesn’t scratch being a ceramic......and they offered me the incredible sum of....£40 .....WTF !
    Why would you not name them?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask what you expected them to offer you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Can I ask what you expected them to offer you?
    Minimum of £400

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Why would you not name them?
    A precious metal plus the name of the bad guy in the matrix

Minimum of £400

- - - Updated - - -

Why not put it on eBay and see what you get for it? As mentioned above, Goldsmiths have to get it checked over and then sell it so they'll lowball you in comparison to eBay bidders.

It’s simple really, they don’t want your watch but rather than say so, it’s easier to give you an unacceptable valuation.

Considering that it’s an eight year old, niche watch that they may get £3-400 for in their window, it really isn’t worth much more to them.

Most Rado men’s quartz watches seem to be selling for £2-300 on eBay so you’re definitely not going to get £400.

Minimum of £400
    good luck with that.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The quote you have been given is way too low but unfortunately I think if you don't buy the right brand at the right price you'll always get a shock on resale / trade in prices.

A lot of the watches that are new and in the £1000-£2000 price range will cost £300 upwards to service which is likely to surprise many and if bulk at that and wanted to trade in your watch you will probably look at getting back around 20-35% of retail.

I've been burned a few times by buying nice watches or reasonably good high street names only to be burned; shame as I like flipping and changing my watches regularly to keep things fresh.

Craftsman
    I was in Northampton on a job yesterday and found a wonderful selection of “Rido” watches for a similar price in the market. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As said, they just don't want it. It'll be taking up valuable display space for which the opportunity cost when compared to the number of watches they might be able to turn around in the same amount of time it'll take for yours to sell could easily run into the hundreds of pounds.

Not sure on the exact model but some have sold around £300 so the jewellers was never going to offer you £400

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

WBAC offered my Missus £5 for her Yaris, it had miles but still a tidy car that I got £400 for, apparently they offer you less when you take it in as they pick every ding and knock off money..
    Still have it. It was never for sale, it's been bullet proof so far, I was just curious.

Minimum of £400

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy a nice one new from Ashfords for between 300-400 reduced from around 2000 apparently, so I wouldn't be paying a lot for one as a used buy either.

Still have it. It was never for sale, it's been bullet proof so far, I was just curious.
    Ah right, I have an A3 Sportback TDI and as you say bullet proof, was thinking of an estate again at some point hence my interest..

Master
    Expert jewellers...Goldsmiths.

Be consistent.

Minimum of £400
    Laughable Rado valuation, right there.

I am sorry to have to say that in a jewellers an offer of £150 - 200 would have been excellent money.

Can I ask were you asking them to buy it or take it in PX?

I have an excellent deal on an IWC and a Breitling taken in part payment for a Rolex not from Goldsmith though I should add.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Well, what can you expect of a firm that have a USP of "If you don't mind being screwed on price as long as you don't need to get off your arse, call us first!"?

M

You can buy a nice one new from Ashfords for between 300-400 reduced from around 2000 apparently, so I wouldn't be paying a lot for one as a used buy either.
    Indeed - OP, I would have bitten their hand off @ £40.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 16th February 2018 at 20:45.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Sadly second hand value is probably low, however 40 is most likely way to low (not knowing model) but since the store wants to make a profit, pay wages etc. and paying 400 probably means little, or no, extra money. Probably better sell it on sales corner...

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I am sorry to have to say that in a jewellers an offer of £150 - 200 would have been excellent money.
    I was going to say that an offer of £100 would be fair. OP is way too optimistic at £400...it’s an 8 year old used £1300 Rado.

Master
    Sounds about right to me

Unfortunately comes down to a bad purchase in the first place (we've all done it), if you think of resale Rado and similar makes of that level are a touch above fashion watches like Marc Jacobs, Armani.

Ebay is your friend here I think.

Craftsman
    I have one that I bought pre-owned about 8 years ago. It was a year old and I only paid 1/3rd of the retail price then!

Had it serviced last year at a cost of £200, and I probably wouldn't see that back if I sold it now.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app