closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anybody Ever Comment on Your Watch

Master
    Often get comments on the Corum Bubble along the lines of "that's weird" The Rado Ceramica often gets comments also as it's a bit odd looking.

No - not a dicky sausage.

A bloke spotted my Bremont MBII as i checked the time, he was saving for one.
    Somebody asked me what my Tudor Pelagos was as it was so clear and easy to read.
    My Hulk has had a couple of comments, the usual, is it real from a young scally and the odd compliment from people that recognise it.
    My Black Bay Black has been recognised too.

I deal with the public too much for my liking and they don't expect to see such nice watches in my type of job.

I'll comment on anything unusual or something that i have too.

Only a friend who also has a small collection and a colleague at a evening do.

Other than that people have only commented on a Casio and Swatch.

Craftsman

Cartier

Had a young women stroke my Cartier whilst it was on my wrist. Not sure if it was a come on or a attempted mugging.

Craftsman
    I haven't received any comments from normal people. Once a guy complemented on my 16610LV with "Nice, Steinshart pal".

At work, people know I like watches as they see me on here... so get comments every so often if I'm retouching a picture if they like it. The last complement I had was from my Mum on a Swatch I picked up after Christmas for nostalgic reasons - she liked the design and she loves they they replace the batteries on hers for free! Nice she noticed it.

I've had more comments on this recent arrival in the last week than I have on the rest of my watches in the last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Rarely had a comment about watches in all the time I’ve been collecting. That was until I recently bought this one. It appears to attract a lot of attention whenever it’s worn. First watch ever!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s cool - what model is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by groove65 View Post
    That’s cool - what model is that ?

Apart from MM obviously - is there a sub code for that blue dial ?

Quote Originally Posted by groove65 View Post
    Apart from MM obviously - is there a sub code for that blue dial ?

SLA015 no.2/200 made exclusively for the German AD's. Recent purchase on SC thanks to Vinstink. Seiko also did the MM300 Zimbe SLA013J for the Thailand AD's limited to 222 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    On holiday last year I noticed the guy at the next table eying up my JLC Reverso UT Duoface. When he looked away briefly I flipped it from the white face to the black....the expression on his face when he looked at it again was priceless.
    Brilliant

I've always wanted to do that. Maybe in the future the smart watches will be so convincing as normal timepieces you could change the face with just a button. I would love to see the look on someones face when they look away and each time it looks like a different watch.

Never one of the mechanical or automatics, but as soon as the garmin buzzes with a notification then someone always asks oh is that a smart Watch?

Master
    Tag Monaco McQueen CW2113

Mainly women who liked the looks and a couple of guys who knew it was a Monaco. I think I got more comments on this than anything.

Rolex 14060M

Women never noticed , guys noticed but only mentioned it a while after knowing me and mainly to ask "is it real".

B&R 03-92 steel on black PVC.

Not one comment. I liked it though.

Uboat Classico black

Women no comments. One mate loved it so much eventually I sold it to him.

Omega Seamaster Deville 711 steel (1972)

Women , love it and ask about it. Men , one or two of my more classic urbane friends expressed positive notice.

Omega Seamaster 501 gold plated 1959.

Women love it and comment on how pretty it is ( have to say I agree with them , its very pleasing to the eye) , Men remark on it positively (this now lives on my girlfriend's wrist).

Omega F300 Seamaster Chronometer (1972) ( usually my daily wearer but I'll be resting it as I feel given its age I should go easy on it)

Women no comment . Men occasionally . I take it off and let people hear the hum...then I tell them its powered by a chip of plutonium and not to have any x-rays to their head for the next 12 months)

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I've had more comments on this recent arrival in the last week than I have on the rest of my watches in the last year!

On that strap... I'm not surprised!

Master
    Very rarely.

I've probably had 3 or 4 comments in the last 4 years on my various Rolex and Tudors since I started buying 'nice' watches.

Until I spent this weekend just gone in Dubai and must have had 5 or 6 comments on my Deepsea which felt a bit weird.

Today my Reverso Duo got commented on by a colleague that knows I acquired a watch with two dials a couple of years ago....'oooh other side today' she said, spotting I had swapped over to the black dial in the last couple of days from the far more used front dial

Most of my comments have been regarding my Dornbluth 99.1, which they deem classy, the others not a peep except for the occasional "is that Rolex real mate"

Blog Entries
    My wife’s brother’s daughter (niece?) rather liked my TT YM. She is a young Californian so don’t know if that makes any difference.

Otherwise the only attention they get is from my work colleagues who reckon I spends far too much on watches.

Master
    Someone commented on my Speedmaster the other day, he had an Oris Aquis but was wearing a Seiko at the time for work, the only other time I can remember someone comment was when I had my Breitling Chronomat.

On the other hand, when ever I have commented on a nice Watch someone was wearing they've cut the conversation very short as if they don't want to talk wrist candy, needless to say I don't bother anymore, as said most folk are not into Watches, and that includes some people that are wearing Watches well into the thousands, just show pieces I guess

We are a rare breed fellow brothers!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    On the other hand, when ever I have commented on a nice Watch someone was wearing they've cut the conversation very short as if they don't want to talk wrist candy,
    Yes, I noticed that too. Many people get quite defensive when you ask about their watch, even going so far as to state that they didn't pay full retail price on it ... as if they're a bit ashamed of how much they spent on a watch.

But sometimes people do come with interesting stories, both about vintage and new ones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    On that strap... I'm not surprised!
    Wears it with 'Pride'? LOL

Usually at work I get comments from other people saying nice, when they have no idea what the Pam 560 is. I do have a boss at work who’s into watches so we often spark up conversation.

When I bought my car last year, then salesman commented on my U Boat saying it was a big - he had a point.

My local AD commented on my Arnie, but only when I was discussing the Omega SMPc with him, he couldn’t believe the age of me and the watch (sure it was a sales tactic)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The two I’ve received most comments on are the SARB017 Alpinist and Speedbird lll. In fact, two work colleagues bought their own Speedbirds after seeing mine on a regular basis. A chap who works at our local post office once complimented my Seiko 7C43 Pepsi diver. On the other hand, I must confess to complimenting others on their watches when appropriate.

Not recently, and less so since I have been wearing a Rolex baseball cap!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    Yeh that’s what I’ve thought before, I always feel ultra conscious about wearing my Rolex so maybe subconsciously I try keep it lowkey
    I think also that there are so many fake rolex's around that some people may notice it and not say a word as they may think they will embarress you by bringing attention to it! I wore a bi metal Datejust for over a year and never had a comment on it. That being said I don't think most people care enough about watches to notice, I can't really remember getting comments on any of my watches including Rolex, Omega, Raymond Weil, Smiths or Vostok! The vostok is the most likely one out of all of them to get comments I suppose as it has the scuba dude dial (a possible talking point?)

Master
    Recently a friend saw my orange monster and asked if it was a rolex

Grand Master
    Everyday........the lads at work always ask "what expensive watch" are you wearing today,and go on to say,I don't know how you dare wear it in our job.

Blog Entries

Does Anybody Ever Comment on Your Watch

The dispensary lady at my local chemist was wearing a Casio g-shock m5610. Unfortunately it was me doing the commenting as I had never seen one in the flesh . It prompted me to buy a few . She was very happy to chat about it and I think I educated her on a few things . She was wearing it head inside the wrist which I thought was strange . I told her later on I’d bought one but she was pretty nonchalant .

My three year old son always had said “is that your clock dad? He being a young boy tends to leave out the letter L in clock which we all find amusing .

Last edited by bond; 25th February 2018 at 17:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Everyday........the lads at work always ask "what expensive watch" are you wearing today,and go on to say,I don't know how you dare wear it in our job.
    From memory I think you drive for a living like myself?

If so I think you can wear an expensive watch as long as your careful, I pull my gloves over my Watch when unloading ECT.

Master
    Usually only by people in the know...

Journeyman
    I usually get for unusual ones, like 24H Raketa or for "in your face" ones like Casio ProTrek.

Master
    I used to get comments from two colleagues that were also into watches. We used to have good conversations at work about all of our watches. Sadly now in the office I work, it is full of Apple watches and similar Garmin type things, and a couple of the girls were Michael Kors quartz watches.

The watch that has had most attention is the Ploprof on mesh which has had a lot of people staring, and a few comments (along the lines of "what the f*** is that, and then worried I may clock them with it) :)

Craftsman
    TBH I don't want people to comment on my watches. Maybe im odd but the biggest kick I get is from myself wearing them.

Master
    My wife...

"what kind of Grandpa watch is that FFS!?"

(vintage)

"arent you too old for kids watch!?"

(any digital, incl Gshock)

"holly Mother of god who do you think you are, Escobar!?"

(I wore Bulova President Day Date in gold plating with crystal markers a while ago)

Journeyman
    I quite often have people comment but think I’m surrounded by other watch fanatics.

Rather unexpectedly this morning my barber noticed my Avenger II and we spent a good 10 minutes talking about watches - no progress made on the hair.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just about every watch I've put on a mesh has garnered very positive comments. Most notably LLD and Precista.
    Panerai from watch and non watch men and women has always got comments - and not just Jezus, look at the size of that or Is there something wrong with your eyes.
    Orange Sawtooth Seiko went down a storm when twinned with an orange tie - I don't think I ever wore that combo again - other clothes were also being worn.
    Rolex comments mostly about being paid too much and is it real nonsense.
    Vintage omega and Rolex dress watches, particularly gold, always appreciated by men and women of taste and/or dubious motives.
    I have more difficulty thinking of watches that haven't been commented on...
    Gray

Master
    It probably depends a lot on your typical environment. Some will lend themselves to watches being noticed. If these are then also environments where people are familiar and comfortable with each other e.g. a large office, then I suspect you'll be more likely to get comments.

Happened to me on a plane a few days ago. I was wearing my Omega SMP and the guy accross the isle said “great watches those are” thanks I replied, “I said with you” he was wearing an all gold Sub. Struck up a conversation and he wore it for everything, washing the car etc. Fair play.

Craftsman
    The watch that I've had the most comments on is my IWC Aquatimer Chrono 'Tribute to Calypso'. Its 44mm with bright blue dial and black sub dials. So it does stand out a little

Oddly I find the less expensive a watch I wear the more people tend to notice, which I find interesting.

I borrowed a friend's Mondaine for a few days once and I must have been asked about it at least twice a day. Many of those were work colleagues who normally see me wearing a Planet Ocean or a Chronomat, but nobody's ever asked me about either of those.

Journeyman
    Tudor Black Bay gets the most comments when worn on a black nato or Bulang and Sons vintage leather strap.

Craftsman
    Not often for me, but I prefer it that way. I like knowing what I have and wearing them, for example it kinda feel abit weird when your colleagues ask you what watch your wearing that day

Master
    Never had comments until I wore the new Pepsi, but thick and fast since!

Craftsman
    No never had any comments apart from a good friend of mine who likes his watches.
    I am happy with the lack of comments long may it continue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have had plenty of comments on this one

People seem to like it, the colour helps and the yellow is just as popular

Just shows that the normos don't have any taste when it comes to watches :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

What a terrific looking watch. So stylish and legible. I love it!

Craftsman
    Have had comments from close friends that are also into watches. We’re often looking out for what new delight one of us may have acquired.

Other than that the only watch that drew attention & comments was a PM rainbow Daytona that I wore for somthing like a month.

Master
    My mother would often ask "Is that another new watch?" As I don't wear to visit her until a watch is a few weeks into my possession I can honestly reply with a no.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Today, I found myself in a situation when I realised that I'll probably never comment on another person's watch, I'm just too inhibited. I was riding a bus today and next to me was standing a very old man looking completely inconspicuous with his boring shirt and a bag of greengroceries - except for his Omega Speedmaster LCD, the cool round version. He was holding on to to the grab rail so I got a very good look at the watch and as far as I could tell it was the real thing, a bit beaten up (possibly his only watch) but working fine. I'm very much a digital watch fan and I think the Speedmaster LCD is awesome ... but I couldn't bring myself to say anything, everything that came to my mind felt too weird. So there - I bet a fair share of people around us who notice our watches keep it to themselves.